OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I loved Elden Ring and I loved GOW:R..... There are not many companies that can do either type of game to the level demonstrated in those titles.

We don't get too many PlayStation narrative games, I always want more...so I don't understand anyone saying that we need less of them or that somehow they are not good for the industry or anything along those lines.

There is no 'better' in art unless you are talking about just basic levels of technique....

Plenty of room for all types of narrative experiences and Sony / PlayStation are the reason we have Souls games now anyway, the first being commissioned by them as an Elder Scrolls competitor.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I mean he’s kinda right.
I hate politics but people who think Musk and Trump are your friends and no different to other politicians and rich guys then lol.
Dont get me wrong, its fun seeing the usual twitter folks complaining about Msk, but they all suck and arent the saviours
I don't think that musk and trump are close to be in the same category.

I have seen people who really see Trump as a literal savior. Musk had a following, like most billionaires do, he did invent and get in the weeds of highly technical projects, Trump is just a business man/politician. Most see shades of grey in musk, the guy is definitely a mixed bag, but he's way better than a lot of the other elites.

Reactions: Kokoloko

twinspectre

8 Jan 2023
cyberspace
I loved Elden Ring and I loved GOW:R..... There are not many companies that can do either type of game to the level demonstrated in those titles.

We don't get too many PlayStation narrative games, I always want more...so I don't understand anyone saying that we need less of them or that somehow they are not good for the industry or anything along those lines.

There is no 'better' in art unless you are talking about just basic levels of technique....

Plenty of room for all types of narrative experiences and Sony / PlayStation are the reason we have Souls games now anyway, the first being commissioned by them as an Elder Scrolls competitor.
I'm not saying "Sony must stop doing narrative games", i'm glad the market has everything for both me and you to enjoy.
I'm just saying that to me Jaffe is right :p
To me games could be much different in term of "story telling".

Reactions: Bryank75

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I get it, you don't understand what games could be, but sadly some people (don't want to sound rude) are handicapping this medium that could be unique.
Such visionary. Go make the game that shows the way, or tell us what to play.

Honestly, I m tired of people like you who seem to think they have the answer, yet the games they like aren't that good to begin with.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

twinspectre

8 Jan 2023
cyberspace
Such visionary. Go make the game that shows the way, or tell us what to play.

Honestly, I m tired of people like you who seem to think they have the answer, yet the games they like aren't that good to begin with.
Ah Sarcasm I see. Avoid I must.
Look, enjoy what you want but don't tell people "he's wrong", when the only thing you praise probably is a game that bend over for the mighty Hollywood. Have a nice day.
Games != Movies
I'm tired of people confusing two different mediums.

Bort

8 Jan 2023
I wonder if hating a random thing is the building block to objectophelia.

No shame. I remember that the Vib Ribbon Trance Enhancer lead to mass wanking via a video game.

Also, if you have a loving relationship with a console, that must be like, better than a lamp?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I think you don't know what I mean, lol.
Half life isn't "spoon feeding" you with "forced" cutscenes, you can understand what happend even without talking to npcs, why? because you're experiencing everything in front of your eyes.
Metroid Prime tells you the lore of Tallon IV just by exploring the place, and you understand what happend to Tallon IV.
I bet a game like GOW or LAST of US, if you try to play it like a Metroid Prime or Half life you have no clue what's going on, because these games are designed with "forced" story telling and "forced" cinematics.
There is no way to avoid half-life cutscenes… you know what is happening because the cutscenes.

Make a video of half-life without cutscenes and you won’t have any story at all.
Make a video of half-life with only the cutscenes and you have the fully story.

The fact that only one option is fully completed (watching only the cutscenes) should tell you how mistaken your are getting about the game.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I'm not saying "Sony must stop doing narrative games", i'm glad the market has everything for both me and you to enjoy.
I'm just saying that to me Jaffe is right :p
To me games could be much different in term of "story telling".

Fair enough, if you enjoy those type of games....

I just don't want to see a certain type of game stop being made cause a few people like another type more.

For example: If a few people on the net said WRPG's are better than JRPG's and we don't need JRPG's anymore cause WRPG's do everything better.... I think we would see a lot of upset people. Or even if people said that JRPG's offend them....

