Tubz_Gaming
Welcome @Uncle Benz
Spider Man Great Responsibility GIF

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Was meaning to ask, @Bryank75 you own this forum?

Wha is IconEra name expressing?

Well, we were brainstorming names and checking them against domains that were available and not too expensive.

Anything with 'gaming' costs 78K +.

Initially we were thinking about making this place a PS focused forum and calling it PlayStation-Era / Symbol-Era / Symbolic-Era after the PS Symbols. So we would have the shapes and then 'Era' after them....

So eventually we decided to go with Icon-era for 2 reasons..... Icons and symbols are almost interchangeable and it can be said as one word easily.
Also 'Era' is now a word synonymous with gaming forums. The word 'Iconic' is also a bit of a meme in gaming.

We are open to feedback on everything... we made this place for the community. I know 'Era' also carries some political connotations with it but we try to keep things away from politics here.... uniting through gaming.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Well, we were brainstorming names and checking them against domains that were available and not too expensive.

Anything with 'gaming' costs 78K +.

Initially we were thinking about making this place a PS focused forum and calling it PlayStation-Era / Symbol-Era / Symbolic-Era after the PS Symbols. So we would have the shapes and then 'Era' after them....

So eventually we decided to go with Icon-era for 2 reasons..... Icons and symbols are almost interchangeable and it can be said as one word easily.
Also 'Era' is now a word synonymous with gaming forums. The word 'Iconic' is also a bit of a meme in gaming.

We are open to feedback on everything... we made this place for the community. I know 'Era' also carries some political connotations with it but we try to keep things away from politics here.... uniting through gaming.
You’d get a lot more traffic with a politics section. But things can get spicy and moderation tricky.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
You’d get a lot more traffic with a politics section. But things can get spicy and moderation tricky.
I would love a politics section but oh boy, it would just be a nightmare for moderation.

I don't think that is a route we want to go down, having disagreements in the gaming forum is bad enough, Imagine the Sleepy Joe vs Maga boys going at it.

Saying that, I have seen @DoctaThompson with a Hillary shirt on which reads, "I am one of the Deplorables"

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

We can see how we go, I might allow some light political topics....

I just dont want the whole board to be an extension of the culture war, my main aim is to offer a home to our community of gamers where they are appreciated.

If you have an idea on how to approach it, I am totally open to hearing....

Reactions: Falcs

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
We can see how we go, I might allow some light political topics....

I just dont want the whole board to be an extension of the culture war, my main aim is to offer a home to our community of gamers where they are appreciated.

If you have an idea on how to approach it, I am totally open to hearing....
can’t think of anything unique…..No politics in gaming outside of the relevant commentary to the game. Politics board, contained in its own area. Want to dunk on Pelosi or Trump, all fair game. Personal conduct, insults etc subject to same guidelines as gaming and rest of site.

I thought politics was a great area on gaf. I think cutting it was a mistake.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
can’t think of anything unique…..No politics in gaming outside of the relevant commentary to the game. Politics board, contained in its own area. Want to dunk on Pelosi or Trump, all fair game. Personal conduct, insults etc subject to same guidelines as gaming and rest of site.

I vote for @Shmunter as a mod,

Change your name to Special prosecutor @Shmunter

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Nah, Politics brought out a lot of nasty stuff, and people could not keep it peaceful. Politics always no matter the good intent devolves into shit.

I vote no politics. I work in News, I come here to talk gaming, i dont come here to listen to people bicker and infect gaming threads with politics. Thats what happened to reset and to Gaf. Neogaf Was always about video games. Even in the early days of it being a watercooler for developers before it became a open forum.

Putting politics on a gaming forum regardless of how much moderation you have always has massive negative effects regardless of increase in traffic.

If politics come to here im out.

D

Deleted member 13

Nah, Politics brought out a lot of nasty stuff, and people could not keep it peaceful. Politics always no matter the good intent devolves into shit.

I vote no politics. I work in News, I come here to talk gaming, i dont come here to listen to people bicker and infect gaming threads with politics. Thats what happened to reset and to Gaf. Neogaf Was always about video games. Even in the early days of it being a watercooler for developers before it became a open forum.

Putting politics on a gaming forum regardless of how much moderation you have always has massive negative effects regardless of increase in traffic.

If politics come to here im out.
Agreed here. I didn't come to this forum to listen to politics. Suddenly people who you thought was cool is no longer cool because of their political beliefs. Screw the increase in traffic. It's not worth it imo.