Xbox Game Pass is getting MAJOR changes, with a new tier without day one games, and a range of price increases

Nydius

26 Jun 2024
Actual, factual data from MS, states GP is costing them sales.

Not just MS, although their admission in the CMA hearing that Game Pass hinders sales was damning considering they had spent years prior trying to claim the exact opposite. I seem to recall Square-Enix pointing out that sales of games like Octopath Traveler and Outriders were utterly abysmal on Xbox platforms compared to others. What's the common denominator? Both got dropped on Game Pass day one when they launched on Xbox platforms.

FF7 Crisis Core came out on all three platforms and did the worst on Xbox.
"Game Pass when? FF7 Remake when? Waaaaaa." - Xbox users.

I'd love to see some actual sales figures for a game like, say, MLB The Show which has consistently dropped on Game Pass at launch. I bet sales are almost non-existent on Xbox platforms and probably also has the lowest rate of add-on purchases (stubs, packs).

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
It's an extremely hard sell at $22 brandons per month. You can buy one or more AAA games on sale per month with that money.

On PC you can suscribe to humble monthly for like 12 bucks per month and those are games you get to keep.

EGS freebies are still the god tier "subscription" service.

Reactions: Shadow2027

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022

Lets all point & laugh & the idiot 🤣

Sony directly said themselves that when Horizon Forbidden West was added to PS plus after a year, sales fell off a cliff. Doing that really hurt it’s sales potential. It’s why God of War Ragnarok is still not on PS plus. Sony learned their lesson.

This guy stays trying to sugarcoat shit for Xbox.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Ps plus has helped a few games but the games in question are like fall guys & that cat one , for big budget AAA games it cannibalizes the sales
yep. Pretty much the only games a service helps are those that would have zero exposure otherwise. I don't know of a single big name game, or even one with a modicum of recognizable name branding, that gamepass has helped

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
What the guy is assuming are increased sales from going into Gamepass is just a game that likely would've sold even more if it wasn't there but just had decent market. The thing is Gamepass isn't the only way to get proper marketing and also exposes your game to a lot of new challanges.

If BG3 has been on Gamepass people would be attributing the success of the games to Gamepass. In the end it's just what they want to believe no matter what, they just can't come to grips that this subscription model just doesn't work well at all for games.

Now, if you know your game sucks, sure, sell it to MS to put it on Gamepass as soon as possible.

The obsession with being the Netflix of games is so dumb, the movie and TV industry were completely cannibalized by it and it's not like Netflix became a trillion dollar company or anything. I'm thankful that the gaming market completely rejected the idea and I hope it keeps doing the same to cloud gaming.

Last edited:

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
It's an extremely hard sell at $22 brandons per month. You can buy one or more AAA games on sale per month with that money.

On PC you can suscribe to humble monthly for like 12 bucks per month and those are games you get to keep.

EGS freebies are still the god tier "subscription" service.
oh dear, if you only knew... this is not the last price increase this service will have, the subscription model for gaming will have constant price increases cause unlike subscriptions for movies/music there is absolutely no growth in Cloud/Subscriptions for the gaming space. in fact, despite coming to Samsung Smart TVs, GamePass Ultimate saw a DECREASE in subscribers, they had to merge Live Gold numbers to inflate and distract shareholders

Reactions: Would_you_kindly
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
What the guy is assuming are increased sales from going into Gamepass is just a game that likely would've sold even more if it wasn't there but just had decent market. The thing is Gamepass isn't the only way to get proper marketing and also exposes your game to a lot of new challanges.

If BG3 has been on Gamepass people would be attributing the success of the games to Gamepass. In the end it's just what they want to believe no matter what, they just can't come to grips that this subscription model just doesn't work well at all for games.

Now, if you know your game sucks, sure, sell it to MS to put it on Gamepass as soon as possible.

The obsession with being the Netflix of games is so dumb, the movie and TV industry were completely cannibalized by it and it's not like Netflix became a trillion dollar company or anything. I'm thankful that the gaming market completely rejected the idea and I hope it keeps doing the same to cloud gaming.
Not to mention the music industry , Spotify really helped music sales didn't it 😂

Draven

28 Jun 2024
I love how this whole argument is happening just because people on Xbox don't want to buy games and they want a "Netflix of games". lol

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom

'you don't want to be in a situation where it's unsustainable' 🤡 ... It wouldn't be sustainable if Xbox wasn't owned by Microsoft & that's what we've been saying all along , now the shareholders are finally getting fed up of bank rolling a failing business model

Reactions: Puff

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Ps plus has helped a few games but the games in question are like fall guys & that cat one , for big budget AAA games it cannibalizes the sales
What viral hit Mat is talking about? I don't think Palworld or Party Animals became popular because of GP.

The only thing GP helped are small indies nobody ever heard of but even then I'm not sure if it's worth it. The sales are still low regardless.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
What makes Gamepass extra dumb is that they were getting away with charging $10 just for pay walling online. Then they entered this crazy expensive and self descultive journey to be able to charge $20 for console players and even less for PC players (that still reject your subscription and likely forever will).

It's like someone had the most stupid and brain dead idea possible for their business and nobody was able to tell that person otherwise (pretty much what we got from the leaked documents, people inside MS were trying to say it made no fucking sense but Phil Spencer didn't want to hear it).

Nydius

26 Jun 2024

Jez spins more than a merry-go-round. He's crazy if he thinks Game Pass Console is going to exist in a year or two from now. The fact that they're capping stacking and they've put out an entire document about keeping recurring payments on to maintain the subscription tier pretty much says it all. It's going to be gradually phased out and they're obviously hoping over the next year that a lot of people let their subs lapse out of the grandfathered tier. Eventually they'll tell anyone still in that tier they no longer have a choice and they'll either move them over to Standard or give them some 2:1 or 3:2 type conversion from Console to Ultimate.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Jez spins more than a merry-go-round. He's crazy if he thinks Game Pass Console is going to exist in a year or two from now. The fact that they're capping stacking and they've put out an entire document about keeping recurring payments on to maintain the subscription tier pretty much says it all. It's going to be gradually phased out and they're obviously hoping over the next year that a lot of people let their subs lapse out of the grandfathered tier. Eventually they'll tell anyone still in that tier they no longer have a choice and they'll either move them over to Standard or give them some 2:1 or 3:2 type conversion from Console to Ultimate.

Yep watch Microsoft make games Day 1 on a case by case basis in the future.

Eventually Day 1 games will dry up.

It is simply not sustainable.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly