Will 2024 be the first year PS Studios don't release a new single player game?

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Microsoft is in a similar situation. They’ve had bigger difficulties with internal software production than Sony. More layoffs. More missed targets and forced to keep a dying platform alive and a sub service that loses them money.

Hell, that’s why they bought Bethesda and Activision, to fill software releases since they dropped the ball and destroyed most of their internal devs not working on Forza.

The irony is that Microsoft’s desperation for actual profits have brought them to PlayStation. The timing is incredible as their backlog will do wonders to bolster ps5 catalog. I actually like this result best. MS being third party. It’ll be healthier for their studios… to actually be able to sell their games. Gamepass subsidization is a proven disaster for all game makers. Pro consumer sub my balls. Its nature will destroy studios… and killing studios is anti-gamer. So this pro consumer stance can lick my salty nuts. It leads to death. That’s a shit idea

The only issue is there’s no one to really challenge Sony right now unless Nintendo somehow enters home console business again or Apple finally takes a swing. Sony might cruise this generation to a massive victory and have killed off their competition… by kinda doing nothing.

I'm always amused by people who think Sony has done "nothing".

Generally, these are people who think things happen in a vacuum.

Sony navigated the supply chain issues around PS5 extremely well. They gave up on PS4 production pretty early, which also helped them. They slowed down their cloud-based aspirations and focused on console production, delaying PS5 cloud streaming.

They shifted to cross-gen game development to maximize revenue in what otherwise would have been very down years for them.

They also avoided disastrous moves like listening to a vocal minority online about chasing GamePass and putting their games day 1 on a subscription service.

They ported their games to PC not Day 1, but well into the future.

They invested heavily in a transmedia strategy and created PlayStation Productions, which has paid dividends around The Last of Us, Uncharted, and Gran Turismo.

They've kept up a focus on introducing new consumers to existing major/minor franchises by remaking games which is extremely cost effective and efficient.

Their GaaS strategy has already seen massive success with Helldivers 2.

They bought iSize to probably help developer PSSR and improve their cloud streaming.

They continue to push to make sure the value proposition around PlayStation is the best. VR, Pulse Elite/Explore, Dual Sense Edge, PS Portal. They purchased Audeze to make sure they could release higher quality headphones. They put more effort into 3D audio and a haptic game controller than Microsoft.

They designed the PS5 with an internal replacement SSD which was a significantly more affordable option for the market than a proprietary plug in option.

They designed the PS5 to limit bottlenecks and have largely outperformed the XSX despite being "lower powered"

They bought Bungie, Haven Studios, Firewalk, largely to shore up their GaaS strategy and we're going to see whether these purchases were worth it. They also bought Bluepoint and Housemarque showing that they still have a focus on single player games.

But sure... I guess you can say they've done nothing...

Reactions: Yurinka

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
This topic and replies here baffle me. I'm the Xbox fan here and yet, im fully enjoying my PlayStation 5 in 2024. While I know I will never complete Helldivers 2 solo and have no interest in playing with others, I still bought it digitally for $40, played 6+ hours and know that the game is great and can see why those who are playing it are enjoying the hell out of it but no regrets. Currently, im playing through Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (which I bought digitally for $70) for the last three weeks with just over 100 hours put into the game and on chapter 11. Loving the game for the most part. I already have Granblue Fantasy Relink in my possession from GameFly fully installed and waiting for me once I complete Rebirth. GameFly shipped out Rise of the Ronin which I will play after Granblue. I then have Stellar Blade in late April.

Point being is that it doesn't matter if it comes from Sony's internally owned studios, external partners or third parties, they've given their fan base games to play on PlayStation 5 this year which is what the main goal is of the hardware manufacturer is. Doesn't matter where the games come from or how they do it, as long as you're getting games to play on your PlayStation 5 console, I don't see what the issue is. As for Sony releasing games from their internally owned studios, first, im pretty sure 2015 outside of MLB was a dead year since The Order: 1886, Bloodborne and Until Dawn were from external studios.

Second, potentially have a one year drought from their internally owned studios once every 8 years isn't a big deal whatsoever or honestly, even worth a discussion because it's so rare that it just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Also, as someone who has PlayStation 4 as his #1 all time gaming console, this is with the first half of that generation being dead/non-existent for me with either games that I didn't see as being good, games not for me whatsoever or games that I did play and complete but in no way, shape or form come close to what I have had from Sony this generation in the first three years.

Sony has been killing it this generation when it comes to first party (internal and external) and third party console exclusives. And this is from someone who has PlayStation 5 as his secondary exclusives only gaming console. Ever since the days of Super Nintendo/Sega Genesis in which I had a primary/secondary gaming console, no secondary gaming console has ever come close to what I have already had from Sony in regards to PlayStation 5.

Sony still has almost five more years left in this generation as I do believe that PlayStation 6 will be a November 2028 release. I do believe that Sony will have an amazing Showcase later this year which should shut everyone the hell up. From Tsushima 2 to Bend's new game to Marvel's Venom from Insomniac to Guerrilla's second game to Barlog's new IP to possibly seeing what's next from Housemarque and Bluepoint Games, the second half of the generation like with PlayStation 4 is going to be stacked. I'm expecting as has been my prediction for over two years that Sony's Showcase this year will be for PlayStation 5 what E3 2016 was for PlayStation 4.

Granted, you'll have to wait a year or more to be able to play these games but like with E3 2016, it won't matter because you know greatness is coming yet again even though it's already been here since the launch of PlayStation 5.

