Concord Open Beta starts July 18 | Concord’s monetised content will be exclusively cosmetic | Early Previews are out

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
There definitely an active campaign against this game. Super fascinating to see how this playouts.

Previews are so positive, but every preview is slammed with downvotes.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
There definitely an active campaign against this game. Super fascinating to see how this playouts.

Previews are so positive, but every preview is slammed with downvotes.
Absolutely there is an active campaign against this game and I think the culprit is Microsoft. Microsoft paid for exclusivity on a free to play game that's a hero shooter called Fragpunk which is releasing next year. Slim ball scum bag Phil Spencer was port pegging for Helldivers 2 while at the same time making deals to keep a major free to play gaas of PlayStation. He has assembled his army of astroturfers to post negative comments about Concord for sure.

• angry
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Absolutely there is an active campaign against this game and I think the culprit is Microsoft. Microsoft paid for exclusivity on a free to play game that's a hero shooter called Fragpunk which is releasing next year. Slim ball scum bag Phil Spencer was port pegging for Helldivers 2 while at the same time making deals to keep a major free to play gaas of PlayStation. He has assembled his army of astroturfers to post negative comments about Concord for sure.

I don't think Microsoft is behind the campaign. I think it's much more nuanced than that.

As I said, you have fans of valorant (over 20 million players), overwatch (over 100 million players), xbox (over 50 million players), sony single player gamers (over 30 million players), steam, and anti-woke crusaders all crashing in on this.

Any one of these groups could be successful in tanking a game, so the collective? I would be stunned if this game is a success, but what will make it even more interesting is if the reception from people who actually play/buy the game is positive and how this campaign runs into them.

I don't think we've seen anything quite like this in gaming before. It's a real test.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Nah, plenty of gaas hate in the ps camp without need of external forces. Focus takes away from the sp.

• brain

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
It's not weird. There is no one at Sony affiliated with those IP. Those IP never sold that well relative to today's blockbuster games, especially Warhawk and MAG.

These IP don't have the value that many people think they do.

I think SOCOM has the most of the three, but again, Zipper Interactive doesn't exist anymore. Who is going to make the game and who wants to make the game? You go into that so utterly constrained by what the fans of the franchises want vs what would sell in today's market, that you're better off going with an original IP that doesn't have the baggage.

Making an entirely new IP called Concord makes far less sense.

Sony is sitting on treasure trove of IPs which can be revived.

You don’t need the original developers to revive them.

There are countless examples of it.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Making an entirely new IP called Concord makes far less sense.

Sony is sitting on treasure trove of IPs which can be revived.

You don’t need the original developers to revive them.

There are countless examples of it.

Again for any of those games to be successful today they'd have to be drastically different from what they were back then. This results in angering the original fans to the point that you have to ask yourself why bother?

There are countless examples of THIS.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Again for any of those games to be successful today they'd have to be drastically different from what they were back then. This results in angering the original fans to the point that you have to ask yourself why bother?

There are countless examples of THIS.

The advantages of reviving SOCOM, MAG and Warhawk far outweigh a new IP called Concord.

Not shitting on Concord. Just baffling that Sony continues ignore IPs which have far more chance of being successful.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
The advantages of reviving SOCOM, MAG and Warhawk far outweigh a new IP called Concord.

Not shitting on Concord. Just baffling that Sony continues ignore IPs which have far more chance of being successful.

You're still ignoring that reviving those games would look nothing like they looked back then and if it did they wouldn't be successful today.

You're still ignoring that old fans would be angry that these new games are different and that new fans aren't attached to the old IPs at all.

So you're just repeating that they have a far better chance of being successful, despite that not being the case at all. All the major GaaS games today are not revived old franchises. Can you give us some examples of some revived franchises that topped the GaaS charts?

• brain

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I think Sony could ease a lot of the hate for Concord if they revealed their single player roadmap PRIOR to Concord's release, but the timeline just doesn't add up.

The game comes out August 23rd and I just don't think we get a showcase before then, but I think that would be for the best, especially if they did a PS5 Pro release in September instead of October or November.

We should be seeing a 30th anniversary edition PS5 and maybe plates and controllers this holiday season. So it would be great if they release the Pro early so it doesn't coincide with that.

Astrobot releases September 6th and I think that would be a great day to launch the PS5 Pro.

So I'd have an event maybe August 15th, announced August 8th.

You combine the positivity of the beta in July and remove some of the detractors who will likely review bomb by doing an event focused on single player games, so when the game releases it releases to general positivity. Shadow drop a demo of Astrobot.

Instead, I think we'll probably see an event in September like we saw with the PS4 Pro with a release in November. Sony didn't announce the PS4 anniversary edition until the anniversary date with preorders opening 3 days later. That must have made Christmas pretty tight window.

Releasing anniversary plates would allow everyone to get involved rather than just a few people who hadn't purchased it yet.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022

Female Velma Scooby Doo head

But pronouns are he/him

With Dr Eggman fat belly

Sweet Baby Inch gona love it

michael fassbender perfection GIF

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Nah, plenty of gaas hate in the ps camp without need of external forces. Focus takes away from the sp.
One could argue that PC is taking Sony's focus away. For example PC just got a port of GoT, Sony did not feel the need to give us a summer blockbuster because well they gained extra revenue this quarter by releasing a PC port instead. Before they started porting to PC Sony had no choice but to deliver quality games every quarter, now they can just port to PC to get those numbers and results. It sucks for PlayStation gamers. We can experience 1st party game droughts but Sony's pocketbook doesn't, I'm not liking this.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
But thats not the main character in final fantasy 7

Exactly. There isn't a "main character" in a hero shooter either.

If you made a hero shooter out of FF7, Wedge would certainly be a character.

You don't have to use him. You find the character that you like. Some people like goofy looking characters. Look at Bob in tekken.

r1496302063662256.png

People are looking for random reasons to hate this guy that just don't add up

• Heart