40 Minutes Of Starfield Gameplay Have Leaked Online

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Nothing fishy here.
It is just metacritic score control.
People are thinking "oh noes, they are afraid of the scorez", when what is going on here is the exact opposite.

The sites that are on hold are not only the biggest MS shills, they also have a large weight on the metacritic average. They are "waiting for their copy" while MS sees how the metacritic average evolves, so that they can later give that final push to boost the average up. The "didn't get our copy, woe is me" drama is just convenient clickbait to draw more attention to the inevitable 11/10s when they come.

DF are the exception, because they are needed to push their usual lies about performance and technical prowess.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Why didn't these outlets say anything a week or 2 ago when the review codes were sent out?

Unless MS kept stringing them along and telling them the code was coming and it actually never happend.

Pretty sneaky if they did, as those reviewers scores won't make it for this week.

Reactions: Ezekiel

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
It is just metacritic score control.
People are thinking "oh noes, they are afraid of the scorez", when what is going on here is the exact opposite.

The sites that are on hold are not only the biggest MS shills, they also have a large weight on the metacritic average. They are "waiting for their copy" while MS sees how the metacritic average evolves, so that they can later give that final push to boost the average up. The "didn't get our copy, woe is me" drama is just convenient clickbait to draw more attention to the inevitable 11/10s when they come.

DF are the exception, because they are needed to push their usual lies about performance and technical prowess.
By your estimation. what are the chances that @Kingthrash is getting a copy?

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
CAN PEOPLE STOP USING THAT GOD DAMN EXPRESSION AROUND HERE.
Yes, that hurts the fish people's feelings!

Suspicious Penguin GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022

5 point scales are stupid. Wannabe movie critics

It's 2023, everything gets consolidated on to a 100 point scale on Metacritic which is the defacto reference point for reviews now

The thing is all these sites used to use 10 or 100 point scales and it worked fine

Movie reviewers are the ones who have traditionally used a 5 point scale, and it's fine there because it's a standard. In movies you know a 4 or 80 is really good. For gaming the 9 has been the signal of really good

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
5 point scales are stupid. Wannabe movie critics

It's 2023, everything gets consolidated on to a 100 point scale on Metacritic which is the defacto reference point for reviews now

The thing is all these sites used to use 10 or 100 point scales and it worked fine

Movie reviewers are the ones who have traditionally used a 5 point scale, and it's fine there because it's a standard. In movies you know a 4 or 80 is really good. For gaming the 9 has been the signal of really good
Remember when the push a few years ago was to not have any number ratings at all? Some sites stopped numbered reviews back then but recently went back to them. As If that was doing any justice to ppl interested in meta avgs.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I don't know why they even bother playing the game for their score, push them to Metacritic already :

Jez Corden - Windows Central
"The scale, the scope, nuff said"
10/10

Tom Warren - The Verge
"At first I was scared at all the scope, but thankfully they sprinkled in some scale too"
10/10

Stevivor
"A lot of simulated walking, but at least not a Sony walking simulator."
10/10

Takashi Mochizuki - Bloomberg
"Not available on a Sony device"
10/10

Colt Eastwood
"Mr Spencer was so nice to me"
10/10

Last edited:

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
The whole not giving review codes to sites that are well known only add to a bigger microscope for Starfield. I think this game's success will be dependent on what the rest of the community say once everybody gets their hands on it. It needs to hit right away with the community or else it'll be lost in the shuffle with other WRPGs in the midst of Baldur's Gate 3 massive success and with Phantom Liberty right around the corner after Starfield. Halo Infinite and Cyberpunk received high scores but their Metacritic score became mere after thought immediately when everybody got their hands on the games.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I don't know why they even bother playing the game for their score, push them to Metacritic already :

Jez Corden - Windows Central
"The scale, the scope, nuff said"
10/10

Tom Warren - The Verge
"At first I was scared at all the scope, but thankfully they sprinkled in some scale too"
10/10

Stevivor
"A lot of simulated walking, but at least not a Sony walking simulator."
10/10

Takashi Mochizuki - Bloomberg
"Not available on a Sony device"
10/10

Colt Eastwood
"Mr Spencer was so nice to me"
10/10

Just to throw some more options:

"Biggest scope game of all time"