Will Sony's PC Push Hurt their Console Business in the Mid to Longterm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
They making gaming pc monitors maybe they will make there own gaming pc soon…

Would be very weird... since they sold off their Laptop business. But then they spun off SOE and then decided to get back into PC games again....

I just want a really premium console though.

Warnen

15 Jul 2022
Would be very weird... since they sold off their Laptop business. But then they spun off SOE and then decided to get back into PC games again....

I just want a really premium console though.

Man I used to love Vaio. I remember having a 11incher with an external 3rd card and playing the 1st Star Wars mmo on it…

They made quality laptops.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
here's the glorious mustard race's (🌭 ) top 10 highest rated games for 2022.

FXvr-Du-WVs-AUk-Ypm.jpg

it's not a secret why they beg so hard. with microsoft not releasing anything all year they've had nothing to play.

They need a new host to leech off of.

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
It won’t affect console sales at all and eventually the games will launch day one, because then Sony can charge $70 on PC, too.

The overlap of casual console users and PC players is tiny. Offering your games to all just gives you more revenue which means more games.

I know PS guys are almost obligated to hate seeing Sony games come to PC after they spent years shitting on Xbox for it, but you guys are supposedly all about the software, this should mean better and more software. Isn’t that worth more than list wars and whatever special feeling you get because your game is temporarily exclusive?

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
It won’t affect console sales at all and eventually the games will launch day one, because then Sony can charge $70 on PC, too.

The overlap of casual console users and PC players is tiny. Offering your games to all just gives you more revenue which means more games.

I know PS guys are almost obligated to hate seeing Sony games come to PC after they spent years shitting on Xbox for it, but you guys are supposedly all about the software, this should mean better and more software. Isn’t that worth more than list wars and whatever special feeling you get because your game is temporarily exclusive?
This is exactly how I feel. Even if every future Sony game is day and date on pc. All Sony has to do is convince 100 million to 150 million people who aren't pc gamers to pick up their system and worry about getting people who are pc only spending money on their games. This whole pc backlash nonsense only started when Jim Ryan took over despite sony having pc ports back in 2017 and even Sony music published some games on the switch eShop but only when talks of the new generation started ramping up people decided to use it as console warring. Also this whole playstation fans are mad about pc ports has been overstated, if there was a 116 million playstation 4 owners complaining about pc ports this shit would of never stopped trending since horizon zero dawns pc release!

Last edited:

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

That's the same BS xbox owners used to spew and it didn't turn out to be true, just the opposite. the inclusion of PC, especially day and date releases, completely sank the quality of xbox's games.

it creates nothing but headaches for developers and lowers game quality for console owners, and everyone really, as a result.

the only reason sony's games haven't been compromised is because they're ported by nixxes (or other studios) and don't bog down the main console version, by coming years late.

PC is holding back Xbox's first party. That's a fact. Halo Infinite was destroyed by being on PC.

Having their devs make PC exclusives in the first place, well that's a different story, and yet another one of MS's colossal dumb mistakes.

either way PC is killing Xbox's momentum, in multiple ways.

Reactions: Savant
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Not really, before the game quality etc was all to attract people to thePlayStation console. Now the reason has changed under Jim Ryan...now it is straight profit... which Sony already makes a lot of through MTX and 3rd party sales..... but this means they will monetize as much as possible, turn everything they can into a GAAS or split games into DLC's or smaller games at fulll price just to make a buck.

The reason behind it is the downfall to the entire thing. The principles and the traditional model are being ignored after decades of working. For what? 800k sales?

Reactions: Savant

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Imo they should start going their own storefront route. They will have enough content for it eventually, and aren't in a situation where they need steam at all.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Not really, before the game quality etc was all to attract people to thePlayStation console. Now the reason has changed under Jim Ryan...now it is straight profit... which Sony already makes a lot of through MTX and 3rd party sales..... but this means they will monetize as much as possible, turn everything they can into a GAAS or split games into DLC's or smaller games at fulll price just to make a buck.

The reason behind it is the downfall to the entire thing. The principles and the traditional model are being ignored after decades of working. For what? 800k sales?
The problem with this thinking is even before Jim Ryan took over PlayStation there were already PC Ports as far back as 2016/2017 (smaller games and not their big budget ones but PC ports have been a thing for a while now with PlayStation.), and even in the PS3/PSP/Early Vita era they started publishing "minis" games on Android. So this whole Jim Ryan being the reason for PlayStation deciding to port games to PC is kinda flawed unless we find proof he was the one who was responsible for what I just mentioned earlier. Also did you know Sony music has been publishing games on the Nintendo eShop since 2018 I Think.

