Will Sony's PC Push Hurt their Console Business in the Mid to Longterm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
That's also an AMD technology, not a Sony one. It's Smart Shift. The GPUs are literally built to take it.

It's also not overclocking but rather downclocking in areas of lower demand but I mean, hey...

Agree.

Was just replying to a poster who believes Sony has supply issues because they overclocked the PS5 GPU.

Reactions: Bryank75

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
That's my biggest worry. Nothing pissed me more than seeing Spiderman being announced for PC on a State of Play for Playstation gamers.

I wonder how many others felt the same.
It annoyed me as well. I just dont like how they sneaked that in. they didnt even mention anything about pc ports being in the sop . They could have just kept that announcement to a single tweet

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It annoyed me as well. I just dont like how they sneaked that in. they didnt even mention anything about pc ports being in the sop . They could have just kept that announcement to a single tweet

It doesn't even belong in a PS show... what were they thinking?

That's why I often say that they don't know their audience.

• haha
Reactions: DynamiteCop

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022

Why? PlayStation isn't just a console anymore, it's a platform. Why wouldn't they advertise their games which are releasing on PC during their show?

This kind of uncouth fanaticism is such a bad and embarrassing look lol... How dare they...

Jesus lmao

• haha
Reactions: Rea and Bryank75
22 Jun 2022
With the current business model they have, yes. But they're in a transitional phase. They want to become less reliant on exclusives, hence the ports.

Its very sad. I want real exclusives, not shitty timed ones. As soon as they're announced for PC they are ruined.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Rea and Bryank75
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Why? PlayStation isn't just a console anymore, it's a platform. Why wouldn't they advertise their games which are releasing on PC during their show?

This kind of uncouth fanaticism is such a bad and embarrassing look lol... How dare they...

Jesus lmao

Not really.... they only have console, they have no PC storefront, they have no handheld, they have no cloud standalone service.....

So they are just the console.

If they had a storefront on PC with all their exclusive stuff, fair enough..that is a platform.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Rea and Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

Their thinking is to get PlayStation gamers to slowly accept that they are desperate for PC pocket change and there's nothing you can do about it.

What a difference a generation makes. Jim Ryan should remember what happened to the PS3 after selling 157 million PS2s.

At least Nintendo has remained loyal to their fanbase and it shows in their sales.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Rea and Umar

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Why is it about the PC gamer?

Why are we not questioning the PS gamers who could leave for cheaper games, open platform and all the games from Xbox, PS and PC together in one place?

That is the threat.
True. Pc gaming is very attractive to uninitiated.
It is limitless and people only tend to think that barrier of entry is money. And it is but further down the line some might get tired of endless tweaking and smaller or bigger issues which are guaranteed. Hence pcgamingwiki and steamforums are usually mandatory read to prevent headaches!
So first - money
2nd - patience
3rd - collect reward of possibilities.

I myself, was a pc gamer my whole life but I gravitated more and more towards consoles to temper my "settings ocd" and just play games.
Ignorance is greatly rewarded. I had 360 because of exclusives and ended up playing even some games that were available on pc there. At least early on because my pc was not the best at the time.
With ps4, I got it just for bloodborne, the last guardian and few other exclusives in 2017 because it was just 200$ for new slim. And it was such a breeze of fresh air! The system worked fast, games looked essentially as good as on pc and exclusives are amazing.

So I might be a rare case, but with age, Consoles starting to look more attractive!

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Their thinking is to get PlayStation gamers to slowly accept that they are desperate for PC pocket change and there's nothing you can do about it.

What a difference a generation makes. Jim Ryan should remember what happened to the PS3 after selling 157 million PS2s.

At least Nintendo has remained loyal to their fanbase and it shows in their sales.
Do you realize how nuts this sounds? They're a business, they owe you nothing. They have to expand to survive, and it's not hurting you lol.

Other people getting games does nothing to you.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Let's wait and see what happens this generation.

I guarantee you Sony will reverse this decision to port to PC the moment their Hardware sales are affected.

Unfortunately it might be too late cause many PS gamers might not return.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
True. Pc gaming is very attractive to uninitiated.
It is limitless and people only tend to think that barrier of entry is money. And it is but further down the line some might get tired of endless tweaking and smaller or bigger issues which are guaranteed. Hence pcgamingwiki and steamforums are usually mandatory read to prevent headaches!
So first - money
2nd - patience
3rd - collect reward of possibilities.

I myself, was a pc gamer my whole life but I gravitated more and more towards consoles to temper my "settings ocd" and just play games.
Ignorance is greatly rewarded. I had 360 because of exclusives and ended up playing even some games that were available on pc there. At least early on because my pc was not the best at the time.
With ps4, I got it just for bloodborne, the last guardian and few other exclusives in 2017 because it was just 200$ for new slim. And it was such a breeze of fresh air! The system worked fast, games looked essentially as good as on pc and exclusives are amazing.

So I might be a rare case, but with age, Consoles starting to look more attractive!

Yeah I was similar to this.... I just wish there was a Pro PS console all the time. A high end version with premium finish. Like Apple do things.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

I guarantee you Sony will reverse this decision to port to PC the moment their Hardware sales are affected.

What I am really afraid of... irreversible damage.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: rofif

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Yeah I was similar to this.... I just wish there was a Pro PS console all the time. A high end version with premium finish. Like Apple do things.
I see why you would like that but I am happy it's not there :p
At least we are all on even ground and I dont get to spend 1000$ more on it :p

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022

Not happening, bud. They're selling millions on PC and that will only increase as more people become accustomed to their games.

It's time to let this nonsense go.

Three

24 Jun 2022
Why is it about the PC gamer?

Why are we not questioning the PS gamers who could leave for cheaper games, open platform and all the games from Xbox, PS and PC together in one place?

That is the threat.
Because if they were to leave for the open platform or cheaper games what could you do? Wouldn't they be buying the multiplatform games there anyway if it's cheaper and keep the PlayStation to play PS games on release? If they didn't care about the PS game to not get a PS then you didn't have that customer to begin with.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Not happening, bud. They're selling millions on PC and that will only increase as more people become accustomed to their games.

Really? Pocket change considering Sony Playstation console revenue is 21 billion. More people downloaded and played the game for free.

sony-pc-port-chart.png

• brain
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75 and Umar

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446

Except they're not selling millions like you say. Days gone didnt even sell 1 million nor did god of war. Horizon only 2 million after two years. Very weak numbers

• fire
Reactions: Muddasar

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Except they're not selling millions like you say. Days gone didnt even sell 1 million nor did god of war. Horizon only 2 million after two years. Very weak numbers
That's literally selling millions, thanks for the math lesson...

22 Jun 2022
Funny how all PC ports combined sold less than half of what TLOU2 on did on PS alone lol.

• brain
Reactions: Umar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

And the excuse is these are OLD games.

Why does the age of the game bother PC gamers if they never played the game?

Reality is more people downloaded these games on torrents and played for free.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: yewles1
Status
Not open for further replies.