FFXVI Metacritic Prediction

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
When does the review embargo drop
I think the week of release is pretty good estimate.

If they're super confident, maybe June 16th.

Although no embargo date has leaked for FF16, we can look at the series’ past three instalments:

Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin
Reviews – March 14th, 2022
Release date – March 18th, 2022

Final Fantasy VII Remake
Reviews – April 6th, 2020
Release date – April 10th, 2020

Final Fantasy XV
Reviews – November 28th, 2016
Release date – November 29th, 2016

If it lifts ‘week of’ as stated by Reddit user mlk122795, that’s anywhere between June 19th to the 21st. There are some rumors on Reddit pointing to June 15th, but this seems way too early.

• Informative
Reactions: Zzero

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Not only do i think this will be the best reviewed FF in a long time i think the “panicking” and pre-order controversy is gonna end up looking funny in retrospect.

I’ve seen so many non jrpg and final fantasy fans saying they are gonna pick this game up. They are gonna be really disappointed once they play this and go and play FF7R and Rebirth or others in the series and realize they are nothing alike lol

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I haven't played the demo, as prefer to wait for release. But some really great impressions.

All those haters are probably seething right now.

Sony should lock the exclusivity down longer, to make the pc begger race squeel.

Hoping it hits the 90s.

catchew

8 Jun 2023
that demo was an amazing tactic to serve as a prologue. i didn't expect the tones to be more mature in nature. i'm happy this is the only game i pre ordered in years. i really cant see this being under 90. i was already gulping emotionaly from certain events lol and got sunked into its world. 92 would be properly justifiable 94 max for sure. i'm just sure it will get people talking. buzz on the story alone + gameplay.

and yeah i don't get certain fans that are against its gameplay. specially xbox fans calling it devil may fantasy after getting persona and hyping up hifirush (which is very dmc-ish). hiring the combat designer from dmc was probably the greatest thing they've done. its 100% a final fantasy at heart with modern take on the designs from vagrant story and final fantasy xii. i love the tale series where combining moves help the variety of situations and elements. ff16 is just spectacle levels of coolness. very curious to see what scores it gets.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The game is polished with no graphics artifacts. Very stable performance, too.
Graphics looks fantastic
Combat is excellent
Story seems good
I say this should be 90+

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Like my thread said. I still dont think it will be allowed to get more than 89. Ill be pleasantly surprised and happy if it did.
There will complains about framedrops, side missions and repetitiveness

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I have voted via Proxy for Adam and Ghost.

below 70%

kitten youre trash GIF

90% for me

• haha
Reactions: Swift_Star

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Super Mario Odyssey got a 97
Zelda BoTW got a 97
Elden Ring got 96
Zelda ToTK got a 95
Ragnarok got a 94
Resident Evil 4 got a 93

Looking at those score and taking into account the the demo I just played for FFXVI, I have raised my prediction to 98.

I predict FFXVI will be better than all those games.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Super Mario Odyssey got a 97
Zelda BoTW got a 97
Elden Ring got 96
Zelda ToTK got a 95
Ragnarok got a 94
Resident Evil 4 got a 93

Looking at those score and taking into account the the demo I just played for FFXVI, I have raised my prediction to 98.

I predict FFXVI will be better than all those games.
Bloodborne at 92 but Elden Ring at 96 is all I need to know. theres a certain hype you need pre launch to achieve 94+. otherwise itll be low 90s or high 80s despite how great the game is.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Bloodborne at 92 but Elden Ring at 96 is all I need to know. theres a certain hype you need pre launch to achieve 94+. otherwise itll be low 90s or high 80s despite how great the game is.
Red Dead Redemption 2 has a 97 score. I personally love the game but I don't get how some of it's issues like deeply flawed combat were not more divisive.

I think 90+ is a good indication of a GoTY type game but anything beyond that has more to do with other factors like you mentioned, hype, marketing, good will from reviewers, lack of any controversy, etc.

Final Fantasy Remake has a 87 metractic score, to me that's just disrespectful given how good that game is.

Astro's Playroom has a criminal 83 metacritic score. We see games getting inflated scored for being on gamepass and excellent that make great uses of the PS5 features given for free gets no good will towards it. If the exact same game featured Mario it would get a drastically higher score. Same goes for Astro Bot Rescue Mission to a lesser degree.

Last edited: