by sticking to the traditional model... Nintendo Switch 2 will dominate this gen

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
completely different generations, proposals and timings, Switch 2 will not be a failure because Nintendo found the perfect model for them, the hybrid model, all they need to do moving forward is more powerful Switch consoles every 8 years and put a number 2 or number 3 on them, they'll have more third party support than they ever had, the only really big thing they'll miss is a game like GTA 6, but even GTA 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2 will end up on Switch 2, Rockstar would be dumb to leave 100M potential userbase on the table

No one is buying a Switch 2 for GTA5 and RDR2...

• thisistheway
Reactions: 2spooky5me
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
No one is buying a Switch 2 for GTA5 and RDR2...
not the point of the thread at all, but since you brought this... i'm sure a lot of people would absolutely LOVE to have an optimized official version of GTA 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2 to play on the go ;)

24 Jun 2022
Yeah. They’ll be in for a rude awakening when the most anticipated game ever will be on PS5 and not the Switch. 😂

GTA6 will almost 100% get a Switch 2 port, probably around or even ahead of the PC version. T2 & R* will save PC for last so they can get PS, Xbox and Nintendo owners to double-dip there.

Yeah it Switch 2 doesnt get GTA 6 its probably gonna be a huge year for PS5. If Switch 2 gets GTA6, thats gonna make things different

It's 99% certain getting a port of GTA6. Or at least definitely the next iteration of GTA Online. The only question is when.

GTA 6: ~ 2026 (1 year or so after PS5 & Xbox)

GTA Online: At or near launch (most six months after PS5)

People act like Rockstar have not made games for Nintendo hardware before but as DMA Design (remember, Rockstar is a subsidiary of T2 formed out of acquired BMG Interactive assets, one of which was DMA Design), they arguably started making their first console exclusives on Nintendo hardware (Body Harvest, Space Station Silicon Valley). Heck, DMA Design (who also made GTA) had several exclusives with Nintendo between the SNES and N64.

That's my roundabout way of saying, R* don't have an aversion to Nintendo hardware. Far from it, especially the DMA Design side of them (which is the side that made the GTA series). Save it being a complete and utter disaster out of the gate, Switch 2 is a lock for getting a version of GTA6.

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
not the point of the thread at all, but since you brought this... i'm sure a lot of people would absolutely LOVE to have an optimized official version of GTA 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2 to play on the go ;)

Anyone who really wanted this would have bought a Steam Deck for it.

Again, you get these ideas that have no merit that you haven't thought through, but you convince yourself that you're right.

• they're_right_you_know

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Again, you get these ideas that have no merit that you haven't thought through, but you convince yourself that you're right.

I wouldnt. But Id love when Playstation does. GTA6 would do well on portable

• Shake
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023

yeah cause Steam Deck is currently as popular as Nintendo consoles, sure

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
yeah cause Steam Deck is currently as popular as Nintendo consoles, sure

You guys can't have your cake and eat it too.

You argue that PC getting PS ports will draw players from PS to PC, but not for Steam Deck (because we know it hasn't sold that well), but somehow these games games will sell Nintendo products to people who haven't historically bought Nintendo products...

I think you should prepare yourself for the reality that consumers are a lot stickier than you're willing to admit. Even with all the problems with Xbox they're still only down 13% in North America compared to the X1 for the same time period. That's with the XSX being more expensive and the XSS being relatively weaker.

You also attribute Sony's decisions with eventually downfall, despite them being up 8% over the PS4 in North America.

I think you should do an exercise where you assume you're wrong, look at the market data and realize that market isn't having the same reaction you're having and just stop doomsaying, because it's going to look really silly in 18 months but rather than say you were wrong, you'll just move the goalposts and say the doom is coming later.

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
You guys can't have your cake and eat it too.

You argue that PC getting PS ports will draw players from PS to PC, but not for Steam Deck (because we know it hasn't sold that well), but somehow these games games will sell Nintendo products to people who haven't historically bought Nintendo products...

I think you should prepare yourself for the reality that consumers are a lot stickier than you're willing to admit. Even with all the problems with Xbox they're still only down 13% in North America compared to the X1 for the same time period. That's with the XSX being more expensive and the XSS being relatively weaker.

You also attribute Sony's decisions with eventually downfall, despite them being up 8% over the PS4 in North America.

I think you should do an exercise where you assume you're wrong, look at the market data and realize that market isn't having the same reaction you're having and just stop doomsaying, because it's going to look really silly in 18 months but rather than say you were wrong, you'll just move the goalposts and say the doom is coming later.
i'm not saying PC ports will draw players from PS to PC because it already is drawing users, i know people who purchased Helldivers 2 on PC because of PS Plus requirement for PS5, their live service games are being played and consumed more on Steam already, these are all potential PS Plus subscribers, PlayStation console buyers and PS Store consumers, Helldivers 2 could've sold a lot of PlayStation consoles, why i don't use a singleplayer example? cause i don't have one as of now, soon we'll have it with Until Dawn Remake, even tho i don't think it'll have the effect of a tentpole new release, when they eventually put a game like Spiderman 3 or 4 on PC day one, which is inevitable and was even debated in internal documents leaked we'll see REAL cannibalization and then maybe people like you who only care about the right here and right now see how detrimental this is to the health of the console

consumers are indeed stickier, they're sticking to PS4 ;) PS5 is MILLIONS behind in Europe, its Japan lead won't last long either with previously exclusive franchises like Final Fantasy going to such a dominant platform as the Switch in the country, and please don't even mention Xbox cause that's exactly the future Sony is heading themselfs to, wherever there is computing, you have to be MENTALLY ILL if you think they'll maintain the same 100M+ console audience with this vision for the future

• haha
Reactions: Hezekiah

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
i'm not saying PC ports will draw players from PS to PC because it already is drawing users, i know people who purchased Helldivers 2 on PC because of PS Plus requirement for PS5, their live service games are being played and consumed more on Steam already, these are all potential PS Plus subscribers, PlayStation console buyers and PS Store consumers, Helldivers 2 could've sold a lot of PlayStation consoles

Do you know what we call this? No? It's called anecdotal data.

What do you do when your anecdotal data doesn't match up with market data?

why i don't use a singleplayer example? cause i don't have one as of now, soon we'll have it with Until Dawn Remake, even tho i don't think it'll have the effect of a tentpole new release, when they eventually put a game like Spiderman 3 or 4 on PC day one, which is inevitable and was even debated in internal documents leaked we'll see REAL cannibalization and then maybe people like you who only care about the right here and right now see how detrimental this is to the health of the console

There you go again, looking for more anecdotal data.

And I'm not saying that anecdotal data doesn't have any value, but you're overvaluing it.

I have a nephew he owns a switch, an X1, a PS5, a quest 2, and a gaming PC.

He almost exclusively plays games on PC right now and is super into youtube and twitch. The games he plays? Rocket League and Hollow Knight. He also plays Mario Kart on the switch. He barely plays PS5.

Last year he was all about the Quest 2. I haven't seen him use it once this year. He was obsessed with it for like 3-4 months.

Individuals make all sorts of choices, but attributing their decisions to an entire market is an easy way to end up making faulty assumptions. I've anecdotally heard people say they've given up on PC gaming because they want more uniform gaming experiences or because PC gaming is too expensive to keep up with.

consumers are indeed stickier, they're sticking to PS4 ;) PS5 is MILLIONS behind in Europe, its Japan lead won't last long either with previously exclusive franchises like Final Fantasy going to such a dominant platform as the Switch in the country, and please don't even mention Xbox cause that's exactly the future Sony is heading themselfs to, wherever there is computing, you have to be MENTALLY ILL if you think they'll maintain the same 100M+ console audience with this vision for the future

• Europe will start catching up with EA FC not dropping on PS4 this year or next year year
  • Europe will catch up even more with PS5 Pro and GTA6
  • Why does Japan have a lead at all? Do you want to explain that for the class?
  • How has Final Fantasy performed on PS5? Both FF16 and FF7 Rebirth weren't huge sellers.
  • You've convinced yourself that similar strategies mean the same execution and the same result. I think you have a lot to learn about business.
  • You won't go out on a limb and suggest PS5 will sell less than 100 million, so you'll put it off for PS6, so you can dispel the notion that you're wrong, if you were right the PS5 shouldn't be in position to outsell PS4 at all.

• they're_right_you_know

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Color TV-Game 6/15 released in june 1977 : sold 1 million units

Atari 2600 released in september 1977 : sold ~30 million units
Oh wow, thank god I said "in Japan" then, otherwise I would have been wrong.

Also, you don't know a Pong clone is, apparently. Its a game system that only plays hard-coded versions of pong, with no ability to add new games into the system after release. It is not comparable to the VCS/2600 at all, and instead is better compared to Atari and its competitors' home pong efforts, such as this. What you did was compare something like a PS3 to something like a PS4 and should be relentlessly mocked for it because you clearly don't know games history very well.

Last edited:

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Oh wow, thank god I said "in Japan" then, otherwise I would have been wrong.

Also, you don't know a Pong clone is, apparently. Its a game system that only plays hard-coded versions of pong, with no ability to add new games into the system after release. It is not comparable to the VCS/2600 at all, and instead is better compared to Atari and its competitors' home pong efforts, such as this. What you did was compare something like a PS3 to something like a PS4 and should be relentlessly mocked for it because you clearly don't know games history very well.

How can you say that the Color TV-Game was a success and was the market leader when in the same period Atatri managed to sell the A2600 at 30 million units?

You will need to review your definition of the words leader and success.

And there's no need to play on words, as these are 2 dedicated home video game consoles released at the same time, therefore completely comparable.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
How can you say that the Color TV-Game was a success and was the market leader when in the same period Atatri managed to sell the A2600 at 30 million units?

You will need to review your definition of the words leader and success.

And there's no need to play on words, as these are 2 dedicated home video game consoles released at the same time, therefore completely comparable.
The definition of games console includes being able to play games that are not hard baked into it and are instead added by way of outside means (so, a cartridge, disc, tape, outside download, etc.) The Color TV Game is not a games console, its a "pong clone", which is a type of plug and play that can only play pong-type games. This shit is ABCs of game history, I shouldn't have to walk you through it like this.

As to Nintendo's pong clone versus Atari's various pong machines (which are not the VCS), Atari sold more, but solely in the US and Canada. They never released a version in Japan, while Nintendo did and achieved a similar level of success when accounting for market size.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I would advise waiting until Nintendo disappoints us with the actual Switch 2 hardware capabilities before singing their victory and Sony's demise.

• thisistheway

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I would advise waiting until Nintendo disappoints us with the actual Switch 2 hardware capabilities before singing their victory and Sony's demise.
Nintendo is always lower spec than Sony so what is there to wait on? We know it will be a gen behind and most won’t care.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Nintendo is always lower spec than Sony so what is there to wait on? We know it will be a gen behind and most won’t care.
OP is assuming Nintendo's console will be getting the "big" third party games like Final Fantasy and CoD titles, instead of the mobile ports they've been getting for their hardware.

Many people are unreasonably expecting a level of performance that would allow it to run the same games as the latest consoles. It won't.
The Switch 2 is even using an older process node (Samsung 8nm) than the 2020 consoles, not to mention the fact that it can only use 1/20th to 1/10th of their power budget.

Reactions: Hezekiah

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
OP is assuming Nintendo's console will be getting the "big" third party games like Final Fantasy and CoD titles, instead of the mobile ports they've been getting for their hardware.

Many people are unreasonably expecting a level of performance that would allow it to run the same games as the latest consoles. It won't.
The Switch 2 is even using an older process node (Samsung 8nm) than the 2020 consoles, not to mention the fact that it can only use 1/20th to 1/10th of their power budget.
oh okay I see what you mean.

The gap seems to be closing as far as porting goes so I expect Switch 2 to have more graphically intensive games than Switch 1. Doom on Switch was an impressive feat.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
It won't cause they did the same with the 3ds and that barely sold half of what the ds did.
3ds and Wii U both suffered from the same poor naming scheme. People thought they were just refreshes instead of entirely new consoles.