Final Fantasy XIV possibly coming to Xbox Series S|X. Phil on stage in Japan |UP| Updated rumors.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
The few that are have to be grabbed. No two ways to go about it. Obviously Sony is hoping some of their shooter GAAS turn out to be a hit thus lessening the need to go and do a big and messy third party acquisition but we won't know if those GAAS will be that successful till years from now, some for several years from now. Meanwhile Microsoft acquired IP's are real, with established audiences and known - hence the "shortcut".
MS ain't about to stop either. Why would they abandon the plan in the middle while Sony is too cowardly to even attempt to react? Nah, they are going all in.

Sony chance would be to answer in the same coin and to also start pushing Xbox out of the console business while they can. Sony naively think that GaaS and PC is going to save them, those two market are going to eat them alive, it's just foolish to think they can pivot now that fast.

Bungie is a way bigger deal than Obsidon, INxile, Ninja Theory, Doublefine, and Compulsion combined.

People are stacking what were indie game developers on kickstarter last gen to one of the biggest multiplayer-live service developers, with a staff of over 1000 people

If bungie aren’t making any single player campaign type shooters it serves SIE no purpose making their games exclusive. They exist for their expertise and to generate revenue.
Bungie, the SIE studios outside of PlayStation Studios that makes Xbox games?

D

Deleted member 223

Sony allowed third party partners dominate the shooter/wrpg space for years. I always said and believed this as a failure on their part - and something they should have strived to rectify. Mind you, those dormant weakness went unnoticed with the good times rolling -- successfully creating a differentiation strengh in action-adventure (industry leading), plus the market-share pendulum swing for the PS4. I don't think anyone expected the Bethesda/ABK deals back-to-back and MS capitalizing on that clear weakness with such furiosity - we talking $77.5 Billion here - shit is wild.

Microsoft astutely read the room and went for the kill on a clear, exploitable weakness. Even more so when Microsoft is well aware of Sony's past failed efforts in creating studios that churn out great shooters - the list of dead Sony devs and IPs from the shooter market is considerable. The only dev standing from that failed war is Guerrila, and Killzone is dead. Resistance from Insomniac never made a fucking bleep either - to their credit, neither did Starhawk, SOCOM, MAG etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
They've allowed third party partners dominate the shooter/wrpg space for years. Microsoft astutely read the room and went for the kill on a clear, exploitable weakeness. Even more so when Microsoft is well aware of Sony's past failed efforts in creating studios that churn out great shooters - the list of dead is big. The only one standing is Guerrila, and Killzone is dead. Resistance from Insomniac never made a fucking bleep either.
Sony has Bungie at least even if they are multiplataform, the RPG situation is a lot more dire. They have absolutely nothing be it WRPG or JRPG.

24 Jun 2022
Okay so here is my problem; remember when I said earlier that Microsoft just seems really good at staying in the news within enthusiasts gaming circles and spaces? This is exactly what I mean. And they have their mascot, Phil Spencer, out there to push it all along.

Sony have, literally, nothing in this regard. For weeks, if not months, it's felt like they are on the back end of being in the media cycle, or having a lead on the narrative. It feels like a lot of PS news we get is either reactionary, or smaller-note in scale. I'm interested in the new games revealed at the China Joy show, but let's be honest: that is dwarfed by Microsoft & Square-Enix coming out and saying they look to bring "even more" games to Xbox (which could very well include more mainline Final Fantasy releases).

It's really about the optics, and one thing Xbox are good at (almost to a fault), is pushing optics. They have an army of astroturfers, shills and influencers who will push the corporate talking points day in and day out, and go after PlayStation as much as possible, while head honchos like Aaron Greenberg and Phil Spencer associate with some of the biggest names doing that very stuff, and put their name & faces out there constantly in the media to act pro-consumer and look like "gamers".

Sony does nothing like that. They're masters at traditional advertising and marketing for their products, but are simply non-existent in this online communications space. I think getting rid of events like PlayStation Experience was a mistake. I think not bringing back PlayStation Home is a mistake. I think not getting something more steadfast going with the enthusiasts community online in terms of communication (with a face that can be attached to it), is a mistake. They need something to gain control of the narrative in these enthusiast circles where Microsoft's astroturfing has taken hold.

