With success of Helldivers Sony can't let Arrowhead remain independent |UP| Rumor of acquisition is unsubstantiated as per Arrowhead. 10 mil sales?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
If publishers like Sony bet on GaaS it's because they know GaaS generate more revenue and have more users than non-GaaS. Helldivers 2 may be more successful than they estimated, but won't change their plans.

Pretty likely they expect that Concord, Marathon and Fairgame$ will be much more successful than Helldivers 2 because they are made by ex-Destiny, Halo, CoD or Assassin's Creed / Rainbow Six Siege devs.

I dont know but Ill be buying them day 1
Marathon for sure. Concord too. Fairgame…. Maybe not, it looked poop

Some GaaaS will continue releaasing day one in PC, the non-GaaS that get ported will be released on PC around 2 or more years after the PS launch and the rest of the games will remain as PS only games and never will be released in PC.
I hope so

lynux3

21 Apr 2023
Helldivers 2 is amazing. I think in the next few weeks or so, assuming matchmaking and other online issues have been mostly resolved, Arrowhead needs to show their now userbase what’s in store to keep the momentum alive.

The game has potential to be even more badass than it is now! Maybe introduce a raid? Multiplayer? We already know biomes and enemies are in the mix, but when does all of that happen.

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
It's not FUD. Y'all are so heavy on the conspiracy theories.

I grew up with PlayStation and Xbox, I am never getting another PlayStation because I have PC, with the way things are going, I'm not getting a PlayStation because I know that it will come to PC sometime.

I didn't even throw money at a PS4 for bloodborne and i'm a fromsoft dick rider. There isn't anything on PS that makes me want a PS. I don't like comics, God of War's old style is better impo, Ghost is coming to PC sometime soon (according to the NVIDIA Leak and rumors), tlou isnt interesting to me.

What they were saying has actual merit, there are tons like me who will not buy a console because they know PC releases are on the horizon, Helldivers 2 shows Sony they can profit much more on PC from day and date.

I think I was right, PlayStation liked what they saw with Helldivers 2, they could potentially be looking at Day and Date for more games.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think I was right, PlayStation liked what they saw with Helldivers 2, they could potentially be looking at Day and Date for more games.
As they alredy announced, some games will never be relesed on PC.

From those also released on PC, some GaaS might be released day one (case of the Bungie ones, Helldivers 2 and maybe Concord or Fairgame$, but not GT7, MLB or Firewall Ultra).

For the rest of games who will be ported to PC will be released around 2 years of more since they were originally released on PS (counting from the original release, not the release of a remaster/remake/relaunch).

They won't change their long term strategy for the sales of a single specific game. As Totoki said they use their first party games to make their consoles popular. And would lose that releasing all their games and even more doing so day one. Won't happen because as Totoki, Jimbo and Hermen said their main priority and focus is their home console, PS5.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

From those also released on PC, some GaaS might be released day one (case of the Bungie ones, Helldivers 2 and maybe Concord or Fairgame$, but not GT7, MLB or Firewall Ultra).

For the rest of games who will be ported to PC will be released around 2 years of more since they were originally released on PS (counting from the original release, not the release of a remaster/remake/relaunch).

They won't change their long term strategy for the sales of a single specific game. As Totoki said they use their first party games to make their consoles popular. And would lose that releasing all their games and even more doing so day one. Won't happen because as Totoki, Jimbo and Hermen said their main priority and focus is their home console, PS5.
I hope so.

Exicide

2 Feb 2024

"In the past, we wanted to popularize console... but there is a synergy to it. So if you have strong first-party content, not only with our console but also other platforms like computers, first-party can be grown with multi platforms and that can help operating profit to improve."

I don't know, this sounds like first party may come to PC as well, "strong first-party content, not only with our console but also other platforms like computers." Once again. I'm just spit-balling, from the sounds of what that statement says, it just looks like they may think about it.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
"In the past, we wanted to popularize console... but there is a synergy to it. So if you have strong first-party content, not only with our console but also other platforms like computers, first-party can be grown with multi platforms and that can help operating profit to improve."

I don't know, this sounds like first party may come to PC as well, "strong first-party content, not only with our console but also other platforms like computers." Once again. I'm just spit-balling, from the sounds of what that statement says, it just looks like they may think about it.
This quote is incomplete and out of context. It misses the question he was replying (they ask him that since PS5 components over time got more expensive instead of cheaper like in previous consoles, how are they compensating/going to compensate that lack of operating profit in the hardware during the second half of the lifetime of the console that they had in other consoles and won't be able to have now) and the part of Totoki's reply where he explains why first party exclusives are important for their console (he rightly said they help make the console more popular, and that was their goal).

Meaning, every year there is a bigger amount of PS only Sony releases than PC releases, so the total amount of PS only games increases every year. Some Sony games never will be released on PC, some GaaS will be day one on PC (Bungie games, Helldivers 2, Concord or Fairgame$). So they can release some stuff on PC while still generating a lot of great PS exclusive 1st and 3rd party games.

The PC ports have a huge ROI/operating profit, because each one costs them a couple millions and they together generate them hundreds of millions per year and every year grow and grow. Aside from the traditional revenue from games sold or rented in their console, that big amount of extra profit comping from 1st party games sold outside PS helps them fund the big a mount of first party games they have under development (more than 25 in PS Studios + at least 3 at Bungie, all time record), the growth of their internal studios and now also that hardware profitability issue.

But still keep exclusive games in their console, some of them temporally (around 2 years or more since the original PS release of the game, not counting remasters or remakes). Same strategy they have been doing for years.

We also have to consider that Totoki has an interim role, something temporal April once Jim Ryan retires they'll put someone else as CEO. So Totoki won't make any meaningful change.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I hate that kind of language "company X can't let something happen".

They're not all powerful beings, maybe the other company is not willing to sell... Especially if this game succeed in the medium therm.

Sony is probably not in a rush to buy right now because MS is trying not to puke after eating so many other companies so fast.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Can we make like a minimum 10,000 follower limit to create rumor threads at least? I could be spitting hot fire out my ass on X and get reposted here.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Looks like they did it. grats to the owners, they definetly rich now

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Assuming this is true, are there any other Second party studio sony works with that they havent acquired? Id say a large investment in Square would be smart. I think a dark horse smart investment would be Disney as well.

-Buy arrowhead
-Invest like 500 Million into square exix stock to "strengthen their partnership for final fantasy"
-Invest in Disney to strengthen ties in the marvel universe (and hopefully get a better rate on royalty fees!)

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Agreed, They should work on Socom next
A new SOCOM using the decima engine make it a linear 10 to 15 hour game so it doesn’t take 6-7 years please these games need to release in 4 years as time passes gaming becomes much harder to wait for big projects

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Assuming this is true, are there any other Second party studio sony works with that they havent acquired? Id say a large investment in Square would be smart. I think a dark horse smart investment would be Disney as well.

-Buy arrowhead
-Invest like 500 Million into square exix stock to "strengthen their partnership for final fantasy"
-Invest in Disney to strengthen ties in the marvel universe (and hopefully get a better rate on royalty fees!)
In the not-so-distant past there was Quantic Dream (Detroit), GenDesign (Last Guardian), Supermassive, FromSoftware, Kojima Productions, Lucid Games, Sumo Digital (Sackboy), they're getting tighter and tighter with Team Ninja also.

Reactions: Dabaus

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
In the not-so-distant past there was Quantic Dream (Detroit), GenDesign (Last Guardian), Supermassive, FromSoftware, Kojima Productions, Lucid Games, Sumo Digital (Sackboy), they're getting tighter and tighter with Team Ninja also.
They already invested in Koei-Tecmo (team ninja), from soft, and basically have kojima locked down for the rest of his career. Sumo is owned by tencent and gendesign is owned by epic. So arrowhead would be the last independent studio sony partners with regularly that they would own. Thats why an investment in SE and disney make the most sense for a next step to me.