billbil_kun: Horizon Forbidden West will soon be available on PC

24 Jun 2022
A PS5 is a low->midrange PC. It has very few distinctive architectural features from my desktop PC with Ryzen 5600 and RX 6700 inside. It's not a "burden" to maintain a PC build, and many games do this anyway because PCs are more accessible than console devkits.

You don't get it. First off, your 6700 doesn't have cache scrubbers in it. It and your CPU aren't integrated into a CPU and have a hUMA memory architecture. Your system doesn't have the PS5's data I/O subsystem. And it doesn't use Sony's API libraries (neither the high-end or low-end versions).

Plus the vast majority of PC gamers out there have builds weaker than a PS5. So if a company like Sony wanted to target as large a PC audience Day 1 as possible, they'd have to scope their games to not be ambitious at a level where scaling down to much weaker PC setups becomes impossible.

Which in turn hurts the degree their 1P games can push the PS5 hardware.

Microsoft's PC support is the only good thing they're doing, so it's weird to point at that as The Problem With Xbox. Xbox's whole operation is a mess.

MS treats PC better than Xbox console owners, which is why Xbox consoles have been struggling to sell. It's why Phil Spencer went crying on X-Cast about Xbox struggling to find an identity.

They wouldn't have that problem, or certain various optimization problems with their games on console (Starfield being the latest example) if they didn't enforce Day 1 PC versions of all their games.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sony generated 250 million dollars in Fy 2023 for their PC releases. At best, this amount can only fund one AAA game. I ask people here on this forum: how is this not chump change.
50 millions from the ports, which is nothing.

The rest was Destiny and it's irrelevant here. It's like saying Fate Grand Order is paying for TLOU3.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
There's a PS5, a PS3, and a Desktop Steam box connected to my TV. Why do you care if I play God of War on my PC or my PS5?
I don't, because it's out already.

What I care about is the idea that there is no detrimental impact to day and date console/PC releases from first parties. The consistent quality of Sony's (and Nintendo's) games are bolstered by having one platform (or very similar platforms i.e. PS4/5) to focus on, and the budget they can afford them comes from the walled garden approach they've taken.

So my serious response to your wish for a day and date release is that even if it doesn't lead to a drop in quality now, it will in the future, if not for the Horizon franchise, then for other titles.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I don't, because it's out already.

What I care about is the idea that there is no detrimental impact to day and date console/PC releases from first parties. The consistent quality of Sony's (and Nintendo's) games are bolstered by having one platform (or very similar platforms i.e. PS4/5) to focus on, and the budget they can afford them comes from the walled garden approach they've taken.

So my serious response to your wish for a day and date release is that even if it doesn't lead to a drop in quality now, it will in the future, if not for the Horizon franchise, then for other titles.
it'll make them better engineers and more successful. you can't compare Nintendo's technical crudeness with Playstation's.

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke
D

Deleted member 223

The slow damage to the brand continues in a warped drive to maximize shareholder value with all else being equal assumptions of the competitive environment. Can only end one way, sooner or later. For those in the current rotating chairs, it's going to be long after their time is up. Corps love to mess with good things, specially when they become full of themselves in thinking they can shape the market however they wish due to their secured market leadership positions - that is where it always starts. Time immortal behavior patterns. Another time immortal behavior pattern is caretaker leadership shaking up fundamental business philosophies - shaky record, sometimes it works, sometimes it fails spectacularly. Impetus is always clear however, to break with established orthodoxy. Usually a problem when there are career incentive motivations behind this drive as well (the "leave my mark" types).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Directly on the PC slide from Sony it said Destiny but the articles didn't mention it because they're all port beggars and they want Sony to lose more exclusives.
savew345.PNG

Yeah, rest of it seems like is coming from Destiny and other PC releases like Horizon and Days Gone. It is very likely HZD only made 40-50 million dollars which is not that much

Attachments

• savew345.PNG
    savew345.PNG
    557.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
Sony generated 250 million dollars in Fy 2023 for their PC releases. At best, this amount can only fund one AAA game. I ask people here on this forum: how is this not chump change.
No offense, but only a very disconnected person would call a quarter billion "chump change".

It's absolutely not chump change in any way shape or form.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
View attachment 2260

Yeah it is coming from Destiny and other PC releases like Horizon and Days Gone. It is very likely HZD only made 40-50 million dollars which is not that much
Why did you cut the slide? It says all Destiny PC revenue for 2022 is included in the 250m.

Destiny was huge last year with the highest CCU ever on Steam and a new expansion. They paid 3 billions to make those 200 millions revenue. Even if they had zero ports they would still make it.

GOW, Spider-Man and Horizon will stay the biggest sellers on PC. Everything else flopped, good luck making more than 50 millions with the rest.

HFW will never sell more than HZD on PC. It was like a novelty. It's over.

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
Microsoft's PC support is the only good thing they're doing, so it's weird to point at that as The Problem With Xbox. Xbox's whole operation is a mess.
Literally the only thing that generates any kind of strong revenue or hype for them is their PC output.

Their problem isn't them doing PC versions, it's that they are doing it day and date, which has cannibalized Xbox sales. Sony has delays to all their ports, but the amount varies by strategic import, and certain things don't get PC versions at all.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Literally the only thing that generates any kind of strong revenue or hype for them is their PC output.

Their problem isn't them doing PC versions, it's that they are doing it day and date, which has cannibalized Xbox sales. Sony has delays to all their ports, but the amount varies by strategic import, and certain things don't get PC versions at all.
no, xbox was in disaster mode long before they started putting their games on PC day and date. and I would not want to see the Starfield sales numbers if they hadn't started publishing on Steam. Playstation is not getting the full impact of PC sales because they're releasing 2 year old games at full price.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
No offense, but only a very disconnected person would call a quarter billion "chump change".

It's absolutely not chump change in any way shape or form.
Keep in mind they paid Bungie 3.6 billions so they can add that 200 millions under their "PC revenue" for FY22. It's getting reinvested in Bungie anyway, you're not getting Ico 3 or more Gravity Rush.