Astro Bot Director rules out PSVR2 version but wants to hear from fans about potential PC version

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
The thing is I bet this is a directive from corporate to increase margins or else. fuck the current Sony leadership
They are suddenly not going to sell 2-3 million copies on steam launch lol. The zero dawn and GoW 2018 ports barely sold 2-3 million with half of them on discounts, add in the 30% steam cut and I am left scratching my head whether a few millions are worth alienating your core fanbase.

These people want more of the 1 or 2 games per year customers than the 10+ game buying customers I guess. Their first party single player games are not even doing that hot, every sequel has been worse than the predecessor

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
Lol people crying about PC ports but it doesn't matter. Sony boxes still sell a lot. It's at the same pace or better then the PS4, despite PC ports. So Sony is going to continue to give the PC guys the goodies. I expect day and date by next gen

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Same but something needs to be done
It'd take millions of people in a coordinated "strike" to stop buying their products and voice their displeasure on social media.

These companies look at nothing but numbers. So far, the numbers are showing they're doing great. Once those numbers start going down is when they'll react.

The question is, will it be too late by then.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It'd take millions of people in a coordinated "strike" to stop buying their products and voice their displeasure on social media.

These companies look at nothing but numbers. So far, the numbers are showing they're doing great. Once those numbers start going down is when they'll react.

The question is, will it be too late by then.

Then you would have to do both.
Because Im guessing this will have some numbers and without a direct message they might just think people dont want Platformers. And we dont want that lol

Apart from Helldivers 2 and maybe God of War, the PC numbers arent doing amazing. There overall not the fanbase for those SP player games they have ported

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sure but cancelling = No future Astrobot games and no incentive for Sony to invest in quirkier games.

Low PC sales will force Sony to react at some point (i hope lol)

Yep
We need more Astrobot and platformers. Im hoping this brings back something like Jak n Daxter/ Sly Cooper.

Thats why I said petition with a direct message.
PC ports apart from a few games havent sold close to PS numbers. And the sales is split with valve the platformer holder.

Reactions: SuperPotato

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
Then you would have to do both.
Because Im guessing this will have some numbers and without a direct message they might just think people dont want Platformers. And we dont want that lol

Apart from Helldivers 2 and maybe God of War, the PC numbers arent doing amazing. There overall not the fanbase for those SP player games they have ported

Only Helldivers 2 did great. God of war and Ghost of Tsushima did decent numbers but nowhere close to PS sales. Everything else is very low and Concord flopped harder than Redfall and Hellblade 2.

Not saying the game is a big hit on console but the PS5 numbers are quite a bit higher than on Steam.

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I don't think the market is there for platformers are that price point on Steam. The Steam userbase is used to a gazillion very high quality platformers/metroidvania for cheap via indies since the early 2010s. Plus, the whole PS history is one of the hooks for this game and that'll only work on PlayStation.

Heck, I'm still a bit sad that the mascot platformer genre took a nosedive even on PlayStation through the years as PS has conditioned and nurtured its playerbase into the whole prestige games at the expense of "lesser" genres.
Overall, I really hope this game does well on PS5.

Reactions: Kokoloko
24 Jun 2022
Are you talking about that big thread here and on Neogaf? It was @Heisenberg007

Yeah, that was him. Tho these days I'm more interested in the contradictions SIE have been going about with, which are numerous.

The lip service in this thread's OP being just the latest example. I have to wonder how complicit SIE are in the background just silently cooperating with Microsoft on this BS narrative-fed future of multiplatformism to be so-called "pro-consumer".

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I'm already preordered the deluxe on PS5 but I'm tempted to cancel the preorder so I can leave customer support with a message for them to actually value their platform

I too am tempted, I had pre-ordered both physical and the digital ones, Thinking of cancelling both. I am sure they will be "excited to hear about money" instead of actually getting it.
I know that Sony doesn't care about their platform anymore but I'm still getting it to support Team Asobi. So many people are still crying about Japan Studio. We don't want the same thing to happen.

Astrobot looks amazing 😁

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
He shuts down PSVR but wants to "hear" from PC players.

This pretty much confirms that a PC port is in the works but it's too early to announce. At this point everything will end up on PC.
When a PS ip is not available on PS4 or PSVR2 but available on PC/Steam 2 direct competitor that aren’t diminishing there platform nor porting there own exclusive to PS. Lmao what a joke. This will be available on the best gaming platform w a better ecosystem then PS yup that’s Steam & Steamdeck for just $500 if not lower allows you to play PS4 & PS5 games + PC exclusive + Steam exclusive + Xbox games + mobile games/emulation

Expect Astro Bot to be ported to Switch 1 & Switch 2. PS is Nintendo & Steams bitch lol. Crazy how Sony & PS leadership position PS to be another Xbox. In time they will see the diminishment I mean your already seeing it with Japanese publisher releasing games day n date on PC & theylll eventually release day n date on Switch 2 & possibly skip out on PS if PS platform & storefront see diminishment or PS no longer has exclusive to drive customers while Nintendo replaces PS with the power gap closed & Nintendo having permanent exclusive ensuring publishers, indy & Nintendo fans that the Nintendo console will never be diminish

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
So you can own it physically and play it easily on a TV in your living room.
Probably play it offline too if sony continues to be gung-ho about PSN requirements on PC.
Plus you don't have to worry about having the right specs or configuring the settings.
You can do everything you said about a PS console with a Steamdeck for the same price of not lower (hardware wise) + all the Pc benefits that PS doesn’t have & at a cheaper & better ecosystem

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
It would be a nice addition but other games are more of a priority. Sack boy is the worst PC port in terms of sales, to have a reference.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Worst part is PC players will not support this game just like they didn't support Sackboy or Ratchet
These games don’t do good on PC. PC players like online live service games or singleplayer coop rpg that blend w online

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Absolute cartoons, Another reason to cancel the pre-order, I will give them the 40$ they want so much with their pc port
& Sony ask themselves how they lost Capcom, Sega, Square Enix exclusive. FF, Persona, Yakuza, Street Fighter/MH all gone. Why if your one of these publisher do exclusive deals when PS themselves aren’t doing exclusive for there first party.

This is also probably the reason PS has gone dry for 2 years since 2023 & 2024 only 1 singleplayer game & that will likely change in 2025. Also likely Cory Barlog game which been in development for 6+ still hasn’t been reveal they probably working on the PC port so it comes out I 1 year.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
You can do everything you said about a PS console with a Steamdeck for the same price of not lower (hardware wise) + all the Pc benefits that PS doesn’t have & at a cheaper & better ecosystem
Steam Deck is equivalent in power to a PS4 and its battery goes down quickly if you run anything AAA. It's also a Linux machine, so anyone wanting to get emulation and other computer specific features setup in Desktop Mode will have to learn to use the terminal, which is just not a user friendly experience for the casual player.

I own a Steam Deck. Love it even. But your average person is not going to find it to be a suitable replacement for the simplicity of a console. It also still has all of the same problems in terms of worrying about specs and fiddling with the setting