FFXVI Metacritic Prediction

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I'm guessing about 91 for metacritic...

But I think most people will think it deserved 95+.

There will be one or two outlets that just want to undermine the game in the face of Zelda, which they hold a bias for and due to political issues.
Expect a lower score from places like Edge. Possibly Stevivor etc.

• fire
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
There will be one or two outlets that just want to undermine the game in the face of Zelda, which they hold a bias for and due to political issues.
Expect a lower score from places like Edge. Possibly Stevivor etc.
Oh for sure from Edge and Stevivor.

You’ll get ones trying to be cool and different for traffic, and then you’ll get ones just shilling to keep MS alive. Only God of War survived the negative wave of shilling. Demons Souls too I guess

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
What makes you think 86?
For him, it is looking worse than Halo I
Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

• haha
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
What makes you think 86?

I'll tell you if you guys are able to tell my why is this particular push into making in 2023 a Final Fantasy game out of all a goty candidate. Why I do think it will score 83 - 86 at most (Which is a great score nonethless)

1 - Its a modern FF game. FF has not been the behemoth it once was since the late 90s early 00s. 90/95 puts it on GOTY territory and this wont be the case. Look at the latest releases, good games at best, but typically mediocre. FF lost its mojo when characters started talking.

2 - It does not know what it wants to be: Is it a character action game nowadays? An RPG? That will piss off the traditional FF audience that wants a AAA turn based game. If I want a character action game I play DMC3 or Bayonetta, not FF.

3 - Judging by the demo graphics are pretty good but not best in class, as square games used to have when they were in their golden age. Performance is not that smooth either.

4 - It seems square wants to make a "serious" FF game with XVI. I don't buy it. FF stories have been crap since X.

Its an AAA game so 70 + score its guaranteed unless it has serious issues like Redfall. Its wont be a terrible AAA game either so a score in the 80s is the most likely. Not even FFVII Remake got a 90 MC. Just send this crap no one wanted out and focus on the VII Remake and VI one.

And say what you will but System Shock remake is one of the best games of 2023. Its strengths are what bring the metascore down for modern audiences.

• haha
Reactions: Swift_Star

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I'll tell you if you guys are able to tell my why is this particular push into making in 2023 a Final Fantasy game out of all a goty candidate. Why I do think it will score 83 - 86 at most (Which is a great score nonethless)

1 - Its a modern FF game. FF has not been the behemoth it once was since the late 90s early 00s. 90/95 puts it on GOTY territory and this wont be the case. Look at the latest releases, good games at best, but typically mediocre. FF lost its mojo when characters started talking.

2 - It does not know what it wants to be: Is it a character action game nowadays? An RPG? That will piss off the traditional FF audience that wants a AAA turn based game. If I want a character action game I play DMC3 or Bayonetta, not FF.

3 - Judging by the demo graphics are pretty good but not best in class, as square games used to have when they were in their golden age. Performance is not that smooth either.

4 - It seems square wants to make a "serious" FF game with XVI. I don't buy it. FF stories have been crap since X.

Its an AAA game so 70 + score its guaranteed unless it has serious issues like Redfall. Its wont be a terrible AAA game either so a score in the 80s is the most likely. Not even FFVII Remake got a 90 MC. Just send this crap no one wanted out and focus on the VII Remake and VI one.

And say what you will but System Shock remake is one of the best games of 2023. Its strengths are what bring the metascore down for modern audiences.
1) It's a modern FF game, yet both modern God of War reboots scored 94. Despite god of war ascension sucking
2) it's a pure action RPG. This point doesn't even really make sense, in which way does it not know what it's supposed to be? I've seen plenty of sentiment that the demo won skeptics over. There is a small contingent of haters who hate that god of war became a "sad dad walking simulator" yet here we are.
3) totk does not have "best in class" graphics either. Yet here we are.
4) FF16 is written by the same team that has done the past 3 FF14 expansions all of which scored over 90 metacritic. I'll forgive you for your ignorance but you're simply wrong on this one.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I just have to say God of War: Ascension was a good game. A technical marvel as well. One of the swang songs from when devs use to make incredible outta this world set pieces.

Thankfully Final Fantasy 16 took inspiration from these games.
Yeah GOW Ascension was a good game so idk where that Is coming from.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I meant from a metacritic standpoint it didn't live up to the other god of wars, much like the recent FFs didnt live up to the others
Which is a shame because it's genuinely a fantastic action game with some clever boss fights and the scale was simply massive and the graphics... Well in my opinion it was the best looking of that generation alongside Uncharted 3.

And the multiplayer was very underrated. Critics were pushing the whole franchise saturation narrative at the time and Playstation was ready to Ice the franchise because it sold 3+ million lol..now look at the brand.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

You haven’t played the demo judging by the point 2. 🤷🏻‍♂️ it’s pretty clear what the game is: an action rpg with a good battle system and a political story inspired by game of thrones. Everything else you said is just your usual hater self coming through. It’s pretty clear what the game is.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It just dawned on me while playing Zelda ToTK, FFXVI might end up beating Zelda ToTK and No Man's Skyrim for awards for the same reason God of War beat RDR2.

These open world games that are not story focused overstay their welcome and once the strong first impression is gone so is most of the enjoyment. If Zelda was reviewed today by people that actually played the entire game it would get much less impressive scores.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It just dawned on me while playing Zelda ToTK, FFXVI might end up beating Zelda ToTK and No Man's Skyrim for awards for the same reason God of War beat RDR2.

These open world games that are not story focused overstay their welcome and once the strong first impression is gone so is most of the enjoyment. If Zelda was reviewed today by people that actually played the entire game it would get much less impressive scores.
No way in hell. I played 70+ hours and it's one of the best games I've ever played. I have a female coworker who has put well over into 100 and she doesn't want it to end. The game is insanely great. Far from overstaying it's welcome, I had to finish the game so I would stop playing and thinking about it because I try to have an actual life. Almost no game does that to me these days because I've played and seen it all. Most games actually bore me quickly and I can't sit for more than an hour or so in any one session. There is a lot of weird bias against this series on this board, but the reviews that say TotK is a huge achievement/total masterpiece are being honest.

Stop comparing the two games and just be glad you can have both. That's what I'm doing.

Based on the demo I would put the score for FF at likely high 80s. Like 88 or so.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters