Breaking: Concord is shutting down on September 6, full refunds. (Update: Servers Now Closed)

Englishy

6 Jun 2024
Catastrophic failure. It joins E.T., Dai Katana, Superman 64, and Too Human as one of the biggest flops in the history of gaming.

I predict three things are going to happen:

1) Multiple first-party studios, including the 'elite' ones like Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch, are going to get hit with layoffs. Whatever money they lost on Concord will be made (back) by terminating a bunch of people who make 6-figures.

2) FairGame$ will be canceled.

3) The PC push will be under review. I think Sony -- and not PlayStation -- are going to be more invested in the Switch 2 than the PC. There's far too much risk in abandoning the console space.

I suspected that the co-CEO'ing of PlayStation was done in order to have the ability to stop the western leadership from burning shiploads of cash. I 100% believe this is what we're witnessing; a slow, strategic elimination of any and all western leadership over PlayStation. I fully expect the Japanese side of PlayStation to take complete control of the business within the next 2-3 years. As ridiculous as it sounds, the success of titles like Stellar Blade and Wukong are going to fuel significantly higher investment in eastern titles and significantly lower investment in western titles. Crazy times ahead.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony had a project with TLOU Online, which had a good base in the form of TLOU1 MP experience and people who were really looking forward to it.

But they canceled it, under the pretext that ND does not want to fully support such a project, although they could have formed a separate studio for this purpose...

And in this situation, it's frustrating that ND, Gorilla, and Insomoniac are free to influence the decisions of Sony's management, and they constantly get carrots, while others get only sticks.

Yep.
Im still disappointed TLOU Factions 2 was cancelled though

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
This forum gonna be dull as fuck for many now after this week 🤣... What will they get their rocks off to daily now?

But surely I expect the Astrobot OT thread to be a huge success and seeing all the gamers here enjoying it... Right?

Let's see if it surpasses the Concord OT 🤭

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think you see a lot of anti-GaaS comments recently towards Sony (including me), because the SP output has been pretty thin for a while. So people have the perception that Sony is putting all their eggs in one basket.

I agree. If Sony showed some more of there SP projects from the main studios people would be alot happier. Why its a dumb strategy to not show more stuff from far out.

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
remember: Killzone, Resistance, PlayStation Home, PlayStation AllStars Battle Royale were all multiplayer games that PlayStation fans loved, Sony went the GAAs way thinking more about PC players than their own community, they're now facing billions of dollars in loss thanks to this GAAs strategy.
Sony shouldve gave killzone and resistance ip to other ps studio if insomniac and guerella games doesnt want to make those games anymore

Those two ip are more interesting than concord

Reactions: Etifilio and arvfab

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
You know the character designs and wokism is what turned people off.

this! thats why the studio isnt done for, i hope sony is smart enough to don't axe a whole talented studio bc the character design department and some decisions fumbled the bag

• Shake
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
the hate towards the game was mainly coming from the PC audience... just like the Helldivers 2 controversy was coming from the PC audience, the juice is not worth the squeeze.

They will always be there trying to shit on PS games. Valve fanboys and ex Xbots in disguise lol

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
HOLY SHIT. Is this the first in the industry?

Good they're giving refunds.

But damn, how can a company be so out of touch? Didn't they play test this with a random audience? They would have seen this game would have been rejected by the market.

And no amount rebranding will save this. Unless they start a new game reusing some of the assets. The name alone will kill any rebranding chance it had.

Some management morons need to be fired for this. What a PR disaster but I guess Sony's an expert on those. Such a waste of time and money.

But there's one good thing that MIGHT come out of this. Maybe they reconsider this shitty GaaS push now.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Lots of wishful thinking here. As usual since 2020. PC ports are cheap and profitable.The massive bet on GaaS was always the problem.

If anything I expect Sony to ramp up the pace and dig deeper into their back catslog of legacy titles to re release. Both for PC and PS5. Nintendo does it all the time. Why wouldn't Sony.

• haha
Reactions: Etifilio and arvfab

saci

5 May 2024
image0.jpg

lol
lmao even