Xbox business Podcast Announced for February 15

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Only stupid people will fall for it, the ports will speak for themselves. Hi-fi Rush and SoT are already two unexpected ports and for some reason none of the Activision games made it to Gamepass.

It was during an interview that Phil Spencer introduced the idea that they don't believe making great games would ever allow them to beat their competitors, there is a lot of damage that could be done in a podcast.
I think they might be waiting till their deal with EA expires & EA play games are removed then they'll replace them with Activision games

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
You mean the Tom Warren stuff? Oh yeah 100% it's a controlled leak. He "suddenly" has details shortly after Microsoft themselves officially announce the date of the business update. It's a controlled leak and specifically to Tom Warren at The Verge.

Like I've said before, Tom (and to a lesser extent Jez Corden) have inside connects to people at Microsoft. They're online mouthpieces for the gaming side of the brand to some notable degree.

However I also have a feeling MS aren't telling them everything that'll be mentioned in the podcast. They'd hold stuff back obviously because any of the heavier stuff, they'll want to be the ones to say it themselves and control the messaging/optics around it 100%.
Absolutely. I wonder if that muzzled mutt Warren posted the poll about what type of news people followed him for (MS or Xbox) as an appeal to his masters to keep plying him with Xbox-related leaks.

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
2 days later and it's just a podcast, unbelievable 🤣🤣🤣. This is why Playstation is at whole different level than this amateur company. Playstation means business, unlike this shitty incompetent company called eksbotz who rather go out of business and pandering to their extremist cult rather than making money 🤣🤣🤣.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

I think we'll need to pay close attention to see what they are and aren't willing to rule out in terms of what could get ported.

If MS ends up transisitioning towards being a multiplatform publisher, what they buy becomes less of a concern for those of us on Playstation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
GGKDbLMXsAA0ySQ

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I think we'll need to pay close attention to see what they are and aren't willing to rule out in terms of what could get ported.
Does this even matter? The second 1 game goes over, no matter how small, everything else is automatically brought into question. Even if they just ported one game, and nothing else ever again, that single port will do irreversible damage.

24 Jun 2022

If MS ends up transisitioning towards being a multiplatform publisher, what they buy becomes less of a concern for those of us on Playstation.

It shouldn't, though. Mass consolidation is still mass consolidation, and it's not like much good came from EA buying up a lot of the studios they've purchased over the years, many of them shutting down and shedding tons of talent but locking the IPs into EA's vaults.

I've seen people saying that MS going fully multiplatform would make it much easier for them to acquire more publishers, but that's honestly a stupid take. Regulators aren't going to suddenly give Microsoft carte blanche to buy out the industry just because they might no longer be a console platform holder going forward. They're still a $3 trillion mega-conglomerate who still have an overwhelming hold in the PC OS space, have a huge cloud services platform, and are pushing hard into AI, not to mention all the business software market share they have in the tech space.

The fact it was $3 trillion Microsoft that financed the ABK deal didn't go unnoticed with regulators, and MS having a significantly easier time to buy up publishers would just be the perfect grounds to basically tease about a shift in the business model and then go "PSYCHE! We've got Take-Two, we've got EA, we've got Square-Enix, we got SEGA AND we got Ubisoft! Time to make consoles again and foreclose on Sony & Nintendo ASAP!"

No way in high hell would they be able to do that. I do think in theory, being a multiplatform publisher makes future gaming M&As a bit easier for Microsoft, but not nearly to the degree I've seen some try suggesting. Not just that, but I don't think Microsoft care too much about doing another big gaming M&A for a few years; they need to produce some real results with Zenimax, ABK and the acquired XGS studios first, so that the company knows they have a meaningful place in the gaming industry. That'll probably take at least about five years. If by then the gaming side has stabilized, shown continued growth in revenue and profits, and getting in desired markets & growing in them, only then do I feel Microsoft would consider another big gaming acquisition.

Rushing into yet another anytime too soon would just be reckless and potentially very damaging for all parties aside, unless it's a really small studio here or there. Like if Embracer offer up Crystal Dynamics for example; they're not a "really small" studio but they aren't among the biggest either. Picking a studio like that up would make sense for Microsoft because they're working on Perfect Dark reboot. But there wouldn't be a flood of such purchases. I'm just saying, them acquiring a studio like CD could be feasible within the next 1-2 years, depends on what Embracer wants and also probably Amazon's involvement (since they have publishing rights for the next Tomb Raider game IIRC and CD are working on that).

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
It shouldn't, though. Mass consolidation is still mass consolidation, and it's not like much good came from EA buying up a lot of the studios they've purchased over the years, many of them shutting down and shedding tons of talent but locking the IPs into EA's vaults.

I've seen people saying that MS going fully multiplatform would make it much easier for them to acquire more publishers, but that's honestly a stupid take. Regulators aren't going to suddenly give Microsoft carte blanche to buy out the industry just because they might no longer be a console platform holder going forward. They're still a $3 trillion mega-conglomerate who still have an overwhelming hold in the PC OS space, have a huge cloud services platform, and are pushing hard into AI, not to mention all the business software market share they have in the tech space.

The fact it was $3 trillion Microsoft that financed the ABK deal didn't go unnoticed with regulators, and MS having a significantly easier time to buy up publishers would just be the perfect grounds to basically tease about a shift in the business model and then go "PSYCHE! We've got Take-Two, we've got EA, we've got Square-Enix, we got SEGA AND we got Ubisoft! Time to make consoles again and foreclose on Sony & Nintendo ASAP!"

No way in high hell would they be able to do that. I do think in theory, being a multiplatform publisher makes future gaming M&As a bit easier for Microsoft, but not nearly to the degree I've seen some try suggesting. Not just that, but I don't think Microsoft care too much about doing another big gaming M&A for a few years; they need to produce some real results with Zenimax, ABK and the acquired XGS studios first, so that the company knows they have a meaningful place in the gaming industry. That'll probably take at least about five years. If by then the gaming side has stabilized, shown continued growth in revenue and profits, and getting in desired markets & growing in them, only then do I feel Microsoft would consider another big gaming acquisition.

Rushing into yet another anytime too soon would just be reckless and potentially very damaging for all parties aside, unless it's a really small studio here or there. Like if Embracer offer up Crystal Dynamics for example; they're not a "really small" studio but they aren't among the biggest either. Picking a studio like that up would make sense for Microsoft because they're working on Perfect Dark reboot. But there wouldn't be a flood of such purchases. I'm just saying, them acquiring a studio like CD could be feasible within the next 1-2 years, depends on what Embracer wants and also probably Amazon's involvement (since they have publishing rights for the next Tomb Raider game IIRC and CD are working on that).
I agree that they shouldn't be able to just buy any and everything because they've agree to port some things, but I do feel like if they were to go multiplatform, I'm less concerned about the things they are allowed to buy because I could still get their games (used preferably) on my platform of choice.

It would go from existential threat to just really annoying.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
I agree that they shouldn't be able to just buy any and everything because they've agree to port some things, but I do feel like if they were to go multiplatform, I'm less concerned about the things they are allowed to buy because I could still get their games (used preferably) on my platform of choice.

It would go from existential threat to just really annoying.
I don't think that's true at all. Used Microsoft games? They'll be all digital if they are the main publisher in town. Buy? It's on Game Pass, why would you be buying it? This is why going 3rd party isn't a panacea to antitrust actions because the more they grow with further mergers the more power they have on consumers by forcing them into their bad practices. Ironically Xbox being it's own platform has contained most of the gaming space from Microsofts poison, but if that wall comes down I'd certainly be worried about what effect it has everywhere.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I don't think that's true at all. Used Microsoft games? They'll be all digital if they are the main publisher in town. Buy? It's on Game Pass, why would you be buying it? This is why going 3rd party isn't a panacea to antitrust actions because the more they grow with further mergers the more power they have on consumers by forcing them into their bad practices. Ironically Xbox being it's own platform has contained most of the gaming space from Microsofts poison, but if that wall comes down I'd certainly be worried about what effect it has everywhere.
Eh, I don't trust regulators to stop them from doing anything so the next most realistic solution is market realities forcing them to go multiplatform imo.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
A little déjà vu
881901542091915354.webp