Xbox Game Pass is getting MAJOR changes, with a new tier without day one games, and a range of price increases

Nydius

26 Jun 2024
Genuinely surprised they didn't just do a "migration" of Game Pass Console users to Game Pass Standard, but I suspect they will do so eventually. They probably didn't want immediate backlash and bad press before their fall season. However, I can't see Microsoft leaving a hidden, grandfathered subscription tier lingering out there for too long. Eventually they will quietly migrate all GP Console users into GP Standard and then tell them if they want day one games again they need to upgrade to Ultimate.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Price Changes are worldwide

f41pPtX.jpeg

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So now the only way to get the day one GP games on console will be paying $240/year.

The console middle tier will now get online MP instead of day one games, making it more similar to the PS+ equivalent.

And everything gets more expensive.

I assume that in the next price increase, in a year or two, will also remove the day one games for PC GP and the existing console middle tier GP subbers.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Price Changes are worldwide

f41pPtX.jpeg
Holy crap Argentina is getting jobbed, 60% increase in sub cost

Also I remember when people laughed at ... I think it was Andrew House or Shawn layden when he said that game pass would need 500million subscribers to be profitable. Who's laughing now?

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
This is Sonys fault. They make it hard for Xbox to be relevant with all their third party deals. They bully poor little Microsoft to make huge acquisitions but held those up too. This is because gamers can’t recognize quality and like one and done Sony walking simulators. Phil is a visionary and gamepass still is the future.

Nydius

26 Jun 2024
I assume that in the next price increase, in a year or two, will also remove the day one games for PC GP and the existing console middle tier GP subbers.

Probably. I imagine they're also betting that existing "console" Game Pass users who are being grandfathered over will accidentally (or intentionally) allow their subscription to lapse because once they're no longer active, they can't go back to being grandfathered into the old tier and will have to choose Standard without day one games or Ultimate with them.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
So are we thinking the console hardly clears 30M lifetime sales?

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
We've all been calling this for ages.

And they only recently had a price increase, and there will be regular, 'small' increases to avoid doing it in one go, but people aren't stupid. Soon enough it will be $25 a month for Ultimate.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly