What would it take for y'all to be ok with PlayStation on PC?

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
I've been reading up and there seems to be a three way split of viewpoints around here.

• Absolutely not, stop ports immediately
  • It doesn't bother me either way
  • I hope there's more
With that said to the detractors, what would make it fine for you because I'm getting a sense of contradiction in arguments.

On one hand you say "it's going to kill PlayStation", but in the same breathe I see many of you say "why are they even doing this, the sales are so low"...

Those two sets of logic run in complete opposition, especially seeing as the PS5 is basically in perfect step with the PS4 LTD.

Also with there being about a 2 year lead time before ports are made, and well after a game has reached sunset, for a lack of better terminology; where's the fire?

These games for me coming to PC has reinvigorated my interest in Sony's games personally. I think I own every single one they've released with the exception of Sackboy (lol shocking).

I'm really looking for some cohesive and less fervor based constructive viewpoints.

Thank you

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
PC for gaas day 1. 2+ year timed exclusives to PC.

Basically, PC is needed for multiplayer, not single player.

Reactions: Shadow2027
OP
OP
rinzler

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
PC for gaas day 1. 2+ year timed exclusives to PC.

Basically, PC is needed for multiplayer, not single player.
That's kind of where I am. There are so many games coming out these days that I don't need Sony single player games on day one, but it's nice to be able to play them at some point with all the extra bells and whistles.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
- Denuvo on every single player game
- Official (as in publicly announced) 2 years window minimum for single player games to release on PC
- Games to be ported to PC by dedicated teams after being developed for PS5 first
- Free online on PS5
- No higher textures/effects on PC that go above what the PS5 has.

I would not be bothered by PC ports if they followed something like this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rinzler

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
- Denuvo on every game
- Oficial 2 years window minimun for a single player game to release on PC
Shockingly I am one of the PC gamers who doesn't care about denovo being on a game or not, because I know it doesn't actually do anything unless you have a computer that is basically minimum requirements level.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
Release only gaas games on pc and start announcing some new games and release more games on Ps5 in a year than stuff on pc. How things have been since last year is tiring and annoying

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
I've been reading up and there seems to be a three way split of viewpoints around here.

• Absolutely not, stop ports immediately
  • It doesn't bother me either way
  • I hope there's more
With that said to the detractors, what would make it fine for you because I'm getting a sense of contradiction in arguments.

On one hand you say "it's going to kill PlayStation", but in the same breathe I see many of you say "why are they even doing this, the sales are so low"...

Those two sets of logic run in complete opposition, especially seeing as the PS5 is basically in perfect step with the PS4 LTD.

Also with there being about a 2 year lead time before ports are made, and well after a game has reached sunset, for a lack of better terminology; where's the fire?

These games for me coming to PC has reinvigorated my interest in Sony's games personally. I think I own every single one they've released with the exception of Sackboy (lol shocking).

I'm really looking for some cohesive and less fervor based constructive viewpoints.

Thank you
Alrdy ok with it idc! But I do think ps should have their own pc store.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I'm fine with single player games not being day one. These games are all new to me and I don't care about FOMO.

But I would like to mix up their port selection a bit and port more japanese games instead of western blockbusters. Keep last of us 2 and spiderman 2 in the back burner and release demons souls and SOTC remake instead.

OP
OP
rinzler

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
Release only gaas games on pc and start announcing some new games and release more games on Ps5 in a year than stuff on pc. How things have been since last year is tiring and annoying
But this is one of the problems as I notated in my opening post. What's the actual argument against it because for the most part there seems to be only circular reasoning with no substantive problem.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
It's the same way I feel about paying for a game that is on Gamepass/PS+.

This doesn't make sense. Beating a big RPG on Gamepass ends up being more expensive on the long run. Gamepass only work for short games you can beat on a week or 2.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I hate to think I'm the sucker that paid $70 while someone with a RTX4090 gets to play it for free on day one.

It's the same way I feel about paying for a game that is on Gamepass.
I downloaded days gone / god of war & horizon zero dawn on my pc just to test if they'd work on my shitty specs (I already bought them on all on playstation day one so don't feel bad about it)

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
The damage is done on the brand as a whole, and long term.

Even if games aren't released day and date on PC, consumers will be trained to expect PC ports for every game a certain amount of time after the console release.

The "I don't need a playstation anyway" notion comes to mind long before any desire to even buy the PC port comes to fruition.

As the latest sales estimates have shown, PS5 hardware sales have alteady slowed down, alongside a sharp drop in sales of PC ports - caused by a combination of general disinterest because now the PC ports are a normal expectation, and piracy.

The "sales on PC aren't even that high" point is merely used as an argument against potential short term profit - it's not enough to offset the losses steming from devaluing platform exclusives by downgrading them to timed exclusives.

There is no contradiction.

If this does not stop, it will be in a few years that the PS brand dies as a result.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
This doesn't make sense. Beating a big RPG on Gamepass ends up being more expensive on the long run. Gamepass only work for short games you can beat on a week or 2.
I play one game at a time, even if it would take me 3 months to beat a game on PS+/Gamepass it's probably cheaper.

The only thing cheaper is buying used ans reselling, a great option but one that requires more efforts.

For gamepass specifically, since I don't care about what account I'm using I can buy 3 months of gamepass for less than $5 on these websites that sell keys. That is how I got to play Persona 3 and it felt great to pay Sega the least amount possible.

f this does not stop, it will be in a few years that the PS brand dies as a result.
100% it's precisely what happened to Xbox. PC ports of all game was like poison to their console brand.

I despise denuvo but yeah all playstations pc ports have been cracked day 1
It's going to be an even worse issue Sony ever ends up releasing single player games day on on PC.

It's not just Nintendo games that people are willing to massively pirate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rinzler

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
The damage is done on the brand as a whole, and long term.

Even if games aren't released day and date on PC, consumers will be trained to expect PC ports for every game a certain amount of time after the console release.

The "I don't need a playstation anyway" notion comes to mind long before any desire to even buy the PC port comes to fruition.

As the latest sales estimates have shown, PS5 hardware sales have alteady slowed down, alongside a sharp drop in sales of PC ports - caused by a combination of general disinterest because now the PC ports are a normal expectation, and piracy.

The "sales on PC aren't even that high" point is merely used as an argument against potential short term profit - it's not enough to offset the losses steming from devaluing platform exclusives by downgrading them to timed exclusives.

There is no contradiction.

If this does not stop, it will be in a few years that the PS brand dies as a result.
Sony made exaggerated projections in the first place which I've seen basically everybody agree that yeah they were pretty exaggerated. We're also nearing 4 years into the systems life.

Stemming further from that as I said the PlayStation 5 is basically in lock step with the PlayStation 4 in terms of unit sales life to date. That's not only at a roughly $100 higher margin per unit, but also a $10 higher margin per game sale.

With that said the quote unquote damage to the brand or expectation of platform abandonment as a result of knowing ports will come do not align with any form of statistical reality.

Frankly I find it to be gross hyperbole without receipts.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony made exaggerated projections in the first place which I've seen basically everybody agree that yeah they were pretty exaggerated. We're also nearing 4 years into the systems life.

Stemming further from that as I said the PlayStation 5 is basically in lock step with the PlayStation 4 in terms of unit sales life to date. That's not only at a roughly $100 higher margin per unit, but also a $10 higher margin per game sale.

With that said the quote unquote damage to the brand or expectation of platform abandonment as a result of knowing ports will come do not align with any form of statistical reality.

Frankly I find it to be gross hyperbole without receipts.
They are only exaggerated because PS5 didn't live up to it. The idea that PS5 would be outpacing PS4 by a decent margin in year 4 did not seem unreasonable at all some time ago.

They have greatly devalued the PlayStation brand lately and the vibes haven't been this bad in a long time.

OP
OP
rinzler

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
They are only exaggerated because PS5 didn't live up to it. The idea that PS5 would be outpacing PS4 by a decent margin in year 4 did not seem unreasonable at all some time ago.

They have greatly devalued the PlayStation brand lately and the vibes haven't been this bad in a long time.
25 million was a pretty ridiculous reach, also the world is in a state of inflation for basically all things which affect consumers directly.

We all have less money than we did a few years ago even if we are making more. Trying to pin this to the PC boogeyman is total conjecture.