What is the deal with Phil Spencer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Money solved this mans problems.

I remember a while back him complaining about fanboys/console wars, yet he engaged with some of the nuttiest xbox fanboys. Dude is such a fraud.

You'd never see this "good" guy act if they hadn't lost marketshare.

P

peter42O

1) personally, some people may enjoy Big Rigs, or whatever that game is called. It's still one of the worst games of all time, but all that matters is that some people may enjoy it. Same for Halo Infinite and your experience.

2) Can't agree mid to high 80's is fair for this game, nor that any of your assessments are accurate. However, I respect your personal opinion.
1. Halo Infinite is far from being one of the worst games of all time though.
2. Correct me if im wrong but didn't you say Halo Infinite realistically is more like an 8/10? If so, that's not a bad game at all. I have no issues with it being an 87 rated game. Even if you want to say that it's more like an 8 to an 8.5/10, okay, that's still a great game and nowhere near bad.
Hard disagree. Games should be reviewed for what they are, as objectively as possible. Halo should have been reviewed what it's worth, same with Horizon or GOW. What you claim there is that Microsoft should get a free pass for worse quality and production value simply because they were not as successful. IMO, a perfect example of this is something like Days Gone, which IMO is an 8/10 at release, and got mid to low 70's. I maintain to this day that if it was released as an Xbox game it would have reviewed high 80s.
I agree that games SHOULD be reviewed for what they are but they're not because they won't be the same for everyone. You have to take into account that everyone has their favorites and personal biases and rarely do people go against them. It's like Souls games, Nintendo games, Rockstar, etc. They're all going to get favored even if/when they don't deserve it because there's people who love them and unless it's truly a bad or broken game, they won't review it low.

It's not that Microsoft should get a free pass but they shouldn't be reviewed the same as Sony or Nintendo. First, they're coming off a bad generation and went into 2018 with only five studios and if not for Spencer convincing Nadella to keep Xbox alive, it would be dead and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Second, outside of the big 3, they barely cracked an 80 for any of their published games while Sony was dominating and getting high scores, not only because of the games themselves being great but because Xbox One was such a disaster, reviewers were definitely against Microsoft and very favorable for Sony. A game like Uncharted 4 is not a 94 rated game. It's not even the best or second best Uncharted game. But because Naughty Dog is highly regarded and favored, their games will score high and if Druckmann leads the game, add at least 5 points minimum. Same with Miyamoto, Kojima, Howard and probably a few others. It's just what it is.

It's just that games are never going to be rated for what they actually are. This rarely happens and when it does, it's because a game is actually bad or broken. Microsoft's quality has increased this generation compared to last generation. Production value is excellent for Forza, Flight Sim, Psychonauts, etc. It may not be what it should have been for Halo Infinite but considering the disaster that 343 is and has been for years, it's amazing the game even released and is as great as it is when it could have been an easy 60 or 70 rated game.

As for Days Gone, I love the game. #5 best game of last gen, my 2019 goty and a 9.5/10. However, like I mentioned in regards to personal favorites and personal biases, Days Gone was my open world dream zombie game come true and had a Sons of Anarchy feel to it which is one of my all time favorite TV shows but if I take away the massive favoritism towards it, it's no better than an 8/10 and I can't argue with those who didn't like it. Technical issues, a very slow and boring 10 hour slog to start the game and when you look at all the content in the game, like I said with Horizon, it's a Ubisoft game. How many camps, outposts, nests are there in the game? Hell, they all have a respective story line to them but at the same time, it's generic and been done a billion times already by this point. Also, some reviewers didn't like Deacon and the sexual comments he makes in the game towards his wife. Now, I see that as normal but certain reviewers didn't and thought it was sexist so right there, it's going to score low and you then add in all the other issues and yeah, a low 70's score is about right for the game in general even though I would give it at least an 8/10 favoritism aside.

I don't know why you would think that in 2019, two months after the abysmal Crackdown 3 that Days Gone would review better on Xbox. It wouldn't. If anything, it would probably be worse. I don't know why you think this when all you have to do is look at 2018/2019 and excluding Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4, all of Microsoft's releases were in the 60's.

Of course, the only review that should matter to anyone is their own. Critics, youtubers, etc. should just be a reference and if the reviewer/youtuber likes what you like, go based on that because you would have similar tastes. But again, everyone has their personal favorites and biases. You've shown this and so have I. It's simply what it is.

The only reason why im keeping track of Microsoft's review scores on OC is simple. It's because they need to hit FOR ME this generation. If Xbox Series X doesn't at the very least become my #1 best Xbox console (which in all honesty, it should) and #2 overall (behind only PS4) once this generation ends, then Microsoft and Xbox will forever be my secondary gaming console as I would switch back to PlayStation as my primary console next generation.
I cannot agree with any of this assessment. First and foremost, it is not a Ubisoft style game, unless you consider all open world experiences to be ubisoft style games. The production value around side quests and their impact on the main story, voice acting, mocap, etc, are all of higher standard for one, and the game doesn't even play like any Ubisoft game.
Ubisoft style game in that it's an open world checklist. Ubisoft has viewpoints. Horizon has the Tallnecks. Same thing. Horizon has bandit camps. So does Ubisoft games. Same thing. There's all the icons on the world map. Same as Ubisoft. There's way more similarities than differences in how the setup, style and template is. Basically, the structure is setup the same. And this applies to nearly every open world game in general because unless you're an ER or BOTW that makes it feel different (even though they're really not all that much either), what else can developers do? It's like, here's 15 camps to clear out on the map. Here's 5 tallnecks to climb. Here's a bunch of resources you need to gather to upgrade your stuff. It's all truly the same crap because what other structure could they do in an open world game.

Is Horizon better than vast majority of Ubisoft games? Yes. And I say this as someone who's favorite company is Ubisoft. The structure is pretty much identical. Are the stories, combat, etc. all different? Yes but again, the structure and setup is the same. And I love these open world games. I don't mind a checklist but at the same time, im not expecting anything new or different or revloutionary because I know none of them are.
The original game had no underwater combat, so how can it be a step back? Same with climbing, it's much improved. As for the grappling hook, I used it plenty while in combat to evade enemies.
Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey has free climbing and underwater combat. HFW which is minimum 4+ years after Origins yet doesn't have either so in my mind, it's a step back because almost 5 years later, that's what im expecting. For sequels, I expect more. Especially when other games do the same things but better.

The climbing is improved but is it AC Origins/Odyssey levels? No way. Why can't I just free climb? Why am I restricted to following an outline on the walls and mountains? Also, why does Aloy not climb where I want her to go despite the outline telling me I can? Is it better than Zero Dawn, maybe but then again, I played ZD at launch before AC Origins so the climbing was perfectly acceptable for me. 5 years later though, an open world game like Forbidden West should have free climbing.

I can see that in regards to the grapple hook but if you could free climb, you would just climb to get away from enemies so the result is the same but the grapple hook is more of a hassle and nuisance. I simply believe that if free climbing was in FW, there would be no need for a grapple hook.
The point is to travel faster. I agree air combat would have been fun, but its another transversal mechanic. More options, especially well designed ones, are never a negative. As for size, I found it just the right size and engaging from the beginning. The hand glider was fun as hell and again, very handy when travelling from higher spots to lower spots. Saved me substantial amounts of time and allowed me to take a breather.
Hand glider was great. No argument there. The flying though is so late in the game, by this time, I was like 95% done with everything. By the time you unlock this ability via the story, the game is basically over. The ability to fly and the breather for underwater is good in general to have but because you gain it so late in the story, the game is basically forcing you to back track if you want to complete those other areas you couldn't access earlier.
Side content is optional, you can avoid it. I never consider side content a negative because it's optiona. As for visuals, you just praised Halo for its visuals but somehow HFW having incredible ones is a negative?

For combat, I never felt underpowered.

I will not dissect the rest of your comment, but it's pretty much a hard disagree. The missions are way more meaningful, side missions have a story purpose and contribute to your main missions, optional content is plenty and optional... And it seems a lot of your criticism stems from just not being good at the game, which is fine. I suck at souls games, but I would absolutely not say they are not good. You are also holding FW to a different standard to Halo. By objective measures, everything technical you listed as "amazing" in Halo is better in Forbidden West - Graphics, Audio, Soundtrack, Mocap, voice acting. Every single item is superior many times over.
Side content is optional but at the same time, in an action RPG, if you want to level up and fill out your skill trees, you kinda have to do the vast majority of it all. I didn't praise the visuals in Halo Infinite. I said it was their main weakness but I wasn't playing it for the visuals. HFW has amazing visuals but would I sacrifice some of those visuals for free climbing? Oh hell yeah!!! Would I sacrifice a little more for the breather and ability to fly a stormbird in the first 25% of the story? Even more so, hell yeah!!

I agree with the story missions being more meaningful and once you get to The Embassy, they're all excellent. Loved the story quests but I do wish there was more of them. I'm not a fan of short main stories when it's an open world game. I will always prefer more story quests over any optional side content when it comes to open world games. Side quests were for the most part good and better than the first game but a lot of them are still fetch quests or go save this person repeatedly. Story/character wise, I agree 100% that they're way more meaningful than ZD.

I wasn't great in FW and played half the game on hard until I got tired of feeling underpowered so I did lower the difficulty. However, I completed Zero Dawn on hard pretty easily because you do more damage output in ZD than you do in FW. Watching a video earlier today for all patches and updates for FW, Guerrilla nerfed so many weapons, bombs and armor which I 100% disagree with because it's a single player game. It's a competitive game whatsoever. Also, I do turn off various options. Compass, aim assist, any enemy detection arrows or that eye thing, all off.

I hold FW to a different standard because I played and completed the original and simply expected more and better. I also expected Guerrilla to give me underwater combat and free climbing with the climbing being my #1 most wanted gameplay element. I didn't get either so of course, I will hold it to a higher standard.

With Halo Infinite, my expectations were low. Never played a Halo game. Was hoping for at least an 8 or 8.5 personally and I would have bee very happy and content with that. I'm not a massive first person shooter guy. I prefer third person over first person so that's another reason why my expectations were low.

Simply, Halo Infinite exceeded my expectations where as Horizon Forbidden West didn't. I do love both games and am all in for their future campaign expansions.

As for what I believe is superior, not true. Apologies but looking up my ratings in my spreadsheet, I have Halo Infinite listed as a 9 in visuals, 10 in audio, 9 in combat/gameplay and a 10 in story/characters. For HFW, I have it listed as a 10 in visuals, 10 in audio, 8.5 in gameplay/combat, 10 in story/characters and an 9.0/10 for side content since I did everything excluding collecting documents.

Overall, both are actually a 9.5/10 overall but the main difference is that HI was my 2021 goty to where I don't think HFW wins my 2022 goty unless both GOWR and TLOUP1 are massive disappointments. Also, my expectations for FW were higher due to what ZD was for me. And as I said, there were elements in FW gameplay/combat wise that I didn't like/enjoy and some stuff really irked me like not being able to free climb. Add in the technical issues I had throughout the game and that's why it's an 8.5/10 for me in this category. For reference, ZD was a 10 in visuals, 9 in audio, 10 in gameplay and 9 in story/characters.

So again, I actually loved both games but different expectations for each of them. All my games have different expectations. For example, my expectations for Steel Rising and Evil West in September are nowhere near what they will be for The Last of Us Part I which was my 2013 goty and my 360/PS3 game of the generation.

So while I agree with you in general regarding reviews, critics, etc., it's just not what it is and most likely never will be because like you with HFW or me with HI, it's always going to come down to personal favoritism and what the person prefers, likes and enjoys the most.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75
24 Jun 2022
Well I never said it was directly responsible for revenue growth. I mean that's pretty impossible considering even if everone paid full price it's only a few billion dollars. But I think it's a very significant portion of that growth, and subs are almost certainly the fastest growing "category" percentage wise.. it's just that other digital sales are the biggest category by far.

I still think you guy's estimates are low.. but as I said, I meant Gamepass more generally. I've made it REALLY clear elsewhere that MS's bread and butter is still selling games and MTX. But their product differentiator was Gamepass.

And they are going to have to start releasing more big 1st party games day one on Gamepass for them to keep it that way, if they ever can gain.

Are they, though? Are they really? I'm genuinely asking because if sub services in general account for 4% of the market revenue, and GamePass-style services are just a slice of that, considering services like GP have been around for five years and PS Now even longer (until it was basically phased out/integrated into PS+), how is are subs the fastest-growing industry-wide?

For comparison, I think Sony's PS+ sub growth YOY from end of 2020 to end of 2021 was either flat or saw a very slight drop in total MAU, so I think if sub services were a very fast-growing part of the market as a whole those numbers on their end would have seen growth regardless. I think when people say sub services, or specifically Netflix-style ones, are the fastest-growing, they're just specifically looking at Microsoft and that's probably because of Microsoft's specific business model and what they're trying to do to encourage growth.

That said, we kind of haven't been given measures of in what way it's a fast growth segment. Do they mean revenue, or total number of subscribers? Specific tiers, or all tiers combined? Year-round, or in specific seasonal periods? There's never really much clarification.

Critics very rarely go back and review games, especially live service games because what's the point? You would have to review it every year minimum. Just not worth the time. Sea of Thieves for example was a 68 at launch but if you review it today, it's at least an 8.0/10 if not higher but at launch deserved it's score. Live service games is more about future content and word of mouth than anything. FFXIV was a disaster early on and now, is one of the biggest MMORPG's out there. Rainbow Six Siege was literally dead on arrival but grew into one of the best live service games.

For me personally, I believe that games should be rated for what they are at launch but at the same time, it's going to come down to the reviewer. Those who reviewed Elden Ring for example were souls fans and it's basically a souls BOTW game. No icons, no way points, etc. where as with HFW (which I completed and rated it a 9.0/10 compared to ZD which was a 9.5 and my 2017 goty) it needed a few more months because I had a few crashes, that horrible shimmer effect on the 60 fps mode, a story quest in which I lost over an hour of progress because the button prompt wouldn't appear at the end of the quest, getting stuck in the environment while trying to open up a car door or enemies falling through the world to where I couldn't advance a side quest.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on the whole "games aren't worth re-reviewing" part, @Dodkrake spoke to that in terms of a rebuttal well enough for me.

But to the bolded, is actually something I have been curious about, as in if it were fair. You're right, a LOT of the people who reviewed Elden Ring were already hardcore Soulsbourne fans, but why is it that Elden Ring specifically had an essentially "perfect" curated selection of reviewers to review that game? If you're of mind that HFW is an "Ubisoft game, if Sony made one", then why didn't HFW have a curation of big Ubisoft open-world favoring reviewers?

That's the kind of thing I don't get; review aggregates should have a way of ensuring that all games have a balance of hardcore fans, casuals, and even non-fans (of that type of genre or work/IP) to submit reviews and have them indicate which way they fall. Present a balance in the pool of reviews, in terms of perspectives, and you'll get a more balanced and honest aggregate score. I'm still looking forward to picking up Elden Ring a bit later this year and I'll probably really enjoy it, but it just feels a bit weird that so many of the reviews already came with a slant, from people who are really into Souls-like games to begin with, which is obviously going to make the aggregate average biased in the game's favor.

I am hoping Joe staten's directing and them using certain affinity to make the BR mode, really does help them get back on track. But I feel at this rate there has been too many times 343/Microsoft has dropped the ball for this franchise.

And if they are not careful same could happen to GEARS.

IF they make the BR something actually innovative and fully fleshed out, with a lot of new content to go along with it, and do some decent marketing...they can maybe revive the game from its seemingly dead state. That's a lot to ask, though, and it's not like the other live-service shooters are going to stand idle and do nothing for their audiences in the meantime.

So Halo Infinite has to also do some stuff so big that it outshines ALL of the other entrenched games at that moment to drive eyeballs back its way and, more importantly, actually retain the majority of gained players. And honestly, I just doubt 343i even with Certain Affinity's help, have the means to do it. There'll simply be too much competition by then and the game has already failed with things as they are.

But at the very least, they can still save face and regain lost goodwill with the core fanbase, rebuild the game's (and IP's) brand image in their eyes and set the stage for a better future with a future mainline Halo game. I think at this point or sometime nearing, it'll just be about what reputation and value the team can salvage with the fanbase.

When I say 9.5/10, I said for me personally. Critic wise, mid to high 80's score seems about right to me. You must take into consideration that I never played a Halo game so overall, I loved the campaign for what it is. I can't compare previous games. The audio design was excellent. Voice acting is top tier for the most part. Sound effects are good for the most part and the music soundtrack is excellent. Combat/gameplay wise, the shooting is top tier, grappling hook is a lot of fun and very useful. Visuals were the weak spot for me. I do think the choice of trees were a mistake because it makes the world especially when flying look empty and dull but on foot, I still enjoyed the art style and visuals of the game. Definitely far from the best but I wasn't playing Halo for the visuals.

Agreed.

First, Sony is coming off an excellent generation and like Nintendo, have been dominant for the most part so their games should be reviewed to a higher standard because they've been #1 three out of four generations while Microsoft has been 3rd in all three of theirs. And coming off Xbox One, expectations are nowhere as high for Microsoft and their studios compared to Sony and their studios in which they're coming off their best generation game wise.

This doesn't make sense to me. If anything, it means MS's games should be held to a higher standard because apparently the pressure from previous years was not enough to motivate them to up the output.

I get your point WRT expectations but some people having lower expectations for MS does not mean they are or should be holding their games to a lower standard, because they likely want those expectations to be mightily surpassed and MS to rise to the occasion and meet the standards of the times. And to be fair to MS, they do have games which have achieved this, even if most aren't in the genres or templates of Sony's marquee games. Flight Sim, the Forza Horizon series are the two most immediate examples.

Second, HFW is an excellent game but at the same time, like Halo, it does nothing new or nothing I haven't already done in other games. For the most part, it's a Ubisoft style checklist game. In a lot of ways, the game went backwards. Subtract the visuals and the game is maybe a 7 at best because what does it really do better than ZD? There's underwater but no combat and you have to hide in seaweed which was in Black Flag over 8 years ago. That's a step back. Climbing is worse and if it's not AC style where it's completely free, it's better off being like ZD where there's just climbing spots instead. The grapple hook adds nothing to game either. What does it really do? You use it to pull out metal rods from barricaded or to get a chest to come to you if you can't reach it. Also, the grapple hook seems like an extra in regards to climbing and whatnot instead of implementing free climbing which if it existed in FW, the grapple hook no longer becomes necessary.

Some of this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Again with the climbing, why do people have so much an issue with the climbing? It's not a mountain climbing simulator 😂. The climbing is at the very least serviceable, and readable, and it does enough to feel integrated in with the rest of the game mechanics. I don't see why it needs to be AC-style to be worth implementing in the game, because AC was built on a very different style of open-world, at least at first, which is what necessitated its style of climbing.

Third, there's no air combat so what's the point in overriding a stormbird and flying? So I can get that meaningless reward at the top of the mountain or more tree branches to collect? The game is also way too big. The game is also very slow and doesn't pick up until you go through the Embassy quest where things finally get going. Next, there's the hand glider which I love in games but without free climbing, I barely used it. Only when I was high up and didn't want to climb back down.

The Embassy quest is pretty early tho and if you're not doing a lot of side content, you can get to it fairly early. I chose to do a lot of side content and resource gathering, though, so getting up to that point took a bit longer. I dunno if the game is "too big", that's a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't scenario and the map seems about as large if not smaller than Elden Ring's, and both of those games will probably be "smaller" in terms of sheer game world size than Starfield (though that game's approach has me concerned, for others reasons, dealing with all those planets).

Next, the side content is clear out this camp or collect this or that for an NPC that simply doesn't matter. There's way too much focus on all the visuals which in all honesty, at times is just too much. It's overdone. I don't need every spot to be filled with foliage to where I can barely see what im doing. Combat feels off at times. The valor surges add nothing and why you can only choose one out of 12 if I remember correctly defeats the entire purpose. You also feel underpowered for the majority of the game. You don't get the better equipment until 75%+ through the story and you don't get all the story equipment until a few quests before the game ends which is horrible design in my opinion. There's all this underwater areas but I can't do them until im like 90% through the story?

I have never really had any issues with visual overload in HFW, or readibility WRT what I'm doing, except in enclosed spaces in combat with machines, and some of that was down to my playstyle (which could be better). I'll agree that in terms of some of the melee combat, there's a lack of options, particularly defensive ones. Would've really appreciated a block or quick-dodge, even a parry, for the Warrior skill set.

1. Halo Infinite is far from being one of the worst games of all time though.
2. Correct me if im wrong but didn't you say Halo Infinite realistically is more like an 8/10? If so, that's not a bad game at all. I have no issues with it being an 87 rated game. Even if you want to say that it's more like an 8 to an 8.5/10, okay, that's still a great game and nowhere near bad.

I agree that games SHOULD be reviewed for what they are but they're not because they won't be the same for everyone. You have to take into account that everyone has their favorites and personal biases and rarely do people go against them. It's like Souls games, Nintendo games, Rockstar, etc. They're all going to get favored even if/when they don't deserve it because there's people who love them and unless it's truly a bad or broken game, they won't review it low.

The argument about reviews, at least on my end, is that with the reality that MANY games get updates and patches over time and some (particularly Nintendo and some Sony games) are essentially 'evergreen' (i.e they persistently sell for months and years post-launch), the practice of reviews should better reflect the reality of the industry and the shopping habits of most customers.

Additionally with stuff like live-service games, updates can very easily create huge swings in more or less player activity, or more/less player spending, and some games that might have gotten massive updates that were essentially "dead" before, won't benefit from WOM because they may not have the community presence to have enough people out of that who even care to spread WOM for the game. That's where updated reviews could come in and be a benefit, though.

The only reason why im keeping track of Microsoft's review scores on OC is simple. It's because they need to hit FOR ME this generation. If Xbox Series X doesn't at the very least become my #1 best Xbox console (which in all honesty, it should) and #2 overall (behind only PS4) once this generation ends, then Microsoft and Xbox will forever be my secondary gaming console as I would switch back to PlayStation as my primary console next generation.

Fair enough.

Ubisoft style game in that it's an open world checklist. Ubisoft has viewpoints. Horizon has the Tallnecks. Same thing. Horizon has bandit camps. So does Ubisoft games. Same thing. There's all the icons on the world map. Same as Ubisoft. There's way more similarities than differences in how the setup, style and template is. Basically, the structure is setup the same. And this applies to nearly every open world game in general because unless you're an ER or BOTW that makes it feel different (even though they're really not all that much either), what else can developers do? It's like, here's 15 camps to clear out on the map. Here's 5 tallnecks to climb. Here's a bunch of resources you need to gather to upgrade your stuff. It's all truly the same crap because what other structure could they do in an open world game.

Is Horizon better than vast majority of Ubisoft games? Yes. And I say this as someone who's favorite company is Ubisoft. The structure is pretty much identical. Are the stories, combat, etc. all different? Yes but again, the structure and setup is the same. And I love these open world games. I don't mind a checklist but at the same time, im not expecting anything new or different or revloutionary because I know none of them are.

Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey has free climbing and underwater combat. HFW which is minimum 4+ years after Origins yet doesn't have either so in my mind, it's a step back because almost 5 years later, that's what im expecting. For sequels, I expect more. Especially when other games do the same things but better.

The climbing is improved but is it AC Origins/Odyssey levels? No way. Why can't I just free climb? Why am I restricted to following an outline on the walls and mountains? Also, why does Aloy not climb where I want her to go despite the outline telling me I can? Is it better than Zero Dawn, maybe but then again, I played ZD at launch before AC Origins so the climbing was perfectly acceptable for me. 5 years later though, an open world game like Forbidden West should have free climbing.

I can see that in regards to the grapple hook but if you could free climb, you would just climb to get away from enemies so the result is the same but the grapple hook is more of a hassle and nuisance. I simply believe that if free climbing was in FW, there would be no need for a grapple hook.

Hand glider was great. No argument there. The flying though is so late in the game, by this time, I was like 95% done with everything. By the time you unlock this ability via the story, the game is basically over. The ability to fly and the breather for underwater is good in general to have but because you gain it so late in the story, the game is basically forcing you to back track if you want to complete those other areas you couldn't access earlier.

Side content is optional but at the same time, in an action RPG, if you want to level up and fill out your skill trees, you kinda have to do the vast majority of it all. I didn't praise the visuals in Halo Infinite. I said it was their main weakness but I wasn't playing it for the visuals. HFW has amazing visuals but would I sacrifice some of those visuals for free climbing? Oh hell yeah!!! Would I sacrifice a little more for the breather and ability to fly a stormbird in the first 25% of the story? Even more so, hell yeah!!

I agree with the story missions being more meaningful and once you get to The Embassy, they're all excellent. Loved the story quests but I do wish there was more of them. I'm not a fan of short main stories when it's an open world game. I will always prefer more story quests over any optional side content when it comes to open world games. Side quests were for the most part good and better than the first game but a lot of them are still fetch quests or go save this person repeatedly. Story/character wise, I agree 100% that they're way more meaningful than ZD.

I wasn't great in FW and played half the game on hard until I got tired of feeling underpowered so I did lower the difficulty. However, I completed Zero Dawn on hard pretty easily because you do more damage output in ZD than you do in FW. Watching a video earlier today for all patches and updates for FW, Guerrilla nerfed so many weapons, bombs and armor which I 100% disagree with because it's a single player game. It's a competitive game whatsoever. Also, I do turn off various options. Compass, aim assist, any enemy detection arrows or that eye thing, all off.

I hold FW to a different standard because I played and completed the original and simply expected more and better. I also expected Guerrilla to give me underwater combat and free climbing with the climbing being my #1 most wanted gameplay element. I didn't get either so of course, I will hold it to a higher standard.

With Halo Infinite, my expectations were low. Never played a Halo game. Was hoping for at least an 8 or 8.5 personally and I would have bee very happy and content with that. I'm not a massive first person shooter guy. I prefer third person over first person so that's another reason why my expectations were low.

Simply, Halo Infinite exceeded my expectations where as Horizon Forbidden West didn't. I do love both games and am all in for their future campaign expansions.

As for what I believe is superior, not true. Apologies but looking up my ratings in my spreadsheet, I have Halo Infinite listed as a 9 in visuals, 10 in audio, 9 in combat/gameplay and a 10 in story/characters. For HFW, I have it listed as a 10 in visuals, 10 in audio, 8.5 in gameplay/combat, 10 in story/characters and an 9.0/10 for side content since I did everything excluding collecting documents.

Overall, both are actually a 9.5/10 overall but the main difference is that HI was my 2021 goty to where I don't think HFW wins my 2022 goty unless both GOWR and TLOUP1 are massive disappointments. Also, my expectations for FW were higher due to what ZD was for me. And as I said, there were elements in FW gameplay/combat wise that I didn't like/enjoy and some stuff really irked me like not being able to free climb. Add in the technical issues I had throughout the game and that's why it's an 8.5/10 for me in this category. For reference, ZD was a 10 in visuals, 9 in audio, 10 in gameplay and 9 in story/characters.