(It's a bit like that guitar lessons joke the unfunny Late Show presenter ripped off from Ricky Gervais... no need to be angry, the lessons are not for you)

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: twinspectre

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Half life has 0 "forced" cutscenes, with Half Life you can skip the guy talking and still understand what's going on.
Let's say Half Life had 0 scientist in black mesa, and you see the "events" unfold, do you still understand what's going on or do you need somebody stopping you and telling you "There was an accident and now Aliens invaded us thanks to the resonance cascade".
You need to go replay it, a lot of times you are locked in a room or small area while the conversation happens. The games begin with one, no need to go very far to experience it.

Games like GoW, TLoU, uncharted, etc. All have tons of NPCs that you can just walk by while they say their line as well as standard cut scenes.

I'm not saying one is better, there is room for many approaches.

Sony also made that robot game that comes with the ps5, it's just perfect in so many ways, I wish they made a bigger more challenging version of it.

twinspectre

8 Jan 2023
cyberspace
There is no way to avoid half-life cutscenes… you know what is happening because the cutscenes.

Make a video of half-life without cutscenes and you won’t have any story at all.
Make a video of half-life with only the cutscenes and you have the fully story.

The fact that only one option is fully completed (watching only the cutscenes) should tell you how mistaken your are getting about the game.
Kermit GIF

Bort

8 Jan 2023
, Cliffy B
I just  know that he fist bumps himself after sex, then talks continuously about fantasy football and SCUBA diving.

I feel like he has lots of custom Tshirts, but they are all red.

twinspectre

8 Jan 2023
cyberspace
You need to go replay it, a lot of times you are locked in a room or small area while the conversation happens. The games begin with one, no need to go very far to experience it.

Games like GoW, TLoU, uncharted, etc. All have tons of NPCs that you can just walk by while they say their line as well as standard cut scenes.

Sony also made that robot game that comes with the ps5, it's just perfect in so many ways, I wish they made a bigger more challenging version of it.
You mean the opening? the opening isn't telling you nothing, the opening is just bringing you to black mesa.
these rooms that you're talking about are made to "make you understand" what your job is. They are not telling you the story, they are "interacting" with you, like me and you if we worked together.

twinspectre

8 Jan 2023
cyberspace
Tell me how you avoid a cutscene if you basically locked to it? Most cutelacenes in half life you can’t left the room.

Without the cutscenes Half-life’s story doesn’t exists.
So, Our life has 0 cutscenes, so it means we have no clue what's going on in our life, right?

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
they used him for his IP and threw him out like garbage when he wasn't a hot commodity anymore. It happens, it sucks, and I see why he's got a sour taste in his mouth. But his case isn't unique, it's just how business works. The parent company retains IP ownership and can do with it as they please.

The TM revival and Drawn to Death didn't hit with critics or consumers. God of War has been reworked and retooled for modern audiences. Jaffe himself can't offer Sony anything further, and the new woke/touchy/eggshell walking western games industry would have a hissy fit over his public persona and demeanour.

He's damaged goods in Sony's eyes. I don't agree with it, but it is what it is.

Look at who Sony aligns themselves nowadays, in terms of creators. Jaffe just doesn't fit.

Last edited:

Bort

8 Jan 2023

In the first one you need to wait until you push the chair into the beam, the second one, you are stuck in a room with Alyx until they finish dicking around. They talk at you the entire time.

I enjoy cutscenes . I'm 60% into Farcry 6, and I wish it offered more third person (when flying ala Just Cause) and character driven cutscene interaction, in the vein of Ass Creed.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
You mean the opening? the opening isn't telling you nothing, the opening is just bringing you to black mesa.
these rooms that you're talking about are made to "make you understand" what your job is. They are not telling you the story, they are "interacting" with you, like me and you if we worked together.
I'm still unsure how you would understand the plot without the cut scenes. Imagine just being dropped in the giant thing without being told what all that lighting is about, or skipping any number of rooms where they expose stuff.

The game would be just a resin of Quake.

Status
Not open for further replies.