I think what Sony is doing is similar to what Nintendo is doing back in 2016 where they made Mario Run and Animal Crossing on mobile to present a bunch of new eyes to their IP so when Mario Odyssey comes out or Animal Cross on Switch People will want to check out the big budget projects they made. So release Horizon around the same time they announce forbidden west on PC to hype up the sequel, God of War gets a PC port the same year we have a a sequel coming out. Spider man games are coming to PC a year before Spider-Man 2 comes out (Assuming no delay happens.) Sure death stranding and days gone don't really line up with that but I think what Sony is doing is super strategic in increasing their playerbase as big as possible.

Also this elephant in the room, just like every other generation the budget increases in making these big games (and even smaller games.) and with a shortage of PS5's going on right now Sony's customer base is kinda limited right now. If porting old games to a audience of people who were never going to buy a PlayStation helps them fund their 9th gen games and push things graphically like they did in the past two generation I think its a smart move right now to port some games here and there. Anyway even if every game one day is day and date with PC as long as PS5's or maybe PS6's at that point are still selling it doesn't really matter. I think as long as Sony can sell 100-150 million PlayStation's every generation it doesn't really matter and I think people overestimate how many people would not buy a PlayStation just cause their games are on PC. I have a pretty good PC but I still buy Sony Hardware because I just don't like dealing with the hiccups you get from PC gaming!

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
I could write a PhD dissertation on this topic. But Sony ain't paying me for it so fuck em.

Long term - absolutely. And I believe we'll start to begin seeing the effects with the PS6. Affordability will continue to play a huge role in viability - that is to lessen the impact of consumer flight or to enhance it.

Best approach out of all the bad options is their own PC PS storefront, more akin to a perfect substitute to Steam/Epic (that is, full third party library support), rather than to something like Origins. I don't see any indication Sony is earmarking for this.

Either way, MS takes the W, long term.

The only thing the current strategy does is solidify the grip of Steam/Epic on consumers of premium games on the PC platform (that is, the most desirable gaming consumer of all by all of these companies). The gain for Sony is a marginal boost to their revenue and profit that, in their internal argument, softens pressure on managing budgets properly, and most importantly for upper management, increases shareholder value. Are they looking at the psychological impact of their moves long term on their consumer base - absolutely not, at least not in the correct terms. The idea that PC folk will somehow switch to PS platforms after getting a "taste" is some of the dumbest things I've ever heard. No, what they'll do is see that their first choice platform gets the games they want, and stay happy with that choice. Specially in the age of platform libraries that go beyond hardware generations. Once a consumer is hooked, it's hard to get the switch. You don't make the FOMO dilema harder for consumers on PC by releasing your games there, you make that dilemma easier to bare (to the benefit of your competitors). MS laughs all the way to the bank since the viability and long term health of Windows as an operating system platform is their #1 priority. They're terrified of an Apple level flight with the advent of mobile phones.

This is chess, not checkers. So when you see your competition (Sony) make a mistake, you don't interrupt them, to the contrary, you loud them for it with fireworks - as all players with a vested interest in the Windows PC platform have done.

Not necessarily my problem per say except I've invested heavily on the PS platform, and I can read the tea leaves.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022

To be fair I never backed XB doing it either before they shifted more towards GP regardless.

Consoles are a big investment for what should be a hobby. Take away the most advantageous reason for them, the exclusive games, and what's the point?

I'll go to PC if pushed, but then im not prepared to play fair back. I will be chopping games up with fan mods and fixes, and paying as little money as possible for the hassel and troubleshooting involved.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
The thing about having a big tent, as playstation nation is... is that the idiot pile becomes bigger too.

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
That's the same BS xbox owners used to spew and it didn't turn out to be true, just the opposite. the inclusion of PC, especially day and date releases, completely sank the quality of xbox's games.
Last year, Microsoft won Metacritic's publisher of the year award with the highest score in the history of the award. Try again :sleep:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I fail to see PC threatening to console gaming in any form. We’ve seen this debate for 30 years now as console gaming and gaming as a whole continues to grow. I mean, we’re seeing some difficulties now but this may also stretch into another 8-10 year gen due to global economic factors.

It’s sister to the console market.

I applaud Sony’s current direction and expansion. They’re looking to foster growth and have put software ahead of their hardware. And they may just now be in the position to have their pedigree and software be their focus for their brand.

It’s taken a very long time for Sony to finally have the pedigree and IP catalog to even begin to compete with Nintendo’s. It’s super impressive when even something like Tsushima sells close to 10 million… which otherwise would be seen as a niche appeal title if Sony’s name wasn’t stamped on it.

Now we just need Nintendo to do this. Wish they would sell a switch emulator for consoles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.