Will Sony's PC Push Hurt their Console Business in the Mid to Longterm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
So what are you going to do? Not buy PlayStation anymore because their games are releasing on PC?

Or are you going to buy them anyway like Xbox people did?

The ship has long sailed, PS games on PC day one is only a matter of time (even if it ends up being just the GaaS) and the market won't react poorly to it because we already saw what happens with the Xbox. The truth it most people that play on consoles don't care about PC and to Sony a PC gamer that just buy their consoles for exclusive is hardly who they are trying to attract to their platform. The people that are most bothered by this are hard core PlayStation fans the last people that will abandon the platform just because of this.

If you are ok playing on PC and you are fine with possibly having to waiting for Sony and other console only games to make their way to PC get a PC. If you prefer to play on console get a PlayStation.

Yet there is still pretty much the same amount of people that are still buying the Xbox Series consoles when compared to the Xbox One, if not more. That is regardless of their terrible output of games.

To Sony is a simple calculation does the money they get out of PC sales offset the money they lose because some PC players were buying their console just to play exclusives?
the xbox one started off ok well sales wise before it fell behind as the generation went on. And if people are still buying xboxes despite the drought and empty promises, all that tells me is that that isnt a good thing.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
i keep hearing that PS will launch day and date on PC but it still hasn't happened. we'll see when it does.

I'll keep being vocal and letting everyone know that it isn't right and it isn't fair. PC isn't just going to walk away with everyones games for free, nope. Won't stand for it.

I, and many others will let these companies know. you pull this anti-consumer bullshit and we will leave. we can all stop this if we actually speak up. Nobody owes PC or PC gamers anything.
We moved on from games never releasing on PC to games being announced for the first time as PS5 and PC games (TLoU Part I) all in a span of what? Little more than 2 years?

If you think about it, the ports they are releasing now of games that were not made with PC in mind are the hardest part for Sony, most of their studios work with proprietary engines and had no experience releasing games on PC, now that isn't the case anymore.

Their commitment to PC even looks like it's a company wide strategy as Sony is also investing in e-sports, lunching new line of PC gaming products, promising more GaaS, etc.

Last edited:

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
We moved on from games never releasing on PC to game being announced for the first time as PS5 and PC games (TLoU Part I) all in a span of what? Little more than 2 years?

If you think about it the ports they are releasing now of games that were not made with PC in mind are the hardest part for Sony, most of their studios work with proprietary engines and had no experience releasing games on PC, now that isn't the case anymore.
TLOU1 is a 10 year old game at heart though. we'll see. i agree that they're moving in a direction i don't like, but this thread exists--and is 10 pages long--precisely because A LOT of people don't like it either.

We'll see where it goes, but i assure you it isn't good for consoles.

And, Its still anti-consumer at the end of the day, because these companies just use PC to increase profits, but then doll it all up with the 'BU BU MORE PEOPLE GET TO PLAY DURRR THIS IS SO GREAT WE ALL LUV GAMING YAY LETS ALL PLAYY TOGETHA" bullshit.

it's disingenious, it's lying, and its wrong. they know its bullshit and devalues the console, they just don't care because of money. its time to start calling them out. Yes PC is devaluing console, everyone knows it. Look at Xbox's sorry state right now, there's all the proof you need. if you love playstation then you don't want to see it bastardized, belittled, and humiliated like Xbox has been at the hands of PC.

I won't apologize for that. PC ports are a mistake

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: rofif and Umar

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
TLOU1 is a 10 year old game at heart though. we'll see. i agree that they're moving in a direction i don't like, but this thread exists--and is 10 pages long--precisely because A LOT of people don't like it either.

We'll see where it goes, but i assure you it isn't good for consoles.

And, Its still anti-consumer at the end of the day, because these companies just use PC to increase profits, but then doll it all up with the 'BU BU MORE PEOPLE GET TO PLAY DURRR THIS IS SO GREAT WE ALL LUV GAMING YAY LETS ALL PLAYY TOGETHA" bullshit.

it's disingenious, it's lying, and its wrong. they know its bullshit and devalues the console, they just don't care because of money. its time to start calling them out. Yes PC is devaluing console, everyone knows it. Look at Xbox's sorry state right now, there's all the proof you need. if you love playstation then you don't want to see it bastardized, belittled, and humiliated like Xbox has been at the hands of PC.

I won't apologize for that. PC ports are a mistake
TLoU Part I is a $70 game. If you want to be in denial that is fine, day one is happening sooner or later, the changes are happening way too fast, Sony is becoming more comfortable with it and the windows are getting smaller.

The truth is that it doesn't matter if you don't like, Sony doesn't care at all, there is not nearly enough people like you for them to care. I also just get this feeling you are not going to stop playing on PlayStation and move to Xbox or PC, so what exactly are they losing here?

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
TLoU Part I is a $70 game. If you want to be in denial that is fine, day one is happening sooner or later, the changes are happening way too fast, Sony is becoming more comfortable with it and the windows are getting smaller.

The truth is that it doesn't matter if you don't like, Sony doesn't care at all, there is not nearly enough people like you for them to care. I also just get this feeling you are not going to stop playing on PlayStation and move to Xbox or PC, so what exactly are they losing here?
How has it gotten smaller? the shortest its been so far is 2 years. Tlou remake is still an old game that's been out since 2013 same thing with the uncharted games 5 and 6 year old games

Reactions: rofif

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

I won't play on a platform that doesn't have exclusives, period.

and still, 'In Development for PC' means nothing, until it's out. I'll be taking note of the date, but it isn't day 1 and that alone makes me happy.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
I won't play on a platform that doesn't have exclusives, period.

and still, 'In Development for PC' means nothing, until it's out. I'll be taking note of the date, but it isn't day 1 and that alone makes me happy.
Where are you going to play then? Just on the Switch? A console that can be emulated on PC?

