Final Fantasy VII Remake + Intergrade reaches over 7 million shipped and sold digitally worldwide

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
And the state of Play thread is all positive? This a different thread. It's almost as if opinions can be dynamic depending on the subject matter.

You literally never want to see anyone say shit about Playstation unless it's shitting on PC ports... opinions are just that opinions. You acting like anything people say in random threads truly matter is weird af too.

I’m not talking about any specific thread. Its the attitude of this site lately. How the fuck can anybody be bothered or mad after today?

I don’t have an issue with Sony being criticized. It’s the exaggeratory doom post when it comes to things like Sony losing 3rd party. I give Sony crap about PC ports yes because that’s something real, tangible, and having a immediate affect.

You people are worried about an unproven future where Sony loses all their partnerships with 3rd party. This current doom is especially strange to me because you’re concerned about a game that’s announced as exclusive to PS5.

Some lost partnership there.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I’m not talking about any specific thread. Its the attitude of this site lately. How the fuck can anybody be bothered or mad after today?

I don’t have an issue with Sony being criticized. It’s the exaggeratory doom post when it comes to things like Sony losing 3rd party. I give Sony crap about PC ports yes because that’s something real, tangible, and having a immediate affect.

You people are worried about an unproven future where Sony loses all their partnerships with 3rd party. This current doom is especially strange to me because you’re concerned about a game that’s announced as exclusive to PS5.

Some lost partnership there.
People here are simply speculating about Sony and SE partnership. It's a basic discussion that is only happening because of something Sony themselves posted. It's natural and shouldn't even be a point of contention where certain are trying to sqaush the discussion from happening.

It's a thing happening even on Twitter, it's not a big deal but it's going to be discussed.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Installbase didn't really matter at all for Final Fantasy franchise.

PS4+PS5+Steam+EGS have around 300m installbase but only 7 million units were sold after 3.5 years.

Unfortunately FF has never been a big seller, it's never pulled COD or GTA numbers. It deserves so much more

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
The numbers are not bad for a remake but should be be a decline for a main title.
The biggest issue here is that the main title won’t reach these numbers and that is driving Square Enix down everywhere.

They needs a big shake up.
How is it a decline

You know 7 is the #1 best selling FF entries now

Reactions: Box

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
People here are simply speculating about Sony and SE partnership. It's a basic discussion that is only happening because of something Sony themselves posted. It's natural and shouldn't even be a point of contention where certain are trying to sqaush the discussion from happening.

It's a thing happening even on Twitter, it's not a big deal but it's going to be discussed.

What’s wrong with Sony and SE partnership though? Looks fine to me. Sony even got Foamstars exclusive.

I’m not trying to stop any discussion. I’m just confused on why this is a hot topic.

Twitter shouldn’t be used for a example anything. All people do is argue and complain and console war on there.

Reactions: Box

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
just as a point of comparison.

the God of War franchise (prior to the soft reboot) was a sub 10M IP. With GOW 2018, it jumped to around 20+M one.

what is the take away?

you dont mess with your IP for over a decade with subpar entries, milking it like crazy and expect for it to grow prestige and must-play status.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
just as a point of comparison.

the God of War franchise (prior to the soft reboot) was a sub 10M IP. With GOW 2018, it jumped to around 20+M one.

what is the take away?

you dont mess with your IP for over a decade with subpar entries, milking it like crazy and expect for it to grow prestige and must-play status.
For every GOW or ER, you can name other big series that never achieved that status.

Tales, Dragon Quest, Resident Evil, Sonic, Persona, Halo, Street Fighter, Yakuza.

Are you saying all these franchises are failures? They need remakes and re-releases to reach 10+millions for each entry.

It took 25 years for Zelda to reach that status but Fire Emblem, Xeno, Metroid, Pikmin, Kirby and Starfox are all flopping one after the other.

Last edited:

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
My personal assumption and assessment of SE extending an olive branch to Xbox recently. We also have a rumor FF7 is being ported to the Switch 2...
Maybe the deal is for a Game Pass day-1 exclusive for powerwash sim 2, but going to Xbox with FF is pointless and actually devalues Game Pass IMO by being the place to play years-old games while your competitor is getting the sequel, exclusively! Let's say for a second that yeah, Xbox get FF7:R1 & FF7:R2 on GP, and then what? Day-1 on xbox for FF7:R3? (presuming Sony don't already have exclusivity locked up for that) Physical/Digital only? Okay... let's see how it all plays out.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I feel like I've stepped into crazy land. Why is everyone worried about FF on xbox all of a sudden? We JUST had an event where Phil Spencer was smug-mugging it up about FF14 finally heading to xbox after a decade. And when asked about FF7 Remake he -clearly- got uncomfortable and said "that's up to Square Enix". You KNOW if he had FF7 in his back pocket he wouldn't be able to resist shouting it from the rooftops. Ya'll need to go outside and get some sunshine cause ya'll are way too depressed all the time, and for no reason.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
For every GOW or ER, you can name other big series that never achieved that status.
but FF had that status. (prestige and must play)

Nintendo's swan song. (FFVI)
PlayStation's revolution and worldwide mega success (FFVII)

this is why i used the word: Grow (that status)

Are you saying all these franchises are failures?
I am NOT saying that.
It took 25 years for Zelda to reach that status but Fire Emblem, Xeno, Metroid, Pikmin, Kirby and Starfox are all flopping one after the other.
Again, you are ignoring where FF comes from. (in terms of its historic significance, financial and critical success).

that bitch (specifically VII) was a milestone for the industry and the medium.

what i am saying is what I wrote (and i allued to this in other posts).

after the merger with Enix, the transition to 3D then HD. Square-Enix couldn't adapt to the new paradigms of game development.

one of the first things they did was FFX-2 and the FFVII compilation (a bunch of games and the movie) = milking the franchise.

that game called Dirge of Cerberus was like: What the fuck is this shit? ...i just looked up....it has a 57 on MC....that is what i am saying with subpar entries. they dilute , hurt and reduced the prestige of this IP and in this case the FFVII universe. (cash grabs).

