Destiny 2 developer Bungie is the latest PlayStation studio to have layoffs. Full scope isn't clear yet, but CEO Pete Parsons emailed the company.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Delay worked in Witch Queen’s favor but it also shifts their content roll out 4 months. Marathon probably feb 25 earliest then .

That's what I'm hoping for... that they are just putting in an extra effort with the final shape so it can have extra shelf life...
I think their GaaS is not going well.
Deviation project struggling
Factions 2 struggling
One of Bungie's projects likely failing
A specific team at Visual Arts was likely supporting one of these 3 failures.

Bungie is just delayed... but I suppose you could say that is a bit of struggle.

Destiny expansion is just 4 months delay though. The real struggle might be Marathon... I hope it turns out good though.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
He is just trolling. Eitherway, something is wrong at Playstation and the recent events are related to Jim leaving.
Yeah, something we don’t know yet went really bad. If PS is willing to can GaaS projects, if that’s what happened, instead of releasing low-quality duds like Redfall, that’s the right call.

Reactions: Nomen_Nescio

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
That's what I'm hoping for... that they are just putting in an extra effort with the final shape so it can have extra shelf life...

It’s not the same kind of delay. This seems related directly due to increased workload due to staff cuts. The art staff lay off is a bigger deal than others creatively. Because up until this staff news these games would’ve release as planned. Bungie also had a filler anniversary dlc that filled the delay time. This time that might be an issue.

The delays for the release of either product isn’t a big deal. What is the reason behind it… clearly being related to budget and staff cuts. You just like to think the restructure moving forward will work.

Paul tassi will write an article per day on this…

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think their GaaS is not going well.
Deviation project struggling
Factions 2 struggling
One of Bungie's projects likely failing
A specific team at Visual Arts was likely supporting one of these 3 failures.
THIS. Think of all this time and money wasted when they shouldve acquired a company that does GAAS or a mobile game company. Heck square enix alone with ff14 and their mobile division probably wouldve been alot less sloppy.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
THIS. Think of all this time and money wasted when they shouldve acquired a company that does GAAS or a mobile game company. Heck square enix alone with ff14 and their mobile division probably wouldve been alot less sloppy.
They did acquire a company that does GaaS. Bungie.

But then still decided to push it onto their SP studios....

• brain
Reactions: Dabaus and Jim Ryan

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Some are redundancies, others are not. This has nothing to do with consolidation as some people suggested.
Unless production is the same thing as programmers...that doesnt seem to be that bad in terms of actual game development? Obviously feel for the people that lost their jobs and hope they land on their feet.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
A big part of the purchase was to leverage Bungie's expertise with Sony's existing studios. And whatever else you want to say about S-E's output, their reputation in regards to co-operating with foreigners is mud, so they are clearly unsuited to that role outside of Japan.

This is to say nothing of S-E's intrinsic value as a maker of games and other media, though.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I meant like along with bungie not either or.

Bungie deal came after. Partly to quality control those projects. And based on rumor of how those projects struggled. Timelines of it all make sense.

If that review axed the potential of these games (TLOU) if not their development altogether (Deviation). Then the possible pivot is probably the right move also.

Bungie will communicate their end to players for the most part. What Sony will about their gaming institutions as a whole? I don’t expect to hear anything concrete until Jim’s replacement is in.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
This could also mean Destiny 3. A shakeup like this would facilitate making it. There’s enough layoffs to think they’ll change most plans.

That project gummy bears project they leaked existing probably just got pushed back for a long while…

Edit: rumor mill is gonna be fun this week

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Ryan
16 Feb 2023
Seems like SIE is consolidating some of the ancillary/support functions, MM also seemed to have cuts to the social media team. Surprised that it hadn't happened earlier tbh sad for those who've lost their jobs though.
Consolidation of marketing seems like it could be being driven by Eric Lempel, adds fuel to the fire that he might be the next SIE CEO.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Seems like SIE is consolidating some of the ancillary/support functions, MM also seemed to have cuts to the social media team. Surprised that it hadn't happened earlier tbh sad for those who've lost their jobs though.
Consolidation of marketing seems like it could be being driven by Eric Lempel, adds fuel to the fire that he might be the next SIE CEO.

There’s arguments being made that Bungie having a publishing arm was overlap to maybe be handled by SIE’s resources. Even so changes like this have often led to Bungie changing plans on the dime with their projects. It’s seems to be a substantial enough cut to the workforce they’ve grown since joining sony where it could be more than just project delays.

Ironic since the live service review that helped lead to this pivot in game investment is probably Pete parsons own doing. His Twitter tears to all those he personally axed is a bit of an eye roll. There’s the question on how much of this call was him and/or Sony. Destiny business definitely took a hit since Lightfall even if quality or condition of the game itself seems fine.

Concord is being led by displaced BioWare and Bungie devs if I recall. Honestly, they just be rolled into Bungie if they want these projects to have such oversight.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
I've been hearing about layoffs all year now (both film and gaming). The last one was Epic laying off a lot of their employees. It sucks. I've been there more than once. Had to move into a much more stable industry before retirement. Hope people can find their footing and not be impacted too much to get employment elsewhere.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Just seen it on push square the person they used as an example was pretty weak she was only at bungie for 2 years as a community manager & let's face it bungie have been crap for a long time the only reason they continue to make money is because of the dedicated fanbase that are happy to be nickel & dimed at every opportunity