Just to be clear, im not insulting anyone here or anything like that. I just see all of this as hilarious in that there's PlayStation fans who are somehow unhappy or disappointed or whatever the case may be to where im just shaking my head in disbelief. If anyone here should be pissed off, it should be ME as an Xbox fan but it's Microsoft and they're a lost cause when it comes to console gaming and their Xbox brand so why bother? LMAO

Anyway, time to get back to playing a third party console exclusive in Final Fantasy VII Rebirth on my PlayStation 5 which I can't play on my Xbox Series X or anywhere else for that matter. 😂

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
This topic and replies here baffle me. I'm the Xbox fan here and yet, im fully enjoying my PlayStation 5 in 2024. While I know I will never complete Helldivers 2 solo and have no interest in playing with others, I still bought it digitally for $40, played 6+ hours and know that the game is great and can see why those who are playing it are enjoying the hell out of it but no regrets. Currently, im playing through Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (which I bought digitally for $70) for the last three weeks with just over 100 hours put into the game and on chapter 11. Loving the game for the most part. I already have Granblue Fantasy Relink in my possession from GameFly fully installed and waiting for me once I complete Rebirth. GameFly shipped out Rise of the Ronin which I will play after Granblue. I then have Stellar Blade in late April.

Point being is that it doesn't matter if it comes from Sony's internally owned studios, external partners or third parties, they've given their fan base games to play on PlayStation 5 this year which is what the main goal is of the hardware manufacturer is. Doesn't matter where the games come from or how they do it, as long as you're getting games to play on your PlayStation 5 console, I don't see what the issue is. As for Sony releasing games from their internally owned studios, first, im pretty sure 2015 outside of MLB was a dead year since The Order: 1886, Bloodborne and Until Dawn were from external studios.

Second, potentially have a one year drought from their internally owned studios once every 8 years isn't a big deal whatsoever or honestly, even worth a discussion because it's so rare that it just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Also, as someone who has PlayStation 4 as his #1 all time gaming console, this is with the first half of that generation being dead/non-existent for me with either games that I didn't see as being good, games not for me whatsoever or games that I did play and complete but in no way, shape or form come close to what I have had from Sony this generation in the first three years.

Sony has been killing it this generation when it comes to first party (internal and external) and third party console exclusives. And this is from someone who has PlayStation 5 as his secondary exclusives only gaming console. Ever since the days of Super Nintendo/Sega Genesis in which I had a primary/secondary gaming console, no secondary gaming console has ever come close to what I have already had from Sony in regards to PlayStation 5.

Sony still has almost five more years left in this generation as I do believe that PlayStation 6 will be a November 2028 release. I do believe that Sony will have an amazing Showcase later this year which should shut everyone the hell up. From Tsushima 2 to Bend's new game to Marvel's Venom from Insomniac to Guerrilla's second game to Barlog's new IP to possibly seeing what's next from Housemarque and Bluepoint Games, the second half of the generation like with PlayStation 4 is going to be stacked. I'm expecting as has been my prediction for over two years that Sony's Showcase this year will be for PlayStation 5 what E3 2016 was for PlayStation 4.

Granted, you'll have to wait a year or more to be able to play these games but like with E3 2016, it won't matter because you know greatness is coming yet again even though it's already been here since the launch of PlayStation 5.

Just to be clear, im not insulting anyone here or anything like that. I just see all of this as hilarious in that there's PlayStation fans who are somehow unhappy or disappointed or whatever the case may be to where im just shaking my head in disbelief. If anyone here should be pissed off, it should be ME as an Xbox fan but it's Microsoft and they're a lost cause when it comes to console gaming and their Xbox brand so why bother? LMAO

Anyway, time to get back to playing a third party console exclusive in Final Fantasy VII Rebirth on my PlayStation 5 which I can't play on my Xbox Series X or anywhere else for that matter. 😂

Only tribalists care where a game came from. The vast majority of consumers have no idea who publishes or develops most games.

The funniest part is if Sony buys ballistic moon, that makes Until Dawn first party and its a single player game. Does that make a difference? Or no because it's a remake? Because out of 120 million PS4s, I don't think more than 6 million copies sold. So this is a new game for most, but again its about tribalism.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I enjoyed GOWR to but it felt to long & dragged in the middle the ending was rushed should’ve definitely been a trilogy idk why they didn’t they could’ve made it a trilogy.
Cory Barlog,the man responsible for GOW 2018. refused to make this into a trilogy. While he wasn't in charge of Ragnarok, he made the demand that the story needs to wrap up in GOWR.

His reason for this? He didn't want fans to wait for another 5 years to see the ending of the story.

It's right there. Starts at 15:10.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Eh I will take rise of ronin, ff7 rebirth, helldivers 2 type external games than whatever Druckmann and his soy latte drinking group make. Sadly the garbage Naughty Dog 2 movie type game making has percolated into the other studios. I have more hopes for china hero project games than whatever comes out of sony first party western studios except SSM.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
😂😂😂 thats something Yurinka would say 🤣
Well, thanks to Jimbo you'll get in 2024 not only at least a dozen Sony first party releases, the AAA and indie 3rd party exclusives, the China & India Hero stuff. But also minimum 4 MS games on PS5 during this year. xDD

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Eh I will take rise of ronin, ff7 rebirth, helldivers 2 type external games than whatever Druckmann and his soy latte drinking group make. Sadly the garbage Naughty Dog 2 movie type game making has percolated into the other studios. I have more hopes for china hero project games than whatever comes out of sony first party western studios except SSM.
U mad bro?