[Circana] May 2024: 1# Ghost of Tsushima, 2# Paper Mario TYD, 3# Helldivers 2, #8 Shadow of Erdtree; PS5 #1, 2#NSW , 3# XSX

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Matt is combining the overall market and putting PS5 in there. On purpose. You know how he shills for “everybody is doing bad” narrative” that started after MS said the industry is changing and not growing as an excuse for why their hardware is not selling.

This is PS5’s 3 year. It will naturally have a decline. Not that big though. There’s still no price stop ether.

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
Let me help you.

2020 - PS5 launch
2023 - Peak
2024 - You are here

You got a few ways of looking at the above.

1. You take each year as a full year, regardless of how long a product was in that year. Pick this, and Year 1 for PS5 was 2020, 2023 is Year 4, and 2024 is Year 5.
2. You start Year 1 at whatever year the product was available for most or all of the year. Pick this, and Year 1 for PS5 was 2021, 2023 is Year 3, and 2024 is Year 4. 2020 would just be "launch year" or "launch holiday".
3. You use fiscal year instead of calendar year, which would mean Year 1 for PS5 ended March 31, 2021.

If someone asked Mat to share the numbers for the PS5's 3rd year, he wouldn't share the November of prior year - October of current year 12 month total. He'd pick a full year of either 2022 (Jan-Dec) or 2023 (Jan-Dec).

Also, if you want to look at it by months passed only, there's no Year 0 for a product. Once 36 months has passed, month 37 and you're in Year 4 of the product's lifecycle.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
You're moving the goalposts now.

You didn't say over 3 years. You said it was in its 3rd year. Which it isn't. This isn't verbiage, it's basic English.

Ummm what? I was not talking about that. I was saying how long it’s been since launch.

You see, I knew people were confused.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Right. Sony uses their fiscal year when a new year for the company begin and ends. Which some go by too. But calendar year can used too. Which is used more often than not.

3 years 8 months. I don’t get the issue with this.

Anyway. Last time I’m bringing this up. It’s always the same thing. I’ve seen this same argument happen on resetera and other places. It’s weird.

Reactions: ethomaz

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
He’s the first one to say how a PS game should be on PC day one or how a PS exclusive should be multiplat yet ignores any Xbox exclusive absolutely bombing. What happen to Halo infinite, Forza Motorsport, Starfield are those games even on the top 30?

He pushes how exclusive don’t matter like black in the day yet we literally looking at the data from Xbox & it’s showing quite the opposite actually if anything from data gather by Nintendo Switch consoles need more exclusive games especially seeing how PC now has Xbox & PS games & already has PC exclusive games by default & those PC exclusive being more in number compared to Xbox or PS
This 100%. They always say PS exclusives need to be on PC Day 1 if they don't break all-time records but Xbox keeps releasing massive flops that don't even chart at all and it's complete silence.

Hellblade was number 1 when it was PS4-exclusive. Imagine how they would react if it was number 37? The internet would explode and Sony would never be allowed to have an exclusive ever again.

This is how you know there's a massive double standard in the industry and all these "journalists" are just pushing Xbox talking points.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It’s really not that’s serious. No need to act high and mighty.

Calm down.

Anyway as I stated, both datapoints can be used and are correct.
He isn't correct though. He stated that the PS5 peaked in its 2nd year. Any way you slice it it's wrong

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
GOT PC port is a success like we can be against PC sports and still call a spade what it is... A success.
🤔 so GoT pc selling 150k-300k is a success but ff16 and ff7 rebirth selling several million is a flop? I see, the media FUD has gotten to you 😢PC/Xbox are allowed to have incredibly low standards but ps5 needs to carry.

Where did you get the 250K figure from?

Secondly these sale figures are for the USA only.

This isn’t Twitter where you can get away with such nonsense.
What nonsense? These are physical numbers only for Paper Mario. Paper Mario sold 130k physical in Japan during May, and physical dominates there. So it probably sold around 100k physical in the US since there’s a bit larger switch install base and digital splits are much higher here.

I was being generous by saying 250k for GoT PC. Since Mat said it only did slightly better than Paper Mario physical only, it’s probably closer to 150k. Worldwide puts it at 400k-500k MAX, which is an objective flop.

Stop lying to yourselves, it’ll take several years to match what it sold on PS4 in the first 3 days, if that’s what you consider a success then you’re a victim of FUD. No other way around it

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Further proof that GoT was an objective FLOP, since some people here have piss poor standards and understanding of the market.

Sea of Thieves was ported to PS5 and became the 19th best selling game of the year, with only 4 days to chart and way more competition during its launch window. GoT gets ported to PC in an empty month with two weeks to chart and is nowhere to be found. It couldn’t even outsell Skull and Bones which was another huge flop. SoT is also much older and nowhere near as good as GoT but still did way better on a much smaller install base than PC. The standards for the PC market are in the gutter

GR_uJvGXoAAgngZ

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
🤔 so GoT pc selling 150k-300k is a success but ff16 and ff7 rebirth selling several million is a flop? I see, the media FUD has gotten to you 😢PC/Xbox are allowed to have incredibly low standards but ps5 needs to carry.

What nonsense? These are physical numbers only for Paper Mario. Paper Mario sold 130k physical in Japan during May, and physical dominates there. So it probably sold around 100k physical in the US since there’s a bit larger switch install base and digital splits are much higher here.

I was being generous by saying 250k for GoT PC. Since Mat said it only did slightly better than Paper Mario physical only, it’s probably closer to 150k. Worldwide puts it at 400k-500k MAX, which is an objective flop.

Stop lying to yourselves, it’ll take several years to match what it sold on PS4 in the first 3 days, if that’s what you consider a success then you’re a victim of FUD. No other way around it.

Nowhere did I say it is a success or not.

I have repeatedly said PC ports sell peanuts.

Still you can’t gauge total sales on US figures alone.

Mat only said slightly better in the US than Paper Mario. These sales figures are for May 2024 till June 1 2024. GoT was released on May 16.

2 weeks earlier.

With an all time CCU of 77,000 it has sold far more than 400K-500K max.

That is 2 weeks on the PC market.

• brain
Reactions: voke and The Icon

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Still you can’t gauge total sales on US figures alone.
You can't, I can. I'm built different and my estimates are always on point.

Mat only said slightly better in the US than Paper Mario. These sales figures are for May 2024 till June 1 2024. GoT was released on May 16.

2 weeks earlier.
Um.. and Paper Mario came out a WEEK AFTER, so wth is your point??

With an all time CCU of 77,000 it has sold far more than 400K-500K max.
You just said you can't gauge total sales and then you try to gauge total sales? 😂 God of War had a 74k peak and Sony earnings showed it sold 970k in its first 4 months . There's no way this one sold more than 500k in just the first 2 weeks 🤣 (GoW was also cheaper). PC ports have been selling less and less over the years, not to mention the game isn't purchasable in 177 countries and has a psn requirement.

Nothing you're saying makes any sense

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: arvfab

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
You can't, I can. I'm built different and my estimates are always on point.

Um.. and Paper Mario came out a WEEK AFTER, so wth is your point??

You just said you can't gauge total sales and then you try to gauge total sales? 😂 God of War had a 74k peak and Sony earnings showed it sold 970k in its first 4 months . There's no way this one sold more than 500k in just the first 2 weeks 🤣 (GoW was also cheaper). PC ports have been selling less and less over the years, not to mention the game isn't purchasable in 177 countries and has a psn requirement.

Nothing you're saying makes any sense

Doesn’t make sense to you for obvious reasons.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Again with the extremelly low bar to call PC ports a success. We'll find out if they were a succes or not come PS6.

Maybe Sony is rigth and exclusives have no value to PlayStation, maybe all of this was a big mistake that only helped Valve and Nvidia and wasn't worth it for a few extra million sales.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Didnt square themselves say the game under perfromed? Its one thing for Phils cult to say it, whole other thing for the company to say it themselves.

Reading comprehension is severely lacking here.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
That was at the beginning of this year.

Xbox consoles undersold in the last quarter of 2023, and Microsoft CFO Amy Hood says that hardware sales will continue to decline over the next few years. This statement follows the news of Xbox's impressive software and content sales, despite the recent controversy surrounding mass layoffs at the start of this year.

D

Deleted member 223

The circus continues. The forum does need better quality posters. The irony.

The sort of clean up required goes beyond the "rules". Purges are never pretty. Curation is part of every body politic that has ever existed or has ever been created, from the biggest of things, like nations, to the smallest of things, like say, cleaning rice. It's however an indispensable exercise - whether masked under veils or otherwise. Not to be confused with policing activity aka moderation activity. It's not a democratic process, few opinions matter.

The "doomer-league" is slipping on low hanging fruits and talking points, specially vs low grade "exalted" idiots. Won't be providing them, will keep watching from afar the "struggle". An infusion of fresh perspective on logical fallacies being employed by the corporate slaves is sorely needed. It's as if IQs between combatants reach their limit and equalize. A few corporate slaves are naturally running wild with long lasting toilet busting dumps seeking exhaustion and using repetition as the strategy.

At least the weeb syndicate in under control, with most self-exiled, the moderate and well behaved still hanging about while the crazy barely having energy to spout idiocy -- although always a hand away, ready to dump toilet busters when defending the weeaboo creed.

Just a hint:

The myth of unit sales growth grand scheme.

Correlation between launch aligned growth for PS5 in the U.S vs. launch aligned decline of Series consoles in the U.S. The exercise of a consumer crossing the street.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/population/cb12-255.html
https://www.census.gov/popclock/

Not accounting non-citizens. In the several tenths of millions least.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
The circus continues. The forum does need better quality posters. The irony.

The sort of clean up required goes beyond the "rules". Purges are never pretty. Curation is part of every body politic that has ever existed or has ever been created, from the biggest of things, like nations, to the smallest of things, like say, cleaning rice. It's however an indispensable exercise - whether masked under veils or otherwise. Not to be confused with policing activity aka moderation activity. It's not a democratic process.

The "doomer-league" is slipping on low hanging fruits and talking points, specially vs low grade "exalted" idiots. Won't be providing them, will keep watching from afar the struggle. Way too many low hanging fruits being unexploited. An infusion of fresh perspective on logical fallacies is sorely needed. It's as if IQs reach their limit. A few corporate slaves are naturally running wild with long lasting toiler busters seeking exhaustion and repetition as the strategy.

At least the weeb syndicate in under control, with most self-exiled, the moderate still hanging about while the crazy barely having energy to spout idiocy -- although always a hand away, ready to dump toiler busters when defending the weeaboo creed.

just ignore … much better forum when you put nhonomm and jahgamer’s non-stop, low IQ whining on quiet mode.