And, Sony already have that in prior mascots like Kevin Butler. Just bring that brand back, put a likeable face out there to engage with the community and fans. They can sure as hell do it better than Phil Spencer, and avoid the creepy cult-of-personality people like him and Aaron Greenberg (and more recently, Sarah and Lulu) have formed. Microsoft may have the quantity, but Sony could always have the better quality.

It also just feels like there isn't too much happening with PlayStation ATM when it comes to moves that can cement their position for the future. Cool, you've hit 40 million units, but will that sales trajectory continue? What about PlayStation 6? What happens if Microsoft acquire more 3P developers and publishers Sony have close ties with? What happens if they squeeze themselves into favorable positions with those 3P while Sony gets pushed out? What happens if the live-service/GaaS titles perform worst than conservative estimates account for? What happens to the rest of the 1P output?

Just seems like there's been a lot of Xbox steering the narrative of online discussion the past 18 months and so, and getting gains on the side like becoming the preferred partner of Sega/Atlus, potentially trying to do the same with Square-Enix, buying Zenimax, basically securing ABK, while already owning big IP like Minecraft on top of that, expanding their presence in the backend of gaming, trying to rig regulatory bodies with people who can conveniently make it easier for them to get future acquisitions, etc. And all we're getting on the Sony side of things are live-service/GaaS announcements, reveals for Chinese/South Korea games that are several years away and have no big IP brand association, PC ports, and yet more gaming hardware. And some of these have felt like reactions to various Xbox developments.

When is that actually going to change? I see Spiderman 2; it looks awesome. What's beyond that? What's Sony going to do for PlayStation in the short-to-mid-term, to secure its position 10 years from now, outside of the live-service GaaS plans? Is it really just going to be more timed 3P exclusives, or just exclusives with unproven small 3P Chinese/South Korean/etc. devs (some of whom are exclusively on mobile)? Is that going to be it? Because it kind of feels like that's just going to be all, and that's concerning.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Sony has Bungie at least even if they are multiplataform, the RPG situation is a lot more dire. They have absolutely nothing be it WRPG or JRPG.

Agree about the WRPG situation. Sony needs to fill that void along with a single player FPS.

The JRPG situation is will always be fine even if Sony doesn’t make them.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
@thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Thank GIF

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Agree about the WRPG situation. Sony needs to fill that void along with a single player FPS.

The JRPG situation is will always be fine even if Sony doesn’t make them.
FFXVI shows that Sony could have at least one AAA JRPG IP of their own, there is definitely a market for those games still and not enough are being made.

Why is Sony so restrained when it comes to expanding now after the PS4 and with the PS5 massive success? Seems like they are still traumatized by the PS3 or something.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Okay so here is my problem; remember when I said earlier that Microsoft just seems really good at staying in the news within enthusiasts gaming circles and spaces? This is exactly what I mean. And they have their mascot, Phil Spencer, out there to push it all along.

Sony have, literally, nothing in this regard. For weeks, if not months, it's felt like they are on the back end of being in the media cycle, or having a lead on the narrative. It feels like a lot of PS news we get is either reactionary, or smaller-note in scale. I'm interested in the new games revealed at the China Joy show, but let's be honest: that is dwarfed by Microsoft & Square-Enix coming out and saying they look to bring "even more" games to Xbox (which could very well include more mainline Final Fantasy releases).

It's really about the optics, and one thing Xbox are good at (almost to a fault), is pushing optics. They have an army of astroturfers, shills and influencers who will push the corporate talking points day in and day out, and go after PlayStation as much as possible, while head honchos like Aaron Greenberg and Phil Spencer associate with some of the biggest names doing that very stuff, and put their name & faces out there constantly in the media to act pro-consumer and look like "gamers".

Sony does nothing like that. They're masters at traditional advertising and marketing for their products, but are simply non-existent in this online communications space. I think getting rid of events like PlayStation Experience was a mistake. I think not bringing back PlayStation Home is a mistake. I think not getting something more steadfast going with the enthusiasts community online in terms of communication (with a face that can be attached to it), is a mistake. They need something to gain control of the narrative in these enthusiast circles where Microsoft's astroturfing has taken hold.

