Why hasn’t Sony been able to create anything approaching the quality of a Zelda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
The day Nintendo makes something as powerful and beautiful as this
is the day theyll be as good as Sony

Fuck Yeah Reaction GIF

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I think there is not need to be?
Sony has a complete different way than Nintendo. Nintendo's brands like Zelda, Super Mario and Super Smash Bros are unique and you can't copy them really. Maybe Super Smash Bros with kinda Fighting games like Playstation All-Stars but definitely not Zelda and Mario. Every major console maker, pursues a different way. Sony is known for 3rd Person and Japanese games, Nintendo for it's family friendly games and Xbox for it's mainly shooter and WRPGs. We don't need two Nintendo and vice versa.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem and arvfab

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I would take Astrobot, Ratchet anyday over the over-exaggerated Japanese cringe you get from the likes of Zelda. Astrobot and such games are just appetizers to me, Ratchet is way, way mature compared Zelda and the very first game to feel like a playable CGI animation movie.

Zelda games are pretty old in their concept, and I would enjoy something unoriginal like Fenyx with it's sense of humor over a Zelda game. Do I think it's a bad game? No, it just doesn't take us seriously, so I don't take it seriously like most JRPG's.

Yeah if JRPG’s are your thing I totally get it.

I think BOTW brought some new concept for Zelda and tbh I havent played it fully. I tested it and I have alot of issues with it, the dungeons arent the same but there was some cool puzzles, and I hate the weapon break (like really hate it lol ). I will try it again before I play BOTW 2, probably with the 2nd switch.

I like the classic dungeons, puzzles, simple combat and NPC quests. Its not too down your throat with dialogue like alot of JRPG’s, has lots of secrets or not obvious things to do on the side which I enjoy. Both OOT and Majoras Mask are pretty dark in alot of ways. Not exactly Silent hill but not soo kiddy lol

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

balrogboy

21 Jun 2022
Seriously guys, they’ve had 25 years and 127 “Zelda killers” later, they can’t seem to create anything even remotely close. From Dark Cloud to Horizon, it’s been fail after fail. It’s frankly pathetic at this point. Maybe it’s for the best they’re pretty much pulling out of Japan or else they’d be forced to commit ritual suicide.
shit bait

Sonyfan87

22 Jun 2022
sony did this maybe before, but not any more. i don't how many years sony already producing top notch gameplay in their blockbuster games.
producing values and quality of games is second to non in this gaming market. very very few could get close.
We must be playing other games. Gameplay was second to story in GOW, TLOU2, GOT, etc.

If you're just talking about presentation, then yeah I agree.

balrogboy

21 Jun 2022
We must be playing other games. Gameplay was second to story in GOW, TLOU2, GOT, etc.

Well Gameplay is a Focus in GT7, Spiderman, Returnal. and in those games gameplay its better than at least 95% of other games in the same genre.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

i don't know, gameplay in all those games were top notch. games were really not carried by story, like at all, it was suplement in the higher picture. let's say story was one of the three columns, gameplay second..

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Sorry, but no. All these games have top notch story, presentation AND gameplay.

Yeah, people dont realize that sony games are great because they are extremely polished, cinematic games that also have great core gameplay mechanics.

Returnal is probably the best feeling 3rd person shooter. R&C is probably the best feeling platformer-shooter, TLOU probably has the best 3rd person stealth and shooting, god of war is the best beat em’ up, ghost of tsushima the best sword combat (along with sekiro), etc.

I can honestly say the sony games that don’t review well score low because the core mechanics are bad.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I can honestly say the sony games that don’t review well score low because the core mechanics are bad.

I only disagree with this, in part. I have the feeling, that Sony games are always held to higher standards. It doesn't mean that Sony doesn't produce sub-par games sometimes, but Days Gone for example, even with the bugs it had at the beginning, is a much more solid and interesting game than - for example - Far Cry 5.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I only disagree with this, in part. I have the feeling, that Sony games are always held to higher standards. It doesn't mean that Sony doesn't produce sub-par games sometimes, but Days Gone for example, even with the bugs it had at the beginning, is a much more solid and interesting game than - for example - Far Cry 5.
Days Gone was a victim of what I think was a concerted effort to cancel it. It's not a 10/10, but deserved more than a 7/10.

Great story, good gameplay.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem and arvfab

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Nintendo seem quite good at reinventing their IP to fit a different take on the formula, but seem to release very few new IP. I mean I get it, games sell better if they are attached to an established IP, but eventually they are going to get stale.
Nintendos is in a unique position where their IP are their primary brand. What you said is true, their franchises are so malleable because they dont really follow a set continuity or even have voice acting.

You want to make zelda about time travel? Go ahead. You want to make a Kirby game about a post apocalyptic world? Sure. You want to make Mario literally about anything? Coming right up.

A company like sony can’t really make The Last of Us into a cartoony platformer or racing game. Although they are learning how to expand their IP’, while they can’t stretch them as far as Nintendo’s stuff they can bring them to movies, mobile, board games and multiplayer, etc.

Nintendo is like Disney, where they can insert their characters into any particular situation and it will most likely work. Its probably why they haven’t been that quick to adapt their stuff into cartoon shows and movies until now.

They don’t want their characters getting typecast into any particular personality traits or stories. Mario, Kirby, Link, Pokemon trainer, Yoshi, are all heroes, thats their personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.