[Europe] PS5 sales are up 202% compared with the year before, Switch #2 (down 11%) and Xbox #3 (down 32%)

D

Deleted member 417

You don't hit market saturation right after only declining 11 percent. They have at least one more year of "good" sales, as is and then can start price-cutting if necessary.
I think sales will rapidly fall off of a cliff.

As to Switch 2 bombing, let's see what it actually is before preemptively deciding it's success or failure.
I base it entirely on Nintendo history. The last time they had 2 consecutively successful consoles was Nes>SNES. N64 bombed, so did gamecube. Wii was a huge success, Wii U was a disaster. Switch massive success, which means Switch 2 will bomb.

It's like Microsoft and their old patterns of Windows; Good, bad, good, bad, good...

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
That question probably haunts Phil Spencer's dreams every night.
Well, for Phil, the answer is simple.

Update that CV and put some feelers out for the next gig.

Also, Yurinka was absolutely correct, the PS3 was beating the 360 right from go, it just gave up a year headstart. Shortly after Phil became head of MSGS, the PS3 starting getting ahead.

Odd coincidence, no?

FIREK2029

24 Jun 2022
Frustrated World Cup GIF

Xbox is getting slaughtered out here. I knew this would happen as soon as Sony got their stock together.

Xbox was on borrowed time and instead of MS taking advantage of PS5 shortages and delivering compelling games they completely dropped the ball and allowed Sony kick up into hyperdrive mode with PS5. Not even COD can save the Xbox Series consoles from this kind of beating. Starfield better be one of the greatest games of all time because once Sony gets Spiderman 2 rolling, MS are gonna need all the help they can get to stop from being steamrolled by PS5.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
So, enough about Xbox, let's talk Switch....

It's trending down, finally, but honestly not by much. I am shocked that they haven't tapped the market out by now but it's clear that they haven't. If necessary there's probably two years of "acceptable" unit sales, followed by a dud year, left. And that's all with the Switch never having had a price drop, unless you count bundling or the lack of an inflation-driven price increase. I still don't get how Nintendo is getting comparable numbers of people to buy in every year but here we are.

Though, personally, I think Switch 2 hits in 2024 and original Switch sales decrease drastically after that, even if it still keeps getting games for a few years.
it's trending down by negligible numbers, and last january spiked with pokemon arceus releasing.

all switch needs to focus on moving forward is closing the gap with PS2 and getting the bagging rights of being the most dominant, best selling console in the world's history.

Nintendo has won

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I think sales will rapidly fall off of a cliff.

I base it entirely on Nintendo history. The last time they had 2 consecutively successful consoles was Nes>SNES. N64 bombed, so did gamecube. Wii was a huge success, Wii U was a disaster. Switch massive success, which means Switch 2 will bomb.

It's like Microsoft and their old patterns of Windows; Good, bad, good, bad, good...
Based on historical trends sales should have fallen off a cliff years ago, they haven't. Even with Covid being over they are only down 11percent, and all with no official price drops.

On your Switch 2 prediction, you are picking and choosing facts there, including irrelevant stuff like how Nintendo consoles performed in the 90s while excluding relevant stuff like how their handhelds have tracked. Post-GCN, Nintendo consoles depended on the strength of their gimmicks to determine market acceptance. Switch was successful across all fields, Wii U universally bombed, Wii hit with casuals but hardcore gamers hated waggle (and game sales suffered for it in later years.)

Now, I think we all suspect the Switch 2 to be a suped up Switch but we don't actually know, and we don't know the tech specs, form factor, etc. either. It's way too early to state it's impending success or failure.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Microsoft playing shenanigans with the Series numbers like when they changed the definition of 'sold' at the end of the 360 generation.

I want to see the split between S and X shipped, sold through and sold. While I am open to correction, I don't believe the Series S numbers are organic.

Series S is as organic as a bag of shit.... I mean fertilizer.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Those numbers are insane though, is anyone still doubting that they want to sell 6+ million this quarter?

I'd love to see how things are shaping up globally, looking forward to see Japan sales figures each week mostly.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Honestly, it would be a great entry point into nex-gen gaming if it just had a fucking disc drive. But then that's the whole point of it, isn't it?

The ram might be a little low too...

But the thing that really gets me is that the storage is so small on it that once you buy it and then an expansion card, it's the same price as the X... so in my mind, I'm asking 'what's the point?'

Not to even mention the game situation.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The ram might be a little low too...

But the thing that really gets me is that the storage is so small on it that once you buy it and then an expansion card, it's the same price as the X... so in my mind, I'm asking 'what's the point?'

Not to even mention the game situation.
The Series console storage situation is a prime example of MS price-gouging on accessories to help offset their console losses. The fact that the Series S uses the same assets as the Series X also puts the lie to the whole "Smart Delivery" marketing bullshit. Any cross-gen game should have used the One assets on the series S, for the sake of a smaller storage footprint.

Lower-fidelity assets running with new-gen effects in HD resolution would be a lot more impressive than new-gen assets with all the effects turned off and running in HD.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Not going to lie, headlines like this in combination with the npd results and gamepass cannibalizing sales thread really remind me of the xbox one reveal back in April (?) of 2013, almost 10 years ago. Like so much bad news for xbox it was overwhelming to keep up with.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Series S is a very uncompelling piece of kit, but honestly it's still what i would opt for over Series X. There's no point in buying disc games for xbox, the series X is really big and ugly, and it's expensive too.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Not going to lie, headlines like this in combination with the npd results and gamepass cannibalizing sales thread really remind me of the xbox one reveal back in April (?) of 2013, almost 10 years ago. Like so much bad news for xbox it was overwhelming to keep up with.
Those were the days.

Remember "Sony too!!!!"?

• haha
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Series S is a very uncompelling piece of kit, but honestly it's still what i would opt for over Series X. There's no point in buying disc games for xbox, the series X is really big and ugly, and it's expensive too.
Series X's only real competition is the PS5, which is even bigger and far uglier. And as to physical discs... they get cheaper over-time. The best part of buying physical is buying used. Means nothing first-party if you buy game pass but nobody, except perhaps a few Nintendo loyalists, buys a console solely to play first party games.