Final Fantasy VII Remake + Intergrade reaches over 7 million shipped and sold digitally worldwide

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Xbox and PC will be considered home of FF whenever FF16 and remake 1,2 arrive there because FF 13 is available on Xbox through BC and its not on PS.

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
More than you might think.

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy#Fabula_Nova_Crystalis_series_(XIII_&_XV)

WW it looks like on PS3 XIII did 5 million and on 360 it did 2 million. Estimated to have done additional 330K on XBO, and 2 million on Steam. So Xbox & Steam combined would be almost 50% of that game's total sales worldwide.

That ratio bears out for XV, as well, more or less. ~ 50% between Xbox and "Windows Edition" (Steam), for the vanilla release. What I would've probably hoped to see (and I'm sure certain executives as well) was that with VII Remake Part 1 and XVI, PS sales would've been enough to minimize and make up for the majority of missing Xbox and PC/Steam sales.

In practice though that doesn't seem to have happened. So either the buying audience on PS platforms isn't as large as initially thought, or the games themselves aren't resonating to the degree as thought. While that's a debatable stance for XVI, I would like to say with VII Remake that it's definitely hit all the right notes, and Rebirth looks to continue that, so I'm guessing the new arrangement in terms of the (very short) exclusivity window on PS5 reflects that.

It's just a reality that has to be acknowledged on some level: Sony probably doesn't want to pay the cost Square-Enix are asking to have a larger timed exclusivity window, and it's likely that internal sales projections for both XVI and even VII Remake (at Square-Enix anyway) were somewhat underserved in the exclusivity period after all.

But if that's the case, a 3-month exclusivity window is basically a joke. If Sony and/or Square-Enix want some real answers to those questions, let it go Day 1 on all possible platforms and then see the per-platform sales breakdown. The weird part being, you'd think we already saw that with XIII and XV back in the day, and the exclusivity with VII and XVI was a result of PS clearly demonstrating an advantage there. However, I suppose now that was a projection of an advantage (on Sony & Square-Enix's side) and actual total volume of sales on PS4 & PS5 for those games in the exclusivity windows wasn't large enough to completely make up for the vast majority of absent sales that would've been on Xbox and PC/Steam if those versions came in the exclusivity period.

And adding to that, in which probably the funds Sony provided to cover the absent sales in the exclusivity period, wasn't enough to match expected sales performance of those games on PlayStation platforms. It probably sounds harsh to say this, but I'm just putting it out there because TGS is right around the corner and I just have a gut feeling Microsoft are going to announce a few FF-related surprises coming to Xbox that people here just weeks ago were say would never happen. I feel like they have wormed their way into a tighter relationship with Square-Enix and it's not going to be a nothingburger like previous statements, in part due to the new CEO.

So if you take the mindset I'm taking here, it's much easier to accept anything that gets announced going forward, or other things like say MS make Square-Enix another Sega/Atlus 'strategic partnership' for them.
Lmao why are you doomposting over this?

Reactions: On Demand

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Don't know, don't care? You're the one who decided to quote my comment lol.

I'm more concerned about Sony's weakening relations with 3rd parties.

You obviously do care since you and other posters are making up scenarios on Sony losing FF7R.

You are concerned about Sony’s 3rd party relationships based off a big AAA game they have……..exclusivity for?????

I get confused by this site by the day.

Jump to conclusions much?

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
You obviously do care since you and other posters are making up scenarios on Sony losing FF7R.

You are concerned about Sony’s 3rd party relationships based off a big AAA game they have……..exclusivity for?????

I think we are more focused on them only being able to get a 3 month exclusive deal for Rebirth over FF7 Remake going to other platforms. Obviously we are speculating this, but that doesn't mean the discussion is pointless lol.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The numbers are not bad for a remake but should be be a decline for a main title.
The biggest issue here is that the main title won’t reach these numbers and that is driving Square Enix down everywhere.

They needs a big shake up.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I think we are more focused on them only being able to get a 3 month exclusive deal for Rebirth over FF7 Remake going to other platforms. Obviously we are speculating this, but that doesn't mean the discussion is pointless lol.
Why the fuck does everyone keep reading the maximally negative interpretation into these things?

Maybe Sony negotiated a shorter exclusivity period because the other platforms are no longer a threat?

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Why the fuck does everyone keep reading the maximally negative interpretation into these things?

Maybe Sony negotiated a shorter exclusivity period because the other platforms are no longer a threat?
So it's okay for you to assume but other assumptions shouldn't happen because it's not a positive one? Sure!

Yes, I'm sure that totally it. Sony wants shorter exclusive times because everyone else isn't a threat. Lol

I guess that's why they gave up on Sega too.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023

Until Final Fantasy is owned by Sony outright by means of acquisition this is still a timed exclusivity deal agreed upon by Sony and Square the owner of the IP. Hence, the definition of 3rd party. I don't understand the uproar whenever a 3rd party timed exclusivity deal expire and it comes to other platform. That's the whole point of a 3rd party timed deal.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022

“Only able to get 3 months.”

Says who?

You don’t know if it’s exactly 3 months nor do you know what happens after those 3 months. It’s just a contract time window. FF Remake did not go to PC exactly after 1 year did it? No.

The only thing people need to know is the big bold advertising at the end of the trailer: PlayStation 5 exclusive.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
“Only able to get 3 months.”

Says who?

You don’t know if it’s exactly 3 months nor do you know what happens after those 3 months. It’s just a contract time window. FF Remake did not go to PC exactly after 1 year did it? No.

The only thing people need to know is the big bold advertising at the end of the trailer: PlayStation 5 exclusive.
We are going off what we see, what's the issue here?

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
So it's okay for you to assume but other assumptions shouldn't happen because it's not a positive one? Sure!

Yes, I'm sure that totally it. Sony wants shorter exclusive times because everyone else isn't a threat. Lol

I guess that's why they gave up on Sega too.
Is FF7 Remake on Xbox? They "only" had a 1 year exclusivity.

No right? Stfu then.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
We are going off what we see, what's the issue here?

Because you all are criticizing and dooming Sony for no apparent real reason. State of Play was good for a change and that’s all anybody can do? That’s bizarre and weird.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Is FF7 Remake on Xbox? They "only" had a 1 year exclusivity.

No right? Stfu then.
Nah I won't "stfu" you had the option to keep scrolling when you entered this thread.

Nobody talking about 3 years ago, but the possibility it maybe coming to Xbox soon.

Reading is fundamental, so kindly piss off

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Because you all are criticizing and dooming Sony for no apparent real reason. State of Play was good for a change and that’s all anybody can do? That’s bizarre and weird.
And the state of Play thread is all positive? This a different thread. It's almost as if opinions can be dynamic depending on the subject matter.

You literally never want to see anyone say shit about Playstation unless it's shitting on PC ports... opinions are just that opinions. You acting like anything people say in random threads truly matter is weird af too.