What does Sony need to realistically release next year to stay ahead of the competition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It’s not tho. Requires Ps plus. New expansion and dlc content runs 100$ a year and is not free. This is not Warframe. Destiny’s content has pay walls. Insert change to continue. It’s very much an extensive demo. Battlepass content does not earn you currency for next battle pass. You can’t grind yourself to everything. You gotta pay for content. I mean, it’s quite traditional.

Lightfall at $50 is even more expensive than Witch Queen because that increase reflects the addition of a new dark subclass. Bungie charges players for everything :ROFLMAO:. Like I dunno if it was f2p you wouldn’t need to drop 50$ to play it’s next chapter. The issue is semantics. It gives an incorrect assumption. F2p players are never happy when D2 immediately shows that you need money to get more than a week out of it. What they do is the console friendly version of an mmo sub

Destiny does not make money on MTs. Bungie themselves have stated that their players don’t really engage with it (because in-game bright dust is generous and the stuff sold is who cares). They get continued revenue for expansions and season dlc.

Portions of the game are free, casual playlist activities, some sample content from new expansions and season; an exotic weapon and a handful weapons introduced or reintroduced into world loot pools; there’s much more they do not. It’s something…. But all in all the free game is not supported well at all.

When it went f2p it basically put the first two years of campaigns and raids up for free. Basically everything developed with Activision. That’s gone. Now only thing that’s part of the free game is casual fodder and no end game aside from two 8 year old raids and a free release dungeon (all excellent content - not strikes — who plays strikes. LOL).

They were able to do that because it was old content no one engaged in anymore. There was no more real sales pontential left of reasons for hardcore players to even populate that content

So no I don’t think TLOU can just go be a f2p pvepvp online game out of the gate and just monetize seasons. It’ll launch full retail price. It’s not going to be just pvp with map changes season to season.

The idea that f2p is a successful model is kind of bs. Most games can’t do it.

Microsoft can continue being the vulture that they are. 100 billion spent has been a massive failure thus far. They own IPs but are creatively bankrupt and have a slew of talentless studios incapable of shipping games finished or at all.

Halo Infinite launch couldn’t even outperform D2’s paid for 30th anniversary release. It destroyed Infinite from the day they launched against each other.

The truth is Xbox fans still trust Bungie over Halo. Beyond Light was the game that launched gamespass on series X and carried the service for that entire launch year.

Destiny leaves XBL’s top 10 for like 3 days at the tail end of every 3 months season. Halo can’t hang in the top 20.

MARATHON might be f2p tho. I don’t expect it to be narrative heavy, have campaigns or heavy pve aspects.
F2P means that is free to start to play, doesn't mean that everything is free or unlockable. There are different types of F2P and Destiny 2 is one of them.

F2P games typically have paid only things (like the Destiny 2 expansions), or in other cases things that are almost paid only: stuff like skins or good weapons that sometimes in theory you can unlock them by playing but you need to grind a lot to get them or there are loot boxes that can be earned by playing but certain content isn't there or has an ultra low possibility which makes some players pay for them.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Doesn’t mean TLOU will launch f2p. Destiny was afforded to do that after two years and 16 million copies sold and 100$ of dlc before it went f2p. D2 was afforded time for growing pains and moves other games will not be able to do because they were the trailblazers that went thru it first along with Epic and Rainbow six as far as gaas goes. And then they deleted it.

I cannot see TLOU Online launching with a full fledged campaign and pve components and NOT be full priced with paid seasons and expansions.

I do not think f2p works unless you’re Fortnite or some mobile game. Everything else seems to pretty much die quick deaths from what we’ve been seeing.

I just don’t see it happening. Too many resources. Enemy AI. Unique environments. Motion capture. Voice lines. It’ll be a ND game still. Deluxe edition will be 100$

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
Yeah I realllly don't think Sony is going to jump into F2P for something like Factions 2, or whatever that game will end up being.

For one, I have a feeling it's going to be MMO-lite style like Destiny. Or something unique / somewhat story driven either way. Not the kind of game that is F2P. Like you said @Vertigo, Destiny 2 had tons of content then released an F2P version with a fraction of it.

But I do think they'll do an F2P game or 2 among their collection of GAAS in development. They really should experiment with it at least.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
If Knack 3 is next year with a Knack PSVR 2 game along with it, Nintendo, Microsoft, and Meta best get out of the gaming business all together and accept returns on every xbox, Oculus, and switch sold. Only Apple might put up a fighting chance against PS but even that is slim!

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Not much is needed tbh, but there will be lots to play in 2023, it will start packed and end with a bulge bursting at the seams. There will be stellar titles on PS5 and VR2. We will also see announcements on many new IP's. ND, Barlog, Jade Raymond, Bend, Kojima, Bend etc...

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Not much is needed tbh, but there will be lots to play in 2023, it will start packed and end with a bulge bursting at the seams. There will be stellar titles on PS5 and VR2. We will also see announcements on many new IP's. ND, Barlog, Jade Raymond, Bend, Kojima, Bend etc...
Worst part, no show until big deal is done. We lost one show already.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
TLoU 3
Uncharted 5
GowArmageddon

Horizon forbidden Asia

Ghost of Tokyo
GT 8
Killzone shadow fly

That should do it.

P

peter42O

Worst part, no show until big deal is done. We lost one show already.

Personally, once Sony had their State of Play in September, any chance of a showcase for 2022 was gone. I know some believe that they "held off" because of the ABK deal which is such bullshit because they announced two full exclusives during the SOP with Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin. The realistic reason is the simple fact that there other games aren't ready to be shown and when it takes 3-6 months to create and polish a vertical slice like Sony normally does, there was no chance of a showcase this year.

I see a PSVR show in early 2023 to push it. And perhaps a standard small State of Play for the Spring with mostly third party games. For an actual showcase, im not expecting that until June especially with E3 returning. Microsoft will be there as will third parties. I'm also expecting Nintendo to be there. If that happens, Sony will be there or have a separate showcase close to the event. Personally, im hoping Sony is at E3 because getting all the showcases in a one week span is far better than all this shit being spread out and E3 is for the gamers/consumers/fans so being able to watch the showcase live with an audience would be great.

With that said, I am 100% expecting at least 2 or 3 things to be revealed/shown at The Game Awards.

Status
Not open for further replies.