Which game has the superior combat.....ER/GOW(2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
i hope you got platinum with that haha.

Don't you dare say no

Episode 5 Slap GIF by BLoafX

I did not lol, I can't be bothered with the From trophies, I consider it achievement enough to just get through their games.

Reactions: Deleted member 13

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
GoW of course. Elden Ring is just stuck in the past, i played Demon's Souls Remake, and Elden Ring afterwards, i don't see any big jump in anything and it was like 15 years between releases.
it would be more solid comparison GoW vs NioH.

p.s. these games is 4 years apart by the way.
Hmm ... what if I honestly don't see much difference in core gameplay between GoW and games like Double Dragon or Golden Axe?

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
This can't be a real question LOL
I'm not even sure how to
There are pro and cons in both sides.

God of War
+ Fast paced combat
+ Focus in close and range multi target combat
+ More combos and combat moves
+ No input lag
+ Hitbox are good
- Lacks weapon variation
- Lacks enemy variate (it is like 71 types of enemies only)

Elden Ring
+ Slow paced combat
+ Focus in close and range single target combat
+ More weapon variation
+ More enemy variation (I believe it is 130 or something like that)
- There is input lag... more evident in dodge
- Hitboxes are well hit or miss

Overall GoW has a more refined combat system... it gives you more options even having less weapons.
Elden Ring works most of time well but lack the timing and pace of games like Bloodborne and Sekiro... to be fair Sekiro players should really not find Elden Ring combat good I guess.
I'm fairly sure that if ER had GoW's controls I'd beat it pretty easily, just how the escape move happens would save me so many times.

Reactions: PropellerEar

Rea

2 Jul 2022
It is 8 normal and 1 queen I believe... well it is 10 if you count the old queen :D

BTW the accumulate moves and skills makes sense... I mean the last one before the queen was the hardest do me... I thought she was the hardest but others could have found them in other order.
I only fought 9 total, including the queen, where is the 10th one?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I mean you wouldn’t even have GoW 2018 without having the From games as a template to copy from.

… with that said…

Yea god of war has better combat.

Still prefer Bloodborne over both.

• Informative
Reactions: mansoor1980

LED

Twitter Legend
26 Jun 2022
They're so different from each other, different tactics with different philosophies, they can't be compared.

That's like comparing Ninja Gaiden combat VS God of War 1/2/3 combat.

But to me I love both but if I had to choose, I would prefer Elden Ring, also Bloodborne as well, but they are different.

• Informative
Reactions: mansoor1980

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I only fought 9 total, including the queen, where is the 10th one?
Freya is the Valkyrie Queen… I just called it old to not give spoilers… when you beat the supposed Queen she tells you she is not the queen.

BTW you kinda fight Freya as a supporter to his son Baldur that is the last boss in the game but it pretty clear she recovered his wings and you will fight her in Ragnarok.

Reactions: Rea

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
I remember I had just platinumed Bloodborne before moving into God of War and I could not figure out if I was just really bad at the game or if it was really meant to be that hard. The truth is that they are very different types of games and God of War still retained a lot from the older titles in the franchise, that last Valkyrie was really hard.

I feel like God of War could do without the armor upgrades, felt like a really needless system as if they just had to include every system they could think of just because they had the budget for it. It's a bit weird when Kratos is wearing weird armor in cutscenes.

The obvious issue with God of War 2018 was that it could've used a lot more enemy types and different bosses, the ratio of Trolls/Valkyries to other bosses is crazy, not that it got in the way of it being a 10/10 banger.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I remember I had just platinumed Bloodborne before moving into God of War and I could not figure out why I was so bad at the game or why it was so hard. The truth is that they are very different types of games and God of War still retained a lot from the older titles in the franchise.
Funny you say that because I remember starting to play GoW 2018 on hard right after I finished DS3 and it was so hard I dropped to normal. 😅

Reactions: nominedomine

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Funny you say that because I remember starting to play GoW 2018 on hard right after I finished DS3 and it was so hard I dropped to normal. 😅
I dropped it to normal when I fought the last Valkyrie, at that point I was just going for the platinum but I do regret that I've done it.

D

Deleted member 223

God of War by a safe margin. Much more responsive, smoother, in control, much more layered too without feeling layered. Employs all screen aids properly. Good combat design overall.

Elden Ring was unfortunately to me, the worst souls game to date. It became more accessible thanks to open-world exploration, which is good but at the same time the balancing and the addition of npc summons fucked up the combat for me. The barebone basic combat is there, demons souls source - nothing changed more or less except a bit of layering on top like the weapon arts, which is basically an EX attack. It just didn't felt personal like previous soul experiences, and the game forced you to use summons on certain bosses unless you're super 1% leet. The game was literally balanced around the use of npc summons instead of 1-on-1 combat without (as all previous soul games). Horrible! The must fun combat wise in the game was the Final boss Radagon were you could actually get into rhythmic combat with him before the second phase (no summons). No slight on From Software, who proved with Sekiro they can build an addicting, top notch combat system. Sekiro vs. God of War combat is a much fairer fight, and tougher for me.

But hey it's the first big time mainstreams souls - the game is a massive success commercially. A perfect example of the hardcore herding the casuals.

Last edited by a moderator:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

I dropped it to normal when I fought the last Valkyrie, at that point I was just going for the platinum but I do regret that I've done it.
Skill wise GoW learning curve and enemy difficult are harder than Elden Ring.

What Elden Ring do fantastic is the atmosphere and tension of unknown… you are always in alert for each corner and probably will die by surprise in most of them.

After you know what to expect you can avoid and fight back very easy… it is a try and error way. Same apply to bosses… after you try and error you will realize the pattern and it become very easy… the AI is limited to do that partner over and over again.

BTW I’m a 2009 Demon’s Souls fan that had to buy used because it was impossible to find a new copy… and to be fair I never found Souls games hard… they are try and error games.

The sensation of hard come from the design of dying with one hit from any low key enemy in the game no matter how strong, level up and upgraded you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swift_Star

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Skill wise GoW learning curve and enemy difficult are harder than Elden Ring.

What Elden Ring do fantastic is the atmosphere and tension of unknown… you are always in alert for each corner and probably will die by surprise in most of them.

After you know what to expect you can avoid and fight back very easy… it is a try and error way. Same apply to bosses… after you try and error tou will realize the partner and it become very easy… the AI is limited to do that partner over and over again.

BTW I’m a 2009 Demon’s Souls fan that had to buy used because it was impossible to find a new copy… and to be fair I never found Souls games hard… they are try and error games.
I got Demon's Souls in 2009, hated it after a couple of hours, all I could see was jank. Got Dark Souls in 2011 because of the praise, hated it as well. Couldn't believe people were hyping that game so I decided to insist a little bit, now it's one of my all time favorite games and From Software is one of my favorite devs.

All my frustration was coming from the fact that I was playing the souls game as if I was playing any other game when all that the game was asking from me was for me to pay attention. For me it's really easy to get why some people deeply hate From Software games, if you don't get it all the praise seems undeserved.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Dr Bass and ethomaz
Status
Not open for further replies.