Then they tried to do the same shit with Fabula Nova Cristallis (or whatever was called) and failed miserably. making sequels that nobody asked for...and the game that people wanted was in dev-hell for a decade...the end result pissed off people that wanted THAT specifically game.

Final Fantasy used to be at the vanguard or bleeding edge of technology and storytelling. They have stumbled their way all these years.

You don't do that and expect not to hurt your IP

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Thats it? Shit, I wouldn't have been suprised if they were announcing 14 million sold. Where did the sales go? I remembered this game being a big deal.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Thats it? Shit, I wouldn't have been suprised if they were announcing 14 million sold. Where did the sales go? I remembered this game being a big deal.
nostalgia purists shitted on the game

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
but FF had that status. (prestige and must play)

Nintendo's swan song. (FFVI)
PlayStation's revolution and worldwide mega success (FFVII)

this is why i used the word: Grow (that status)

I am NOT saying that.

Again, you are ignoring where FF comes from. (in terms of its historic significance, financial and critical success).

that bitch (specifically VII) was a milestone for the industry and the medium.

what i am saying is what I wrote (and i allued to this in other posts).

after the merger with Enix, the transition to 3D then HD. Square-Enix couldn't adapt to the new paradigms of game development.

one of the first things they did was FFX-2 and the FFVII compilation (a bunch of games and the movie) = milking the franchise.

that game called Dirge of Cerberus was like: What the fuck is this shit? ...i just looked up....it has a 57 on MC....that is what i am saying with subpar entries. they dilute , hurt and reduced the prestige of this IP and in this case the FFVII universe. (cash grabs).

Then they tried to do the same shit with Fabula Nova Cristallis (or whatever was called) and failed miserably. making sequels that nobody asked for...and the game that people wanted was in dev-hell for a decade...the end result pissed off people that wanted THAT specifically game.

Final Fantasy used to be at the vanguard or bleeding edge of technology and storytelling. They have stumbled their way all these years.

You don't do that and expect not to hurt your IP
I literally thought you were talking Halo in your previous post.

I would never have put FF into that "once-great" category. The sales aren't great, but they are still big events, have a massive loyal following and due to how they innovate and evolve the game mechanics every entry, there is scope for something truly groundbreaking coming out of the series.

Also, the spin-offs are just that, spinoffs. They don't really hurt the integrity of the mainline games IMO and I wouldn't call them "subpar entries" as they aren't really part of a series. Unlike Halo, which are numbered sequels and each one getting successively worse than the last post-Reach.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I literally thought you were talking Halo in your previous post.
why? what sentence made you believe that?
I would never have put FF into that "once-great" category.
what category? I didn't mention any category.

i just said FF HAD that status of prestige and must play. AND over the years this status has been deteriorated due SE's incompetence.

The sales aren't great, but they are still big events,
as in their marketing and hyped generated by thier
have a massive loyal following
which over the years have become more fractured.

and due to how they innovate and evolve the game mechanics every entry, there is scope for something truly groundbreaking coming out of the series.
maybe for you. The truth is that since X, the entries have become more and more divisive.
Also, the spin-offs are just that, spinoffs. They don't really hurt the integrity of the mainline games IMO and I wouldn't call them "subpar entries" as they aren't really part of a series.
Well IMO they do dilute , hurt and reduced the prestige of an IP.

But this is the thing, from Yoshi-P himself:

maybe be i am asking too much...but read again this:

-"We can kind of...' (used to soften what he is about to say)
-"REGAIN that sense of the FF SERIES is a must buy".
(you cannot regain something that you haven't lost...right?) "Series" (no just one entry)
-" RETURN to the idea that when a FF comes out is a must play".
(can you return to something that you haven't left?)

 Look bro....you and everyone here can bend over backward trying to...i dont even know what are you trying to do....
but yoshi-p's words quite literally states the sentiment inside Square-Enix (and even personally) that FF as an IP is not what it used to be.
and again:
You don't do that (mistreat your IP) and expect not to hurt it.

BUT let's say what I just said is wrong:

you stated:
The sales aren't great,

why then?
IS FF enable to appeal to a bigger audience?...but you said:

have a massive loyal following
so...sales aren't great but still are big events with massive LOYAL following?

LOYAL implies people who buy day one...something is not computing my friend.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Halo went from 20 million units on a single platform to 5 million units to out of business. Those 20 million sold then meant more then it would now as well. Gaming population is much larger and mainstream.

They sure as hell want a FF game that can do 20 million plus. And the closest they have to that is FF14 and I’d expect it to stay their most important game moving forward still.