With Xbox dead and Nintendo relegated, is Sony going after Steam next?

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Sony would pull their titles from steam in this scenario - steam loses those, the Sony PC storefront gains all the third party support of their consoles and Sony now gets to milk PC players for coin.

And yes, Nintendo has been relegated, and no, their console will not be powerful enough to garner sustained AAA support for the duration of a generation.
Were you ever an xbox fan boy? because you sound like one

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom
24 Jun 2022
Sony would pull their titles from steam in this scenario - steam loses those, the Sony PC storefront gains all the third party support of their consoles and Sony now gets to milk PC players for coin.

And yes, Nintendo has been relegated, and no, their console will not be powerful enough to garner sustained AAA support for the duration of a generation.

We'll just have to respectfully disagree on this one. Reads a lot like cope IMHO. The fallout Sony'd get for pulling games from Steam to make them exclusive to their own launcher would be legendary, and you'd get hackers gunning to crack their PC releases weeks before they even officially came out, if not worst. Not to mention all the press ganging up on them for such (especially if buyers on Steam weren't refunded their purchases).

As for Nintendo, their system doesn't need to be uber powerful to get continued AAA support. It just needs to be decently capable enough and have a large install base. Both of which will likely end up being the case. You also underestimate how cloud gaming may play a role going forward, for real-time streaming of visual effects, textures etc. the base console may not be able to do on its own.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

If EA and Activision could not manage without Steam I don't think Sony could.

OP
OP
Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
If EA and Activision could not manage without Steam I don't think Sony could.
It's in the OP btw - Ubisoft began to record its highest PC earnings ever after leaving Steam. Paging @ethomaz for the receipts.

We'll just have to respectfully disagree on this one. Reads a lot like cope IMHO. The fallout Sony'd get for pulling games from Steam to make them exclusive to their own launcher would be legendary, and you'd get hackers gunning to crack their PC releases weeks before they even officially came out, if not worst. Not to mention all the press ganging up on them for such (especially if buyers on Steam weren't refunded their purchases).

As for Nintendo, their system doesn't need to be uber powerful to get continued AAA support. It just needs to be decently capable enough and have a large install base. Both of which will likely end up being the case. You also underestimate how cloud gaming may play a role going forward, for real-time streaming of visual effects, textures etc. the base console may not be able to do on its own.
All the stanning for steam is a bit sickening tbh. They're not this untouchable, infallible being. They fall below Xbox on the platform holder ladder in terms of platform revenues. Let that sink in.

And there's been a lot of hopium hinging on Nintendo's next console btw - remember that it's a hybrid. It's already going to be massively limited. We've already seen the power of cloud versions of demanding games on Switch. It's a miserable experience.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: HypeThrusters

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
OP is right in that Steam is not "untouchable". They have a major soft spot, and that is exclusive software offerings, on top of a slim backup bag for real $$$ war. They however have a massive first movers advantage, and a loyal base tied to their behind with their digital libraries, on top of dev trust and favoritism - as fairweather as that can be $$$. They also are masters at "staying still" - not valued enough in the corporate world.

I disagree strongly that Sony, with its current leadership and make up is capable of doing the touching. Sony is built for it in all pre-requisites but the minds are not there, and without that it does not matter how much muscle you pack, you still gonna get K'Od on the mat. At any rate, Sony has not shown any capacity for this, specially with how they've handled competition with Xbox. Their current barebones strategy speaks volumes aka "copy MS's lead". They may try to add some depth to that but it won't be either enough nor the right approach.

Last edited:

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Steam on PC is the little leagues in comparison.
This has to be a troll post, like really? There are far more PC players than Console, all of the, use Steam
The revenue earned by the respective platform holders and the markets are incomparably tilted in PlayStation's favour and Sony can use that to pry open the market. Remember, unlike Microsoft, all of this was earned by the business unit in the market they're competing in.
Remember, unlike Sony, Valve does not depend on making games or machines, yes once in a blue moon they release a banger, but Steam is a service first and as a service there is literally no one in the market that can beat them.
I'm not celebrating that, I'm just stating facts, even on PC people hate having to use the epics games store, Origin, Blizzard's launcher, you name it and people hate it.
Sony is not getting anywhere in that space, even in their own platform they lack incredibly important features that Steam have. You can't even gift games on playtation to your friends.
Not to mention how user friendly Steam is. The 2hr refund for any game whatsoever iws a perfect example that even as a service Steam is way ahead of Sony.

Trust me, 140% of the games I play, I play exclusivelly on playstation, but you have to be either trolling or be blinded by ponyness to think that Sony trying to go against steam is a good Idea.

OP
OP
Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
This has to be a troll post, like really? There are far more PC players than Console, all of the, use Steam

Remember, unlike Sony, Valve does not depend on making games or machines, yes once in a blue moon they release a banger, but Steam is a service first and as a service there is literally no one in the market that can beat them.
I'm not celebrating that, I'm just stating facts, even on PC people hate having to use the epics games store, Origin, Blizzard's launcher, you name it and people hate it.
Sony is not getting anywhere in that space, even in their own platform they lack incredibly important features that Steam have. You can't even gift games on playtation to your friends.
Not to mention how user friendly Steam is. The 2hr refund for any game whatsoever iws a perfect example that even as a service Steam is way ahead of Sony.

Trust me, 140% of the games I play, I play exclusivelly on playstation, but you have to be either trolling or be blinded by ponyness to think that Sony trying to go against steam is a good Idea.
The problem with features is they're all replicable.

Sony going up against Steam with the backing of a multiplatform platform (across console and PC) would wipe the floor with Steam.

• haha
Reactions: balrogboy

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

Sony going up against Steam with the backing of a multiplatform platform (across console and PC) would wipe the floor with Steam.
Sony cant even replicate those features on PlayStation despite having a 100m+ installed base.

Online is still paid, pretty much no refund option, bad local pricing, etc.

Valve will run circles around Sony in the PC space.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023

If only there was a console provider with a foothold on PC. Maybe also an OS provider, someone with a much larger market cap than Sony and Valve together...

It would be really easy for them to open a store and kill Steam right? Maybe they can install their store as a bundled program in their OS which is also the dominant OS on the market. There you go. Guaranteed success!!

/s

Maybe, just maybe, is not that simple to replicate what valve has done for the past 20 years.

Last edited:

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
If only there were a console provider with a foothold on PC. Maybe also an OS provider, someone with a much larger market cap than Sony and Valve together...

It would be real easy for them to open a store and kill Steam right? Maybe they can install their store as a bundled program in their OS which is also the dominant OS on the market. There you go. Guaranteed success!!

/s

Maybe, just maybe, is not that simple to replicate what valve has done for the past 20 years.
To those wondering. Hint:

It's MS.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If only there were a console provider with a foothold on PC. Maybe also an OS provider, someone with a much larger market cap than Sony and Valve together...

It would be real easy for them to open a store and kill Steam right? Maybe they can install their store as a bundled program in their OS which is also the dominant OS on the market. There you go. Guaranteed success!!

/s

Compared to MS, Sony has 2 big assets:
  • Way bigger console userbase/fanbase from PS who has a big game library there
  • Bigger, better rated, better selling, lineup of first party/exclusives from recent and past generations that they can port and make store exclusive in PC
I think a PC PSN store unified with console PSN, featuring cross-save and cross-buy between console and PC only on Sony's PC store and launcher (plus features also available on Steam and other PC stores like shared friendlist or trophies with console), would work way better for Sony than for MS.

Specially if Sony releases a PC handheld and uses their PC PSN store for it.

OP
OP
Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Sony cant even replicate those features on PlayStation despite having a 100m+ installed base.

Online is still paid, pretty much no refund option, bad local pricing, etc.

Valve will run circles around Sony in the PC space.
All of these 'features' are unnecessary and revenue-draining in the console market. It's why PlayStation generates much more than Valve. If all they needed to compete on PC was give some money back to the cheapskates I'm sure they'd manage.

As for this - lmao. MS couldn't platform hold their way out of a paper bag. They've never dominated any single gaming market, while Sony is coming in with console dominance. Steam creamers quivering in their boots.

24 Jun 2022
Compared to MS, Sony has 2 big assets:
  • Way bigger console userbase/fanbase from PS who has a big game library there
  • Bigger, better rated, better selling, lineup of first party/exclusives from recent and past generations that they can port and make store exclusive in PC
I think a PC PSN store unified with console PSN, featuring cross-save and cross-buy between console and PC only on Sony's PC store and launcher (plus features also available on Steam and other PC stores like shared friendlist or trophies with console), would work way better for Sony than for MS.

Specially if Sony releases a PC handheld and uses their PC PSN store for it.

So now you're advocating Sony release a PC handheld instead of a PlayStation handheld.

Why am I not surprised? 🙄

• haha
Reactions: Puff and JAHGamer
OP
OP
Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Btw I still think any PC presence is a terrible idea. It's a dying market with rock bottom software sales for AAA titles (worse than Xbox) and just not worth pursuing. This thread is just here to illustrate that if Sony did go that route, Valve would get steamrolled.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer
24 Jun 2022
Steam isn't the same market neither is Nintendo so no.

They don't HAVE to be the same market in order to compete for gaming time and money. Steam more so, because there's a larger degree of audience crossover with PlayStation (and Xbox, hence why MS's support of Steam is part of the reason for Xbox's console decline).

You guys have to get this antiquated notion out of your head that Steam and Nintendo aren't competing with PlayStation simply because they aren't as blatant about it as Xbox has been.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So now you're advocating Sony release a PC handheld instead of a PlayStation handheld.

Why am I not surprised? 🙄
PS4 and PS5 already have PC hardware running a PC OS (Linux variant). The difference with the portable I mention is that -in addition to being portable (or "hybrid") it would use the games from Sony's PC PSN store instead of the console PSN ones.

The games made for PS4 or PS5 only work on the hardware they were made for, wouldn't work on a new portable. The PC games instead run in any PC without requiring a port.

Sony and the 3rd parties don't want to make games or ports for a system almost nobody buys, like Vita or a potential successor. But PC is a huge market, bigger than the PS one, so now that they are making the games for PCs they wouldn't care of running it on another PC more. Instead of a port for that device, having the PC vesion like Steamdeck devs would only need to select a default settings configuration for the device.

They don't HAVE to be the same market in order to compete for gaming time and money. Steam more so, because there's a larger degree of audience crossover with PlayStation (and Xbox, hence why MS's support of Steam is part of the reason for Xbox's console decline).

You guys have to get this antiquated notion out of your head that Steam and Nintendo aren't competing with PlayStation simply because they aren't as blatant about it as Xbox has been.
The user demographics, main countries, controls / game experience / place where they are played, some of their most popular genres/game types/publishers are pretty different between PlayStation, Steam and Switch.

Yes, they have some overlap but they don't directly compete. They compete not directly, almost in the same way they compete against the cinema, Netflix, tabletop games or books.

Last edited:

PlacidusaX

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Oct 2022

Sure they do. Different gamer demographics make up each.
Steam is the super niche market.

Playstation is the popular going to play the new cod with co-workers market.

Nintendo is the toy,children,man-children(nostalgia)and mobile market.