Concord Open Beta starts July 18 | Concord’s monetised content will be exclusively cosmetic | Early Previews are out

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I didn't have any issue with English, there's no such thing as a "pure" GaaS, the game is a GaaS or not.

PS Home, LBP, GT Sport, GT7, Helldivers 2 and (now under Hermen's 1P game division) Destiny 2 were all GaaS and were all a big (or "major") success.

If we cherrypick to limit to AAA (understanding "major" as their budget/scope) GaaS, and leave Bungie outside (makes sense because uses another lablel and was already released when acquired), and also 2nd party games we could also leave Concord outside the list, because it started as a 2nd party game and later got acquired.

Gran Turismo Sport had periodical events and post launch releases adding more content or features. Many people complained that it was pretty limited in features or content at launch. As an example, the tradional single player content was added several months after launch. It was heavily focused on online MP.

I think you're confusing multiplayer games and GaaS.

For example MLB is a single player game, with multiplayer, but also GaaS elements. It's not a pure live service game.

PS Home was pure live service, but it wasn't a major game.

GaaS largely relies on paid content continuously throughout the life of the game as a major source of funding.

While Bungie reports to Hulst, they are not part of PlayStation studios, which is what I prefaced.

Concord is a very different element in PlayStation's Studios live service agenda. It's not only their first internal major GaaS game, but the first from a company they bought in their string of studio acquisitions, which was the point of my comment, which I couldn't have made more clear.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Ill try this for sure.

Sony studios rarely disappoint me.

Reasons for not pre ordering.

1. PVP only games really arent my type
2. New studio

If I like it Ill buy, especially that it isnt £70
You will be playing the robot, I bet.

i mean, There/them/zee the robot, I bet

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
With the characters they have good luck selling skins
Yuh most characters are ugly asf only like 5-7 out of the 16 heroes are good to amazing design. They have some questionable design heroes.

I don’t know why people don’t value good characters design. I mean Tracer & Widowmaker are such iconic design they got fans making 3D models for the hub. Aswell as Soldier 76, Mc Cree & Reaper that are all amazing designs

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
There's a lot of negativity around the game, so it's going to be super interesting from an onlooker's perspective as to whether this game can succeed.

You have a lot of forces against it

• People who think that the hero shooter genre is crowded and may not want users leaving games that they prefer
  • People who are angry at the pronouns and diversity of the game and commentary from some of the employees
  • Xbox fans who aren't getting access to the game
  • Sony fans who don't want Sony focusing on GaaS
  • Sony fans who are angry that this is on PC
  • People who would probably want this to be F2P rather than 40 dollars
  • PC fans who don't want Sony to get more of a foothold on PC

People are so angry about this game that they're downvoting even negative previews on it, but I'm sure it's going to get a massive ad campaign and if the beta response is as positive as many of the previews, it has a decent chance to attract a lot of players from around gaming.

Ironically while angering much of the crowd who are angry about the pronouns which will hurt the initial playerbase, it will probably result in a less toxic playerbase down the road, which might also help it in attracting people who feel like Valorant is too toxic.

It also has an uphill battle with Valorant coming to consoles at the same time. The game will surely be review bombed.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
all the previews are super positive besides IGN who still says its fun.
You can tell these journalist don’t play multiplayer game just by watching there gameplay.

Another con I found about the game was how slow the gameplay is. The movement in concord is slow ASF they need to increase that & make it near Destiny. Concord is the slowest multiplayer I’ve seen.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
You will be playing the robot, I bet.

i mean, There/them/zee the robot, I bet
The robot pro nouns where change in the preview atleast from the Japanese gameplay I saw the robot pronouns is a he/him lol it was changed from they/them also some heroes design/color where changed aswell.

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Because it allows them some financial safety to get back some of the budget and possibly not an instant death sentence for a studio. When a Free to Play bombs it simply bombs, at least they will have the options down the road to go F2P and can at least reward paid customers with in-game currency or whatever.

Yeah, I would expect this game to go F2P after the first year and the video vignettes run their course. It'll probably be F2P before Helldivers is F2P.

We're going to see if the discourse around the game changes after the beta. It's one of the magical parts of games like this, is that if players enjoy it, the rest of the negativity is going to fall by the wayside, outweighed by the people actually interested in the game.

It sounds like the gameplay is fun and the game plays solid, which is always the first start.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Sony fans who are angry that this is on PC
I think most Sony fans are actually mad that TLOU online was cancelled but Concord wasn’t or there mad PS is doing to much live service & not singleplayer. I’ve also seen PS fan shit on Concord because it was MAG, Socom or PS Allstars 2.

I’ve never seen a Sony/PS fan being mad a live service in this case Concord is on PC, that’s solely made up by you.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
It also has an uphill battle with Valorant coming to consoles at the same time. The game will surely be review bombed.
Eh I think Rainbow 6 seige is more of a competitor to Valorant then Concord.

I would’ve said the same thing but Valorant has some negative draw side aswell. No full on crossplay w PC stopping you from playing w friends aswell as you getting ban just by talking trash is a major drawback from search & destroy games where it live through that type of toxic interaction w teammates to create funny moments

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I think most Sony fans are actually mad that TLOU online was cancelled but Concord wasn’t or there mad PS is doing to much live service & not singleplayer. I’ve also seen PS fan shit on Concord because it was MAG, Socom or PS Allstars 2.

I’ve never seen a Sony/PS fan being mad a live service in this case Concord is on PC, that’s solely made up by you.

Many people didn't want Naughty Dog making TLOU online in the first place.

Also work on your grammar and spelling, it'll make it easier to actually read what you're writing.

Yeah, I'm making it up, there aren't people complaining that PC users get to play online for free without PS+ or that Helldivers 2 wasn't PS5 exclusive? I can literally cite people saying that on this forum.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
There's a lot of negativity around the game, so it's going to be super interesting from an onlooker's perspective as to whether this game can succeed.

Can't know for sure what kind of enthusiasm there is pre-release/pre-beta on PS5 but on Steam...
Concord hasn't even crossed 1k followers. The page went live on June 7th, it's been 20 days.
I don't think I've seen a clearly big budget game get this little traction ever.
Current pre-launch metrics is on the trajectory of shovelware games that releases nearly every day, it's real bad.

People are so angry about this game that they're downvoting even negative previews on it, but I'm sure it's going to get a massive ad campaign and if the beta response is as positive as many of the previews, it has a decent chance to attract a lot of players from around gaming.

It desperately needs a VERY VERY positive reaction from its beta from the public or else we're looking at a true megaflop.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Can't know for sure what kind of enthusiasm there is pre-release/pre-beta on PS5 but on Steam...
Concord hasn't even crossed 1k followers. The page went live on June 7th, it's been 20 days.
I don't think I've seen a clearly big budget game get this little traction ever.
Current pre-launch metrics is on the trajectory of shovelware games that releases nearly every day, it's real bad.

It desperately needs a VERY VERY positive reaction from its beta from the public or else we're looking at a true megaflop.

Pre-launch metrics are super misleading here. It's an original IP and very little has been shown about it. So much rests on the beta, where all of that could very easily change.

Like I said, everything about this has been negative out of the gate, so it's not surprising to see the traction be poor. People are going to get a chance to play the game for free and from there word of mouth can do a lot.

If the game is good at its foundation, I think the rest will probably take care of itself.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Yeah, I'm making it up, there aren't people complaining that PC users get to play online for free without PS+ or that Helldivers 2 wasn't PS5 exclusive?
You mention people were mad at the game being on PC when that’s not the case.

I would suppose people are mad that PS live service & not solely concord require PS+ to play but not PC. Maybe add more details to your sentence then simplifying it & getting mad when people correct your statement w lacking details.

But please do bring the people specifically mad at concord being PC & needing to pay for PS+ but PC users don’t. Again specifically regarding Concord. Most of these people don’t even play live service games or are ass at it. Which idk why people are surprised PC is the best place to play PS games & the cheapest. Steam knows how to bolster its platform & storefront unlike PS soon PS players will wake up but by then it will be to late like Xbox

Also TLOU online was gonna be a battle royal that shit was more dead & would’ve had less of chance of success then Concord & I’m 50/50 w Concord

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
You mention people were mad at the game being on PC when that’s not the case.

