Will Sony's PC Push Hurt their Console Business in the Mid to Longterm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Fairs enough, my bad, I thought it was you who had said it.

Two years for what it probably Sony best selling series right now. Pretty much two years after they started with the PC ports to begging with. From never to two years in about two years.

A few years ago who would've believed God of War, Spider-Man, Uncharted, Horizon, The Last of Us would all be getting released on PC? What else needs to happen for you guys to believe this is leaning in the direction of more PC ports and smaller windows?
Some are in the acceptance phase, some are still in denial. It takes time to cope.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
That's kind of disingenuous though don't you think? Who cares what the average GPU is...

The point is the GPU I have launched days before these consoles, is doubly as powerful and has as much VRAM all to itself as these systems do in their entirety.

So the "PC's have to catch up" thing is total BS. These consoles are outdated from inception.
How much did you pay for it? What is the GPU? What games are you playing on this powerful PC? How much better do they actually look?

That is just you anyway, the average matters because it's closer to what most people will have and I don't see nothing disingenuous bringing it up at all.

There is nothing outdated about the PS5 or the Series X unless you have absolutely no common sense and have absolutely stupid expectation of what you can expect from a $400~$500 console. We are almost two years from release and they are still far from outdated.

Last edited:

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
How much did you pay for it, what is the GPU? What games are you playing on this powerful PC? How much better do they actually look?

That is just you, the average matter because it's close to what most people will have.
$1,200, 6900 XT Nitro+, I use it primarily for VR and the occasional AAA game. Given the framerate, aspect ratio, refresh rate and higher settings; markedly better.

"That's just you" is just console defense. Just because it's not feasible for most people has nothing to do with consoles being dumped on prior to their releases.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Swolf712

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
$1,200, 6900 XT Nitro+, I use it primarily for VR and the occasional AAA game. Given the framerate, aspect ratio, refresh rate and higher settings; markedly better.

"That's just you" is just console defense. Just because it's not feasible for most people has nothing to do with consoles being dumped on prior to their releases.
Lmao, what joke, you paid just $1200 just for your GPU and you want to feel good by putting down a $400~$500 console? Grow up man.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Who is putting them down? Specifications, dem the brakes my guy.
You are saying a $500 console is outdated because you could buy a PC that had a $1200 GPU when those consoles got released.

The GPU you bought shares pretty much the same architecture as the GPU on the consoles.

But that is not enough, you also take issue when people bring up the fact that that spec is not representative of the PC market.

As I type this I realized that replying to you isn't worth anyone's time.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
You are saying a $500 console is outdated because you could buy a PC that had a $1200 GPU when those consoles got released.

The GPU you bought shares pretty much the same architecture as the GPU on the consoles.

But that is not enough, you also take issue when people bring up the fact that that spec is not representative of the PC market.
I'm saying it's outdated because it's performatively stricken down by a factor of more than 2x. The days of consoles leading the charge and PC playing catchup e.g. the Xbox 360 are long behind us.

Same architecture sure but that's not the point. It's disingenuous to discount the peak of what is available and instead focus on the 'average' in order to make it appear as if PC isn't already well beyond.

A Bugatti Chiron isn't representative of the car market, however it exists, it's in public hands and it shits on everything.

Bar to entry and cost are irrelevant.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
All Imma say is that right now a $400 console is playing games at 60fps with Raytracing while GPUs that cost almost twice as much or more still struggle with it.
Just Saying The Kid Mero GIF by Desus & Mero

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
PC's user numbers are inflated due to 3rd world countries and emerging markets having no choice. these guys are playing on potato PCs and the games they play are all sub-games that console users don't care for. take a look at the steam top 10. aside from a few of the console pity ports surfacing some time, it's usually the same old games.

antiquated and defunct counterstrike game from decades ago, little RTS point and click games, and freeware.

Screen-Shot-2022-07-08-at-3-05-36.png

christ. Break out the platform shoes fellas, we've entered a time warp.:ROFLMAO:

The glorious Mustard race! 🌭
That’s harsh but it’s actually plausible.
Cs go numbers are certainly kids in parents work dell laptops.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
TLOU1 is a 10 year old game at heart though. we'll see. i agree that they're moving in a direction i don't like, but this thread exists--and is 10 pages long--precisely because A LOT of people don't like it either.

We'll see where it goes, but i assure you it isn't good for consoles.

And, Its still anti-consumer at the end of the day, because these companies just use PC to increase profits, but then doll it all up with the 'BU BU MORE PEOPLE GET TO PLAY DURRR THIS IS SO GREAT WE ALL LUV GAMING YAY LETS ALL PLAYY TOGETHA" bullshit.

it's disingenious, it's lying, and its wrong. they know its bullshit and devalues the console, they just don't care because of money. its time to start calling them out. Yes PC is devaluing console, everyone knows it. Look at Xbox's sorry state right now, there's all the proof you need. if you love playstation then you don't want to see it bastardized, belittled, and humiliated like Xbox has been at the hands of PC.

I won't apologize for that. PC ports are a mistake
I think I love you!
The stuff you say would be considered super controversial elsewhere. The fact that we have normal conversation about this is so nice.
I generally agree with you. I think it’s a mistake for new games and it ruined Xbox.
The “more games for everyone… we all love gaming “ is bs.
At the same time, because of exclusivity, my favourite the darkness is stuck on 360. Same with gears 2 and 3. Of course I have my 360 ready and can just play them. I have the discs and don’t need to relay on digital services.
I have tons of steam games but I am starting to feel reluctant spending money there instead of physical games. That said, it’s 98% pointless as steam is safe.
And your other argument about games like dota2 leading the charts… yeah I also agree

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I'm saying it's outdated because it's performatively stricken down by a factor of more than 2x. The days of consoles leading the charge and PC playing catchup e.g. the Xbox 360 are long behind us.

Same architecture sure but that's not the point. It's disingenuous to discount the peak of what is available and instead focus on the 'average' in order to make it appear as if PC isn't already well beyond.

A Bugatti Chiron isn't representative of the car market, however it exists, it's in public hands and it shits on everything.

Bar to entry and cost are irrelevant.
These days are not behind us. These new consoles are as powerful compared to pcs now or even more than 360 was.
The fact of high end north 1000usd gpu existing does not change that. It’sa niche product not developed for.
I also have 3080 which is faster than ps5 but it’s not rendering really anything more and it’s a niche product too.

I am just trying to say that existence of super cars does not invalidate normal cars. In fact both will get you to your destination just as fast lol. A bit stupid comparison but I take it

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
As an interesting tangent to this topic, was anyone else surprised to learn that a lot of games historically seen as PlayStation exclusives actually did have PC ports?

Like I had no idea that Final Fantasy VII had a PC port all the way back in 1998 until I saw someone's boxed copy.
Yes, my roommate played FF VII on PC with his 3dfxcard! But for some reason we still preferred it in its original form... this is where we 100%ed it.

A lot of people didn't know about these things because back then PC was the 'out of mainstream' platform if you know what I mean. PC hasn't been a mainstream thing really until the 2010's rolled around.
PC (Maybe "home computer" is more appropriate) gaming has always been big, but the separation between it and consoles was much more pronounced, I recall having a friend who would swear by his C64 back in the NES days!

Big titles like Diablo, Doom, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, most point and click adventure games, strategy games, sim games, etc. from the 90s all are from PC and often remained PC only. Back in high school I had friends who passed floppy disks of the latest games around, while others fought tooth and nails in the 16-bit wars... Star-fox was only inpressive until you saw X-Wing vs Tie Fighters on your friend's 486 with gouraud shading in its VGA glory,

I'm not sure how many copies of Doom were sold, but John Carmack had a Ferrari, countless pulishers and studios were born by making 8 and 16 bit computer games (c64, speccy, amiga, ST, Apple II, etc.) before "PC".

Reactions: nominedomine

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
As an interesting tangent to this topic, was anyone else surprised to learn that a lot of games historically seen as PlayStation exclusives actually did have PC ports?

Like I had no idea that Final Fantasy VII had a PC port all the way back in 1998 until I saw someone's boxed copy.
I played MGS on PC back in the day, makes sense if you think that Kojima started making games for the MSX and that Square was all about leveraging the CD (something the PC also had).

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Well, I have stopped getting all but the most essential 1st party games too and I used to buy all of them. I also dont buy 3rd party day 1 anymore due to the prices being 20 euro more than PC...

i.e. F12022 is 80 euro on PS5 and 60 euro on steam new. Same game.

Sometimes you have to draw a line even if others don't.

Even with as much of a PS fan as I am.
I own an xbsx because of Jim Ryan.
I own GP because of 3 years at £1.
I mostly use it for retroarch ps1/ps2.
If all the BC games I want would just come to PS+, especially my digital ps3-era ps1/ps2 purchases, then I'd have even less reason for one because I hate everything about XB except it's BC support.

Without compelling BC and Exclusives, I dont need your box. Push me onto PC and im not paying into your ecosystem any more. I've done it, several times over, and you dont value your customers.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Probably not if they keep the release dates between the ps5 and pc how they are now. I imagine most people are like me and not into waiting a year + to play a game when it's already available elsewhere.

Warnen

15 Jul 2022
No consoles will always have a space simply because they are easier to deal with. PC gaming is a bigger commitment, and not even talking the money part. You gotta be willing to tweak games even on high end hardware.

Consoles are just so much easier to deal with, even if Sony went day and date with pc release they would only lose a fraction of sales to PC. Only the hard core need the best experience for the game, the console will be more then enough for most people.

Yeah now is a weird time but hopefully soon you will be able to walk into a store and get a PS5

Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
No consoles will always have a space simply because they are easier to deal with. PC gaming is a bigger commitment, and not even talking the money part. You gotta be willing to tweak games even on high end hardware.

Consoles are just so much easier to deal with, even if Sony went day and date with pc release they would only lose a fraction of sales to PC. Only the hard core need the best experience for the game, the console will be more then enough for most people.

Yeah now is a weird time but hopefully soon you will be able to walk into a store and get a PS5

I just hope Sony start making a premium model of their console every gen.... one with some metal and glass in the finish and some insane specs for about 1K.

Warnen

15 Jul 2022
I just hope Sony start making a premium model of their console every gen.... one with some metal and glass in the finish and some insane specs for about 1K.

They making gaming pc monitors maybe they will make there own gaming pc soon…

Status
Not open for further replies.