[Circana] July 2023 NPD - PS5 no.1 in both unit and dollar sales, Remnant 2 no.1 in software

Thief1987

23 Feb 2023
Nintendo own financials.
As Japan is lower than 50% then the chances to US be over 50% are really high.
BTW it is a pretty know thing for years already.... Nintendo is around 50% digital while Sony/MS is around 70-80% digital.

nintendo-switch-sales.jpeg

nintendo_digital_sales_2023.jpg
It's 50% of overall sales. Do you know how many of games nowadays are digital only?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It's 50% of overall sales. Do you know how many of games nowadays are digital only?
Only the second graph has digital only games showed in yellow.
The first one is about digital version of packaged titles (downloaded only games are not included).

Plus the first graph is in units.
The second in revenue.

50% in FY2021 was about digital ratio (using units) for titles that have both physical and digital releases (digital only titles or physical only titles are not included).

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
Yeap and it supports what I always said about the FFXVI sales... they are not good... way below previous FFs games.
He is basically done what he is paid for... just the fact he can't say the game is a success already tells a lot.... you don't use the word "fine" when something is selling well.

Dude he literally said the game's sold fine. Mat is not paid by publishers to do PR for them, so if the game performed bad in the US ("not good" would suggest it's done badly), he would have said as such or alluded towards it more strongly. It may not be selling as well as VII Remake, but VII Remake is an iteration of the most popular FF game ever made, high bar to clear. XV was a multiplat title from Day 1 and XBO was actually doing pretty well in the U.S relative PS4, so of course NPD results for XV would have been stronger than XVI, which is on only one platform at launch.

I think too many people here, on ResetERA, Installbase, NeoGAF, Twitter etc. just have a weird sales fetish over FF XVI and in 95% of the time it's for console warring. Personally I think your intentions aren't in that realm, just more around wanting an honest picture of the game's sales and to cut down on the people who want to say it's doing phenomenal numbers (which it isn't, though IMO it doesn't need to in order to be a sales success).

That said, I am just maybe curious as to what reasons you feel the game isn't performing well, your own personal thoughts on the game (if any), and what you feel Square-Enix and/or Sony could have done to make the game a bigger seller.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Dude he literally said the game's sold fine. Mat is not paid by publishers to do PR for them, so if the game performed bad in the US ("not good" would suggest it's done badly), he would have said as such or alluded towards it more strongly. It may not be selling as well as VII Remake, but VII Remake is an iteration of the most popular FF game ever made, high bar to clear. XV was a multiplat title from Day 1 and XBO was actually doing pretty well in the U.S relative PS4, so of course NPD results for XV would have been stronger than XVI, which is on only one platform at launch.

I think too many people here, on ResetERA, Installbase, NeoGAF, Twitter etc. just have a weird sales fetish over FF XVI and in 95% of the time it's for console warring. Personally I think your intentions aren't in that realm, just more around wanting an honest picture of the game's sales and to cut down on the people who want to say it's doing phenomenal numbers (which it isn't, though IMO it doesn't need to in order to be a sales success).

That said, I am just maybe curious as to what reasons you feel the game isn't performing well, your own personal thoughts on the game (if any), and what you feel Square-Enix and/or Sony could have done to make the game a bigger seller.
FFXV on XB1 did pretty bad….. from NPD it was like 1.3m for PS4 and 200-300k for XB1.

Remake is not one of the most successful FF… it is way below FFXV or even previous FFs if you laugh their launches… for all that said FFXV is like the 5th best selling FF.

Mat is being very clear it did fine and not good because he don’t want to comprise himself and yes he is paid for that (that is why he only talk about what publishers let him talk… that is fine btw).

Plus all sales data including NPD is showing it is not seeing like a FF used to sell.
Mat agree with that even go even depth saying maybe Square Enix needs to change the strategy going toward…

Now I will ask something…

Why are you guys getting blind to FF sales in a sales discussion thread trying to push a narrative the numbers were “fine”? I don’t understand why you guys are going against reality for a game.

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly
24 Jun 2022
FFXV on XB1 did pretty bad….. from NPD it was like 1.3m for PS4 and 200-300k for XB1.

That is still an extra 200K-300K XVI may've had in NPD if it came to Xbox Day 1. And I don't say that as one of the port-beggars using sales to say "see, you should've gone multiplat!"; it's just a reality of the situation being stated.

Remake is not one of the most successful FF… it is way below FFXV or even previous FFs if you laugh their launches… for all that said FFXV is like the 5th best selling FF.

No I meant Remake being based on FF VII. FF VII itself, being the most popular FF game ever made, when you look at sales, look at which entry's gotten the most spinoffs in games/anime/manga/films etc.

Mat is being very clear it did fine and not good because he don’t want to comprise himself and yes he is paid for that (that is why he only talk about what publishers let him talk… that is fine btw).

