Final Fantasy VII Remake + Intergrade reaches over 7 million shipped and sold digitally worldwide

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
People acting like 7m is bad when ff7 original only ever sold around 8m lol. FF15 was everywhere and took 8 years to sell 10m. FF series is amazing and iconic, but it's never been a game that sold gangbusters like GTA

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Installbase didn't really matter at all for Final Fantasy franchise.

PS4+PS5+Steam+EGS have around 300m installbase but only 7 million units were sold after 3.5 years.
Many games sell less than 7 millions even if they are available on huge install bases like Tales, Xenoblade, Metroid Prime, Pikmin and Fire Emblem.

Keep downplaying FF sales tho, hater 🖕

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
These xbox idiots are in for a rude awakening when FF7 Remake and Rebirth come to Switch 2 when it launches May 2024, and skips xbox altogether. There is 0 reason for FF7 to go to xbox after the pitiful showing Crisis Core did. These people won't play it or buy it.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Guys, you're going off of what some random, braindead Xbox fanboy is saying. There was no mention of FF remake even coming to Xbox, let alone GamePAss.

Seriously has anyone else said anything about this, or is it just this one Xbox fan?
There are users here talking like its coming to gamepass and only 3 months exclusive

24 Jun 2022
How much does Final Fantasy even sell on PC and Xbox?

More than you might think.

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy#Fabula_Nova_Crystalis_series_(XIII_&_XV)

WW it looks like on PS3 XIII did 5 million and on 360 it did 2 million. Estimated to have done additional 330K on XBO, and 2 million on Steam. So Xbox & Steam combined would be almost 50% of that game's total sales worldwide.

That ratio bears out for XV, as well, more or less. ~ 50% between Xbox and "Windows Edition" (Steam), for the vanilla release. What I would've probably hoped to see (and I'm sure certain executives as well) was that with VII Remake Part 1 and XVI, PS sales would've been enough to minimize and make up for the majority of missing Xbox and PC/Steam sales.

In practice though that doesn't seem to have happened. So either the buying audience on PS platforms isn't as large as initially thought, or the games themselves aren't resonating to the degree as thought. While that's a debatable stance for XVI, I would like to say with VII Remake that it's definitely hit all the right notes, and Rebirth looks to continue that, so I'm guessing the new arrangement in terms of the (very short) exclusivity window on PS5 reflects that.

It's just a reality that has to be acknowledged on some level: Sony probably doesn't want to pay the cost Square-Enix are asking to have a larger timed exclusivity window, and it's likely that internal sales projections for both XVI and even VII Remake (at Square-Enix anyway) were somewhat underserved in the exclusivity period after all.

But if that's the case, a 3-month exclusivity window is basically a joke. If Sony and/or Square-Enix want some real answers to those questions, let it go Day 1 on all possible platforms and then see the per-platform sales breakdown. The weird part being, you'd think we already saw that with XIII and XV back in the day, and the exclusivity with VII and XVI was a result of PS clearly demonstrating an advantage there. However, I suppose now that was a projection of an advantage (on Sony & Square-Enix's side) and actual total volume of sales on PS4 & PS5 for those games in the exclusivity windows wasn't large enough to completely make up for the vast majority of absent sales that would've been on Xbox and PC/Steam if those versions came in the exclusivity period.

And adding to that, in which probably the funds Sony provided to cover the absent sales in the exclusivity period, wasn't enough to match expected sales performance of those games on PlayStation platforms. It probably sounds harsh to say this, but I'm just putting it out there because TGS is right around the corner and I just have a gut feeling Microsoft are going to announce a few FF-related surprises coming to Xbox that people here just weeks ago were say would never happen. I feel like they have wormed their way into a tighter relationship with Square-Enix and it's not going to be a nothingburger like previous statements, in part due to the new CEO.

So if you take the mindset I'm taking here, it's much easier to accept anything that gets announced going forward, or other things like say MS make Square-Enix another Sega/Atlus 'strategic partnership' for them.

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
That's probably why Sony could only get a 3-month exclusivity window this time for Part 2. If there was any strategic partnership between them and SE, it's at least severely weakened now, if not over with. So...

February: Initial release (PS5)

June: Steam port and Xbox port (with Part 1 and Part 2)

Fall: Switch 2 port (with Part 1 and Part 2).

And guess which ones they're gonna milk for the most cash upfront? The game itself looks amazing, but I've gotta be honest about things from the business POV and the optics of what that means in the macro. That 3-month exclusivity window makes Sony look weak, and it's a big loss. There's no other way to say it.
Personally I'm not too sure I see Sony as being weak in this instance. Sure, remake was exclusive for a lot longer, but SE already have a built-in userbase from their sales os PC and it doesn't make sense to make them wait a whole year to get the sequel. Obviously it would be in Sony's best interest, but Sony obviously doesn't seem to mind even their own exclusives going to PC and they simply appear to be balancing the Cost-Benefit not only for themselves for the success of SE and the Trilogy too. If part 2 does exceptionally well, they might lock down the final part for a year again. Who knows.

I would see them as being weak if they allow the trilogy to come to Xbox before the release of the third part though, so if that happens, I will totally agree with what you're saying.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
People acting like 7m is bad when ff7 original only ever sold around 8m lol. FF15 was everywhere and took 8 years to sell 10m. FF series is amazing and iconic, but it's never been a game that sold gangbusters like GTA
bad attempt at defending/making excuses for SE.

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
So if you take the mindset I'm taking here, it's much easier to accept anything that gets announced going forward, or other things like say MS make Square-Enix another Sega/Atlus 'strategic partnership' for them.

SE will come crawling back to Sony in the end anyway because of how creatively backrupt MS is as an organisation, and perhaps in a vastly weaker position than are in even today where their stock price has collapsed 30%. I can't conceive of a legitimate way for SE to make money on Xbox other than stacks of cash from MS. Full-price game sales are abysmal and GP is the greatest value-destroyer imaginable for publishers. Considering SE are struggling, can you blame them for warming up to MS's advances? I don't. Personally, I think MS are going to get played here and they're not getting anything except for some smaller titles like Powerwash Simulator. I hope I'm right. Letting MS get mainline FF at this stage of the game would be a massive failure for Sony.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It probably sounds harsh to say this, but I'm just putting it out there because TGS is right around the corner and I just have a gut feeling Microsoft are going to announce a few FF-related surprises coming to Xbox that people here just weeks ago were say would never happen. I feel like they have wormed their way into a tighter relationship with Square-Enix and it's not going to be a nothingburger like previous statements, in part due to the new CEO.

We know that Bloomberg is close with Microsoft so that article yesterday was made to damage the relationship between Sony and Square, paving the way for something with Xbox.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
SE will come crawling back to Sony in the end anyway because of how creatively backrupt MS is as an organisation, and perhaps in a vastly weaker position than are in even today where their stock price has collapsed 30%. I can't conceive of a legitimate way for SE to make money on Xbox other than stacks of cash from MS. Full-price game sales are abysmal and GP is the greatest value-destroyer imaginable for publishers. Considering SE are struggling, can you blame them for warming up to MS's advances? I don't. Personally, I think MS are going to get played here and they're not getting anything except for some smaller titles like Powerwash Simulator. I hope I'm right. Letting MS get mainline FF at this stage of the game would be a massive failure for Sony.

24 Jun 2022
Damn, if there is any chance of it going to Xbox / Gamepass within the year of launch on PS5, then I'm only buying it on sale months after launch.

That's really really terrible.

Considering the sales promos that tend to happen, if the PC versions are only a few months after PS5, you'd probably be best off waiting for that and picking up the trilogy at a good deal.

