What is the deal with Phil Spencer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's possible we would have gotten those games even without Spencer, true. I do think we are in good hands though

While I respect your opinion, I really struggle to see how someone can look at a console with pretty much no games to show for so far and say "we're in good hands". Phil really is a very good snake oil salesman.

Reactions: Swift_Star

Yossarian

15 Jul 2022
While I respect your opinion, I really struggle to see how someone can look at a console with pretty much no games to show for so far and say "we're in good hands". Phil really is a very good snake oil salesman.
It's a running joke on /v/ that "<X system> has no games". I could say Playstation has nothing but bloodborne, or switch only has BotW and Mario Odyssey.

OP
OP
nominedomine

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
It's a running joke on /v/ that "<X system> has no games". I could say Playstation has nothing but bloodborne, or switch only has BotW and Mario Odyssey.
Except that in the case of the Xbox it's true, so please, don't joke about it, it makes people feel bad.

Craig of War

Banned
12 Jul 2022
PS5 has no games either though? 😁
my man lol GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Otogi, Otogi 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Ninja Gaiden Black, Ninja Gaiden II

Now they are getting Yakuza, and Atlus games. Those aren't exclusive though, I'll grant you that

I own all of those, but thats part of my issue. Where is this Xbox? Back when they were signing and paying development for those titles? Yet we get Wo long, which looks good. But to me I would rather have a Ninja Gaiden reboot, new Otagi style game from sega.

It doesn't? In what reality? Are we in the multiverse now, and do I live in earth prime while you live in earth phil?

Pretty sure he's trolling. All the games from Japan MS is getting have been on Playstation for years. MS gets the scraps. He knows, if you want Japanese games you go Playstation/Nintendo.

Yossarian

15 Jul 2022
It doesn't? In what reality? Are we in the multiverse now, and do I live in earth prime while you live in earth phil?
Demon Souls - a ps3 game
Gran turismo 7 - a ps4 game
Horizon FW - a ps4 game
God of War Ragnarok - a ps4 game

That leaves you with what, Returnal and Rift Apart? Not exactly system sellers...

OP
OP
nominedomine

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Otogi, Otogi 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Ninja Gaiden Black, Ninja Gaiden II
As I said, no good games in 20 years or so. If you ask for a top 10 list people will place Halo, Forza and Gears at the top and those games are mediocre at best, reinforcing my point.

Trying to use some Japanese games to make Xbox look good goes against the very fabric of reality.

How are those franchises doing btw? Thats the price paid by working with Xbox.

Last edited:

Yossarian

15 Jul 2022
I own all of those, but thats part of my issue. Where is this Xbox? Back when they were signing and paying development for those titles? Yet we get Wo long, which looks good. But to me I would rather have a Ninja Gaiden reboot, new Otagi style game from sega.

Pretty sure he's trolling. All the games from Japan MS is getting have been on Playstation for years. MS gets the scraps. He knows, if you want Japanese games you go Playstation/Nintendo.
I do think PS is better for Japanese games. I was just replying with good xbox Exclusives from the last 20 years.

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
  • Playground has two teams, right? The first team released Forza. The second team is struggling and has been working on the game for 4+ years now.
  • Obsidian couldn't release Grounded 1.0 in two years! The Outer Worlds was already done when MS purchased Obsidian. They didn't even publish the game. Private Division did. So the majority of the studio has been working on Avowed, and it's just not coming along.
  • Ninja Theory has multiple projects, yes. Are any of those other projects close to completion then?
  • Yes, Undead Labs have been working on SOD3 for 4+ years, and it's still in early production. This is exactly my point.
You say teams have been working on multiple projects and that's why they couldn't release the main game, but that's not correct. This assumes that the main game got delayed because resources were shifted to other projects, but it's not like those projects have been released either.

They have released nothing at all.

Ninja Theory may have 2-3 projects, but that's not causing the delay. Neither project is close to release, and it's been 5 years. It's just poor management, and that's on Philly boy.

Playground has two teams. One released an amazing game already. The other is working on Fable. Yep, it’s been in development for awhile. Games take time.

Obsidian released Outer Worlds a year after being acquired. They have multiple teams working on multiple things. Yep, Avowed has been in development awhile. Thanks for further confirming that yep, games take time. Regarding Grounded, it’s actually longer than two years, they were making that game when MS bought them. It was also a team of like 15 people or something. Games take time.

Yep, NT and UL are working on big games and they aren’t ready yet. Games take time. Personally I’d rather MS take the “hands off” approach they have been described as having and allow these games to bake properly as opposed to something like Crackdown 3 or Cyberpunk but maybe that’s just me.

tl;dr - hey turns out games take time to make

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Demon Souls - a ps3 game
Horizon FW - a ps4 game

That leaves you with what, Returnal and Rift Apart? Not exactly system sellers...

I thought you were trolling, but your fucking serious. God, there's no hope for you son. And you took my Brother's name Kirya San, you dont deserve to have that name!!!

Yossarian

15 Jul 2022
As I said, no good games in 20 years or so. If you ask for a top 10 list people will place Halo, Forza and Gears at the top and those games are mediocre at best, reinforcing my point.
You said in 20 years they had no good games. They did.

I think they release everything on PC / Xbox in tandem now. Kind of like another system that is now releasing it's exclusives on PC..

Yossarian

15 Jul 2022
I thought you were trolling, but your fucking serious. God, there's no hope for you son. And you took my Brother's name Kirya San, you dont deserve to have that name!!!
Ha ha. Tbh I think xbox and ps are both good platforms. I'm just trying to look at it logically

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Demon Souls - a ps3 game
Horizon FW - a ps4 game

So suddenly games on the PS4 don't count towards PS5's repertoire, even if they have a PS5 version with all the bells and whistles? Then the Xbox Series console don't have any games that I know of. Let's be honest for a moment:

Demon's Souls (remake and not the OG)
GT7
Horizon
GOW R
TLOU PT I (remake and not the OG)
Ratchet
Returnal
Ghostwire Tokyo
Deathloop (will become multiplat)
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Spiderman Miles Morales
Astro's Playroom
Sifu
Kena bridge of Spirits

Some of these are on PC as well, but all of them are available with PS5 versions and on PS consoles only.

If this is having no games, what is this? And excellent backlog?

Forza Horizon 5
Halo Infinite
Microsoft Flight Simulator

PS: I may be forgetting games on both sides, it's not an exhaustive list. But these are the ones that have made the most impact in the last couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.