I would suppose people are mad that PS live service & not solely concord require PS+ to play but not PC. Maybe add more details to your sentence then simplifying it & getting mad when people correct your statement w lacking details.

But please do bring the people specifically mad at concord being PC & needing to pay for PS+ but PC users don’t. Again specifically regarding Concord. Most of these people don’t even play live service games or are ass at it. Which idk why people are surprised PC is the best place to play PS games & the cheapest. Steam knows how to bolster its platform & storefront unlike PS soon PS players will wake up but by then it will be to late like Xbox

Also TLOU online was gonna be a battle royal that shit was more dead & would’ve had less of chance of success then Concord & I’m 50/50 w Concord

There are absolutely people made at even live service Sony games being on PC. Many posters on this very forum have stated that all Sony games should be exclusive to PS4 and PS5. Some have given reasons such as the PS+ requirement and others are just mad at the general fact that these games are going to PC.

I don't care whether you prefer to play on console or PC.

Concord will likely fail, but what my point was that there are specific people with specific agendas for wanting the game to fail. What is actually interesting is whether these people can effectively drown out interest in the game if it is well-received. As I mentioned before, the game is definitely going to be review bombed. So it'll be interesting to see how much power these people actually have.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think you're confusing multiplayer games and GaaS.
No, I have been working for years on both single player and multiplayer GaaS for browser and mobile.

Our small studio was one of the early big top players on the area, a top AAA publisher bought us to learn from that experience and enter the mobile, F2P and GaaS markets.

GaaS refers to "game as a service" to differentiate to the previous "game as a product" paradigm, when we made games without postlaunch content, released them, forgot about them and moved to the next project.

Games as a service are designed to be instead under constant evolution after launch, with tweaks, fixes, internal server improvements/changes/optimizations and normally new content or features to improve it and keep it fresh.

They get supported as long as it keeps performing well enough (typically years) but also providr benefits such as being able to scale down development or shut them down if the game doesn't work well enough, having originally released only a MVP instead of having spent a full game budget on it.

Meaning, are released with only a portion of the planned content and features, and depending on performance its post launch support gets scaled up or down.

PS Home was pure live service, but it wasn't a major game.
PS Home got over 40M players, got post launch support for 7 years with a ton of new features and content and generated a lot of profit.

It was a huge and very successful project. But due to its casual nature people overlooks its complexity and the amount of work needed behind it.

Concord is a very different element in PlayStation's Studios live service agenda. It's not only their first internal major GaaS game, but the first from a company they bought in their string of studio acquisitions, which was the point of my comment, which I couldn't have made more clear.
Concord is the 6th GaaS of their "GaaS of 12 franchises" push after MLB, GT7, Destiny 2, Firewall Ultra, Helldivers 2. Which as I mentioned wasn't the first ones.

But yes, not counting Firesprite's Horizon CoM, Bluepoint's work in GoWR and Nixxe's PC port is the first game -and in particular, GaaS- a relatively recently acquired studio released.

There are absolutely people made at even live service Sony games being on PC. Many posters on this very forum have stated that all Sony games should be exclusive to PS4 and PS5. Some have given reasons such as the PS+ requirement and others are just mad at the general fact that these games are going to PC.

I don't care whether you prefer to play on console or PC.

Concord will likely fail, but what my point was that there are specific people with specific agendas for wanting the game to fail. What is actually interesting is whether these people can effectively drown out interest in the game if it is well-received. As I mentioned before, the game is definitely going to be review bombed. So it'll be interesting to see how much power these people actually have.
Other than the people who hate all Sony games because are Xbox/Nintendo/etc fanboys, there are a tiny portion of the PS fanbase who are Sony fanboys who hate GaaS/PC games.

But I don't think they'll be an issue because most of that same people claims that Sony games don't exist and that Sony has no games released or announced. So Concord doesn't exist for them.

TLOU2 had its woke controversy but got very successful. Helldivers 2 had its controversy but continue very successful. That Helldivers 2 controversy was supposedly going to affect GoT PC but it also got very successful. At some point Destiny 2 had multiple controversies, and kept being super successful. Typically these controversies are just a tiny vocal portion of the whole playerbase.

I assume that with Concord some people will complain, but the game will be successful or not for its own merits, separatedly from any possible controversy.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think most Sony fans are actually mad that TLOU online was cancelled
Nah, just a tiny portion.

In most cases same ones that before cancelling it were complaining about ND being busy working on a MP/GaaS title. And the same ones who are now complaining about ND not having released anything for a while.

Meaning, they complain about anything ND does or doesn't do, even if that goes against the narrative they had months before.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
No, I have been working for years on both single player and multiplayer GaaS for browser and mobile.

Our small studio was one of the early big top players on the area, a top AAA publisher bought us to learn from that experience and enter the mobile, F2P and GaaS markets.

GaaS refers to "game as a service" to differentiate to the previous "game as a product" paradigm, when we made games without postlaunch content, released them, forgot about them and moved to the next project.

Games as a service are designed to be instead under constant evolution after launch, with tweaks, fixes, internal server improvements/changes/optimizations and normally new content or features to improve it and keep it fresh.

They get supported as long as it keeps performing well enough (typically years) but also providr benefits such as being able to scale down development or shut them down if the game doesn't work well enough, having originally released only a MVP instead of having spent a full game budget on it.

Meaning, are released with only a portion of the planned content and features, and depending on performance its post launch support gets scaled up or down.

PS Home got over 40M players, got post launch support for 7 years with a ton of new features and content and generated a lot of profit.

It was a huge and very successful project. But due to its casual nature people overlooks its complexity and the amount of work needed behind it.

Concord is the 6th GaaS of their "GaaS of 12 franchises" push after MLB, GT7, Destiny 2, Firewall Ultra, Helldivers 2. Which as I mentioned wasn't the first ones.

But yes, not counting Firesprite's Horizon CoM, Bluepoint's work in GoWR and Nixxe's PC port is the first game -and in particular, GaaS- a relatively recently acquired studio released.

Other than the people who hate all Sony games because are Xbox/Nintendo/etc fanboys, there are a tiny portion of the PS fanbase who are Sony fanboys who hate GaaS/PC games.

But I don't think they'll be an issue because most of that same people claims that Sony games don't exist and that Sony has no games released or announced. So Concord doesn't exist for them.

official-categorization-of-playstation-studios-by-sony-v0-vot5t0yunc4d1.png

You really have to start listening to what people say rather than just replying. Don't know if it is your poor English or maybe it is a personality quirk.

• First party, Internal
  • Pure GaaS focus
  • Major title

No one would refer to PS Home as a major title. Again, you're doing gymnastics to try to make up for the fact that you simply didn't read what I said or didn't comprehend it.

You're still to this moment bringing up externally developed games.

TLOU2 had its woke controversy but got very successful. Helldivers 2 had its controversy but continue very successful. That Helldivers 2 controversy was supposedly going to affect GoT PC but it also got very successful. At some point Destiny 2 had multiple controversies, and kept being super successful. Typically these controversies are just a tiny vocal portion of the whole playerbase.

I assume that with Concord some people will complain, but the game will be successful or not for its own merits, separatedly from any possible controversy.

TLOU2 definitely didn't sell as well as Sony had hoped and the review bombing and controversy certainly aided in slowing the games' sales, especially towards launch.

The controversies around Helldivers 2 and Destiny 2 were not the same, but yes, had impacts on their sales and continuous play. They had to delay Destiny 2 Final Shape as a result, as well as Marathon, which resulted in layoffs.

The biggest difference between TLOU2, Helldivers 2, and Destiny 2, is that by the time controversy hit these games they were already well established. Concord is surrounded by negativity before any end user has touched the controls. Again, you see people thumbs downing even negative previews on the game. That says a lot about how irrational people are towards the game and their desire to suppress it.

P.S. you continue to edit your posts with entirely new content which is a massive abuse of the edit button. Just make another post when you're doing more than just editing content.