So again, I actually loved both games but different expectations for each of them. All my games have different expectations. For example, my expectations for Steel Rising and Evil West in September are nowhere near what they will be for The Last of Us Part I which was my 2013 goty and my 360/PS3 game of the generation.

So while I agree with you in general regarding reviews, critics, etc., it's just not what it is and most likely never will be because like you with HFW or me with HI, it's always going to come down to personal favoritism and what the person prefers, likes and enjoys the most.

Also fair enough. I would say that for most people, just from the optics of how both games have been performing post-launch, HFW is easily the better of the two between it and Halo Infinite. For myself personally, games like HFW are more to my cup of tea than Halo Infinite, and I feel it does more to be a leader in at least some aspects within its genre market and the general industry, than Halo Infinite has managed to accomplish (or failed to, in better saying).

But at least you have clearly expressed your reasonings for your opinion and it shows you have thoroughly and genuinely experienced the game, and for that you deserve respect.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Darth Vader
OP
OP
nominedomine

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
BoTW also has towers and ER has the map fragments that reveal the map, they just do it in a more classy way.

I personally am very picky with my open world games and these Sony open world games are not really my thing, even if they are above average and well made, they are not very exciting for me. I like their more focused games a lot more, with the exception of Spider-man, a mage that gets traversal so right it benefits a lot from being open world. The problem is that the market really seems to favor open world games when it comes to sales (just look at how well ER did compared to all other From Software games) so there is a lot of pressure for Sony to invest in those games.

There are very few well designed open world games out there (Ubisoft formula or not) and for as much as Guerrilla is technically competent I feel like they still need to find themselves and take that next step as far as game design goes.

As for Halo Infinite, garbage, feels like playing the same game that was already dated in 2001 with a poorly applied coat of cheap paint. No way I'm ever finishing it. Halo dying is the best thing that could've happened to MS, they've been dragging this IP around for way too long (same with Gears).

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Money solved this mans problems.
More than money I'd say excellent PR.

They have been years with a very low amount of great console exclusives even many years after they bought or created important studios and people still cheers him and gives him credit.

They had a "good" year last year which basically Halo, Forza (they already had this before him) and an indie game they bought that was created before joining them and funded in Kickstarter.

So basically his main addition for the best year they had in a several years including a console launch has been a Double Fine game they already had before being bought by MS. I wouldn't call it impressive.

I think he did many moves in the right direction but many important ones still will need many years to show proper results:
  • To release a good enough stream of great AAA 1st party exclusives every year as Sony does, or at least to have a great stream of 1st party -even if multiplatform- day one on GP. They made movements on the good direction but we'll have to wait to see results.
  • He bought many teams and well known IPs (some active, some almost dead and a few ones to be released and proven like Starfield) but still have the issue of not being able to release blockbuster big seller new IPs as Sony does many times every generation. I want to see Phil saying a game that is a new IP created in his company -not before being bought by them or before he got in charge of the division- sold 10M copies (not 10M $1 gamepass users), something I think he never said before. They can't rely on old IPs or purchasing external ones forever, they need to start creating new blockbuster IPs periodically. Again, they seem to be working on it but we're far to see results.
  • Regarding their own version of PS Now they implemented some things Sony had planned even before than Sony (like the mobile version) but I think MS still has to evolve it to have the same catalog to stream in all platforms because right now is a bit confusing.
People has a lot of patience and gave him a ton of credit even if still have to deliver in several fronts including the most important one: big, great AAA 1st party games, specially new IPs or exclusives.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

4 Jul 2022
87Nm8B5.gif

OP
OP
nominedomine

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
More than money I'd say excellent PR.

They have been years with a very low amount of great console exclusives even many years after they bought or created important studios and people still cheers him and gives him credit.

They had a "good" year last year which basically Halo, Forza (they already had this before him) and an indie game they bought that was created before joining them and funded in Kickstarter.

So basically his main addition for the best year they had in a several years including a console launch has been a Double Fine game they already had before being bought by MS. I wouldn't call it impressive.

I think he did many moves in the right direction but many important ones still will need many years to show proper results:
  • To release a good enough stream of great AAA 1st party exclusives every year as Sony does, or at least to have a great stream of 1st party -even if multiplatform- day one on GP. They made movements on the good direction but we'll have to wait to see results.
  • He bought many teams and well known IPs (some active, some almost dead and a few ones to be released and proven like Starfield) but still have the issue of not being able to release blockbuster big seller new IPs as Sony does many times every generation. I want to see Phil saying a game that is a new IP created in his company -not before being bought by them or before he got in charge of the division- sold 10M copies (not 10M $1 gamepass users), something I think he never said before. They can't rely on old IPs or purchasing external ones forever, they need to start creating new blockbuster IPs periodically. Again, they seem to be working on it but we're far to see results.
  • Regarding their own version of PS Now they implemented some things Sony had planned even before than Sony (like the mobile version) but I think MS still has to evolve it to have the same catalog to stream in all platforms because right now is a bit confusing.
People has a lot of patience and gave him a ton of credit even if still have to deliver in several fronts including the most important one: big, great AAA 1st party games, specially new IPs or exclusives.
xCloud has been a massive failure so far, the barrier of entry is $1 and it's like it doesn't even exist. They can put it on people's fridge and it will still make no difference, it has been available on mobile for a while now. Maybe if the TV manufactures start including the controller but then what is going to happen is that every other gaming streaming service will get TV versions as well.

MS is way too concerned with finding way for people to easily play games they are not interested in, instead of just making games people want to play.

OP
OP
nominedomine

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Dude, we know the numbers of subscriber to Gamepass already, there is no way to play xCloud outside of that. At the very least try to inform yourself before you champion a failing streaming service, did you make excuses for Stadia and PSNow as well?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If MS would have a nice number of people using xCloud they'd share that number.

