Console wars are over. Microsoft ramping up 3rd party development. |UP| Chris Dring: Xbox flatlining in EU, Xbox games coming to PS & less focus on GP

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
FF16 will do good numbers on PC, but will FF16 even sell 500k copies on Xbox? 250k? Most console gamepass users will just wait and assume it hits gamepass. Unless they get a sweet gamepass deal, it will be DOA in terms of revenue for Square enix.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Insane copium from these clowns 😂
ZjO3Sxg.jpeg

• haha
Reactions: saltyashell

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
In all honesty, the lord of cereal hit the nail on the head. Microsoft doesn't need to be #1 or even #2 out of the three hardware manufacturers to be massively successful and have a lot of revenue and profits when it comes to their gaming division. Xbox One was around 50m according to Electronic Arts a while back and Xbox Series X/S is around 25m-30m worldwide. Sony will outsell Microsoft 2 to 1 worldwide like they did last generation and yet, Microsoft isn't going anywhere because they own too many major IP's that make them a shit ton of revenue for them. Console, PC and mobile. Jeez. They make a killing.

And that's before including the 30% they get from third party sales because it's not just from the base games, it's also from micro-transactions or even older games that are backwards compatible. Microsoft will make 100% of the money on their own platform, 70% from Steam/Epic, 70% from Sony and that's before accounting for their mobile revenue or cloud revenue or Game Pass or percentages they get from EA Play being in Game Pass Ultimate or Ubisoft+ being available on Xbox.

The console sales are literally the only negative that Microsoft even has and does anyone think that any of the higher ups care about that? Nope. And I don't mean Spencer/Booty/Bond because they're not running the show anymore. Nadella/Stuart/Hood are running the show now and all they care about is revenue and profit. They don't care where or how they obtain it. It's that simple. The sooner everyone comes to this realization, the better off everyone will be.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
In all honesty, the lord of cereal hit the nail on the head. Microsoft doesn't need to be #1 or even #2 out of the three hardware manufacturers to be massively successful and have a lot of revenue and profits when it comes to their gaming division. Xbox One was around 50m according to Electronic Arts a while back and Xbox Series X/S is around 25m-30m worldwide. Sony will outsell Microsoft 2 to 1 worldwide like they did last generation and yet, Microsoft isn't going anywhere because they own too many major IP's that make them a shit ton of revenue for them. Console, PC and mobile. Jeez. They make a killing.

And that's before including the 30% they get from third party sales because it's not just from the base games, it's also from micro-transactions or even older games that are backwards compatible. Microsoft will make 100% of the money on their own platform, 70% from Steam/Epic, 70% from Sony and that's before accounting for their mobile revenue or cloud revenue or Game Pass or percentages they get from EA Play being in Game Pass Ultimate or Ubisoft+ being available on Xbox.

The console sales are literally the only negative that Microsoft even has and does anyone think that any of the higher ups care about that? Nope. And I don't mean Spencer/Booty/Bond because they're not running the show anymore. Nadella/Stuart/Hood are running the show now and all they care about is revenue and profit. They don't care where or how they obtain it. It's that simple. The sooner everyone comes to this realization, the better off everyone will be.
Stop lying please. Xbox revenues were in decline yoy, they had to spend 80 billion (with a b) just to see some (small) growth....they're not doing good at all, by any metric.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Stop lying please. Xbox revenues were in decline yoy, they had to spend 80 billion (with a b) just to see some (small) growth....they're not doing good at all, by any metric.

I'm not lying. You're excluding ABK which makes no sense because Microsoft OWNS ABK. It's why they acquired them and it doesn't matter what their revenue would be without ABK because that's simply not what the reality is.

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I'm not lying. You're excluding ABK which makes no sense because Microsoft OWNS ABK. It's why they acquired them and it doesn't matter what their revenue would be without ABK because that's simply not what the reality is.
The problem is now they own ABK but haven't proven they're capable of managing a successful product. Within 5 years ABK will be dead as well.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I didn't exclude ABK...I said they had to buy ABK to even see any growth at all because their revenues were declining yoy prior to ABK. And even with ABK added, Xbox is still doing very poorly.

Btw, ABK has been losing them money for the last 2 quarters.... $350 million loss in q3 and $570 million loss in q4.....

GMEcJaHbkAAxM8o

GTwwrl9WMAAinL3

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
The problem is now they own ABK but haven't proven they're capable of managing a successful product. Within 5 years ABK will be dead as well.

When a 57 rated COD MW III can sell tens of millions of copies and make them a killing, nothing is going to hurt or kill them. If anything, it's wishful thinking. I don't see ABK dying whatsoever. If anything, they'll make even more money than they did before.

I didn't exclude ABK...I said they had to buy ABK to even see any growth at all because their revenues were declining yoy prior to ABK. And even with ABK added, Xbox is still doing very poorly.

Btw, ABK has been losing them money for the last 2 quarters.... $350 million loss in q3 and $570 million loss in q4.....

Okay. My mistake then. We'll see what happens in the future.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
When a 57 rated COD MW III can sell tens of millions of copies and make them a killing, nothing is going to hurt or kill them. If anything, it's wishful thinking. I don't see ABK dying whatsoever. If anything, they'll make even more money than they did before.

Okay. My mistake then. We'll see what happens in the future.
It's not about sales. It's about growth. Microsoft needs to show growth or they kill the project. They've shuttered dozens of projects because they don't grow as intended. Mark my words, within 5y both gamepass and significant parts of ABK will be shut down or spun off.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Not only that, before Xbox was simply just a basement entity for MS, no one cared or bothered at the top, the numbers were rounding errors for them.
Now he is in 80 billion debt to HQ with his division and the CFO alongside investors want returns on their money. You reap what you sow.

One of the dumbest moves in gaming history. Phil made a lot of bets and they all failed, but he didn't expect Jim Ryan to be the biggest hindrance with the regulators on CoD.

Last edited:

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Seems like a simple port if going to PC and Xbox I assume. All these console games going to PC lately really makes me think PC next gen still. I have been a console gamer all my life.

If it weren't for the XsS I would say it should be easy.