What does Sony need to realistically release next year to stay ahead of the competition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
First party wise, it is impossible to top this year.
What I would add for 3rd party is : Pragmata, GrandBlue Fantasy Relink and Little Devil Inside.
Plus like always - 100+ japanese games.

You don’t think SM2 and FF16 (both next gen) can top cross-gen GoWR and Horizon?

I think with across the spider-verse next year, SM is gonna be a big property again. A lot of cross promotional tie in.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
A PlayStation branded fridge and nail varnish!

hbo laughing GIF by Game of Thrones
Surely you mean a router?

• haha
Reactions: Bryank75

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
You don’t think SM2 and FF16 (both next gen) can top cross-gen GoWR and Horizon?

I think with across the spider-verse next year, SM is gonna be a big property again. A lot of cross promotional tie in.
gaming wise? or sale wise?

GoW is just another level, man. and we have Horizon and GT7 on top of that with TLoU Part 1. it is impossible to top that.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Right now Sony is still doing well because they are riding on the success of the PS4, while Microsoft's new studios and publishers are still developing their new AAA games.
As soon as Microsoft's 1st party studios are ready (2023), it will be the beginning of the end for PlayStation as a platform. Xbox will be everywhere with the help of Xcloud. Consoles, TVs, Mobile, Tablets, PC... maybe even on your toaster. You only need a controller. Sony is still struggling with their cloud strategy and their mediocre services.

Microsoft is buying publishers! Publishers including famous IPs. Not some small random no-name studios like Haven or Savage Game Studio.
Microsoft will own some of the biggest gaming franchises ever. No matter if it's Minecraft, Call of Duty, Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, Overwatch, Elder Scrolls or Fallout. They own some of the biggest studios and publishers that ever existed. Microsoft pretty much dominates the whole WRPG and FPS genre. Minecraft is still the king for the kids.
Meanwhile you have Sony with some mediocre 1st party studios like PixelOpus, London Studio, Media Molecule (Dreams is a 10-year-failure), Valkyrie Entertainment, Haven, Asobi Team, San Diego Studio, Nixxes, or Firesprite.

If you're honest you will admit that PlayStation Studios only has 4 relevant/succeesful AAAstudios. Naughty Dog (Uncharted, TLOU), Santa Monica Studio (GOW), Guerrilla Games (Horizon) and Sucker Punch (Ghost of Tsushima).
The rest of them are some unsuccessful AA studios like Housemarque or Savage Game Studio disguising as AAA studios. Or some random port/remake studios like Bluepoint, Valkyrie and Nixxes no one gives a shit about. And Polyphony is a joke compared to Turn 10 and Playground Games.

Of course there is Insomniac Games who's struggling to create new successful AAA IPs, so they have to work on foreign licenses (Marvel Spider-Man & Wolverine) to be succeesful.
Hey bud, good to see you again, and I love your takes on the destruction of Sony.

Just subbed to Dealer gaming and Colteastwood as well, love their independent analysis talks, and hope to see you on one of their stream chats.(maybe we can do some xbox arm crosses together.)

maxresdefault.jpg

• haha
Reactions: Satoru and Bryank75

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
gaming wise? or sale wise?

GoW is just another level, man. and we have Horizon and GT7 on top of that with TLoU Part 1. it is impossible to top that.

Eh, God of War is a gem. But I think next year could top it. I simply expect MORE from Sony and their partners.

We’re in the dark about next year. Problem is I don’t see Sony revealing anything till last min.

You would have to make assumptions on their dev teams. But it looks like VR2 is the push for early next year? Not for me but hey it’s something :/

But we do realize that Sony picked Fortnite over PUBG early on, having the world’s biggest game when Xbox didn’t. That out of nowhere partnerships can happen and change the landscape.

Super exciting gen coming …. It’s just gotten started let’s go

D

Deleted member 13

Next year I think will go to a 3rd party developer. Sony is only releasing Spiderman 2 and a few others (help me out). That's not going to be enough to compete with the likes of Stalker 2, Baldur's Gate 3, Starfield, Zelda BOTW 2, Diablo 4, etc..

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Next year I think will go to a 3rd party developer. Sony is only releasing Spiderman 2 and a few others (help me out). That's not going to be enough to compete with the likes of Stalker 2, Baldur's Gate 3, Starfield, Zelda BOTW 2, Diablo 4, etc..
I think this year Xbox and PC fans will focus their votes on Elden Ring while Sony games will spread their votes across several exclusives (but mostly GoWR) and ER. So I think ER will win.

As will happen this year with Nintendo fans spreading their votes across different games (Bayo, Kirby, Splatoon), next year the Sony, PC and Xbox fans will spread their votes across different exclusive and multi games, but Nintendo fans will focus their votes on Zelda, so Zelda will win.

Regarding what Sony is going to have next year, I did what I think it's a full list here (I may miss some games) and another list of games they can realistically announce to be released next year.

Reactions: Deleted member 13

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Spiderman 2 90+ Metacritic
Factions
Helldivers 2
Death Stranding 2
Surprise first party games
PS5 redesign / slim model (possible price reduction)
A bunch of quality third party exclusives
Death Stranding was released late 2019. After it they released it on PC in summer 2020. Then they did the Director's Cut/PS5 version, that was released in late summer 2021. And after that they released it on PC this March.

