Xbox Game Pass is getting MAJOR changes, with a new tier without day one games, and a range of price increases

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Sunk cost fallacy. Didn't they say in court they wouldn't increase prices due to ABK?

spencer pratt meditate GIF

They closed on ABK a year ago. Technically they haven't increased the price due to the merger itself. They never said that they wouldn't increase it due to ABK games being included in GamePass or just in general.

It's very difficult to prove without internal documents that this is "simply" because of the merger.

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
Subscription services have found that consumers are actually willing to pay higher prices without bailing. At least so far.
Only Netflix has seen growth with this strategy. The rest of the services have been stagnant or declining after raising prices. Netflix and GamePass are not analogous as services in pretty much every dimension.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Only Netflix has seen growth with this strategy. The rest of the services have been stagnant or declining after raising prices. Netflix and GamePass are not analogous as services in pretty much every dimension.

What subscription services are in decline after raising prices?

Growth is absolutely slowing, but that's not what I said. I said that what subscription services have found is that people arent quick to cancel services simply because of price increases, which is why we've seen price increases across the board despite the competition.

In fact this is a strategy in large part DUE to the lack of growth.

So no, this is not exclusive to Netflix.

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
What subscription services are in decline after raising prices?

Growth is absolutely slowing, but that's not what I said. I said that what subscription services have found is that people arent quick to cancel services simply because of price increases, which is why we've seen price increases across the board despite the competition.

In fact this is a strategy in large part DUE to the lack of growth.

So no, this is not exclusive to Netflix.
65dde8e6b37f6d7c8a08d04b_Slide5%20(1).png

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
The "best deal in gaming" just keeps getting worse. I have no sympathy whatsoever, though. Anyone with a brain can see what MS's endgame is and that giving a company like that control over your video game library (or lack thereof in this case) is ludicrously foolish. All the 'MS is so pro-consumer', 'sub services are the future', etc. commentary while attacking anyone who sensibly pointed out the drawbacks that went on and still is going on- well, enjoy the ever increasing prices and decreasing game quality. I have no doubt we will continue to see price increases, less access to games (unless you pay a premium price), and more HB2, Redfall, etc. calibre releases.

As a side note, it seems MS doesn't want to alienate their PC Game Pass subscribers...yet.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
The "best deal in gaming" just keeps getting worse. I have no sympathy whatsoever, though. Anyone with a brain can see what MS's endgame is and that giving a company like that control over your video game library (or lack thereof in this case) is ludicrously foolish. All the 'MS is so pro-consumer', 'sub services are the future', etc. commentary while attacking anyone who sensibly pointed out the drawbacks that went on and still is going on- well, enjoy the ever increasing prices and decreasing game quality. I have no doubt we will continue to see price increases, less access to games (unless you pay a premium price), and more HB2, Redfall, etc. calibre releases.

As a side note, it seems MS doesn't want to alienate their PC Game Pass subscribers...yet.
sub services pirces have to go up for xbox. its what happens when you put triple a games on there day 1. Game dev cost too much for that. Time to pull the plug on day 1 releases.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022

If that's true, that they're trying to gouge existing customers and not attract new ones, because Game Pass is not the future - it's insane to me that it took seven years for MS to realize this. I think most of us knew Game Pass was not the future years ago. The stagnating sub rates, decline in quality, and increasing prices kinda gave it away quite some time ago.

I'm still not 100% certain they've given up on it, though. It, as a strategy, makes too much sense for a company like MS.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
even after the trillion dollar corporation slowly but surely getting rid of this subscription service/cloud gaming strategy by turning into a third party company to actually SELL games, relying on the traditional model, you'll still see stupid PlayStation business corporate slaves defending Sony falling for the trap and turning PlayStation into an app that'll be avaliable wherever there is computing

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Why don't they just abandon this failed project? It's time to move on
too late ;) game sales are already cannibalized, console sales are also cannibalized due to PC releases, Xbox is an undesirable product, that's why the only path forward is being third party on all devices, and sadly Sony is following every step MS made in the past, being with PC releases, further investments in Cloud/Sub Services, so their long term future is the same, an app on smart tvs, phones and computers