(Analyst speculation, not official announcement) Sony cuts production of PSVR2 headsets by ~20%

OP
OP
Remij

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Maybe you'll read it with pictures you'll 'use your brain':

image.png

And notice the part highlighted in blue:
image.png

Yes, it was officially debunked some weeks ago.
No, it wasn't debunked.

The bloomberg guy said that Sony started production of the PSVR2 with a projection of 2 million headsets. There's no confirmation from Sony anywhere that they were producing 2M headsets.. so both could be true. The bloomberg article was about projections.. They might not have internally been targeting 2 million headsets... meaning that Sony's statement that they didn't cut production could remain true... but were still coming under the projected numbers out in the public.

That's what Sony can do... since they never stated any hard number.. It didn't debunk anything.

But NOW... we have ANOTHER analyst who is now claiming that Sony is cutting production... and Sony has yet to refute this. It's not the same source as before.. it's another source... which lends credence to the reality that this device is not hitting the numbers Sony expected.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I agree, but Gaben seems too busy counting bucks.
Flash some money in front of Gaben and he would bite. Sony should offer to port and publish it.

If Valve refused it fine. I get the impression Sony didn't bother with it just like they didn't bother with an Astro Bot port or VR versions of their games that already work great with just VR mods on PC like God of War.

Sony clearly isn't on top of their game when it comes to supporting VR and it is a shame.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

You guys need to accept and admit that the PSVR2 ain't selling anywhere close to what Sony was hoping for. In Canada these things aren't selling.. Nobody is going to pay$700+ for this tethered shit, especially when it doesn't have a killer app like Half Life: Alyx.
This is non news and already posted few weeks ago. It's redundant now. Other post was from another "analyst" which is why I didbt bother to post when I saw it awhile ago.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Maybe you'll read it with pictures you'll 'use your brain':

image.png

And notice the part highlighted in blue:
image.png

Yes, it was officially debunked some weeks ago.
Its called lying, dude, game companies do it habitually.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The only thing worse than Xbox fans are the anti-VR crowd (that are usually Xbox fans as well I guess since Xbox has no VR solution despite promising it).

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I don't understand how people can say it's debunked when Sony debunked the first rumor prior to launch and now it's been over a month since launch.
It's perfectly possible the sales trajectory isn't going as well as Sony hoped. That said only a 20% cut means that the stories that psvr2 only sold <300k during launch window are probably false. It probably undersold projections a little but not that badly.

To be honest I think they handled the PSVR2 launch badly, with a bunch of critical bugs shipping with the hardware, and very little marketing. Also for some reason reviewers didn't mention Gt7 and re8 as launch games. That should have been in the press info packet as a talking point.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don't understand how people can say it's debunked when Sony debunked the first rumor prior to launch and now it's been over a month since launch.
It's perfectly possible the sales trajectory isn't going as well as Sony hoped. That said only a 20% cut means that the stories that psvr2 only sold <300k during launch window are probably false. It probably undersold projections a little but not that badly.
It sold around that in Feb Circana (week launch).

Accessories $212 million.

50% PSVR2: 193k
60% PSVR2: 232k
70% PSVR2: 270k
80% PSVR2: 309k
90% PSVR2: 348k
100% PSVR2: 386k

We have Spain up to March 26: 11k
If you have 10 countries in Europe selling similar to Spain you have 110k already... and UK, Gemary and France sells way more than Spain.

270k worldwide for end of March makes no sense at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yurinka and arvfab

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It sold around that in Feb Circana (week launch).

Accessories $212 million.

50% PSVR2: 193k
60% PSVR2: 232k
70% PSVR2: 270k
80% PSVR2: 309k
90% PSVR2: 348k
100% PSVR2: 386k

We have Spain up to March 26: 11k
If you have 10 countries in Europe selling similar to Spain you have 110k already... and UK, Gemary and France sells way more than Spain.

270k worldwide for end of March makes no sense at all.
My sales personal bet is:
  • Feb 2023 (basically launch week): 500K worldwide
  • Mar 2023: 500K worldwide
  • Apr 2023-Mar 2024: between 1M and 1.5M worldwide
So in around 14 months instead of the 2M of PSVR1 it would sell between 2 and 2.5M. We also have to consider that -I may be wrong- but I think PSVR1 was released with more PS4s in the market than PS5s were sold when PSVR2 was released.

Sony clearly isn't on top of their game when it comes to supporting VR and it is a shame.
Not sure if you realized that they released with Horizon, GT and RE, it has like almost 200 games announced or released and this only has been in the market for less than a couple months.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 417
24 Jun 2022
No, it wasn't debunked.

The bloomberg guy said that Sony started production of the PSVR2 with a projection of 2 million headsets. There's no confirmation from Sony anywhere that they were producing 2M headsets.. so both could be true. The bloomberg article was about projections.. They might not have internally been targeting 2 million headsets... meaning that Sony's statement that they didn't cut production could remain true... but were still coming under the projected numbers out in the public.

That's what Sony can do... since they never stated any hard number.. It didn't debunk anything.

But NOW... we have ANOTHER analyst who is now claiming that Sony is cutting production... and Sony has yet to refute this. It's not the same source as before.. it's another source... which lends credence to the reality that this device is not hitting the numbers Sony expected.

And what numbers did Sony expect? AFAIK, they never gave a forecast for PSVR units for the fiscal year in a report, let alone a fiscal quarter.

The way some of you want PSVR2 to fail so hard is so weird, like you have a fetish for its failure. When really, VR & AR are the only things probably guaranteed to keep the console market for dedicated console hardware, relevant past the next decade.

Though IMHO, this tech won't become mainstream until it is a default part of the console gaming experience, not some peripheral you have to pay extra for on top of the console itself. Until that happens, it will never really reach mass-market adaption rates. I think Sony are in the best position out of the Big 3 to make such a console for 10th-gen; outside of them it would be Apple but they don't have the 1P software and nowhere near the gaming software experience industry-wise that Sony has.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Should have released it on the PC too. Would have been a guaranteed success.

Just like all the Sony first party games on the PC.

Talk about wanting something to do badly in the hope it comes to PC.

These PCMR are something else.

OP
OP
Remij

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Should have released it on the PC too. Would have been a guaranteed success.

Just like all the Sony first party games on the PC.

Talk about wanting something to do badly in the hope it comes to PC.

These PCMR are something else.
This is really how you guys live your life huh.. :LOL:

Sony fanbitches talk so much shit when it comes to Xbox, but the minute anyone says anything about something Playstation not doing well yall get in your feelings..

Shit is hilarious! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Remij

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
That's a new one to me.
You know you sound like you are 12 years old at times and others you talk like an adult.
But let's be real.. Sony fanboys bitch a lot about Xbox... and people supposedly begging for their games.

What else can you reasonably say about those specific people? That's not to say all Playstation fans are like that.. just the ones who constantly bitch and whine. You literally can't say anything about Sony without these people whining.. and yet all they do is talk shit about Xbox and PC all day 🤷‍♂️

avenovah

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
But let's be real.. Sony fanboys bitch a lot about Xbox... and people supposedly begging for their games.

What else can you reasonably say about those specific people? That's not to say all Playstation fans are like that.. just the ones who constantly bitch and whine. You literally can't say anything about Sony without these people whining.. and yet all they do is talk shit about Xbox and PC all day 🤷‍♂️

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming

You can say the exact same thing about people that are fans of anything.
If you as a person is a fan of something, Anything. You will defend it.
Be it Microsoft, Xbox, PC, Laptops, Sony, PlayStation, Nintendo, ApplePhones, AppleMacs, LG, Samsung, Football, Soccer, Basketball......
So even if you think it is above you, turning around and insulting people even if it is just to be a troll, I ask you why?
If you don't agree with someone argue the point, If you are unable to get your point across right or wrong why interact further?
Acting below yourself is adding fuel to the replies you will get.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
This is really how you guys live your life huh.. :LOL:

Sony fanbitches talk so much shit when it comes to Xbox, but the minute anyone says anything about something Playstation not doing well yall get in your feelings..

Shit is hilarious! :ROFLMAO:
I kinda funny you crusade to paint psvr2 as failure. Because you know if it's a success xbox that is already a failure will look even worst next to ps5 + psvr2