BOMBA: After 3 days of sales, Hellblade 2 is already out of the top 50 on Steam (#54). CCU lower than Hellblade 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
All examples Im seeing is how well software is selling on PC, like CapCom games. Otherwise, there's very little platform split out there from devs and pubs.

Also, if SP games was bombing on PC, I would assume companies would drop releasing on PC, instead they are pushing for it.

Like how Square just made a very big deal of Kingdom Hearts coming to Steam.
They don't even drop support for Xbox... they just bet more and more on GaaS and games with at least some online component as these do much better on PC.

klomzi

8 Mar 2024
They don't even drop support for Xbox... they just bet more and more on GaaS and games with at least some online component as these do much better on PC.

Well they seems to have started considering it according to Chris Ding and some may already have skipped it. And there is more and more indies that are skipping it.

Still, I want the numbers you have that I can't find.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
I feel for these devs. They probably thought they'd get a ton of support with Xbox in scaling up, marketing, making this into a big scale project

Unfortunately Xbox have no vision, leadership, zero idea how to make a developer successful and the Ninja Theory saw the writing on the wall and abandoned ship

They will be closed in a few months. Maybe if their CEO stuck around they could weather the storm but that's two bombs in a row and all Xbox care about now is COD sales

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
HELLBOMBA: After 7 years of development, the sequel of Hellbimbo was finally released this week and it was a resounding failure. The game is already out of the Top 50 on Steam before the first weekend even starts (#54) 😬

View attachment 5141

The CCU of 3,982 on the first day will be the peak. Hellblade 1 had a peak of 5,653 and it was released as an indie with no marketing budget....7 years ago 😬

Of course, this was all predicted by myself before release but I was laughed at by our resident xbot @Infinity .

View attachment 5142
Nene Leakes GIF

What's next for Ninja Theory? Are we getting a port or this is the end for them? Please vote.

I laughed because you said close ninja theory you fool. Studios shutting down is no good. Take off your fanboy goggles.

• fire

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Well they seems to have started considering it according to Chris Ding and some may already have skipped it. And there is more and more indies that are skipping it.

Still, I want the numbers you have that I can't find.
If you can't find them that is your problem.

• fire

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I laughed because you said close ninja theory you fool. Studios shutting down is no good. Take off your fanboy goggles.
Buy two copies of Hellblade 2 then, this is not a charity. They sold themselves to MS, nobody owes them anything.
I feel for these devs. They probably thought they'd get a ton of support with Xbox in scaling up, marketing, making this into a big scale project

Unfortunately Xbox have no vision, leadership, zero idea how to make a developer successful and the Ninja Theory saw the writing on the wall and abandoned ship

They will be closed in a few months. Maybe if their CEO stuck around they could weather the storm but that's two bombs in a row and all Xbox care about now is COD sales
If that was their read they are extremely incompetent I knew they were going to go third party the moment they bought Bethesda, Xbox could never sustain that, I even got banned from boards for saying their games would all release on PlayStation soon.

• fire

klomzi

8 Mar 2024
If you can't find them that is your problem.

Nope, it's yours, it was your statement, it's up to you to prove that your statement isn't a tale from your ass, so I take it that SP games doesn't bomb on PC.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
With the exception of games like BG3, Cyberpunk and the likes clearly aimed at the PC audience single player only games always bomb on PC.
Just a correction. BG3 isn't single player only. It has coop.
As for single player games not selling well on steam, that's not strictly true.

To sell well on steam, your single player narrative game has to have high replayability and dollar to hour ratio. (Also a bunch of cutscenes padding out runtime doesn't help if it's unskippable)
For example, Hades sold relatively well on Steam.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Single players games sell very well on Steam, just not at launch, they sell gangbusters for capcom at the steam sales for sure. If you want day 1 gangbuster sales on steam it either has to be a cheap 30-40$ survival game or an open world rpg that you can play for 2-300 hrs. The major traffic for Steam comes from eastern europe, russia, sea, china and south america and the weirdo hentai crowd

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Just a correction. BG3 isn't single player only. It has coop.
As for single player games not selling well on steam, that's not strictly true.

To sell well on steam, your single player narrative game has to have high replayability and dollar to hour ratio. (Also a bunch of cutscenes padding out runtime doesn't help if it's unskippable)
Forgot about that, even BG3 isnt an example of single player only games doing well on PC.

I'm talking about AAA games, the market for indies and games that don't demand powerful hardware is very diferent.

PC players using japanese publishers as a way to prove there's a strong market on PC have completelly lost it, without consoles all of those publishers would close their doors.

• Heart
Reactions: The Icon

klomzi

8 Mar 2024

We have no clue how much Hades sold on Steam, but based on the high amount of user reviews, I would assume it sold many millions of copies.
PC players using japanese publishers as a way to prove there's a strong market on PC have completelly lost it, without consoles all of those publishers would close their doors.

1) Right now, there is actually an Japan indie event happening and these devs are going all in on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/indieliveexpo2024

2) Lots of Japanese pubs are going all in on Steam. Even SEGA stated a while ago that if they were not allowed to put the Judgment games on PC, they would abandon the IP. Atlus going all in on Steam lately. Square too.

And btw, PS5 and Xbox software is selling awful in Japan, it's all about Nintendo when it comes to software. Both Rebirth and FF XVI failed to meet expectations and they are PS5 exclusive atm.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
ps5 version is coming im sure of it after this results
I wouldn't be so sure actually. Might be more prudent for them to simply bury this game rather than go through the expense of a port, just to have no one on PS5 buy it either.

• sad
Reactions: Pogo

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
We have no clue how much Hades sold on Steam, but based on the high amount of user reviews, I would assume it sold many millions of copies.

1) Right now, there is actually an Japan indie event happening and these devs are going all in on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/indieliveexpo2024

2) Lots of Japanese pubs are going all in on Steam. Even SEGA stated a while ago that if they were not allowed to put the Judgment games on PC, they would abandon the IP. Atlus going all in on Steam lately. Square too.

And btw, PS5 and Xbox software is selling awful in Japan, it's all about Nintendo when it comes to software. Both Rebirth and FF XVI failed to meet expectations and they are PS5 exclusive atm.
Yea, it's probably at least 3-4m

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I think it's quite a lot more. Nowadays it seems like 16k reviews might be around 1 million copies, or at least 20k reviews. Hades has almost 240k reviews.
Nahh, the review rate varies by game. With a popular game like hades a lot of people will want to voice their opinion. For example we know that helldivers 2 has a bit over 12 million copies sold across pc and console, with pc being around 60% of that. So that's ~7-8m on pc. Yet it has 850k reviews on steam.

• fire

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
And yet - so many journalists gave this game 10/10 or 9/10 ….. odd.

Xbox defenders said the same thing about Starfield and Redfall. And look at both games now. Crazy how Team Xbox flip-flops when it is convenient.
Redfall no longer getting updates. Starfield is barely limping along, and I guarantee you, Todd Howard is NOT happy (you know, because of his huge ego).

Status
Not open for further replies.