Dragon's Dogma 2 sold 3 million copies

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
The game is fantastic and it looks sooooo good.
I tried playing dragons dogma1 on pc after this... and I couldn't get into it desptite loving this one.
And everyone says first game is better..

Like... cmon (my ps5 shots)

pAAkvUU.jpeg

V8GPyNi.jpeg

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
?

From 7 to 12 all of them sold more than 1.5 million in US alone.
Some sold over 2.5 million in US alone.

I won’t call that a flop.
Original ff7 sold 7 mil copies after 20 years. Let’s not do this

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
The game is fantastic and it looks sooooo good.
I tried playing dragons dogma1 on pc after this... and I couldn't get into it desptite loving this one.
And everyone says first game is better..

Like... cmon (my ps5 shots)

pAAkvUU.jpeg

V8GPyNi.jpeg
Yeah I was surprised how look it looks even tho the promotional shots looked like shit. I just need find time to play.

Reactions: Sircaw and rofif

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Sony should learn from Capcom: it manages to produce games with moderate production costs, that are beautiful, complex and don't need to sell tens of millions to pay for themselves
Yea Sony should learn from Capcom that God of War, The Last of Us, Spider-man, Uncharted, Horizon, pretty much all the best selling non-Nintendo exclusive games of all time are all flops.

You really are a piece of work along with another on this forum. Never wrong and a waste of time debating.

You obviously know better than Square themselves.

Square Enix says FF15 is the best selling FF game at launch with 5 million copies sold. The only Multiplatform launch FF game.

Ethomaz says most FF games sold 5 million at launch and Square are wrong. The rest which had some exclusivity and affects sales for obvious reasons.

Ethomaz believes Ethomaz is correct and Square the makers of the game are incorrect.

Seriously you can’t make this up.
Of every thing Square Enix did wrong their handling of Final Fantasy has not been bad at all, people just need to let go of the idea that Final Fantasy is going to make Spider-man numbers.

FFXV, FFVII Remake, FFVII Rebirth and FFXIV (by all accounts as I never got past the trial) are all damn good games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luffy123

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Original ff7 sold 7 mil copies after 20 years. Let’s not do this
Not sure what you want to say here…
These are original FF7 sales:

Original (PS1): 10m (Japan: ~4.0-4.5m / West: ~5.5-6.0m)

Do you mean near 7 million west and call that bad? Plus it was not 20 years… original PS1 version stopped to sell way before 20 years… the 10 million data from Square Enix is from Nov 2009.

Now if you add others versions like the PC one that sold 1m+ in the west.

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The first DD sold 1.3 million.
The remaster sold 7.4 million.

From DD to DD2 the franchise grew.
That is what every single publisher or developer in the business calls a success.
So if they release DD2: Dark Arisen that version needs to sell 8 millions to "grow" or else the series is now a flop if we follow your Etho logic? I never heard of counting sales this way. What about Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royal? You think Sega is counting each sales separately?

Just bullshit as usual, you're making up rules to downplay the 3 millions sales of FF16 in 6 days. You should be ashamed to celebrate the same number in 2 months on multiple platforms for DD2 🤡

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
So if they release DD2: Dark Arisen that version needs to sell 8 millions to "grow" or else the series is now a flop if we follow your Etho logic? I never heard of counting sales this way. What about Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royal? You think Sega is counting each sales separately?

Just bullshit as usual, you're making up rules to downplay the 3 millions sales of FF16 in 6 days. You should be ashamed to celebrate the same number in 2 months on multiple platforms for DD2 🤡
FFXVI 3 million are a decline for the franchise.
DD2 sold way better than Dark Arisen at launch (took 2 years to Dark Arisen sell 1 million).

Capcom indeed has motives to commemorate.

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
FFXVI 3 million are a decline for the franchise.
DD2 sold way better than Dark Arisen at launch (took 2 years to Dark Arisen sell 1 million).

Capcom indeed has motives to commemorate.

🤷‍♂️
It doesn’t matter when the cost ballooned how is that concept hard to grasp. If the first one sold 100k and the second 200k doesn’t automatically means is successful

Ffxvi selling 3mil copies in a week is a huge doesn’t matter how you slice it

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Are you serious when you compare a popular franchise like Final fantasy with a niche franchise like dragon's dogma ?

FGgXaIn.jpeg

Really ?

881903961265799208.webp
When FF16 had sold the same as Resident Evil 4 Remake and Street Fighter 6, people said the same thing. “Comparing a massive JRPG to a niche Fighting game”…
“How is Square gonna recoupe there sales blah blah blah…”

If you don’t see its one rule for eveyone else and another for Playstation exclusives then I dont know what to tell you

Also regardless of how much FF use to sell, selling 3 million is around 200million. It made its money back…

Last edited:

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
??? It's 2024, Sony spends over 200 million on its biggest AAAs
Because they see return. I’m pretty sure ghost of Tsushima 2 will have bigger budget for obvious reasons. Same as uncharted franchise. Tlous spider man. Horizon. Gow and etc. they all start with lower budget if they are successful they will get more money. Simple as that

Reactions: Diah and Kokoloko

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
When FF16 had sold the same as Resident Evil 4 Remake and Street Fighter 6, people said the same thing. Comparing a massive JRPG to a niche Fighting game…
“How is Square gonna recoupe there sales blah blah blah…”

If you don’t see its one rule for eveyone else and another for Playstation exclusives then I dont know what to tell you

Also regardless of how much FF use to sell, selling 3 million is around 200million. It made its money back…
They said the same thing about Tekken 8 (a niche fighting game lol) and Persona 3 Remake (niche JRPG series double lol). It's always cope from Nintendo, Xbox and PC stans.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Because they see return. I’m pretty sure ghost of Tsushima 2 will have bigger budget for obvious reasons. Same as uncharted franchise. Tlous spider man. Horizon. Gow and etc. they all start with lower budget if they are successful they will get more money. Simple as that
Since Xbox is moving away from exclusives, all the shill media and everyone is more concerned than ever for the cost of Playstation exclusives all a sudden.
“They take too long” ”They cost too much” “Not sustainable”. “3rd party exclusives is old news and not good for business”

They are not taking any longer then before. God of War Ragnarok took 4 years, Demons Souls took 2 years, TLOU2 and Lost Legacy took 4 years together. People dont need to be worried about Sony’s game developement costs and time. They need to focus on there own platforms.
Sony’s 1st party studio games are selling better than ever

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It doesn’t matter when the cost ballooned how is that concept hard to grasp. If the first one sold 100k and the second 200k doesn’t automatically means is successful

Ffxvi selling 3mil copies in a week is a huge doesn’t matter how you slice it
That doesn’t even make sense lol

If the first game sold 500k and the second sold 1m the developer/publisher see grow in the franchise… that is good no matter what weird spin you have in your mind… if they grow even more in the third game they will be even more happy.

If a game sell less each new entry after being constant for 20 years… something is not right.

What you said about dev costs is true and just force you to have to sell more… not less…

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
I know, but games are getting more expensive and they're not selling proportionally. They need to find a way to optimize game production