Confirmed: Deviation Games ("new" studio from former Treyarch devs and former Sony partner) has been officially closed without shipping a game

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Pathetic, we are getting more canceled games then game announcements.

PS5 Sony sucks.
Calm down, Hulst said, they have 25 games...
Straight Face Trying Not To Laugh GIF

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Calm down, Hulst said, they have 25 games...
Straight Face Trying Not To Laugh GIF
How many more do they need to cancel to run out? I lost count.

Only safe sequels will be spared apparently. Odds of the next ND or SSM game being cancelled are pretty high.

Hulst is a complete bum, I bet he tried to cancel Helldivers 2.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It's crazy two months ago according to their linked they hired someone smh.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Someone needs to make of all the companies lost in the last couple of years. It's adding up.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
This won't be the only "Veterans from XYZ studios" funded by mostly Venture Capital money to get closed down before they even ship a game, I suspect more will come in due time, especially with the current gaming climate.
Really was a explosion of those in from 2017 till 2021~ and most of them haven't even had any reveal or if they did, it's still just a name/CGI reveal.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Where are my Jim Ryan fans?

At least we got Helldivers from the GAAS push but overall.... hasn't really been a good thing.

They needed some GAAS but it was overkill and the way they went about it was not well conceived IMO.
On the flip side watching his legacy crumble along side his limped exist from Playstation is pretty satisfying to see. At least with all these GaaS stuff crumbling they can allocate resources back to what was working before (hopefully)

Reactions: Bryank75

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
On the flip side watching his legacy crumble along side his limped exist from Playstation is pretty satisfying to see. At least with all these GaaS stuff crumbling they can allocate resources back to what was working before (hopefully)
Nah Totoki will continue his strategy. He and Jim are two sides of the same coin.

Nitro

10 Apr 2023
North Pole
Pathetic, we are getting more canceled games then game announcements.

Their game was cancelled and the studio placed in extreme jeopardy almost a full year ago. I'm perplexed why members are treating this as startling new information.

Even news of Sony picking over the bones and hiring Deviation Games talent is old news

Attachments

• ex-deviation.jpg
    ex-deviation.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 3

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Nah Totoki will continue his strategy. He and Jim are two sides of the same coin.
Nonsense. Totoki is cleaning the mess Jim Ryan had left. If there is someone who will fix PlayStation, then it’s Hiroki Totoki. He is about to put an end to western leadership and Hollywood blockbusters madness. Hence why he publicly criticised the studios and their exploded budgets. Hiroki Totoki is Sony’s Tatsumi Kimishima. The man who restructured Nintendo into a successful company again. That’s the type of guy Hiroki is.

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
Nonsense. Totoki is cleaning the mess Jim Ryan had left. If there is someone who will fix PlayStation, then it’s Hiroki Totoki. He is about to put an end to western leadership and Hollywood blockbusters madness. Hence why he publicly criticised the studios and their exploded budgets. Hiroki Totoki is Sony’s Tatsumi Kimishima. The man who restructured Nintendo into a successful company again. That’s the type of guy Hiroki is.
What are some key points of Totoki action though? Any insights? Also, isn't he only a temporary CEO?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Sounds good to me, hope that it turns out this way....

• Shake
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
😂😂😂 its so funny that I'm 99% sure this is @Yurinka
?

Totoki said the 12 games were alive back then, yes. Time later they cancelled TLOU Online, London Studio's game. If the studio just announced to shut down, it's because they cancelled it, or moved it to the new SIE team with ex-Deviation workers.

And according to Jason Twisted Metal too. But he said that one wasn't still greenlighted, which pretty likely wasn't one of the 12 games mentioned in 2021. Because it should be greenlighted before/during 2021, as it the case of the Firesprite MP game we saw during years in their job offers.

So out of 12, seems they cancelled pretty likely 3, maybe 4. Adding the 3 Bungie IPs, means they have 11 or 12 alive.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
They must not have been able to pitch a 2nd project to continue the studio. Oh well, that's what you get for chasing the live services. At least they nipped it in the bud before it could suck.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
What are some key points of Totoki action though? Any insights? Also, isn't he only a temporary CEO?
He is like Tatsumi Kimishima. A man who is conservative and modest. He follows a clear path and knows to plan ahead.
Yes Totoki is only for a year the CEO of PlayStation but in the meantime he will appoint the fitting candidate. This time it will be a Japanese to be appointed as such. Neither Eric Lempel nor anyone from SIE America/Europe is benefiting for this position. With the aid of recent decisions and statements you can clearly see that Sony’s execs are tired of Hollywood blockbuster madness. Irresponsible budgets and political messages are enough. This time I guarantee you it will be someone Japanese to be next PlayStation CEO. My bet is Kiichiro Urata which also has for a fun fact, the highest position after CEO: Company Director of SIE. He will very likely takeover.

Reactions: anonpuffs

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They must not have been able to pitch a 2nd project to continue the studio. Oh well, that's what you get for chasing the live services. At least they nipped it in the bud before it could suck.
Probably what happened has been that when it was reviewed, Sony asked to change/improve some huge parts, highly delaying it. So to compensate the budget fired a portion of people, who wouldn't be needed for maybe a year or two or were in charge of that part that wouldn't have been good enough.

And then today/this week, half a year later they had another milestone and again missed it. So Sony would have cancelled the project, or if lucky moved it to the new SIE team with ex-Deviation members.

Devinetively something weird happened in the studio because it's rare to see the head of the studio leaving and later leading a different studio for the same publisher. Which leads to think Sony and him didn't have any issue, but was instead an issue between him and the studio and Sony was on his side.

He is like Tatsumi Kimishima. A man who is conservative and modest. He follows a clear path and knows to plan ahead.
Yes Totoki is only for a year the CEO of PlayStation but in the meantime he will appoint the fitting candidate. This time it will be a Japanese to be appointed as such. Neither Eric Lempel nor anyone from SIE America/Europe is benefiting for this position. With the aid of recent decisions and statements you can clearly see that Sony’s execs are tired of Hollywood blockbuster madness. Irresponsible budgets and political messages are enough. This time I guarantee you it will be someone Japanese to be next PlayStation CEO. My bet is Kiichiro Urata which also has for a fun fact, the highest position after CEO: Company Director of SIE. He will very likely takeover.
Totoki isn't supposed to be CEO for a year. He will be interim CEO since April 1st until the next CEO starts, which could be the week later.

Under the SIE CEO there are several senior vicepresidents, these ones: https://sonyinteractive.com/en/our-company/
Notice there's no Kiichiro Urata mentioned there in their leadership list.

I'd say Eric Lempel and Lin Tao may be the ones with more chances. Probably Eric because of being specially successful and because of having a longer relationship with SIE/PS.

Urata instead is "SVP, Head of Japan Asia Partner Development & Relations / member of the Board of Directors". Before he was CEO of Capcom USA & Europe subsidiaries (not Capcom) during 10 years (2011-2021), when these subsidiaries did suck (and still do). Before that he did work at Microsoft as "Corporate Officer, Interactive Entertainment Business & Strategy" since 2022 to 2011. I highly doubt they'd put someone as CEO who has only been 3 years in the company and before that was CEO of subsidiaries that did suck, plus on top of that could be a MS "secret agent spy".

Regarding budgets, they'll continue making AAA games with huge budgets. Good luck if you think Sony is now going to make indies or AA. They just shutted down some projects because needed to cut some fat and pretty likely saw they weren't good enough, as usual in any gaming company. Normal business. The strategy continues being the same.

Totoki isn't the CEO, he's the chairman. March 31 Jim Ryan will retire, and April 1st Totoki will become interim CEO. Meaning, he'll be temporally CEO until the next proper CEO starts to work. So maybe during a week, a month or who knows.

Interim CEOs normally don't take any meaningful decision other than to handle the transition from a CEO to the next one. Only maybe if there is something very important that can't wait until the next CEO starts to work in that position.

At least we got Helldivers from the GAAS push but overall.... hasn't really been a good thing.
They also have MLB, GT7, Destiny 2 and Firewall Ultra. Plus the ones to be released.

Their game was cancelled and the studio placed in extreme jeopardy almost a full year ago.
No, the game has been cancelled (or moved to other team) now. A studio can't have around 100 AAA game devs in LA during almost a year doing nothing and not getting paid.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: anonpuffs