Which game has the superior combat.....ER/GOW(2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Skill wise GoW learning curve and enemy difficult are harder than Elden Ring.

What Elden Ring do fantastic is the atmosphere and tension of unknown… you are always in alert for each corner and probably will die by surprise in most of them.

After you know what to expect you can avoid and fight back very easy… it is a try and error way. Same apply to bosses… after you try and error tou will realize the partner and it become very easy… the AI is limited to do that partner over and over again.

BTW I’m a 2009 Demon’s Souls fan that had to buy used because it was impossible to find a new copy… and to be fair I never found Souls games hard… they are try and error games.

The sensation of hard come from the design of dying with one hit from any low key enemy in the game no matter how strong, level up and upgraded you are.
I hate how bosses can spam moves on you and kill you with infinite combos on ER. Can't really understand how someone says that making one single mistake in a fight is "fair". That's why I think balance wise ER is shit. Specially the latter gauntlet of bosses. Elden Beast is really trash. They suck for melee characters.
DS3 and BB shits all over this game enemy and encounter design wise.
From needs to do better in the sequel.

• fire
Reactions: Rea
D

Deleted member 223

I hope there is no direct sequel. It's a good standalone game. Will be getting DLC in 2023 according to the leak. That should be that. Of course its commercial success will be making Bandai Namco execs dream of a sequel tho.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I hope there is no direct sequel. It's a good standalone game. Will be getting DLC in 2023 according to the leak. That should be that.

Next onto Bloodborne open-world!

dark souls kai GIF

D

Deleted member 223

Open world but constrained. Since we're talking about Bloodborne... a heavy urbanized city. No big, empty open spaces requiring mounts to explore. That was actually an unwelcomed distraction from the traditional souls experience... for me. One of the many reasons it sits at the bottom of my Soul's list.

Rea

2 Jul 2022
Freya is the Valkyrie Queen… I just called it old to not give spoilers… when you beat the supposed Queen she tells you she is not the queen.

BTW you kinda fight Freya as a supporter to his son Baldur that is the last boss in the game but it pretty clear she recovered his wings and you will fight her in Ragnarok.
Oh Yes! Technically you're right, lol.
I thought we are only talking about the optional bosses. If you're including the (**Old one**) then it makes 10 total.

Reactions: ethomaz

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Why do you say ER is clunky? People that say that are usually ones that prefer button-mashing and forgiveness for being sloppy. If you continue to press attack in GoW, you'll keep the enemy in a locked "hit" state until they die. ER will punish you for thinking you can get by any enemy with simply mashing the attack button. How is that clunky?
Even on normal you are not going to get away with that in GOW. Some people were crying about the difficulty spike in GOW at certain points even on normal. There is no way you are mashing on most of the enemies on GOW, except maybe the basic ones, many enemies have range attacks, many are super fast and the majority of the enemies have evasive moves, so there's no way mashing would work. We are not even talking about the valkyries yet. Tbh, I'd like to see someone try mashing GOW out.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Even on normal you are not going to get away with that in GOW. Some people were crying about the difficulty spike in GOW at certain points even on normal. There is no way you are mashing on most of the enemies on GOW, except maybe the basic ones, many enemies have range attacks, many are super fast and the majority of the enemies have evasive moves, so there's no way mashing would work. We are not even talking about the valkyries yet. Tbh, I'd like to see someone try mashing GOW out.
I just went and tried, that was not long because I died right away!

• Informative
Reactions: thelastword

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Er.
Because skill alone can win you the fight.
Gow is fantastic but there are level gates everywhere and you do no damage and they 1 shot you. Especially the high level enemies from these portals

• Informative
Reactions: mansoor1980

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
please no, after playing Elden Ring from bottom to top, no, better semi open like God of War. Elden Ring open world was generic as hell for me.
I don't completely agree, but I am not married to the idea... I think an open world limited in size filled with genuine exploration and discovery (not too much hand holding please, no @#$%## quest and "secrets" markers) could be the answer... a game where you can go do the "dungeons" or many mission in different order, true puzzles (I hate the buddies in Sony's games when they tell you what to do for the stupidly simple puzzles... love the banter in some cases).

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Er.
Gow is fantastic but there are level gates everywhere and you do no damage and they 1 shot you. Especially the high level enemies from these portals
You can win over all portal enemies with just skill.
And the no damage is because you are using the wrong weapon or element.
There is several ways to break a enemy that has an immunity rune… for example you do no damage but his stun meter is still filling.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Er.
Eh, I beat all of those portal guys while I was way under levelled to do it. It's the same as playing ER from a low level, learn their patterns and don't make a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.