What will sell more Spiderman 2 or Starfield?

What will sell more Spiderman 2 or Starfield?

• Spiderman

Votes: 81 89.0%
  • Starfield

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Around the same

Votes: 5 5.5%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 782

PlayStation first-party launch sales.

Sold-through sales numbers
3 days - TLOU = 4 million units
3 days - Spider-Man = 3.3 million units
3 days - GOW = 3.1 million units
3 days - UC4 = 2.7 million units
5 days - GOW:R = 5.1 million units
14 days - HZD = 2.6 million units

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
PlayStation first-party launch sales.

Sold-through sales numbers
3 days - TLOU = 4 million units
3 days - Spider-Man = 3.3 million units
3 days - GOW = 3.1 million units
3 days - UC4 = 2.7 million units
5 days - GOW:R = 5.1 million units
14 days - HZD = 2.6 million units
spider man 2 will crush everything at the end of the year

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: PS_ROCKS

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
What’s with some posters here equating Starfield with Skyrim?

Skyrim sold this then Starfield will do the same?

One is a new IP on 2 platforms with Gamepass and the other was an established IP on numerous platforms and generations.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
If Starfield sells well on PC is probably means PC Gamepass will never take off.

It's either relatively low sales or disappointing growth in Gamepass subscribers.

I hope this is going to be Bethesda's Cyberpunk if once again they deliver an uninspired and poorly designed game that is also a technical mess.

lupumSolitarius

8 Jul 2023
I hope this is going to be Bethesda's Cyberpunk if once again they deliver an uninspired and poorly designed game that is also a technical mess.
Given Bethesda's Open World pedigree, I doubt they'll get to CDPR's level of over-promising and under-delivering. From their gameplay presentations, Starfield plays very much in BGS's strengths as a studio and the technologies they've built.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Starfield would have vastly outperformed Cyberpunk 2077 if it was being sold as a $70 multi platform game. But it’s on gamespass for both Xbox and PC and will instead bring in a fraction of that. Hundreds of millions abandoned.

I’m sure Pete Hines is not happy that CoD and Diablo will be able to recoup their dev and marketing costs with future games and the last 10 years of dev time on Starfield won’t until they started dropping paid expansion and dlc content (which they are already in preorder).

You’re only going to get a unique player stat which I’m guessing is going to be close to 20 million at launch. Exponentially way bigger release than Halo as well.

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Microsoft said themselves they are sacrificing sales to increase xbox ecosystem, which means sales on their own platform as well.

You are either gonna have a major increase in gamepass subscribers or sales, it can’t be both, unless they expect every common gamer to buy an xbox, subscribe to gamepass and then buy the game on top of it, its just not realistic.

I assume once word gets out that a lot of playstation only gamers will just stream the game instead of dumping money on it.

24 Jun 2022
Unless it gets a PS5 & Switch 2 version, I don't see Starfield pulling more than 14 million in lifetime sales. At least 60% of those will be on PC, and then there is Game Pass on both Xbox and PC acting as an alternative which will drive down the need to buy the game itself.

I think it can do a solid 3 million in its first month (1 million on launch day), 7 million in its first year, and then sell the rest over a period of a few years. Again, that's with Xbox & PC, majority of sales on the latter.

They aren't getting Skyrim 30+ million numbers without PlayStation and Nintendo, full stop. You can kill that dream right here and now. Skyrim also benefited from a very different market at the time where there weren't many other WRPGs around, and RPG mechanics weren't as prevalent in other AAA games. That's no longer the case, and it will still have to contend not just with Spiderman 2, but also Baulder's Gate 3, Diablo 4 (which is still going strong), TOTK (also still going strong), and FF XVI (ditto). People aren't just going to stop playing those games because Starfield's now available, no en masse.

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
TItle shouldve be Miles Morales 2 or Starfield

Spider-Man Spiderverse Movie GIF by Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse

Cos

Spiderman is the villain in this game

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Spiderman will probably have higher sales first couple months but I fully expect Starfield sales to be dependent on PC... So that's a wild card.

• haha
Reactions: Gediminas

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Unless it gets a PS5 & Switch 2 version, I don't see Starfield pulling more than 14 million in lifetime sales. At least 60% of those will be on PC, and then there is Game Pass on both Xbox and PC acting as an alternative which will drive down the need to buy the game itself.

I think it can do a solid 3 million in its first month (1 million on launch day), 7 million in its first year, and then sell the rest over a period of a few years. Again, that's with Xbox & PC, majority of sales on the latter.

They aren't getting Skyrim 30+ million numbers without PlayStation and Nintendo, full stop. You can kill that dream right here and now. Skyrim also benefited from a very different market at the time where there weren't many other WRPGs around, and RPG mechanics weren't as prevalent in other AAA games. That's no longer the case, and it will still have to contend not just with Spiderman 2, but also Baulder's Gate 3, Diablo 4 (which is still going strong), TOTK (also still going strong), and FF XVI (ditto). People aren't just going to stop playing those games because Starfield's now available, no en masse.
Yoo putting it this way, it seems untenable not to do a PS5 version down the line. Exclusives are important for the brand, but if you leave 20M sales on the table on a game that probably cost 400M to make, you're fucking up egregiously.