The most similar thing they said was a few months ago when they claimed that 10M people streamed over xCloud, that wasn't even MAU and even less MAU of people paying the full subscription instead of doing it for free or for $1.

xCloud has been a massive failure so far, the barrier of entry is $1 and it's like it doesn't even exist. They can put it on people's fridge and it will still make no difference, it has been available on mobile for a while now. Maybe if the TV manufactures start including the controller but then what is going to happen is that every other gaming streaming service will get TV versions as well.

MS is way too concerned with finding way for people to easily play games they are not interested in, instead of just making games people want to play.
They have been building the service and its catalog. I think they signed with Samsung to include it on their tvs next to other cloud gaming services.

Regarding games, they are working on them and I think next year will be the first one where they'll have a good stream during the whole year of great AAA games added there day one (I know we have been saying this for years, but seems this time will happen for real) and that will continue happening the next years. I think then they'll start getting the attention of the players and will start to grow well specially on PC because in console most PS users won't change PS for Xbox and mobile and TV players will need more time.

Mobile and TV players I think will be very important in the future but not soon. Wifi 6 mobile phones, tablets, tv and routers will need to become the standard, the internet connection quality of the people has to improve (data caps need to die, high speed fiber and 5G need to increase a lot its coverage). And once all this thing becomes the norm at least in the top 20 countries of gaming or so, these cloud gaming services will have to be a popular mainstream thing in console and PC so it becomes appealing to gamers who don't own a console or gaming PC, which will be mostly from countries where new consoles aren't the big gaming deal and where great Internet connections will take even longer to be the norm specially in non key areas of their country.

I think cloud gaming is making its baby steps in console and PC but in mobiles and tv it's barely a newborn far away from making baby steps. I think cloud gaming won't be a mature market until the next (PS6) generation and specially thowards the end.

But if you're lucky and have the proper tech (playing using LAN cable instead of wifi, switching off all the other internet devices while playing, using a modern wifi6 capable router, having a gigabit fiber internet connection and having a server relatively close as seems to be my case now with PS+ Premium) right now you already can have cloud gaming with an image quality and input lag that most not ultra hardcore players won't notice the difference vs playing locally even in bullet hell shmups or fighting games.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: nominedomine

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Dude, we know the numbers of subscriber to Gamepass already, there is no way to play xCloud outside of that. At the very least try to inform yourself before you champion a failing streaming service, did you make excuses for Stadia and PSNow as well?
Failing by the arbitrary standard of a console warrior? Cool story bro :sleep:

P

peter42O

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on the whole "games aren't worth re-reviewing" part, @Dodkrake spoke to that in terms of a rebuttal well enough for me.

But to the bolded, is actually something I have been curious about, as in if it were fair. You're right, a LOT of the people who reviewed Elden Ring were already hardcore Soulsbourne fans, but why is it that Elden Ring specifically had an essentially "perfect" curated selection of reviewers to review that game? If you're of mind that HFW is an "Ubisoft game, if Sony made one", then why didn't HFW have a curation of big Ubisoft open-world favoring reviewers?

That's the kind of thing I don't get; review aggregates should have a way of ensuring that all games have a balance of hardcore fans, casuals, and even non-fans (of that type of genre or work/IP) to submit reviews and have them indicate which way they fall. Present a balance in the pool of reviews, in terms of perspectives, and you'll get a more balanced and honest aggregate score. I'm still looking forward to picking up Elden Ring a bit later this year and I'll probably really enjoy it, but it just feels a bit weird that so many of the reviews already came with a slant, from people who are really into Souls-like games to begin with, which is obviously going to make the aggregate average biased in the game's favor.
Games aren't worth re-reviewing for websites and magazines. They rarely if ever do that. Besides, if a game released good or bad at launch and then goes the opposite way, the player count usually reflects that and by that time, people are simply going based on word of mouth, how many people are playing the game and may look them up to see what content has been added and whatnot. But for websites and magazines where they're constantly reviewing new games, none of them are going to waste their time re-reviewing a game.

Majority of critics and reviewers don't like Ubisoft and rarely rate their games 80+. The last 90 was Far Cry 3 if I remember correctly. Ubisoft games are usually in that good (7 range) to great (8 range) area for vast majority of people. Some of their games score higher for me because im a Ubisoft guy and they're my favorite company but even then, if a game disappoints (Valhalla, WD Legion) I say so and if a game isn't worth playing (Breakpoint), I drop that shit and move on.

The HFW being a Ubisoft structured game is how it's setup. Anyone who's played them should easily see this. They all have a set amount of bandit camps, random enemies/machines roaming around, side content that basically repeats throughout the game (like how many ruins or pyramids can you complete before realizing that the setup is the same). Even The WItcher 3 which was my PS4/XBO game of the generation has a Ubisoft style structure for it's open world. How many nests do I have to clear out? How many bandit camps do I have to clear out?

The structure in open world games are literally all the same but with different content meaning there's no "nests" in AC or HFW but they are in Days Gone. They all normally have a ton of bandit camps to clear out. The reason why is simple, what else can they do in an open world game to fill it out. The story/characters, setting, combat, etc. can all vary but the structure of how open world games is setup are all exactly the same. How many "points of interest" does there have to be in an open world game? Usually hundreds.

That's what I mean when HFW is a Ubisoft style game because the open world structure is exactly setup like a Ubisoft open world game. I'm not bashing this as I do like them but at times, even I get bored going through an almost 100 hour open world game where im constantly doing the same shit over and over.

As for Elden Ring, if the reviewers were souls fans, it's no different than people here being Sony fans and giving their games high ratings because they're fans of those particular games and unless it's truly bad or broken, they will always score high. I do the same thing. I may be a little more critical based on my expectations for each individual game, meaning if my expectations are high, im far more critical than if my expectations are low. Reviewers are no different than us. They're just people and gamers. Only difference is that they're getting paid where as someone like me who's doing this stuff for my own personal reasons and self isn't.

I haven't played Elden Ring nor will I ever because im not a souls guy. Most I played was about 10 hours of Bloodborne and that was more than enough. I did however complete Nioh but I needed save wizard on PS4 to do so. In general, Nioh had better combat and I liked the story/characters, setting and prefer a preset voiced protagonist than a silent created character. And even with Nioh, I simply wanted a "samurai" game to play while I was waiting for Tsushima.

I agree with you completely with the second paragraph but from what I understand about the review process. It all comes down to who's available to review the game and im pretty sure those who want to say review God of War Ragnarok or Elden Ring would put their request in to get the review code so they can play and review it because it's their type of game. Of course, this is just based on what I have read and seen others say over the years. I don't know 100% for certain how the review process works at sites and magazines. One thing is that when it comes to a certain genre, franchise or company, I do believe that they all get someone who is favored towards that when reviewing the game because they don't really want someone like me for example reviewing an Elden Ring because that shit would be like a 6/10 for me because it's of no interest to me and I see it as simply inferior to what I prefer to play.

In general, I believe that reviews and youtubers should simply be no more than a reference for games that you're interested in playing but 50/50 on. For example, Stranger of Paradise is a game I have been looking at recently but watching a few youtubers (who I do prefer over gaming sites and magazines because they go more in depth and some like ACG or Matty buy the game and give it away to a Patreon member so their $60+ is being spent just like mine is), they said that there's no waypoints, you can get easily lost, the writing is bad, story overall isn't any good and the biggest praise was the combat and job system but looking deeper into it, I decided to pass on it because there's more negatives than positives for me.

Back to Elden Ring for a minute, the one major issue I had with reviews was that the majority didn't complete the story campaign which in my opinion, is a must for me to take your review seriously. I have played games where the ending/final hours made the game better or worse so for the majority to not complete the game is disappointing but since they're souls fans and huge From Software fans, they're going to give it a pass.

P

peter42O

BoTW also has towers and ER has the map fragments that reveal the map, they just do it in a more classy way.

I personally am very picky with my open world games and these Sony open world games are not really my thing, even if they are above average and well made, they are not very exciting for me. I like their more focused games a lot more, with the exception of Spider-man, a mage that gets traversal so right it benefits a lot from being open world. The problem is that the market really seems to favor open world games when it comes to sales (just look at how well ER did compared to all other From Software games) so there is a lot of pressure for Sony to invest in those games.

There are very few well designed open world games out there (Ubisoft formula or not) and for as much as Guerrilla is technically competent I feel like they still need to find themselves and take that next step as far as game design goes.

As for Halo Infinite, garbage, feels like playing the same game that was already dated in 2001 with a poorly applied coat of cheap paint. No way I'm ever finishing it. Halo dying is the best thing that could've happened to MS, they've been dragging this IP around for way too long (same with Gears).
From what I played of BOTW (about 20 hours) and seen of Elden Ring, they're basically a Ubisoft open world game but without all the icons on the map. The structure is setup to be more of an "exploration" direction than going from checkpoint to checkpoint.

I'm not really picky with open world games even though I do at times get fatigued by them, mainly because some of them are just too damn massive. I do love HZD, HFW, Days Gone, Spider Man 2018, Miles Morales and Tsushima. I'm very much looking forward to Tsushima 2, Spider Man 2 and Wolverine. I do agree with you in regards to Sony investing more into their open world games.

Agree with your opinion on the design of open world games. There's very few that do anything outside of the norm.

I disagree with Halo Infinite being garbage. I mean come on. But I have no issue with you not liking it or no longer being into the franchise. For me, Halo Infinite is/was my entry point into the series so I have no comparison or point of reference for the series. I agree in regards to Microsoft dragging around Halo and Gears.

For Gears, I want to see the current Kait story line get wrapped up. Then, I would like to see a prequel like Gears Tactics with Gabe Diaz but it's purely solo, no co-op or MP and it's a survival horror game that takes place before the original Gears of War game. I personally believe they have the world, monsters, atmosphere and immersion to pull it off and to where it would fit in. After that, I would like to see a new Gears trilogy using the characters from Hivebusters which was great because it's what Gears should be. A straight forward action packed linear experience. But I would give the three characters their own play style and make changes like adding a weapon wheel, putting grenades to the RB button instead of having to select them and having melee weapons that don't actually break.

I would like to see The Coalition create a new IP but as someone who prefers third person shooters, I want to see Gears continue because one of the few IP's/franchises from Microsoft that im guaranteed to play through. lol

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
People talk about him(You know who) as though he is Shigeru Miyamoto or Ken Kutaragi.

In reality he took control of the Gaming division of a trillion dollar company. Give anyone Microsoft's War Chest of Money and they would do a better job than this guy.

Give me a break.

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
People talk about him(You know who) as though he is Shigeru Miyamoto or Ken Kutaragi.

In reality he took control of the Gaming division of a trillion dollar company. Give anyone Microsoft's War Chest of Money and they would do a better job than this guy.

Give me a break.
He brought us the best deal in gaming. Top tier executive.

Status
Not open for further replies.