The port quality on PC could be iffy (potentially), so that is one thing to keep in mind. But then, there's Game Pass, which you just mentioned here. And it's quite possible MS would want to make enough of a statement to just get Rebirth and the other parts of the remake trilogy into Game Pass Day 1 once the exclusivity window on PS ends. Remember, MS practically live for optics: the optics in taking one of the biggest Japanese franchises associated with Sony & PlayStation away from them (in terms of any sort of preferential treatment on PS platforms), would speak volumes.

And to get those games on Game Pass the day they're available on Xbox platforms? MS wouldn't care if that's $500 million or whatever; it's not like they don't have the money to cover it and, again, the optics would be more than worth it for a company like MS. The real question I'd have, though, is why didn't Sony work on solidifying things with Square-Enix during this whole ABK fiasco, and just seemingly put all their effort in trying to stop that deal but have nothing of significance on the side lined up happening in the background.

That's a question for the ages.

Personally I'm not too sure I see Sony as being weak in this instance. Sure, remake was exclusive for a lot longer, but SE already have a built-in userbase from their sales os PC and it doesn't make sense to make them wait a whole year to get the sequel. Obviously it would be in Sony's best interest, but Sony obviously doesn't seem to mind even their own exclusives going to PC and they simply appear to be balancing the Cost-Benefit not only for themselves for the success of SE and the Trilogy too. If part 2 does exceptionally well, they might lock down the final part for a year again. Who knows.

I would see them as being weak if they allow the trilogy to come to Xbox before the release of the third part though, so if that happens, I will totally agree with what you're saying.

Welp, I guess we'll see what happens at TGS next week. At this point though, I'm willing to bet the Xbox version of VII Remake gets announced there, and probably as a Game Pass release. Probably in time for the holidays.

Last year was Persona 5 Royal. This year, probably VII Intergrade. Next year, could be VII Rebirth. Just anything to whittle away at making PlayStation as a platform less unique and squeezing Sony out of position among the biggest 3P publishers in the market. The unfortunate part being, with different people in charge, SIE and PlayStation could've likely solidified all of these things.

We know that Bloomberg is close with Microsoft so that article yesterday was made to damage the relationship between Sony and Square, paving the way for something with Xbox.

Oh I know Takashi's BS narrative and angle, and what he's all about. But, what I said in that post, his crap content had no bearing on. That is just my own opinion formed from observing what has transpired, and the implications thereof.

Juicy Sony acquisition incoming

Buying struggling companies is more Microsoft's MO.

IJS.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
What is with you people and your male pussy bleeding when it comes to MS getting Sony 3d party games? First off, all you are doing is speculating out of fear. The same fear you use when talking about MS buying every studio on the planet. None of what any of you are saying is true.

This site and the PlayStation thread on trashera…..jeez.

We finally have an amazing State of Play and all anyone can do is worry about Sony having FF7 Rebirth for possibly 3 months????? Please calm down.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Xbox is def getting Remake at TGS. The problem with Sony is they are too lackadaisical towards everything this generation. They think the brand is too big to fail. They know 3rd parties can't do without them and so there's no urgency to truly court anyone.

I am not surprised by the weakening partnership because Forespoken bombed. Final Fantasy 16 wasn't a system seller and sold on lower end of expectations.

If FoamStars is a huge success, it will give Sony a shoot in the arm. But know SE it will be a $70 game instead of being a PS+ day one 😂

Reactions: JAHGamer

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Xbox is def getting Remake at TGS. The problem with Sony is they are too lackadaisical towards everything this generation. They think the brand is too big to fail. They know 3rd parties can't do without them and so there's no urgency to truly court anyone.

I am not surprised by the weakening partnership because Forespoken bombed. Final Fantasy 16 wasn't a system seller and sold on lower end of expectations.

If FoamStars is a huge success, it will give Sony a shoot in the arm. But know SE it will be a $70 game instead of being a PS+ day one 😂

Used car salesman just said awhile ago Sony has contracts with FF7R when asked if it will come to Xbox.