Xbox fanatics social media meltdowns in regards to 3rd party move and other losses |OT| "When fiction meets reality.

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
When the hell it ever was the best place to play?? I think along the lines like never...
Original Xbox after Xbox Live dropped, and the earlier days of 360 before Mattrick came along. At least, "best place to play with friends" in terms of online play.

Reactions: Kokoloko

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
I was more of a PC gamer back then but even so that specific window is too narrow to be called best at anything if you never played MS exclusive games.

I tried Halo but it was truly unimpressive. Gears of war looked funky af. I never remember a MS exclusive that I felt I must play.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
I was more of a PC gamer back then but even so that specific window is too narrow to be called best at anything if you never played MS exclusive games.

I tried Halo but it was truly unimpressive. Gears of war looked funky af. I never remember a MS exclusive that I felt I must play.
Halo was a watershed moment for FPS games on consoles. No one had really pulled off decent FPS gameplay on a controller very well until Bungie did. Yes, Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark were huge, but they were clunky, especially with aiming and getting around the single analog stick issue. Perfect Dark had the only co-op campaign I can think of before Halo's, and that was an epic experience, as was the 4-player split screen and LAN multiplayer experience.

Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

I bought an S just to see what the hype was about with Gears and Halo and man was I disappointed. I felt like I was playing an mp from years ago. They may have innovated back then but sure are stuck behind in the times with most mp games infinitely better than what they offer now imo of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: panda-zebra

panda-zebra

2 Mar 2024
NW UK
I bought an S just to see what the hype was about with Gears and Halo and man was I disappointed. I felt like I was playing an mp from tears ago. They may have innovated back then but sure are stuck behind in the times with most mp games infinitely better than what thry offer now imo of course.
Exact same sort of experience here. I think you had to be there at the time because now, with years and years of advancements and improvements in games and game tech, those old games seem to require a hefty pair of rose-tinted specs with a huge slice of nostalgia on the side to be enjoyable or at least appreciate what they might have been like at the time. I wasn't missing out now by not playing those games, I apparently only missed out back then. It would have been nice to realise this beforehand, but at least I now know.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Exact same sort of experience here. I think you had to be there at the time because now, with years and years of advancements and improvements in games and game tech, those old games seem to require a hefty pair of rose-tinted specs with a huge slice of nostalgia on the side to be enjoyable or at least appreciate what they might have been like at the time. I wasn't missing out now by not playing those games, I apparently only missed out back then. It would have been nice to realise this beforehand, but at least I now know.
Yeah I missed it due to unforseen circumstances but I guess I didn't miss much 😅

Reactions: panda-zebra

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
IDK what thread to put this in but SneakersSO over on neogaf had some things to say about that one game cancelling its xbox port:

"For context - cancellations/delays like this are almost unheard of barring some bizarre technical issues. The word around the time multiplat Xbox news was breaking out was that this was gonna shake up plans for platform support, and loads of stories from pubs and devs of all sizes is starting to surface. We are gonna see more notable skips."

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
IDK what thread to put this in but SneakersSO over on neogaf had some things to say about that one game cancelling its xbox port:

"For context - cancellations/delays like this are almost unheard of barring some bizarre technical issues. The word around the time multiplat Xbox news was breaking out was that this was gonna shake up plans for platform support, and loads of stories from pubs and devs of all sizes is starting to surface. We are gonna see more notable skips."
that guy never misses, so thats great news and I can't wait to see the meltdowns. Sega 2.0 😁😁

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven

Good, fuck them for trying to hold the industry back.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
that guy never misses, so thats great news and I can't wait to see the meltdowns. Sega 2.0 😁😁
Sneaker SO also had this to say:

"First, once a game announced release platforms and dates for all of them, its VERY unusual for that to get changed. Its one of thing if a developer/pub won't commit to platforms while things are being hashed. In fact, most games, especially if they have a publisher (even if they are self-publishing) and are above a certain funding level, all must sign release agreements with platform holders ensuring that the release will, outside of certain restrictions (which includes financial burdens on the dev/pub fyi), come out with near-parity with other platforms, both in terms of release and in terms of performance.

Second, this isn't just some game. Yes, most folks haven't heard of it, but this game has been featured by ID@Xbox, in indie showcases by Xbox, and has trailers on the official channels of Xbox, meaning Xbox and this dev are in contact. What this means is that if there were technical issues holding the game back, these devs have the contacts and even resources to get that fixed. Microsoft (and Sony as well) will regularly loan engineering staff to get ports working proper on their machines, and they have entire floating engineering teams dedicated specifically to 3rd party outreach. I have worked with folks from both Sony and MS in this capacity and they are all quite fantastic.

We're going to see a lot of devs and pubs in the future skip the Xbox SKU for a host of reasons. I'm sure these devs were banking on signing a GP deal that just never materialized - word on the street is 3rd party GP budget is now a husk of its former $1b per year self."

We need to get him to post here lol.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Sneaker SO also had this to say:

"First, once a game announced release platforms and dates for all of them, its VERY unusual for that to get changed. Its one of thing if a developer/pub won't commit to platforms while things are being hashed. In fact, most games, especially if they have a publisher (even if they are self-publishing) and are above a certain funding level, all must sign release agreements with platform holders ensuring that the release will, outside of certain restrictions (which includes financial burdens on the dev/pub fyi), come out with near-parity with other platforms, both in terms of release and in terms of performance.

Second, this isn't just some game. Yes, most folks haven't heard of it, but this game has been featured by ID@Xbox, in indie showcases by Xbox, and has trailers on the official channels of Xbox, meaning Xbox and this dev are in contact. What this means is that if there were technical issues holding the game back, these devs have the contacts and even resources to get that fixed. Microsoft (and Sony as well) will regularly loan engineering staff to get ports working proper on their machines, and they have entire floating engineering teams dedicated specifically to 3rd party outreach. I have worked with folks from both Sony and MS in this capacity and they are all quite fantastic.

We're going to see a lot of devs and pubs in the future skip the Xbox SKU for a host of reasons. I'm sure these devs were banking on signing a GP deal that just never materialized - word on the street is 3rd party GP budget is now a husk of its former $1b per year self."

We need to get him to post here lol.
Looks like the money people aren't willing to put up with Phil's spending sprees anymore. They even gimped GP spending.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

You mean the elontria game? It would have been fine in tht thread but it's cool.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
lmao at the "tools" legend

Xbot twitter will meltdown harder if true