by sticking to the traditional model... Nintendo Switch 2 will dominate this gen

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Switch 2’s 3rd party support will be bigger than the Switch that’s for sure.
oh definetly, i can see all third party publishers adapting and porting most of their games to this new device, it'll have a more similar architecture to modern consoles like PS5 and Xbox Series, it'll have DLSS support too so developers will for sure make games for it

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Releasing mid-gen helped, but this time you have a reinvigorated handheld market that didn’t exist back then. Even Sony has Portal, and many believe Microsoft will ape the hybrid model for their next console which could also come sooner than the PS6. Individually none of these products can compete, but they’ll take a collective chunk out of the novel interest of Switch 2.

Nintendo might throw a gimmick on it to mix things up, but I have a hard time imagining what they could possibly do. A more powerful dock will just increase the price.

Personally I want an overhaul of the joycon, as that’s easily my least favorite aspect of the Switch. It just feels so unstable while in handheld mode; makes me not even want to play outside of the dock.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I already set buying it day one whatever the outcome but remember…

Wii … Wii U
DS … 3DS
SNES … N64

Nintendo is not always good with successor… I believe only NES to SNES was really successful.

• fire
Reactions: Muddasar and Evilms

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
The guy is trying to praise nintendo, to speak about it.
Not everything should be injected with competition or dick measuring.

You can speak about it and not takes shots about others, 2 aren't mutually exclusive.
"not everything should be injected with competition"....he says on a thread about "dominating" 🤦‍♂️ So now dominating has nothing to do with competition, you guys need to stop being disingenuous....
He’s just trying to talk sh**t.
Nah i'm just speaking facts.... don't shoot the messenger.

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023

Wii … Wii U
DS … 3DS
SNES … N64

Nintendo is not always good with successor… I believe only NES to SNES was really successful.
completely different generations, proposals and timings, Switch 2 will not be a failure because Nintendo found the perfect model for them, the hybrid model, all they need to do moving forward is more powerful Switch consoles every 8 years and put a number 2 or number 3 on them, they'll have more third party support than they ever had, the only really big thing they'll miss is a game like GTA 6, but even GTA 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2 will end up on Switch 2, Rockstar would be dumb to leave 100M potential userbase on the table

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022

Wii … Wii U
DS … 3DS
SNES … N64

Clearly, with Nintendo you have no guarantees.
They're capable of the best (G&W, NES, GB, GBA, DS, Wii, Switch) as well as the worst (Color TV, SNES, N64, GBC, NGC, 3DS, Wii U).

Otherwise, even the NES (61.91M) > SNES (49.1M) transition wasn't as good, they have declined from gen to gen.

the only really big thing they'll miss is a game like GTA 6, but even GTA 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2 will end up on Switch 2, Rockstar would be dumb to leave 100M potential userbase on the table

Rockstar games don't sell very well at Nintendo, for the simple reason that their audience isn't at Nintendo. The majority of R* game fans are on PlayStation and PC.
And Rockstar has already said in the past that they're not going to support GTA Online indefinitely, understandable and logical given that they're going to want to push people onto the 6th.

Then, when GTA 6 comes out, most people will move on to 6. Few people will want to stay on 5, and GTA 5 without its online component is pointless.

Maybe Rockstar might release a GTA 5 without online on SWITCH2 like RDR1 on Switch, it might make 5-10 million on it but it won't have any impact, unlike GTA 6, which will push people who are still hesitating to switch to PS5, knowing that the PC version won't be out for at least a year later.

Last edited:
Reactions: ethomaz

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Already set money apart for it and a bunch of games. Has helped that I haven't bought a game since Rebirth.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Etifilio

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I like Nintendo but lets be real, these are all going to be obvious downports and in regards to CoD, Nintendo almost certainly will have gimped online for child safety reasons.

I hope Switch 2 sends opponents into a grave (well, that they survive to keep big N honest, to be honest myself) but I wouldn't bet on it. For every rise there must be a fall.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Clearly, with Nintendo you have no guarantees.
They're capable of the best (G&W, NES, GB, GBA, DS, Wii, Switch) as well as the worst (Color TV, SNES, N64, GBC, NGC, 3DS, Wii U).

Otherwise, even the NES (61.91M) > SNES (49.1M) transition wasn't as good, they have declined from gen to gen.
Color TV outsold every other pong-clone in Japan, it was the market leader and in no sense a failure. Nintendo really was a game company back then, to achieve over a million sales in a market with under 100 million people with a new "toy" is awesome.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Color TV outsold every other pong-clone in Japan, it was the market leader and in no sense a failure. Nintendo really was a game company back then, to achieve over a million sales in a market with under 100 million people with a new "toy" is awesome.

Color TV-Game 6/15 released in june 1977 : sold 1 million units

Atari 2600 released in september 1977 : sold ~30 million units

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
completely different generations, proposals and timings, Switch 2 will not be a failure because Nintendo found the perfect model for them, the hybrid model, all they need to do moving forward is more powerful Switch consoles every 8 years and put a number 2 or number 3 on them, they'll have more third party support than they ever had, the only really big thing they'll miss is a game like GTA 6, but even GTA 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2 will end up on Switch 2, Rockstar would be dumb to leave 100M potential userbase on the table
I believe it will really pay off this time…

But I believed after Wii Nintendo will kill too… of after DS in portable scheme… they are just not reliable.

And their market is a bit different from Sony with PlayStation… it is more casual crowd that makes even more impossible to predict.

Casuals buys in the mood… it is different from hardcore that will buy it no matter what.

Edit - One example my cousin asked me to help him buy a Switch to his child two years ago… I really doubt he will buy a Switch 2 even if he child ask.

That is how you lose a casual from gen to gen.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
I can agree with that on a certain angle

Lets see where sony are heading with ps6

MrAss

24 May 2024
I don't have faith in them calling it Switch 2.
It will be something like Super Switch or Switch Next

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I am confused. I thought the thread was about Nintendo; how did it suddenly divert to Sony being in trouble so fast?

Watching You Pedro Pascal GIF by The Academy Awards

At least @Etifilio is putting some effort into disguising his doom posting; he gets a 7/10 for the effort, but yours is a 1/10 ffs.

At least wait ten minutes and allow someone else to mention Sony before you go balls deep.

Kid Spying GIF by VPRO

7/10 is being super generous...

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Sircaw

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don't have faith in them calling it Switch 2.
It will be something like Super Switch or Switch Next
I believe it won’t even have Switch in the name… seems like they learned that Wii U name made people think it was a new Wii model 😂

Just like 3DS… it was a name that make people believe it was a DS model.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

Wii … Wii U
DS … 3DS
SNES … N64

I haven't purchased a Nintendo system since the Gameboy Color, though I did play quite a bit of Gameboy Advance.

Very good chance that I buy the Switch 2 if it is BC with Switch, especially if it enhances those games, but I agree with you. They struggle to get people to buy their iterative improvements and have struggled to do so for decades. Gamecube also did worse than the N64 and N64 did worse than the SNES.

Hard to get someone to upgrade a Switch to a Switch 2 just to play Mario Kart 9 if it only looks a little bit better than Mario Kart 8 and they didn't care about graphics in the first place.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I believe it won’t even have Switch in the name… seems like they learned that Wii U name made people think it was a new Wii model 😂

Just like 3DS… it was a name that make people believe it was a DS model.

Not having Switch in the title would be a Xbox level mistake. Wii U doesn't tell people that it's a successor to the Wii.

Super Nintendo
Gameboy Advance

These were well marketed

Would be stunned if Switch isn't in the name.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Yeah. They’ll be in for a rude awakening when the most anticipated game ever will be on PS5 and not the Switch. 😂

Switch 2 could sell 30 million units in its first year and its userbase would pale in comparison to the PS5's by the end of 2025 (fy25) as a result of GTA5.

We're going to be looking at probably 90 million units on PS5.

And what's more realistic is that the Switch 2 is going to have a heavy initial price. Potentially as high as 400 dollars. That's a really tough situation to be in to attract 3rd party consumers when you're not as powerful as PS5 and the PS5 could be as cheap if not cheaper and have more games.

I can see why someone would buy a Switch 2 if they have a Switch, but not convinced that someone who has a PS4 or even an X1 who has held off on Nintendo games this whole generation is going to choose a switch 2 INSTEAD of a PS5 or XBS, maybe both, but certainly not to the exclusion of. I'll probably pick up a Switch 2, but I already have a PS5 and will be getting a PS5 Pro.

The people who want a console just to play fortnite will go for the PS5 if it is cheaper and more advanced.

Either way it's going to be a very interesting year and a half in gaming, but the doomers are going to be disappointed.

• sad
Reactions: Hezekiah and arvfab