Kojipro is a relatively small team for AAA games, so even if the ports and the Directors Cut were handled by a small team, I don't see them having enough time to have Death Stranding 2 ready for next year. Specially considering that they must have made a small prototype/vertical slice of Overdose and they seem to be working on a movie in their american studio.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I wonder if there is any truth to the reports of sony bringing back sly and twisted metal next year. Imagine if the metal gear solid 3 remake is true and while that may not be ps5 exclusive, just having that with silent hill 2 remake, final fantasy xvi, the last of us factions, and sly or twisted metal would be a good year for sony along with all the psvr 2 stuff we get even if spider man 2 gets an unexpected delay to 2024

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 13

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I don't get this comment. Redfall looks good and Arkane regularly releases critically acclaimed games

I'm not saying it's going to be bad or anything, but I just don't see it doing that well. The IP doesn't look particularly interesting to me. This isn't Wolfenstein that gets attention for being a long-standing property.

And I dunno maybe I'm getting the wrong impression but it just feels like it's not attempting to be AAA at all.

I'm not trying to insult the game, I'm just saying MS is so lacking in the AAA department compared to Sony.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Right now Sony is still doing well because they are riding on the success of the PS4, while Microsoft's new studios and publishers are still developing their new AAA games.
As soon as Microsoft's 1st party studios are ready (2023), it will be the beginning of the end for PlayStation as a platform. Xbox will be everywhere with the help of Xcloud. Consoles, TVs, Mobile, Tablets, PC... maybe even on your toaster. You only need a controller. Sony is still struggling with their cloud strategy and their mediocre services.

Microsoft is buying publishers! Publishers including famous IPs. Not some small random no-name studios like Haven or Savage Game Studio.
Microsoft will own some of the biggest gaming franchises ever. No matter if it's Minecraft, Call of Duty, Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, Overwatch, Elder Scrolls or Fallout. They own some of the biggest studios and publishers that ever existed. Microsoft pretty much dominates the whole WRPG and FPS genre. Minecraft is still the king for the kids.
Meanwhile you have Sony with some mediocre 1st party studios like PixelOpus, London Studio, Media Molecule (Dreams is a 10-year-failure), Valkyrie Entertainment, Haven, Asobi Team, San Diego Studio, Nixxes, or Firesprite.

If you're honest you will admit that PlayStation Studios only has 4 relevant/succeesful AAAstudios. Naughty Dog (Uncharted, TLOU), Santa Monica Studio (GOW), Guerrilla Games (Horizon) and Sucker Punch (Ghost of Tsushima).
The rest of them are some unsuccessful AA studios like Housemarque or Savage Game Studio disguising as AAA studios. Or some random port/remake studios like Bluepoint, Valkyrie and Nixxes no one gives a shit about. And Polyphony is a joke compared to Turn 10 and Playground Games.

Of course there is Insomniac Games who's struggling to create new successful AAA IPs, so they have to work on foreign licenses (Marvel Spider-Man & Wolverine) to be succeesful.
My face if Sony ever leaves gaming

Attachments

• 2022-11-06.jpg
    2022-11-06.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 0

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Personal attack because of difference of opinion

'GoW'

Danny Devito Lol GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I wonder if there is any truth to the reports of sony bringing back sly and twisted metal next year

Twisted Metal has been pretty much confirmed, first through VGC and Tom Henderson and now it’s definitely been confirmed through the XDev leaks a few weeks ago. Lucid was making it, and then it got switched over to Firesprite with the creative director from motorstorm now working on it. Who knows if it will be out next year though, it was slated to release alongside the show originally in 2023. On the leaked list the Codename for Twisted Metal is Project Redstar and its listed as a vehicle combat game

Sly is confirmed not in production by Suckerpunch or any other studio.

Reactions: Ezekiel

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I wonder if there is any truth to the reports of sony bringing back sly and twisted metal next year. Imagine if the metal gear solid 3 remake is true and while that may not be ps5 exclusive, just having that with silent hill 2 remake, final fantasy xvi, the last of us factions, and sly or twisted metal would be a good year for sony along with all the psvr 2 stuff we get even if spider man 2 gets an unexpected delay to 2024
Sly was officially debunked. Twisted Metal as a movie coming, PS Studios has like GaaS coming from 10 different IPs, Rocket League is a successful GaaS and they already tried something similar to Rocket League and Twisted Metal with Destruction All Stars. Which didn't work but they may have thought that it could work by using the Twisted Metal IP, combining it the movie and also the racing or car combat expertise they have in Firesprite (which has many key SCEE Liverpool Studio, Evolution and Bizarre Creations staff).

Firesprite has also VR expertise and Sony would need 1st party content for VR, so maybe Twisted Metal could be in development from Lucid and Firesprite and also be a PSVR2 compatible (but not exclusive) GaaS game.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
PSVR2 is realistic enough to put Sony ahead competition in 2023.

Plus they will probably launch a new AAA game each quarter like they usually do.

Status
Not open for further replies.