How has it gotten smaller? the shortest its been so far is 2 years. Tlou remake is still an old game that's been out since 2013 same thing with the uncharted games 5 and 6 year old games
How is it an old game if it's releasing for $70 on PS5 in September? Was Demon's Souls an old game when it launched with the PS5? The windows got smaller, from never to whatever it is now. Is Miles Morales old as well? Come on.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
if every game comes to PC i'll stop playing games. I won't be ripped off with no exclusives. Never happening.
Damn man, that makes absolutely no sense and you think Sony should adjust their strategy around you? Because you got mad their games are getting ported to PC? My money is on you not stopping and instead just getting over it. Why does it matter so much to you that it's getting released on PC?

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Damn man, that makes absolutely no sense and you think Sony should adjust their strategy to you? Because you got mad their games are getting ported to PC? My money is on you not stopping and instead just getting over it.

what doesn't make sense to you? I'm not paying ~$500 for a proprietary box that has no exclusive software?

is that really that absurd to you?

Sounds like common sense to me.

Reactions: ksdixon and rofif
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Damn man, that makes absolutely no sense and you think Sony should adjust their strategy to you? Because you got mad their games are getting ported to PC? My money is on you not stopping and instead just getting over it.

Well, I have stopped getting all but the most essential 1st party games too and I used to buy all of them. I also dont buy 3rd party day 1 anymore due to the prices being 20 euro more than PC...

i.e. F12022 is 80 euro on PS5 and 60 euro on steam new. Same game.

Sometimes you have to draw a line even if others don't.

Even with as much of a PS fan as I am.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
Where are you going to play then? Just on the Switch? A console that can be emulated on PC?

How is it an old game if it's releasing for $70 on PS5 in September? Was Demon's Souls an old game when it launched with the PS5? The windows got smaller, from never to whatever it is now. Is Miles Morales old as well? Come on.
Yes Demon souls remake was still technically an old game and that was $70 as well, not sure why you're so suprised with re releases of old games being full price when its happened before. And Miles will be 2 years old by the time its out on pc as I said two years is the shortest its been so far. And by doing that and putting it on ps plus they've handicapped the sales of miles morales on Ps5 since people dont need to buy the game on ps5 to play it and soon wont need a ps4/ps5 to play it either

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
miles Morales IS old. almost 3 years old actually.
Thursday November 12, 2020 was 1 years, 7 months, 26 days ago

Wake up.

Well, I have stopped getting all but the most essential 1st party games too and I used to buy all of them. I also dont buy 3rd party day 1 anymore due to the prices being 20 euro more than PC...

i.e. F12022 is 80 euro on PS5 and 60 euro on steam new. Same game.

Sometimes you have to draw a line even if others don't.

Even with as much of a PS fan as I am.
Fair enough. I do think they are slowly devaluing their products and going the way of MS in removing the incentive for people to buy their games.

The thing is almost every other publisher with the exception of Nintendo is already doing that and Sony is doing that slower than most other ones and still investing in AAA single player games more than any other publisher.

My only worry is that I already see the signs that things are changing but I'll enjoy their games as long as they are good and cater to me. But yea, I won't go out of my way to support any dev, if I feel like at some point I should just wait for their games to show up on PS+ that's what I'll do. As it is I'm still getting many of them on release even if I know I could wait a few months for discounts or for it to show up on PS+.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: rofif and Bryank75

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
You said it's almost 3 years old already and I just proved it is not.

We don't need to argue about it, lets just see what happens.
Other person said it was 3 years old. I said by the time it comes out it will be 2 years old

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: nominedomine

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Other person said it was 3 years old. I said by the time it comes out it will be 2 years old
Fairs enough, my bad, I thought it was you who had said it.

Two years for what is probably Sony best selling series right now. Pretty much two years after they started with the PC ports to begging with. From never to two years in about two years.

A few years ago who would've believed God of War, Spider-Man, Uncharted, Horizon, The Last of Us would all be getting released on PC? What else needs to happen for you guys to believe this is leaning in the direction of more PC ports and smaller windows?

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: DynamiteCop

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
I don't agree with you trying to frame PC games as lesser games, they are just going for completely different things. Competitive gaming on console is nothing compared to what it is on PC. Dota2 and CS are great at what they are trying to do, there is nothing like that on consoles.

They are different demographics and PC still has a massive piracy problem that almost exclusively affects single player games. It's not a coincidence that just as Sony started to invest on PC they also decided that they need to invest a lot more on GaaS. The fact that PC gaming consolidated around multiplayer is not a coincidence, it's the natural answer to rampant piracy.

But yea, the idea of master race is completely unrealistic, it takes years and years for the average dedicated GPU being used to be better than the current gen of consoles. Not to mention that the PC building culture doesn't direct correlate with people actually buying and playing games.

How?
That's kind of disingenuous though don't you think? Who cares what the average GPU is...

The point is the GPU I have launched days before these consoles, is doubly as powerful and has as much VRAM all to itself as these systems do in their entirety.

So the "PC's have to catch up" thing is total BS. These consoles are outdated from inception.

Status
Not open for further replies.