Apparently Concord Cost Sony 400 million and was internally championed as future of playstation

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Anyone believing 400m is showing how fucking idiotic they are. It was a commercial failure but 400m? Come on.

Reactions: Muddasar

Zeno

28 Jun 2023
For people that don’t believe the $400 million dev cost: Didn’t we recently have a reports that Firewalk is among the priciest per head cost among all PS studios?

Wouldn’t it make sense then that the dev cost would be high in this case?

Given the partnership with Amazon and „Secret Level“ I definitely believe that Sony thought this would be a Starwars level franchise.

Acquiring them 1/2 years before the release even adds to that.

I definitely believe that the total dev cost + acquisition will be near half a billion dollars as to just 100-200 million.

I hope Jason Schreier can shine some light on that someday.

24 Jun 2022
Well if the numbers are true which I doubt you can bet Sony’s gamble on GaaS is over.

No way Sony Corp will continue bankrolling these duds for Hermen and Co.

Yeah there is always the likelihood the number is false, just like the one that ex-Microsoft executive threw out (why would a Microsoft exec know about Concord's budget unless that were sealed info disclosed in the ABK court hearings? And if that's the case aren't they breaking the law by mentioning it publicly?).

However, at this point I'd say there's a 50/50 chance it's true or false. Which is worrying; last gen there'd be a 0% chance of it being true whatsoever. How the hell did we go from 0% to 50% in the span of one generation (a few years, even, at that)?

• they're_right_you_know

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Anyone believing 400m is showing how fucking idiotic they are. It was a commercial failure but 400m? Come on.

Had tv show coming special for this game, even have special edition custom controller and others cancelled stuff

Obv they intend to go big with this game

Reactions: toadsage44

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Had tv show coming special for this game, even have special edition custom controller and other stuff

Obv they intend to go big with this game
The show was cancelled. That's not money lost as companies can write projects that don't release off.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Yeah there is always the likelihood the number is false, just like the one that ex-Microsoft executive threw out (why would a Microsoft exec know about Concord's budget unless that were sealed info disclosed in the ABK court hearings? And if that's the case aren't they breaking the law by mentioning it publicly?).

However, at this point I'd say there's a 50/50 chance it's true or false. Which is worrying; last gen there'd be a 0% chance of it being true whatsoever. How the hell did we go from 0% to 50% in the span of one generation (a few years, even, at that)?

The fact that many GaaS games have been cancelled tells me the all out foray into GaaS is over.

The only ones left are Fairgames, Marathon, NetEase Horizon game and the game being made by the COD veteran.

Apart from FairGames I reckon the other 3 will do just fine.

Let your premier Single Player studios focus on Single player games. What they are best at.

Say goodbye to Firewalk. This game has tainted their studio and they aren’t coming back from it no matter what.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Anyone who thinks Concord was 400M has little knowledge about game budgets.
Especially since we know they were only a dozens or so employees back in 2019 and released this game in 2024.

Spider-Man 2 cost SIE 350M to make and market and they had to pay the very hefty licensing cost to Marvel.
Concord had has way less credits in the name than other big tentpotle SIE projects, its main dev team is also smaller.
Concord also did not have the same marketing budget as the other tentpole games.

That figure is either completely bogus or includes the acquisition cost, which is relevant but seperate to how the game cost to release.

• they're_right_you_know

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Na that concord episode is still on, I really think Sony thought they had their own overwatch here
LMAO, everyone who thought that needs to be fired. Seriously, you're not cut out for this job. Sony used to be able to recognize great game and now they don't. Get some of the old management back in.

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
Wanna hear a joke? Hermen Hulst
4x.webp

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I have to push back on this about Hermen being the one to go multiplat.

Sean Layden has said in the WUPS podcast that the PC strat was his idea, he is the one that opened Pandora's box and timeline aligns he also stated that GaaS was an inevitable model they would pursue (metric based). Also it's obvious that the California centric management has happened and shifted under his reign.

Concord being 400? If we go about headcount of 150 and above avg salary in California 200k: that would mean 30 mill a year in operating costs. We know they had a partnership in 2021 and acquired them last year. Even if they funded the whole 8 years, no way.
So that means they had to spend 300 mill in acquiring them but apparently Colin states this is wo acquisition. That would mean they got insane salaries but I doubt it.

Hatefield

I am the law
18 Jun 2024
For that horrendous milestone herman hulst is officially worse than phil spencer but maybe thats a conversation for another day
Nah, it is a conversation for now. He is not even a year into being a boss and already lost 400 million, but also made them loose a million in refunds. He is definitely worse then phil, cause Phil at least tries to fix the mess from the last guy. Hulst is destroying what Jim made.

Reactions: Airbus

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Na that concord episode is still on, I really think Sony thought they had their own overwatch here
Are we claiming that episode costs over 200m? Considering in the same anthology series there is an episode on Spelunky? Did the Spelunky episode cost 200m too?

The number is BS but people with a axe to grind are clinging to it like it's fact. Worst case scenario we can't reach 400m.