Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth had 2nd biggest PS5 launch in Japan only behind FF16! Launch Sales (physical) - 262, 656

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Are you guys mad it didn't get a Switch version? Is that it? Because if it's not I don't get it. PC and Xbox sure as hell wouldn't make any difference there.

It's not SE's fault that PlayStation isn't as strong in Japan as it once were. Despite that, they still release the two most popular big release games there.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Are you guys mad it didn't get a Switch version? Is that it? Because if it's not I don't get it. PC and Xbox sure as hell wouldn't make any difference there.

It's not SE's fault that PlayStation isn't as strong in Japan as it once were. Despite that, they still release the two most popular big release games there.
I don't think the issue is user base.
Switch release could do what? Increase to 500k, 600k first week? That is still too low for a FF in Japan.
Xbox lol with these 2k units old?

It is just the franchise weakened in Japan.
It is now at Tales of / Persona level of sales there.

I wonder if the same happened with Dragon Quest... the last main one sold 900k at week 1 on PS4 alone there... around 2.5m week 1 with 3DS version included.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Ok so sales are what they are, the question is WHY do you think they are what they are now?

Remake sold well, something around 700k first week in Japan. So why is rebirth so much lower? Few theories:

-The ps5 installed base isnt high enough yet, but that doesnt explain why it sold less than 16.

-The episodic nature of the game. I think this could paly a big role in it. Maybe alot of people who got part 1 didnt realize it was midgar only and that made them not want to continue with it anymore? Perhaps Squares lack of transparency when it comes to how save data will transfer from part 2-3 is factor as well (albeit extremely minor)

-Taking 4 years for each chapter makes people lose interest: Honestly this is probably the main reason. FF7s main audience is probably of a certain age group from the PS1 era and that age group has either moved on in life from gaming, or has a family now and doesnt have time.

-The demand for an FF7 remake is an extremely vocal, online minority that doesnt exist in large enough numbers in reality? Not sure this would be the case because part 1 did do well.

-Story changes/Whispers/Not direct remake: I could see this also rubbing people the same way. I dont think changes are all that dramatic in the big picture but from what spoilers ive read of rebirth, it seems they really walked back their ambitions to make whispers change things which indicates to me they got alot of negative feed back about it. Maybe this is a big reason as well?

Im sure i missed a point or 2 but it I think it could be a combination of all of these.

• Informative
Reactions: Umar and ethomaz

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Install bases.

XV: 3.640.602 PS4
Remake: 9.116.923 PS4
XVI: 3.273.600 PS5
Rebirth: 5.345.349 PS5
OK, yeah i cant explain how almost 2 million more PS5's in wild that the newest FF game sells worse than the previous. Unless digital is doing some extremly heavy lifting.

daniel5043

Veteran
19 Jan 2023
Ok so sales are what they are, the question is WHY do you think they are what they are now?
They Don't appeal to the younger generations like persona of fire emblem to much focus on a older generation full of miserable gits

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Remake Released 10 April 2020 - At the time of Release, PS4 Console sales 110 Million - Japan Consoles Only - 7,552,635

Rebirth Released 29 February 2024 - At the time of Release, PS5 Console sales 50-55 Million - Japan Consoles Only - 5,345,349

Anyone comparing sales from Remake to Rebirth are insane BUT the fact its doing so well with a much smaller install base is great.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Deluxera from Resetra PS thread made a point i agree with:

"My opinion on the state of Final Fantasy is that it is a franchise that appeals to an older demographic. These games do fine sales-wise, but they don't reach the younger crowd whose JRPG references are more in the style of Persona, Fire Emblem (post-Awakening) and Hoyoverse games.
I mean look at the faces of the franchise, Kitase, Nomura, Yoshida... all 50+ year old dudes.

That's why even if these games have vastly more production value than everthing else made in Japan, they don't perform as amazingly as other franchises because their appeal is hard limited."

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Remake Released 10 April 2020 - At the time of Release, PS4 Console sales 110 Million - Japan Consoles Only - 7,552,635

Rebirth Released 29 February 2024 - At the time of Release, PS5 Console sales 50-55 Million - Japan Consoles Only - 5,345,349

Anyone comparing sales from Remake to Rebirth are insane BUT the fact its doing so well with a much smaller install base is great.
Yeah which is why I was asking about install bases. Ppl love to just look at a number but not the variables and data underneath.

Reactions: Sircaw

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
These are great results, FF16 is a legendary game, so it's no surprise it sold more than Rebirth. Japan isn't the market it used to be, anything not on Switch or mobile isn't gonna do big numbers. @ethomaz expecting 1m first week is crazy 😂 Tekken 8 sold only 80k first week in Japan, and it sold 2m worldwide. There's nothing to worry about

Devs should continue to ignore Switch, Xbox, and PC. Why?

Switch is a potato, games shouldn't be compromised and gutted for a few extra sales.
Xbox is dead
PC gamers don't buy games at $70 anyway, so not worth adding extra dev time for tiny sales. They can wait for ports since they'll wait for it to drop to $20 anyway. SE made the right move taking the EGS deal, and they should do it again. Epic will pay them a lot more than Steam sales will bring in 1st year anyway. I don't even think FF7Remake has sold 1m on Steam yet.

Reactions: Umar and Airbus

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

The main culprit is not any of the your points, although sequels in FF historically do decently worse than the first one.
The real issue is the pretty abysmal software sales to console sales during this PS5 generation in Japan.
We're seeing a lot of PS5 being sold but the software sales are not there if you compare to the PS4.

And since FF games are only on PS5, there's not real recourse to sell more in the region moving forward.
They're just going to have find a way to get sales elsewhere if they're not changing anything in their release strategy.

I don't think the issue is user base.
Switch release could do what? Increase to 500k, 600k first week? That is still too low for a FF in Japan.
Xbox lol with these 2k units old?

I think it would be significantly more tbh, if such a thing was possible.

Just look at the most recent DQ game released last December.
01./00. [NSW] Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2023.12.01} (¥6.980) - 346.583 / NEW <80-100%>
This is not even a mainline game but a spin-off DQ series.
The game was even supply constrained due to Square Enix underestimated the demand(something that is pretty common for Square Enix to do) so a higher than usual digital ratio for the Switch.

SE made the right move taking the EGS deal, and they should do it again. Epic will pay them a lot more than Steam sales will bring in 1st year anyway. I don't even think FF7Remake has sold 1m on Steam yet.

Epic Games has been moving away and being more selective about doing these exclusivity deals because they've realized it's not bringing engagement to their store like they're hoped it would.
I'm not sure Rebirth would get a deal or it would be a much reduced pricetag that might not be worth it.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Epic Games has been moving away and being more selective about doing these exclusivity deals because they've realized it's not bringing engagement to their store like they're hoped it would.
I'm not sure Rebirth would get a deal or it would be a much reduced pricetag that might not be worth it.
No one knows, but i'm just saying if a similar deal is available to them, its in their best interest to take it. If not, then they'll just have to watch their game unfortunately flop on Steam until it drops to $20

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Why do people keep comparing FF to Persona and Yakuza? Lol

Those games don’t sell half as many copies of Final Fantasy even in Japan. World wide the gap is even larger and they’re all multiplatform

They are both celebrating one million sales while FF is gonna sell over 3 million the first week

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

Those games don’t sell half as many copies of Final Fantasy even in Japan. World wide the gap is even larger and they’re all multiplatform

They are both celebrating one million sales while FF is gonna sell over 3 million the first week
I said this exact thing yesterday. How can we say Yakuza and Persona are successful but then look at the franchise selling 3x more and say its a failure? on just one platform too lol.

I really think there's a lot of hardcore players wishing on the downfall of the series because its an exclusive. Thinking XBOX of all places is whats going to bring these games success is next level delusion.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I really think there's a lot of hardcore players wishing on the downfall of the series because its an exclusive. Thinking XBOX of all places is whats going to bring these games success is next level delusion.

This is all it is

It’s all advanced port begging. Just like the Helldivers 2 stuff, just a different flavor of it

Reactions: Gamernyc78

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

That PS4 install base is only PS4… you forget the 1.5m PS4 Pro.

It was at 9.1m when Remake released.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022

Bcos final fantasy and the elder scrolls series ( at least so far) are the only rpg franchise that can reach that huge milestones and become target for those bitter smaller rpg franchise fans

Theres baldurs gate 3 who won goty last year who reached 10 m+ copies but its a rare achievement for crpg to reach that sales status

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Persona 5 sold more in Japan than both FFXVI and Rebirth 🤷‍♂️

They are both JRPG and that is why the compulsion exists.
A decade ago FF used to sell 10x than Persona or Tales Of in Japan.
Today? Can’t even beat them.