Plus all sales data including NPD is showing it is not seeing like a FF used to sell.
Mat agree with that even go even depth saying maybe Square Enix needs to change the strategy going toward…

The way I read it, "fine" means just that: fine. It's not doing "amazing" numbers, but it's not drowning in the market, either.

Now I will ask something…

Why are you guys getting blind to FF sales in a sales discussion thread trying to push a narrative the numbers were “fine”? I don’t understand why you guys are going against reality for a game.

No no no, you go first ;). I asked the following: what do you think Square-Enix and/or Sony messed up at with XVI, what are your personal opinions on the game (if any), and what do you feel Square-Enix need to do for the next game to get bigger sales?

If you can answer that, then I'll answer your question, and my answer might surprise you because I personally haven't been in most of these FF XVI sales discussions. Like, at all 🤣

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
No no no, you go first ;). I asked the following: what do you think Square-Enix and/or Sony messed up at with XVI, what are your personal opinions on the game (if any), and what do you feel Square-Enix need to do for the next game to get bigger sales?

If you can answer that, then I'll answer your question, and my answer might surprise you because I personally haven't been in most of these FF XVI sales discussions. Like, at all 🤣
I don’t think Square Enix or Sony messed with FFXVI… in fact it being exclusive or not make little difference for it overall sales… like I said from the 5 million shipment Xbox took around 500k…it was in a time that Xbox gamers used to buy games before Gamepass effect… so even if you add Xbox you should be looking at 3.5m first shipment that is rater poor to FF mainline games.

The game is good… I even rated it 8.5 at first and just dropped to 8.0 because the serious pace issues and bad side quest design after Bahamuth battle (something that similar old games did better a decade ago).

I think it is vastly superior to FFXV.

So why it is not seeking?

I did skipped FFXV and brought FFXVI day one… I say that to understand that people like me it s probably very minority and most people that brought FFXV at launch choose not buy FFXVI.

Why? I can only guess:

- The bad taste from these day one FFXV buyers let them afraid to buy FFXVI?
- The change started in FFXV with a more action adventure oriented game and less JRPG make some core fans skip FFXVI?

I don’t know.

People said that maybe the launch sales were lower but the legs could be better post launch (maybe due the holiday vs mid or year launch) but at end the legs are slower than previous titles.

I’m not sure but I think they have a solid foundation to a new game it just I want the game to sell better to Square Enix be happy in invest more in the next one to allow that potential to shine but it doesn’t happening right now.

Square Enix said they will take actions to increase sales but right now I didn’t see any move (maybe a price cut or DLC?).

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The fact that you actually thought this proved your point rather than pounded it into the dirt is now a meme for lack of self awareness.
He indeed did that... and plus in next comments supported even more what we are saying here... the FFXVI sales are not good and a decline for the franchise.
He even supported that Square Enix needs to reviewer the model and changes moving foward.

To me I'm more interested right now how FFVII Rebirth will fare in January... if it will continue that decline or if it will have better sales than previous entries.

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
He indeed did that... and plus in next comments supported even more what we are saying here... the FFXVI sales are not good and a decline for the franchise.
He even supported that Square Enix needs to reviewer the model and changes moving foward.

To me I'm more interested right now how FFVII Rebirth will fare in January... if it will continue that decline or if it will have better sales than previous entries.

Its July charting is including the 3 million milestone that was reached in the first week of August as its June charting was only 8 days or so. This is the launch window sales… it changes nothing.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Its July charting is including the 3 million milestone that was reached in the first week of August as its June charting was only 8 days or so. This is the launch window sales… it changes nothing.
Maybe to others have a better view...

FFXV
Dec 1, 2016: 5 million (initial shipment)
Jan 6, 2017: 6 million
Feb, 2018: 7.7 million

FFVIIR
Apr 21, 2020: 3.5 million (initial shipment)
Ago 7, 2020: 5 million

I see FFXVI sales seems more close to Remake than FFXV.
Let's how it will compare the next milestone when Square Enix publish it.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They alienated SOME traditional fans with the game and their approach to how it plays. It's that simple. Stripping it of so many RPG elements hurt them a little.
Do you think the people making a fuss everywhere on all forums and social media were alienated by the actual gameplay? None of them even played it.

The 3 millions was announced on June 28 (6 days after release) and they said they recoup the development cost in last quarter ending June 30 so July sales shouldn't be included?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: laynelane and Umar

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The 3 millions was announced on June 28 (6 days after release) and they said they recoup the development cost in last quarter ending June 30 so July sales shouldn't be included?
They posted all the development cost in the last Q... that doesn't mean they covered all the dev costs from the games sales alone... they used the company revenue to cover all the dev costs (they don't detail how much come from the game sales).
3 million is shipment + digital... so part of it are units that will be sold in July even more when the data come at the end of June.
They didn't share any new shipment after that but digital sales are increasing that 3 millions since June.