We Need To Have A Real Conversation About Starfield's Supposed Scope & Complexity

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Star Wars definitely does not have more going on that Starfield…

No Man’s Sky comparisons are fun and all but the major difference is that there’s actually a narrative, characters and work put into world building.

NMS is a dynamic living game world but it’s missing anything that even closely represents a story.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Object persistence being touted as a reason for no 60fps will never not be funny to me

See all that space cheese? You can stack them!

Such a worthless feature
this is just pure lies. isn't Skyrim on Switch? which has a mobile cpu, gpu and all hardware is beyond shit, still it has object persistence on there.. such a miracle japanese hardware? 😂

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Even NMS is more ambitious and don't get me started on Star Citizen which is in another galaxy when it comes to ambition.

I'll be getting the game on PC if it reviews well but the hyperbolic statements coming from journalists and people who don't even play space games that are trying to prop the game as Xbox's savior are annoying. It's Fallout in Space with procedurally created planets and ship building. It doesn't have the scale of No Man's Sky nor does it begin to scratch the scope or detail of Star Citizen. The fact that planetary landings are a loading screen already makes it way less ambitious than No Man's Sky which already has way more planets, multiplayer, VR, base building, Capital ship building and customization, vehicles and flying and landing on planets seamlessly without loading screens. Star Citizen has all that (except VR which is still in development) and more.

With that said, it still has its own unique elements like the Bathesda RPG elements which don't exist in NMS or Star Citizen and it has an interesting ship building system which allows you to completely overhaul the exterior looks of your ship even if it doesn't go wild with the interior like No Man's Sky allows you to do with Capital Ships. The game has promise and an opportunity to stand out in its own way but the people overhyping it as the most ambitious game or biggest game are beyond delusional.
Yep if star citizen existed as a completed product i 100% would be all into that instead of starfield, it's basically everything i want out of a space game. but starfield will have the benefit of mainstream appeal being on console and releasing first. I agree I think it's going to be a good game but the ambition being touted by the press reads more like PR and not actually based on anything we've seen from the footage or details.

Reactions: FIREK2029

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
You'll have to excuse me if I type something that's already been said, it's late and I'm quite tired.
Starfield's online discourse cements one thing imo: People don't understand programming, at all.
It being 30 FPS isn't due to it "super ambitious mega giga world with thousands of things to keep track of", it's due to Bethesda hacking together many systems to a OLD ass engine.
Object permanence isn't this monster of a task that needs to take an increasingly amount of overhead, neither is the entire universe being accessible, you just load the world spaces between transitions. The game doesn't need to calculate everything, everywhere at every single second, people are just setting themselves up for disappointment believing Todd's lies once more. (He can lie to me any time though, I don't believe him but god I like hearing him talk)
Starfield doesn't even have seamless transition between planets. All it has is size, the bulk of it probably empty and procedurally generated.

Other than that it has Fallout like combat, bad animations, ugly characters, silly story, and everything else you expect of a Bethesda game.

morbidviews98

Banned
14 Jun 2023
Yep if star citizen existed as a completed product i 100% would be all into that instead of starfield, it's basically everything i want out of a space game. but starfield will have the benefit of mainstream appeal being on console and releasing first. I agree I think it's going to be a good game but the ambition being touted by the press reads more like PR and not actually based on anything we've seen from the footage or details.
Star Citizen is a tech demo that is never getting finished. It's a scam and it's super janky. Also it's a MMO....

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Object persistence being touted as a reason for no 60fps will never not be funny to me

See all that space cheese? You can stack them!

Such a worthless feature
It keeps calculating the physics of every single object, every NPC movement, planet movement, asteroids, ships and all at all time for every frame in every second.

Each planet is as large as the whole world in fallout 4, has the same depth in character development for its NPC and they all have a full adventure on them, all being different in theme and scope. In fact when you reach earth you get to play the whole fallout 4 on it. Then every planet has a space shooter game around it with a story and missions, some moons have all this as well!

So all 1000 planets offer 60+ hours of gameplay each being a self contained open world game more complex than anything available on the market before, and you can hop from one to the next and come back at any moment with everything being persistent on all of them.

We are lucky this game runs at half a frame per minute at all, so shut up with your 60fps performance mode peasant and go buy XS.

FIREK2029

24 Jun 2022
Star Citizen is a tech demo that is never getting finished. It's a scam and it's super janky. Also it's a MMO....
Even in its Alpha state it's still way more ambitious than Starfield and already does way more.

It's much more than a tech demo, it actually has gameplay that works despite being janky (not too different from your average Bathesda game ironically)

I think most people like repeating talking points of others without doing some research. As someone who's invested many hours in tons of different space games Star Citizen has the most promise and ambition. There's really nothing else out there like it or even trying to do a fraction of what it's attempting to do even in Alpha. Whether it gets fully released is a different story but it's way more than a tech demo at this point. It was a tech demo back in 2015 but now it's actually a game in its current state, a janky buggy unfinished game but still a game.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It was suppose to be revolutionary in the middle of last generation.
For this generation it looks more of the same.

I mean games already did what Starfield is trying.

Of course not being revolutionary doesn’t mean it won’t be good.

morbidviews98

Banned
14 Jun 2023
Even in its Alpha state it's still way more ambitious than Starfield and already does way more.

It's much more than a tech demo, it actually has gameplay that works despite being janky (not too different from your average Bathesda game ironically)

I think most people like repeating talking points of others without doing some research. As someone who's invested many hours in tons of different space games Star Citizen has the most promise and ambition. There's really nothing else out there like it or even trying to do a fraction of what it's attempting to do even in Alpha. Whether it gets fully released is a different story but it's way more than a tech demo at this point. It was a tech demo back in 2015 but now it's actually a game in its current state, a janky buggy unfinished game but still a game.

Lmao. Its a mmo game. Game is never coming out. It's been in development since 2012 and raised over 400 million in funding and it still isn't out the door. That's very concerning. It's a scam to milk their players dry.its a Incomplete buggy piece of shit. Until that game is finished it should never be brought up.

FIREK2029

24 Jun 2022
Lmao. Its a mmo game. Game is never coming out. It's been in development since 2012 and raised over 400 million in funding and it still isn't out the door. That's very concerning. It's a scam to milk their players dry.its a Incomplete buggy piece of shit. Until that game is finished it should never be brought up.
Starfield is probably gonna be a buggy piece of shit too until modders fix it. Difference is they'll charge $70 for it and cover it with MS PR and media shilling for it. I don't see any difference between the two to be honest other than Bathesda and MS not being open with their marketing. At least with Starfield you can see and test out the buggy mess while it's in development during Free Fly Week for $0 while with Bathesda you get to experience a buggy janky mess on launch day and wait months or years for the community to develop the game into what Todd Howard promised lol.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

morbidviews98

Banned
14 Jun 2023
Starfield is probably gonna be a buggy piece of shit too until modders fix it. Difference is they'll charge $70 for it and cover it with MS PR and media shilling for it. I don't see any difference between the two to be honest other than Bathesda and MS not being open with their marketing. At least with Starfield you can see and test out the buggy mess while it's in development during Free Fly Week for $0 while with Bathesda you get to experience a buggy janky mess on launch day and wait months or years for the community to develop the game into what Todd Howard promised lol.
Lol Starfield is actually releasing in 3 months. Star Citizen will NEVER be a finished product. It's a scam. Starfield direct got rave reviews across the board. Star Citizen is in dev hell since 2012. With no release in sight. Stop talking about that scam of a game. It's a turd.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
One thing that is weird it how all the narratives around Xbox games seem so coordinated. Clearly this is the excuse they are going to go with when it comes to Starfield and the gaming media is following their lead.

It was the same with the Series S and how it was this unprecedented value proposition that everyone except consumers saw or how suddenly winning Metacritics publisher of the year became the most prestigious award in gaming.

Last edited:

FIREK2029

24 Jun 2022
Lol Starfield is actually releasing in 3 months. Star Citizen will NEVER be a finished product. It's a scam. Starfield direct got rave reviews across the board. Star Citizen is in dev hell since 2012. With no release in sight. Stop talking about that scam of a game. It's a turd.
"Releasing" in 3 months you mean.

A Bathesda release isn't exactly what I'd call a real release given the crazy amount of bugs their games tend to have at launch.

Fallout 76 preview also got rave reviews and look how that turned out. Previews don't mean shit in this industry.

I'm getting Starfield on PC but I refuse to fall into useless blind hype for the game considering the last game Bathesda launched. If it launches in a good state that will be a win but Bathesda still have a ton to prove and curated previews haven't changed my view on them and the shitty state their games release in.

By the way, we are talking about ambitious space games here. Star Citizen has every right to be in the conversation and you don't get to dictate what I talk about even if Star Citizen is a scam. The scam is still way more ambitious than Starfield is even in its incomplete state. I'm just stating the facts as someone that plays literally every space game out there. How long it's been in development is irrelevant to the discussion of scope and ambition behind it.

morbidviews98

Banned
14 Jun 2023
"Releasing" in 3 months you mean.

A Bathesda release isn't exactly what I'd call a real release given the crazy amount of bugs their games tend to have at launch.

Fallout 76 preview also got rave reviews and look how that turned out. Previews don't mean shit in this industry.

I'm getting Starfield on PC but I refuse to fall into useless blind hype for the game considering the last game Bathesda launched. If it launches in a good state that will be a win but Bathesda still have a ton to prove and curated previews haven't changed my view on them and the shitty state their games release in.

By the way, we are talking about ambitious space games here. Star Citizen has every right to be in the conversation and you don't get to dictate what I talk about even if Star Citizen is a scam. The scam is still way more ambitious than Starfield is even in its incomplete state. I'm just stating the facts as someone that plays literally every space game out there.
You can't even spell Bethesda right.... Lol. lmao 76 NEVER got rave reviews from their preview lol. 76 was a online fallout game. The community was skeptical about it because it's a online fallout game. Fallout games are single player games. Nobody was hyped for it. Bethesda has never made a bad single player game and have numerous critically acclaimed games under their belt.

Star Citizen is a sham. Nobody cares about it. It's a mmo(trash) game. That's in dev hell. Starfield will be 100 times better then that trash lol.

morbidviews98

Banned
14 Jun 2023
Neither did Starfield, nobody has played it yet.

You Xbox fans never learn not to count your chickens before they hatch.
No people have played it already lol. IGN played it, and they had great things to say about it. Todd Howard never missed on a single player. They have a great track record for their single player games.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
No people have played it already lol. IGN played it, and they had great things to say about it. Todd Howard never missed on a single player. They have a great track record for their single player games.
In my experience they missed on all games they ever made since they are all trash, all size no depth, quantity over quality, bad gameplay, boring story, full of bugs and dependent on mods.

IGN also had a great preview of Redfall.

FIREK2029

24 Jun 2022
You can't even spell Bethesda right.... Lol. lmao 76 NEVER got rave reviews from their preview lol. 76 was a online fallout game. The community was skeptical about it because it's a online fallout game. Fallout games are single player games. Nobody was hyped for it. Bethesda has never made a bad single player game and have numerous critically acclaimed games under their belt.

Star Citizen is a sham. Nobody cares about it. It's a mmo(trash) game. That's in dev hell. Starfield will be 100 times better then that trash lol.
Who gives a fuck about the spelling of Bethesda? Stick to the argument and stop trying to attack me because your talking points are weak.

You haven't played Starfield, all you've seen is carefully curated previews which mean absolutely nothing and aren't an indicator of quality at all.

Bethesda has a history of making "solid" SP games but their last game was absolute dogshit and the fact it was multiplayer still doesn't cover them. It should have never released in the state it released in, period.

Also, what's your hate against MMOs? FF14 is an MMO and is an amazing experience lol. Lots of good MMOs out there. If Star Citizen ends up being trash, it will have nothing to do with the genre it's in. Again, stick to the topic. We are talking about ambition here not whether SC is a scam. Stick to the discussion point lol.

Last edited:

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
Who gives a fuck about the spelling of Bethesda, stick to the argument and stop trying to attack me because your talking points are weak.

You haven't played Starfield, all you've seen is carefully curated previews which mean absolutely nothing and aren't an indicator of quality at all.

Bethesda has a history of making "solid" SP games but their last game was absolute dogshit and the fact it was multiplayer still doesn't cover them. It should have never released in the state it released in, period.

Also, what's your hate against MMOs? FF14 is an MMO and is an amazing experience lol. Lots of good MMOs out there. If Star Citizen ends up being trash, it will have nothing to do with the genre it's in.
Most important rule of the internet: Don't waste your time arguing with a person with an anime dp.
Enjoy what you love