And, Sony already have that in prior mascots like Kevin Butler. Just bring that brand back, put a likeable face out there to engage with the community and fans. They can sure as hell do it better than Phil Spencer, and avoid the creepy cult-of-personality people like him and Aaron Greenberg (and more recently, Sarah and Lulu) have formed. Microsoft may have the quantity, but Sony could always have the better quality.

It also just feels like there isn't too much happening with PlayStation ATM when it comes to moves that can cement their position for the future. Cool, you've hit 40 million units, but will that sales trajectory continue? What about PlayStation 6? What happens if Microsoft acquire more 3P developers and publishers Sony have close ties with? What happens if they squeeze themselves into favorable positions with those 3P while Sony gets pushed out? What happens if the live-service/GaaS titles perform worst than conservative estimates account for? What happens to the rest of the 1P output?

Just seems like there's been a lot of Xbox steering the narrative of online discussion the past 18 months and so, and getting gains on the side like becoming the preferred partner of Sega/Atlus, potentially trying to do the same with Square-Enix, buying Zenimax, basically securing ABK, while already owning big IP like Minecraft on top of that, expanding their presence in the backend of gaming, trying to rig regulatory bodies with people who can conveniently make it easier for them to get future acquisitions, etc. And all we're getting on the Sony side of things are live-service/GaaS announcements, reveals for Chinese/South Korea games that are several years away and have no big IP brand association, PC ports, and yet more gaming hardware. And some of these have felt like reactions to various Xbox developments.

When is that actually going to change? I see Spiderman 2; it looks awesome. What's beyond that? What's Sony going to do for PlayStation in the short-to-mid-term, to secure its position 10 years from now, outside of the live-service GaaS plans? Is it really just going to be more timed 3P exclusives, or just exclusives with unproven small 3P Chinese/South Korean/etc. devs (some of whom are exclusively on mobile)? Is that going to be it? Because it kind of feels like that's just going to be all, and that's concerning.

Great post.

It is all really optics.

Beyond Spiderman 2 theres only FF7R2 but that’s 3rd party.

Worrying

D

Deleted member 223

JRPG is not a substitute for WRPG. The audiences are different. Hence why it's imprudent and a mistake to mix the two or entertain ideas that somehow a Square buy will alliviate the problem - it simply does not. No matter how much one tells themselves or wants to believe it - and somehow think that the current business closeness by Sony with Square makes it somehow an easy out. It's not, just a waste of time, even if resources spent can be recouped over time. Plus the last thing you want to do is make Nintendo feel threatened in Japan. The peace dividend in Japan holds - and it should continue to hold for as long as possible.

Western RPGs are crafted to appeal to certain western gamers with themes and art that speaks to their perceived historical or mythological fantasies. JRPG's with anime style inspiration, whether semi-realistic (i.e Final Fantasy) or highly artistic (i.e Genshin Impact) is not interchangeable with that. Bottomline.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

Sony did that pretty well late PS3 and early PS4 gen. Phil Spencer entire act is molded after Shu. Their massive effort to control the narrative probably comes from the trauma of losing control of it completely when the Xbox One got announced. Even their digs at Sony is something that Sony used to do when they had killer instinct back in the day.

Seems like current Sony only cares about communicating their intentions to serve the need of PC players.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
FFXVI shows that Sony could have at least one AAA JRPG IP of their own, there is definitely a market for those games still and not enough are being made.

Why is Sony so restrained when it comes to expanding now after the PS4 and with the PS5 massive success? Seems like they are still traumatized by the PS3 or something.

Maybe Sony need to acquire Level 5. Much cheaper and doable for Sony.

Sony do own the White Knight Chronicles IP.

WRPG I honestly don’t know. Heard Tencent own 30% of Larian. Who else is available?

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Maybe Sony need to acquire Level 5. Much cheaper and doable for Sony.

Sony do own the White Knight Chronicles IP.

WRPG I honestly don’t know. Heard Tencent own 30% of Larian. Who else is available?
Because they have someone like Hermen who doesn't understand the market or gamers. He wants everything to be GaaS. They were shortsighted as per usual. Jim wanting Playstation to be the (home) of Final Fantasy without ever thinking they could lose it.

D

Deleted member 223

A big post to say they should fire their whole marketing department, if not Jimmy included as well. Of which of course, I agree for the most part. They're dinosaurs in the modern age.

24 Jun 2022
Just to calm your doom and gloom down....

Sony has exclusive contracts with Square Enix that prevents games from going to Xbox. FF7 remake is one of those games.

I kinda feel like this is actually supporting a claim that's used against Sony; that games like FF7 and XVI aren't on Xbox because Sony prevents them, not because Square-Enix see little financial incentive to bring those games over.

Suggesting Sony has lockout clauses for games that happen to be made in Japan, years after initial release, just fuels the fire of the batshit insane US senators who were claiming Sony colludes with locking Japanese games off from Xbox. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking that line of argument considering the misguided implications certain other people have tried using it for.

It’s why Phil Spencer was crying like a bitch during the Activision case about Sony hurting them from doing well in Japan.

Yes, and he still is. But just have to keep in mind; it's NOT because so much that Sony prevents those games from going to Xbox. It's because Xbox has historically been such an unattractive option, that the devs/pubs of those games usually choose of their own free will to skip Xbox platforms.

Square Enix will not end up like Sega. Which is not really a good comparison anyway since Altus can’t control the decisions their owner makes.

I think the concern is, considering sometime last gen people said the same thing about Sega/Atlus, only to see where things are now, we can't in fact say for sure Square-Enix won't end up in that type of situation with Microsoft by the end of this generation.

Never take anything for granted; that goes for Sony, as well. They've seen the same emails and unredacted documents we have. If they take Square-Enix's current support for granted and don't think Microsoft won't cook up a means to eventually sweep in and acquire Square-Enix (and foreclose that content off PlayStation platforms as well, or at the very least prevent Sony from ever working directly with Square-Enix ever again), then they could be in for a very rude awakening.

Sony should be viewing Microsoft as a hostile entity that wants them eliminated from the market, and they'll try doing that by isolating Sony from their closest 3P partners, as @Nhomnhom said earlier. That's an approach they'll take in particular for Japanese devs/pubs, in order to potentially acquire them later. And yes despite what some believe, Microsoft CAN buy Japanese developers and publishers. They'd go through a bit more regulatory review but as long as those companies aren't in protected, critical market sectors like military, medical, biology/scientific research or semiconductors, etc., they can be acquired. Just not through hostile takeovers.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022

You falling for the MS PR FUD too? Damn.

Do y’all play games, or only worry about narratives and fake internet hype announcements from MS?

What does it matter how reserved Sony is compared to the bullshit advertising MS does if the end result is still PlayStation delivering games and Xbox delivering nothing?

D

Deleted member 223

Do y’all play games, or only worry about narratives and fake internet hype announcements from MS?

What does it matter how reserved Sony is compared to the bullshit advertising MS does if the end result is still PlayStation delivering games and Xbox delivering nothing?
Because the two are separate things. You're assuming Microsoft's mismanagement is tied to their successful PR efforts, as if one can not live without the other.

What happens when Microsoft stops or lessens that mismanagement while having a robust operation for controlling/setting/leading the narrative, and co-opting the press?

Thus, the obvious - the pendulum will not swing in Sony's favor. Of course an if, but you should always plan for the worst, as opposed to assume status quo always. For the worst is to be surprised and underestimate your rival. The line that divides a fool from an individual with justified arrogance is slim, and can switch at any time.

SIE's marketing dept operates like a fossil. That is a problem. Simple as that. Gaming project management and content release is a different variable inside the equation. As is say, building the right hardware being another variable.

Last edited by a moderator:

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022

Do you think microsofts pushing optics has actually helped them with their gaming division?

If yes. How?

If no. Why would sony follow this failed strategy?

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven

Because some of us look past the next 2 years. None of this will be an issue short term. But will become a major problem by the start of next gen.

As it is now, MS will be able to release 5-6 new AAA games each year, if not more, compared to Sony's, what , 2 or 3? That's just through sheer number of developers and IPs they own. Sure, quality can be discussed but it is subjective. Fallout has a massive fanbase and is one of the biggest WRPGs on the market.

Again, this isn't fear mongering or FUD. This is reacting to a pattern Sony's shown. Even their latest showcase was incredibly mediocre. Sony lacks any communication and their "cooking" plans are incredibly slow to materialize. In an industry that saw 2 major publishers being taken off their consoles in a span of just 3 years, it's worrying.

Last edited: