OP
OP
Yobo

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Damn, best in the series I thought.
I tried it as well and just couldn't get into it multiple times. To be fair I only played as Nero but it just never felt that good to play. I much prefer action games that give you edge of the seat risk vs reward systems for partying or dodging over racking up long combo chains

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I tried it as well and just couldn't get into it multiple times. To be fair I only played as Nero but it just never felt that good to play. I much prefer action games that give you edge of the seat risk vs reward systems for partying or dodging over racking up long combo chains
Yeah. It’s why I love Bayonetta’s system.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Red Dead Redemption 2 has a 97 score. I personally love the game but I don't get how some of it's issues like deeply flawed combat were not more divisive.

I think 90+ is a good indication of a GoTY type game but anything beyond that has more to do with other factors like you mentioned, hype, marketing, good will from reviewers, lack of any controversy, etc.

Final Fantasy Remake has a 87 metractic score, to me that's just disrespectful given how good that game is.

Astro's Playroom has a criminal 83 metacritic score. We see games getting inflated scored for being on gamepass and excellent that make great uses of the PS5 features given for free gets no good will towards it. If the exact same game featured Mario it would get a drastically higher score. Same goes for Astro Bot Rescue Mission to a lesser degree.
FF7Remake, Bloodborne, SF5, Returnal and Ghosts of Tsushima are some examples of media bias for me

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
You should try get further in the game, it gets better with Dante. There are three playable characters.

V was the worst, he keeps his distance whilst you use these spirit animals to attack, annoying tbh as you have to keep him at a distance whilst also attacking at the same time. They were trying something diffrent but just didn't work for me.

Nero was better, but his combat felt a bit limited, especially his combos.

But as always dantes multiple combat styles and combo variety outshines the other 2.

Reactions: Lord Mittens

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022

Oh if we are talking about Nero then yeah, understandable!

But Vergil is incredible to play in the special edition.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I haven't finished the demo yet ... it's fantastic visually but kinda light on the gameplay so far, so I would guess high 80s low 90s just based on the spectacle of it all. But again, it might get better.

OP
OP
Yobo

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Oh if we are talking about Nero then yeah, understandable!

But Vergil is incredible to play in the special edition.
Yeah maybe my issue is just with Nero. But I couldn't even be bothered grinding through that

Not sure why they do the multiple character thing, DMC1 and 3 never needed it

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Yeah maybe my issue is just with Nero. But I couldn't even be bothered grinding through that

Not sure why they do the multiple character thing, DMC1 and 3 never needed it

True, but I think it worked well for 5.
I would love a remaster/remake of 3 one day.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Astro's Playroom has a criminal 83 metacritic score. We see games getting inflated scored for being on gamepass and excellent that make great uses of the PS5 features given for free gets no good will towards it. If the exact same game featured Mario it would get a drastically higher score. Same goes for Astro Bot Rescue Mission to a lesser degree.

Just think if astro's playroom came as a pack-in game for the switch. It would be the first 100 rated game in history.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom and Johnic

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I haven't finished the demo yet ... it's fantastic visually but kinda light on the gameplay so far, so I would guess high 80s low 90s just based on the spectacle of it all. But again, it might get better.
Prologue section unlocks a section later in the story which is all gameplay.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Yobo

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
FF7Remake, Bloodborne, SF5, Returnal and Ghosts of Tsushima are some examples of media bias for me
Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone is the only one there way off what it should have reviewed at.

Most of the time they are just incompetent following trends and trying to look cleverer than they actually are. Like panning every open world game not named Zelda or the sheer amount of bad reviews Days Gone got for having a white male lead

Media bias is more evident in things like Skyward Sword reviewing so highly. Or Forza games reviewing highly but then GT comes around and the same reviewers are like "Sim racer? Puts me to sleep 😴"

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone is the only one there way off what it should have reviewed at.

Most of the time they are just incompetent following trends and trying to look cleverer than they actually are. Like panning every open world game not named Zelda or the sheer amount of bad reviews Days Gone got for having a white male lead

Media bias is more evident in things like Skyward Sword reviewing so highly. Or Forza games reviewing highly but then GT comes around and the same reviewers are like "Sim racer? Puts me to sleep 😴"

Agreed, but I still think my semi shill theory is right too lol

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Bloodborne at 92 but Elden Ring at 96 is all I need to know. theres a certain hype you need pre launch to achieve 94+. otherwise itll be low 90s or high 80s despite how great the game is.
yeah, Bloodborne easily their best performance by sizeable margin.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Prologue section unlocks a section later in the story which is all gameplay.
Oh Im aware of that, Im just saying the gameplay Ive experienced so far has been pretty straight forward. Looks to be really strong on visuals and settings. At times the cutscenes look pre rendered IMO. But, you can't even run around and talk to townspeople unless it's someone they want you to talk to. At least so far. It also seems to really want to be Game of Thrones from what I can tell haha. I think it will rate highly but I don't think it's going to be some kind of revelation based on playing the demo so far.

OP
OP
Yobo

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Games that take some risk and reinvent their own wheel successfully tend to get rewarded by critics for doing so. RE4, GOW 2018, BOTW, MGS5, Uncharted 2 come to mind..

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters